Why doesn't Ironman make armor from Adamantium?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

masterbruce
is Tony that dumb?

Jade Lightning
. . . possibly?

Scoobless
Because that would be cheating.

no expression

masterbruce
I guess it would make IM more powerful than the writers want

King_Mungi
I remember the days when adamintium was a rare thing in comics, and almost impossible just to find.

Darth Vicious
Plus Amantium is supposed to be rare and the material is not easily manipulated plus isnt he ridiculous over powered now with his extremis armor?

masterbruce
Originally posted by Darth Vicious
Plus Amantium is supposed to be rare and the material is not easily manipulated plus isnt he ridiculous over powered now with his extremis armor?

So, wouldn't he want to be even MORE ridiculously overpowered?

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by masterbruce
is Tony that dumb?

You evidently know nothing about Iron Man, do you? He makes his armor out of an alloy similar to Captain America's shield, which is > adamantium

Nice one kiddo.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
You evidently know nothing about Iron Man, do you? He makes his armor out of an alloy similar to Captain America's shield, which is > adamantium

Nice one kiddo.

that explains why his armor gets torn up like paper on a regular basis while Cap's shield has been in one piece

nice one yourself

Howard_Jones
that explains why his armor gets torn up like paper on a regular basis while Cap's shield has been in one piece

nice one yourself

blink

Regular basis? Care to prove that one? I'm guessing you didn't read the New Avengers annual, and how many armors are still intact.

Soljer
I remember Thor ripping his Thorbuster armor like tissue paper....

Howard_Jones
King Thor, as in I just killed every hero on earth Thor.

Soljer
And? There is no reason to assume that he'd be able to shred an alloy stronger than adamantium as if it were nothing. Hell, King Thor could only DENT Cap's shield with Mjolnir. No way would he have been able to rend it in two with his BARE hands. smile.

bigbran
Originally posted by Soljer
And? There is no reason to assume that he'd be able to shred an alloy stronger than adamantium as if it were nothing. Hell, King Thor could only DENT Cap's shield with Mjolnir. No way would he have been able to rend it in two with his BARE hands. smile. King Thor broke Cap's shield with eyebeams...

Howard_Jones
and Iron Man has taken shots from the Hulk and kept going.

masterbruce
Hulk has also crushed ironmans armor like nothing

Howard_Jones
Hulk has also crushed ironmans armor like nothing

Scans?

bigbran
Scans? It probably happened in a bio...

Howard_Jones
By the way, Hulk has shattered Adamantium on more than one occasion wink

darthgoober
Wait, since when is Ironmans armor stronger than adamantium?

Grimm22
Originally posted by bigbran
King Thor broke Cap's shield with eyebeams...

But lost an arm to wolverine laughing

Howard_Jones
Kinda like how Ben Grimm has been beaten by Wolverine twice?

Grimm22
Kinda like how Ben Grimm has been beaten by Wolverine twice?

Really? no expression

Face scratch was a stalemate as Ben KO'ed him right after

And Enemy of the State doesn't count as it has been proven to be a big piece of PIS

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Grimm22
Really? no expression

Face scratch was a stalemate as Ben KO'ed him right after

And Enemy of the State doesn't count as it has been proven to be a big piece of PIS

It's canonical. It happened.

Grimm22
It's canonical. It happened.

Even if it's cannon is still a crap load of PIS no expression

darthgoober

I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that despite what the fanboys say, there's no proof that Thor lost his arm to Wolverine. Check it out, this is the page in question...
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5745/fullpicue5.th.jpg

Yes Wolverine DID slash at Thor's arm, but if you look in the bottom corner you'll see that his arm is still intact. Here's a close up...
http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1608/page015pf7.th.jpg
See, it's still there. Also notice that when Wolverine slashed at him, it was just above the wrist.

Now later on when he's missing an arm, it's missing from above the elbow. Here's a pic...
http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2361/page020fp7.th.jpg

The entire battle took place off panel, and there's no proof how he lost the arm, but there's no way it was from the intitial shot.

Howard_Jones
Even if it's cannon is still a crap load of PIS no expression

Sounds like someone holds a bit of a bias.

Lucid Lui
And Enemy of the State doesn't count as it has been proven to be a big piece of PIS Proven? By whom? And how?

bigbran
Originally posted by darthgoober
I'd just like to take this opportunity to point out that despite what the fanboys say, there's no proof that Thor lost his arm to Wolverine. Check it out, this is the page in question...

Yes Wolverine DID slash at Thor's arm, but if you look in the bottom corner you'll see that his arm is still intact. Here's a close up...
See, it's still there. Also notice that when Wolverine slashed at him, it was just above the wrist.

Now later on when he's missing an arm, it's missing from above the elbow. Here's a pic...

The entire battle took place off panel, and there's no proof how he lost the arm, but there's no way it was from the intitial shot. Was that Loki? I should read that issue.

Big Sexy
Was that Loki? I should read that issue. Its from Thor "the Reining"

darthgoober
Was that Loki? I should read that issue.
You mean in the background of the last page? Yeah, that's Loki.

manjaro
why would he want to? it would probably be too expesnsive...even for stark standards..seeing as how one of his reg. armors cost about 6billion dollars(really)..spidey's armor alone cost 7 million

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Its from Thor "the Reining"

Which issue of it though? I actually haven't read it.

Soljer
King Thor broke Cap's shield with eyebeams...

Yes, but he only dented it with a full force hit from Mjolnir.

Where as he shredded Tony's armor like it was tin foil.

It's NOWHERE NEAR the durability of Adamantium.

EDIT:

Also, Wolverine > Thing.

Howard_Jones
Do you have any idea how thick Cap's shield is? Also, Iron Man had been hit constantly during that fight. You're making it sound like he just hit him once.

Horrificus

nice one yourself

hahaha

true

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Horrificus
hahaha

true

How is it true?

Horrificus
Do you have any idea how thick Cap's shield is? Also, Iron Man had been hit constantly during that fight. You're making it sound like he just hit him once.

sorry man. the thing that makes Cap's shield what it is, and do what it does is a component that has never been identified.

anything else is "imitation"

Howard_Jones
True enough. It's a similar alloy. Even with that though, nobody short of Hulk's strength has just "shredded it with ease." That's just ranting from someone who knows nothing about, well, anything. Kinda like Masterbruce.

S-Ranger

Aint the fact that because cap's shield is significantly smaller the various material's atoms etc. would be more compact making the sheild stronger as it is of smaller proportations than Ironman's armour so it would take surgeical precision strikes to dent Cap's sheild kind of like how when paper is manipulated into different shapes it can hold up a cup full of water because your making it more compact put when spread out normally it can't.

Where as Ironman's armor is a larger surface and of course he takes more blows so therein his armor is going to get more damaged?

S-Ranger

Wasn't that retconned into weaker and duplicate grades of Adamantium. Although he may have broke through the real stuff on one occasion i think heck the dude break's through everything.

S-Ranger
is Tony that dumb?

Aint the stuff posionous anyway if he was in a suit of it all the time surely it would affect him in someway. It may also restrict his abilitly to move?

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by S-Ranger
Wasn't that retconned into weaker and duplicate grades of Adamantium. Although he may have broke through the real stuff on one occasion i think heck the dude break's through everything.

It was never retconned on panel. He's bent adamantium and its alloys before with his bare hands. big grin

Also, Masterbruce evidently doesn't like anyone without a black cape and bat ears.

S-Ranger
Since adamantium was not developed until after Captain America was revived from suspended animation, this would be impossible. In fact, the shield's material has radically different properties from either, resulting in far greater resilience.

The source of this confusion/error is an entry made in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (and repeated many times since), which stated that the shield was an adamantium-vibranium alloy. However, as revealed via retcon in Kurt Busiek's 2001 Avengers Annual , adamantium was created in an attempt to duplicate the material of the shield.

I don't wheter to take that a face value seeing it's from wikipedia.

Howard_Jones
Well, he's had more than one shield, I believe. I know he's carried several in the run of the Avengers. I used to have a link that described all of them, but I don't now. sad

S-Ranger
Adamantium is used as the key component in several characters' equipment, including:

Wolverine's skeleton
Battlestar's shield
Bullseye's spinal column and strips
Cyber's claws and skin
Moon Knight's crecent blades
one of Mister Fantastic's labs for extremely dangerous experiments
A UNIQUE POWER ARMOR FOR IRONMAN
Agent Zero's combat knife
a unique set of Doctor Octopus' arms.
Gambit's telescopic staff.
Lady Deathstrike's talons and skeleton.
Sabretooth's skeleton
a unique suit for Stilt-Man
the robotic body of TESS-One
some of Ultron's robotic bodies
some of Alkhema's robotic bodies
X-23's claws
Hammerhead's skull plate.

Again i wouldn't like to stake my claim on wikipedia but it seem's he may already have one i'll need to do my homework on Ironman's suits to back it up.

manjaro
that guy mallen from the Extremis arc ripped IM 's armor apart with his bare hands...he had to break out his back up to the prototype...which i believe is the oone he currently uses today, as its the one with some of the systems grafed in the hollow of his bones

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by manjaro
that guy mallen from the Extremis arc ripped IM 's armor apart with his bare hands...he had to break out his back up to the prototype...which i believe is the oone he currently uses today, as its the one with some of the systems grafed in the hollow of his bones

Exactamente.

Alfheim
As far as I know not all adamantuim has the same durability. This is from Marvel.com

An artificially-created alloy of iron that is the most impervious substance known on Earth, with the exception of the unknown Adamantium-Vibranium alloy of which Captain America's shield is composed.

This implies that Cap's shield is more durable than regular adamantuim.

S-Ranger
Yeah exacatly..anyway i think we could all agree it don't matter diddely squat what Ironman build's his suit out of there's always going to be some 'badass' mofo that rips him out of it or damages it beyond repair. Cause to be honest if that wasn't the case he'd be sporting some weirdass extremis hulkbuster thing and be like a transformer or anime mecha. It's just in his character nature and enemies story progression to bust his ass no matter how powerful his suit is otherwise he'd be boring.

Alfheim
Yeah exacatly..anyway i think we could all agree it don't matter diddely squat what Ironman build's his suit out of there's always going to be some 'badass' mofo that rips him out of it or damages it beyond repair. Cause to be honest if that wasn't the case he'd be sporting some weirdass extremis hulkbuster thing and be like a transformer or anime mecha. It's just in his character nature and enemies story progression to bust his ass no matter how powerful his suit is otherwise he'd be boring.

Yeah lol.

Scoobless

Secondary adamantium wink

Wait, since when is Ironmans armor stronger than adamantium?

It's not.

Since adamantium was not developed until after Captain America was revived from suspended animation, this would be impossible. In fact, the shield's material has radically different properties from either, resulting in far greater resilience.

The source of this confusion/error is an entry made in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (and repeated many times since), which stated that the shield was an adamantium-vibranium alloy. However, as revealed via retcon in Kurt Busiek's 2001 Avengers Annual , adamantium was created in an attempt to duplicate the material of the shield.

I don't wheter to take that a face value seeing it's from wikipedia.

From the Official Handbook:

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/4945/mhandbook01534rougherbc1.th.jpg

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Scoobless
Secondary adamantium wink

It's not.

From the Official Handbook:

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/4945/mhandbook01534rougherbc1.th.jpg

If it's not stronger than adamantium, they why have some of his past armors resisted Wolverine's claws? no expression

roughrider

The entire battle took place off panel, and there's no proof how he lost the arm, but there's no way it was from the intitial shot.

Well no, to be fair look at the climatic issues of The Ruling storyline, in the future with his son Magni. Thor is still missing that forearm. But I don't know why he couldn't use the odinforce to regenerate a new one - Odin would have been capable of that. Jurgens wanted the drama of a one-armed Thor fighting Desak in the end, I suppose.

Getting back to the question: I don't know why Tony hasn't used Adamantium. Maybe because it's too rigid, and the legacy of IM armour is magnetized chain mail - that's how he carried it in a briefcase for decades. So maybe he wants the flexibility, and would rather rely on his firepower and shield generator.

Scoobless
If it's not stronger than adamantium, they why have some of his past armors resisted Wolverine's claws? no expression

Insufficient force, bad angle of attack, magnetic shielding, force fields, the fact that it's really hard regardless of the fact that it isn't adamantium, etc....

Originally posted by roughrider
Getting back to the question: I don't know why Tony hasn't used Adamantium. Maybe because it's too rigid, and the legacy of IM armour is magnetized chain mail - that's how he carried it in a briefcase for decades. So maybe he wants the flexibility, and would rather rely on his firepower and shield generator.

And it would be harder for him to work on/upgrade after coating it in adamantium

Howard_Jones
Fair enough.

Soujaboy

Yes with that one arm, no Mjolnir, and no Odin Power, Thor sill managed to leave a lifeless orange rock lying at his feet.

roughrider
Originally posted by Soujaboy
Yes with that one arm, no Mjolnir, and no Odin Power, Thor sill managed to leave a lifeless orange rock lying at his feet.

And the Hulk as well. wink

Disappear
s-ranger, your question/assertion on page 2 about cap's shield v. tony's armor doesn't take into account that, for that example to be logical, both would need identical masses. for example, take a piece of paper, and rip it. then take an identical piece of paper, ball it up, and try to rip that. it is sufficiently harder. the compressed density of cap's shield WOULD provide it much greater durability than tony's armor, if they were of comparable substance and mass. but they aren't. decent idea, though.

What If...
Super-l33t-mega-run on sentence.

Completely incomprehensible

0/30

Scoobless
I understood it .... no expression

Mider999
why are people saying king thor denting adimantium is like a big feat, i mean the guy is a skyfather i would be suprised if he couldnt destroy the armour, hulk breaking adimantium would have to count on how strong he is, he was strong enough to pick up thors hammer once why not break adimantium.

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Mider999
why are people saying king thor denting adimantium is like a big feat, i mean the guy is a skyfather i would be suprised if he couldnt destroy the armour, hulk breaking adimantium would have to count on how strong he is, he was strong enough to pick up thors hammer once why not break adimantium.

Anybody understand a word of that? All I got was Strong.

Grimm22
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Proven? By whom? And how?

The fact that Ben went down because of a stab in the arm is easily some of the worst PIS i've ever seen no expression

Only Wolverine fanboys try to justify it by saying that Wolverine hit a nerve.

Either way, i'm not getting into that right now

Grimm22

It does make more sense for Thor to lose an arm and an eye to Savage Hulk and Thing than it does from Wolverine erm

Soljer
It does make more sense for Thor to lose an arm and an eye to Savage Hulk and Thing than it does from Wolverine erm

Because....The Hulk or the Thing have the ability to cut one of Thor's arms off? What the f**k?

Wolverine taking down the Thing is pretty much universally accepted by now, save for the few who can't let their Fantastic Four Love go.

And lastly - when, outside of Ultimates, has the Hulk EVER lifted Mjolnir? erm.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mider999

Hulk has never - I repeat, NEVER - picked up the real mjolnir. What was shown in the still-vaguely-defined Ultimate Universe cartoon and comic, doesn't count for anything.
It doesn't matter how strong he is, it's not about strength. He isn't worthy. Captain America picked it up once, because he is.usaflag

Scoobless
Originally posted by roughrider
Captain America picked it up once, because he is.usaflag

Because he is what? no expression

Rewmac
What about Extremis Armor. What is that made of?

Soljer

Noble, and worthy, and all that crap.

Scoobless
Noble, and worthy, and all that crap.

And that has what to do with the American flag? ... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Originally posted by Rewmac
What about Extremis Armor. What is that made of?

Extremis is a virus, not a suit of armour.

roughrider

Because he's worthy. And Hulk will never be.

db_renji
So, what exactly is the Extremis Armor and what can it do? Is it that much stronger than the regular armor?

8urs
It's not "Extremis Armor" it's just the armor he's been wearing since his Extremis update. It changed him, not his armor, but now since he has the interface stuff in his body, he doesn't need as much in the armor.

Soljer
Originally posted by db_renji
So, what exactly is the Extremis Armor and what can it do? Is it that much stronger than the regular armor?

The largest changes were that Tony got a healing factor, the Armor is now stored in the hollows of Tony's bones, so he can activate it with a thought, the armor is operated by thought, so his reaction speeds are VASTLY increased, AND, his 'thought' speed was also increased, to further increase his reactions.

Disappear
the undersuit of the armor is store within his bones. the actual armoring is separate, though tony can activate it through "vectored repulsors," which basically attract each piece of armor to the part of him it needs to be. or so i've heard.

anyway, i wonder if cap would still be capable of lifting the real mjolnir these days.

Grimm22
Because....The Hulk or the Thing have the ability to cut one of Thor's arms off? What the f**k?

Wolverine taking down the Thing is pretty much universally accepted by now, save for the few who can't let their Fantastic Four Love go.

And lastly - when, outside of Ultimates, has the Hulk EVER lifted Mjolnir? erm.

Hulk has never lifted Mjolner in Ultimates no expression

and no it isn't "love" it's the basic facts

Just because you have some obscure grudge against me doesn't give you the right to make such ridiculous accusations

Soljer
Hulk has never lifted Mjolner in Ultimates no expression

and no it isn't "love" it's the basic facts

Just because you have some obscure grudge against me doesn't give you the right to make such ridiculous accusations

Basic facts? Which basic facts? The fact that Wolverine CAN cut Ben's hide, and could easily take ben out with a few well placed stabs? The fact that Wolverien is faster than Ben, so should be able to place those Stabs with relative ease?

Just checking, wink.

I have no grudge against you, and I'm not making any ridiculous accusations. I didn't even mention your name, so I don't see what your big problem is.

Innerhype
The Extremis Armor IS a step over his previous armor, Tony himself stated that it's faster, lighter, and tougher. It's simply better than his old armors could ever hope to be.

Anyhoo, the reasons I think Iron Man doesn't use Adamantium in his armor is because the stuff is just hard to get and way too hard to work with, and it's an option that could do more harm than good because of that, but that doesn't make Iron Man any less powerful by a noticeable amount.

The actual armor's formula is incredibly tough, and it certainly approaches the raw durability of Adamantium, factor in the integrity fields that strengthen the armor and it may be damn near equal to Adamantium or even tougher. Supposedly, Tony stated once somewhere that his armor was tougher than Adamantium, it have yet to confirmed that myself though....

Scoobless
Originally posted by Innerhype
Tony stated once somewhere that his armor was tougher than Adamantium, it have yet to confirmed that myself though....

I've never read a comic with him saying that.

Fanboy

Nice one kiddo.

Captain Americas shield is not Adamantium but a material stronger then it that is why Wolverine can not cut through his shield.

Fanboy
http://img169.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fullpicue5.jpg

Adamantium being melted here.

Darth Vegas
First and foremost, the main reason why writers don't have Tony make an armor out of pure adamantium is because it would basically make Iron Man almost completely impervious to harm (aside from King Thor's eye beams and Magneto's powers).

That would make the character extremely boring b/c he would basically be unbeatable (a la Pre-Crisis Superman). There would be no drama whatsoever.

All of those "Buster" armors are nice and all but to me, they're simply plot devices.

The best moments that I enjoy about Iron Man are when his armor malfunctions or when it becomes severely damaged because that's when you see the truly best part of the character of Tony Stark emerge; seeing him use his intellect and ingenuity on the fly. That part of his character is what I enjoy the most; seeing how he comes up with ways to defeat opponents when he can't completely rely on his armor or when he knows that he's clearly outmatched (ie. using CLOC to beat Sentry). To me, that's what so great about the character of Tony Stark (aside from all of the obvious cool armors).

Comicwise, I'd say that Tony doesn't make an armor completely out of adamantium is because:

1) it's rare
2) it's heavy
3) a denser, and heavier armor would place a huge drain on his power supply

Maybe he could lace the surface of the armor with adamantium, but again, with the magnetic forefield already surrounding the armor, it's overkill.

IronNerd
Okay guys, so I am relatively new in both forums and comic books, but I know a thing or two about real science and iron man. Tony Stark does not want a downgrade! What I mean by that is that his Extremis armor is nanotech. Nanotechnology is only so sought after because of molecular rearrangement. It can change the structure of molecules, replicate, and fix things. This means that it, at any time, could be as strong or weak as it wanted. It could be tin one second, and vibranium(Captain America's shield) or adamantium the next. With nanotechnology, there really are no more upgrades, so don't look forward to the new suits anymore, because extremis has to be destroyed before there is anything but a downgrade. The only way I see that Iron Man could go farther is by using medical extremis armor, making him the actual suit.

IronNerd
Vibranium is not that strong, it just is so impervious to vibration and energy that you either overkill or it does not have a scratch. Sorry guys, but it is not a question of overkill. It already is overkill. Marvel writers just aren't real scientists, because anyone could tell you that nanotech could not be beaten by anything. Anything, save for better nanotech

IronNerd
BTW Howard_Jones obviously never read Captain America cause it's made of Vibranium

lft4ded
I do have a question about something that keeps being brought up in this thread. I didn't think it mattered how thick adamantium was because it's supposed to be impervious to any change once its set, outside of re-arrangement on a molecular level.

Darth Jello
Adamantium is heavy, insanely expensive, and inflexible making it pretty impractical as armor. Carbonadium is more flexible but is highly radioactive so it would poison everyone nearby and probably break down at some point.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.