No Hobbit for P.J

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Vicious
Im not sure if this was posted already, if it was I apologize in advanced.
Apparently The Hobbit and another prequel to LOTR will happen but Jackson wont direct. How can the studio be so stupid, after all the billions P.J made them they get greedy and as a result PJ wont direct. Its ridiculous. PJ is to LOTR what Lucas is to Star Wars.

'Rings' director taken off 'Hobbit' film

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- New Zealand director Peter Jackson, who scored worldwide success with his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, said Tuesday he will not be making the movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novel "The Hobbit" or a planned prequel.

In a letter posted on a Lord of the Rings Web site, Theonering.com., Jackson and partner Fran Walsh said a top executive from Los Angeles-based New Line Cinema had called to tell them the studio was moving ahead with "The Hobbit" movie without Jackson.

"Last week, Mark Ordesky called Ken (Kamins, Jackson's manager) and told him that New Line would no longer be requiring our services on The Hobbit and the LOTR 'prequel,"' Jackson wrote.

"This was a courtesy call to let us know that the studio was now actively looking to hire another filmmaker for both projects," he added. New Line Cinema holds the rights to produce "The Hobbit," and Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer the rights to distribute it.

A spokesman from Wingnut Films, Jackson's production company in the New Zealand capital, confirmed to local media Wednesday that the letter was genuine. He spoke on his standard condition he not be named.

The announcement comes amid an ongoing dispute between Jackson's Wingnut Films and New Line Cinema over the amount Jackson was paid for "The Fellowship of the Ring," including DVD payments.

While Jackson has not said how much he believes he was underpaid, The New York Times last year quoted his lawyers as saying it was as much as US$100 million. He is suing New Line Cinema over the shortfall.

The Dominion Post newspaper in the New Zealand capital Wellington quoted Jackson as saying that because he and Walsh would not discuss the movies "until the lawsuit is resolved, the studio is going to have to hire another director."

"We are very sorry our involvement with 'The Hobbit' has ended this way," the pair added.

Plans for Jackson to make a US$128 million movie version of the sci-fi video game Halo were also scuppered this month after backers 20th Century Fox and Universal Pictures pulled out.

Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy grossed nearly US$3 billion at box offices worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/11/21/hobbit.jackson.ap/index.html

coolmovies
Thats a shame thanks for the info

A.D. Skinner
No matter who directs this film, it is going to be a huge box office hit. Yes, there are a lot of dedicated fans that are going to gripe about P.J. not directing this film, but in the end, they will all go and pay their money to watch it for we are truly Tolkien fans at heart.

Thanks for the info, and let's all just hope that it isn't as bad as the animated version of the story.

Flying High
ahwell...guess we'll see it from a different view...

Darth Macabre
In a way, I'm happy about this. I mean, sure, I'm disappointed P.J. won't be directing, but it also means the movies going to come sooner.

Draugwen
Now I'm scared blink

ESB -1138
I wouldn't say Jackson is to LOTR is what Lucas is to Star Wars I mean it's not like Jackson made LOTR; Tolkien did. Hopefully they will get someone who is a good director. Jackson did well with LOTR but the success also came to those who helped him rewrite the script to make LOTR more movie friendly.

coolmovies
ya i agree with u there we will have to see who will make this one ?

Darth Vicious
Originally posted by ESB -1138
I wouldn't say Jackson is to LOTR is what Lucas is to Star Wars I mean it's not like Jackson made LOTR; Tolkien did. Hopefully they will get someone who is a good director. Jackson did well with LOTR but the success also came to those who helped him rewrite the script to make LOTR more movie friendly.

I agree with u to some extent but it was P.J that brought LOTR to life, in a worthy manner. To me he got what MiddleEarth is and should be pretty much figured out. A new director would have to start from scratch. Im curious to see who it will be but I know one thing, He has some huge shoes to fill!

Draugwen
Ditto...

Leggy_n_Merry
Oh no. Well, obviously I am disappointed that Peter isn't doing it, but yeah as people have said we'll just have to see what it's like.

FullOfSith
way to ruin a seemingly good idea...

i dont even want to see what could happen to a LOTR film if its not done with PJ, Weta, and the writing crew.

studios suck

Naz
I just hope that even if Jackson isn't directing, it will still be on par with the other lotr films.

coolmovies
I dont mind if he does not make The Hobbit becouse hes allready given us LOTR the best films ever made

TheOnes2
Sam Raimi has been approached to direct

Draugwen
who? ^^''''

thefallen544
Don't get me wrong I liked Jackon's directing. But at the same time I'm annoyed by the changes he made (Elves at Helms Deep?!) With that being said I love the LOTR films almost as much as the books for their own reasons. I do think its good that we have a new director. Whilst Jackson would have done a good job it is possible a new director can out a new angle on things and a fresh interpretation on how he wants to shoot the Hobbit. This is fitting with the tone of the book which is different in iteself to the tone of LOTR. Just hope they do a good job.

S-Ranger
Originally posted by thefallen544
Don't get me wrong I liked Jackon's directing. But at the same time I'm annoyed by the changes he made (Elves at Helms Deep?!) With that being said I love the LOTR films almost as much as the books for their own reasons. I do think its good that we have a new director. Whilst Jackson would have done a good job it is possible a new director can out a new angle on things and a fresh interpretation on how he wants to shoot the Hobbit. This is fitting with the tone of the book which is different in iteself to the tone of LOTR. Just hope they do a good job.

You got to look at it both way's though Jackson made the changes cause he felt they would progress the movie.

For all we know who ever direct's The Hobbit could change it in way's that will just leave us all like WTF what a disaster.

But the proof will be in the pudding.

TheOnes2
Originally posted by Draugwen
who? ^^''''

Director of the Spider-man movies

Blaxican
It could be worse. George Lucas could direct it.

"well...I decided to make Bilbo completely CGI animated, so that he can be "limitless", same with Gandalf, and we'll have Frank Oz do him.

BackFire
http://movies.ign.com/articles/747/747498p1.html

There is still hope for PJ directing.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'd still put a lot of money on him directing it. If not, then Guillermo Del Toro, anyone?

Blaxican
Tarentino should do it, lol.

Hewkii_Dude
Damn!

Slyððering
I hope it isn't done. Period.
The LotR-films have bastardized the story enough, at least in the view of the common people....

Akira99
I'm more interested in seeing who the actors are than who is directing it

Draugwen
I'm going to watch it anyway, but I think if they choose other actors for roles that appeared in lotr itself I'm gonna watch it with horror O.o

Barker
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/film.hobbit.reut/

An escalation in the war of words between New Line co-chairman Bob Shaye and "Lord of the Rings" filmmaker Peter Jackson appears to be nixing any possible reconciliation between the two -- or any chance that Jackson will direct the trilogy's prequel, "The Hobbit."

In an interview with the Sci Fi Channel news service Sci Fi Wire, Shaye said Jackson will never make another movie for the studio and said the filmmaker just wants more money.

"I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore," Shaye said. "He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

In response, Jackson issued a statement Tuesday that did not attack Shaye but aimed at clarifying his issue with New Line. Jackson said the lawsuit stems from the studio's refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" and that it has denied his repeated requests to audit "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King."

"Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to its contractual obligations and promises," Jackson said. "It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."

Kind of sucks.

fini
GOOD.

How much more money does he want??? WHo the hell does he think he is Spielberg??

LMAO

jainasolo55
i think its a shame he did a great job on lotr im sure he would do just as good with the hobbit

thefallen544
Hrm, I don't like a lot of the things he changed with LOTR and I appreciate I am in the minority prefering to see Glorfindel over Arwen save Frodo even if there "needed" to be a big female role in the film. Or the Elves at Helms deep in order to make it look like the Elves were not leaving Middle-earth where in fact it was left to men to defend Helms Deep its little things like that. That just...bug me..

fini
as for movie making, involving Arwen more in the story MADE sense.......... not to us the book loving fans, but it did.

The elves coming to Helm's deep was wicked!!!!! even if it 400% totally wrong.

There are things in the movie that PJ did **** up completely with, but this current quarrel has nothing to do with how he made the Trilogy.

Bar-en-Danwedh
Originally posted by fini
as for movie making, involving Arwen more in the story MADE sense.......... not to us the book loving fans, but it did.

save for all that stuff about Arwen and Aragorn at the end of Return of the king (the book). It's more or less there...

but if they get someone else to direct the hobbit it better be Terry Gilliam or Jean Pierre Jeno or someone descent like them.

i don't want to find my self catching a preivew that starts with an explosion and the words "jerry Bruckhimer (sp) presents..."

fini
its not that they dont think that he's the best man for it. Pete would be the best man to make the Hobbit but thats not the point.

BUt honestly, are you gonna employ someone who is suing you because they want more money on top of the 1/4 billion that they already made?
He's a director that in the international world has made 4 films........ 3 from material already published and a remake. He still has a long way to go to start making demands of $50 million +

Rampant ox
But the movies that he has made, albeit few, have been some of the best movies ever to be produced. The number of awards that he has picked up because of his work is astonishing, and he beat many great directors to get them. Besides, I feel quality is better than quantity in this case. Also, going by what Mr Jackson said, he is wanting the money that is owed to him anyway. "Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to its contractual obligations and promises," . So I dont see what the problem is personally - if what Mr Jackson says is true.

On a lighter note I think it is a shame that he wont be directing 'The Hobbit' and I sincerely hope that they can find someone who will be able make it a masterpiece like 'LOTR' was.

Ushgarak
Merged.

These claims of greed are very ill-founded. As mentioned, this is a contractual dispute. If PJ is right, New Line have deliberately not paid him money owed.

If your workplace didn't give you a month's wages, would you be greedy for suing them to get what you are due, hmm?

aldisyoyo
lol maybe elijah could play bilbo

Mace Skywalker
Originally posted by Akira99
I'm more interested in seeing who the actors are than who is directing it

I was just about to say the same thing.

aldisyoyo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhZrkcll0WY

aniron
GOOD NEWS!!!! I'VE HEARD THAT DUE TO A PETITION ON THEONERING.NET AND COMPLAINTS FROM LOTR FANS NEW LINE HAVE CHANGED THEIR MINDS AND PJ IS ALLOWED TO DIRECT THE HOBBIT SHOULD THEY DECIDE TO MAKE THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
If not, then Guillermo Del Toro, anyone?

I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching Pan's Labyrinth and I'm not so sure I trust Sam Raimi. Raimi has a cheese factor that is way too noticable in his films, which is great for the evil dead franchise, but it took me out of the movie in the Spider-Mans. Del Toro would be awesome.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
I was thinking the exact same thing when I was watching Pan's Labyrinth and I'm not so sure I trust Sam Raimi. Raimi has a cheese factor that is way too noticable in his films, which is great for the evil dead franchise, but it took me out of the movie in the Spider-Mans. Del Toro would be awesome. yes I don't want Raimi's campy little hands anywhere near the Hobbit.

ADarksideJedi
That is strange a man and me was talking about this at work just last week.He told me this but I was not sure if it was true or not.I guess he was right.
THey should let him directed.If he does not the movie is going to suck!jm

P"C-ster"
Raimi should never be allowed to touch this film!

lilylidou
I think another director can do good too

Blakjackson
Let's not forget Phillipa Boyens and Fran Walsh people! They were the ones that brought the literary adaptation to the film. Peter couldn't have done it alone! Peter got the visuals, but Phillipa and Fran wrote the dialogue. If Sam Raimi directs, the film will look great I'm sure. But, if it is not adapted well, the film will not have the same feel and will flop. Not to mention, there are a lot of ringers that are in love with Peter Jackson's vision. New Line is gonna piss a lot of people off if they don't swallow their pride and admit that they goofed on their accounting. Peter took a big risk trying to get these movies made. He literally went into debt before the Fellowship was released into theaters. Bob Shaye should be kissing Peter's ass for grossing $3 billion in profits for New Line. Yeah.....that's right.......$3 billion.

Violent2Dope
I hope Samuel L. Jackson directs the film.smile

exanda kane
Originally posted by Blakjackson
Let's not forget Phillipa Boyens and Fran Walsh people! They were the ones that brought the literary adaptation to the film. Peter couldn't have done it alone! Peter got the visuals, but Phillipa and Fran wrote the dialogue. If Sam Raimi directs, the film will look great I'm sure. But, if it is not adapted well, the film will not have the same feel and will flop. Not to mention, there are a lot of ringers that are in love with Peter Jackson's vision. New Line is gonna piss a lot of people off if they don't swallow their pride and admit that they goofed on their accounting. Peter took a big risk trying to get these movies made. He literally went into debt before the Fellowship was released into theaters. Bob Shaye should be kissing Peter's ass for grossing $3 billion in profits for New Line. Yeah.....that's right.......$3 billion.

Your right on the ball. smile

History Buff
I've never read the book but those that have say its going to be VERY HARD to Top the novel..

Barker
http://movies.ign.com/articles/812/812289p1.html

jwank

Kelly_Bean
That's really depressing..I was really looking forward to another good movie directed by Peter, dealing with Lord of the Rings. I had been waiting for a few years. sad

Melcórë
Originally posted by Barker
http://movies.ign.com/articles/812/812289p1.html

jwank

If that article is true, there may be hope yet. Some of those rumoured directors are simply laughable.

Rapscallion
Del Toro reminds me so much of Jackson it's scary. I don't know that i'd want him to direct the hobbit necessarily though. PJ is far and away the first choice.
As for Bob Shaye he sounds like the biggest @$$-hole, crying like a little kid and bashing Jackson in public. PJ didn't bring this into the lime light and insult shaye. If you have a buisness problem with someone you deal with it like a grown-up and work it out, not sever all connections with them, refuse to talk to them, and issue a very public statement in which you accuse them of being arrogant, greedy, and that you'll never work with them again. He then goes on to say how he gave PJ a quarter billion like that's an excuse for (supposedly)not paying him. You can't not pay someone just because they're rich, specially when the person in question earned your company 3 billion dollars. And lets not forget that New Line isn't exactly doing so well financially and if they lose the lawsuit they'd be in a spot of trouble.

sorry for the rant. this really pisses me off. at least they seemed to realize that they can't afford to not make it.

Mr. Bacon
they might be close to making it now big grin

Melcórë
Meh....I'd prefer to not be made, y'know?
The LR-films were amazing....but I've found that they ruined the literary-value of the stories in many people's minds.

The Secret Fire

The Secret Fire
Plus without Weta Workshop & Weta Digital it will be nothing.

Elessea
I don't know. I mean, I love PJ and the entire crew from lord of the rings as much as the next person. And i think they did things with it no one else would have been able to, and it's thanks to them that I fell in love with Tolkien, and fantasy to begin with.

But I loved the Hobbit before I knew the rest of the Rings books existed, because I loved it as a kid, and we did a play of it, etc. But the whole book has a very different feel to it than Rings. It is a childrens book, and the whole theme and plot, and characters...it is very different from Rings, and I think i'd be interested in seeing the spin a new directer puts on it (again. nothing against PJ, because I love his stuff. But that's not happening, new line wont change their minds on this.)

I dunno, I just think it could be interesting to see an entirly different film, just like it's an entirly different book. Because if Jackson does it, it will feel like a part of Rings. Which it is, but not really. It is its own seperate entity, and I think a new director could draw that line there.

Melcórë
That's not what exactly what I meant, but....I'm too tired to elaborate just know. stick out tongue

Batman Returns
i think hes only producing it now, right?

exanda kane
Yeah but the Hobbit won't be made for years now because of the lawsuit. Tolkien Enterprises try really hard to villify themselves.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.