Leona Lewis - X Factor (British American Idol)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
Here is 21 year old Leona Lewis. I usually don't watch this god awful show but for once, someone with talent has appeared on it ...she has an amazing voice. Simon Cowel has fallen head over heals for her..suddenly a lot of Americans are taking an interest in her..

She's booked to appear on the Ellen Show soon. Ellen has been watching it and thinks she's great.

She may have the potential to crack America..I think she can make it her voice is very powerful. Here's her performing

Summertime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbVqs5BfRFc

Bridge Over Troubled Water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cwv_H16Sns

she's done more performances..they are all on youtube

anyway..yeah I think she's gonna go far..I know America is particularly hard to crack..I wish her all the best..

Alpha Centauri
No real artist would ever appear on that show.

-AC

LovelyOne
what show Ellen show or X-factor?

cuz sure as hell X-factor is beneath her

oh and she hasn't even won the contest yet and she's causing a slight stir over the pond already lol

Victor Von Doom
She's a very good singer, but you'd have to question why she is on such a show, with that kind of ability. She might have no musical talent beyond mimicry or adaptation.

LovelyOne
she tried hard to get a record deal and almost gave up, her style isnt really what record companies in the UK look for..this was her last shot..She does mimic but she also has a unique touch to her voice..well IMO anyway...almost all female singers today mimic one another lol

here's another one

Sorry Seems to be The Hardest Word:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goKl9wyynXM

Alpha Centauri
Precisely then, she tried to get a record deal.

She's after fame, not artistic credibility, and anyone with artistic credibility would never go on those shows. Having a musical ability doesn't mean a thing. Christina Aguilera is technically a brilliant singer, but if they discovered her via American Idol she'd be nothing but a puppet.

-AC

reggie_jax
hope she ****in loses. thats what that ***** gets for daring 2 aspire 2 be anything more than a gash

LovelyOne
well..even if she loses she has a record deal anyway..then we will see what happens..I'm wondering if you guys will be eating crow..Maybe I will laughing out loud But I think you guys are being a bit harsh, she's a nice girl..she's modest unlike most of the people in the business

I just find it interesting that she hasn't even released a song or anything and already she's stiring up a lil bit in America...Lionel Richie is very interested in her too.

I also don't think you understand how hard it is or a mixed race, young girl to get a record deal in the UK despite how talented they are its just not what they jump to sign..her style isn't really what the music scene is about over here at the moment so that makes it harder.

I think its shameful that it took a talent contest to get an amazing voice like her recognized, we haven't heard anything like her in this country ever before..not that kind of power in in a voice anyway..she should have been signed up a long time ago..but instead whats popular over here are talentless boy bands sick

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by LovelyOne
she's a nice girl..she's modest unlike most of the people in the business

Unless you know her personally, this is exactly the type of gullible bs that causes these people to sell albums.

I also don't think you understand how hard it is or a mixed race, young girl to get a record deal in the UK despite how talented they are its just not what they jump to sign..her style isn't really what the music scene is about over here at the moment so that makes it harder.

Oh don't play the race card, please.

If she has such a genuine talent, it shouldn't matter to her what the current trends are. Real music fans can tell where real talent is, and she'd get fans anyway if she is talented enough, she doesn't need X-Factor, but she's chosen it because she's after fame and fortune.

I think its shameful that it took a talent contest to get an amazing voice like her recognized, we haven't heard anything like her in this country ever before..not that kind of power in in a voice anyway..she should have been signed up a long time ago..but instead whats popular over here are talentless boy bands sick

I suggest you do some research, there are many talented English female vocalists. PJ Harvey and Kate Bush to name two.

The thing we don't need for the state of music is simple; If young musicians see getting signed as the ultimate goal, they'll do anything to get signed, and then we have more puppets.

-AC

LovelyOne
well actually my friend knows her..

secondly I'm white and it is hard for mixed race/black people to get places in thios country, My cousin is mixed race..he strugles to get decent jobs despite having more experience and higher grades then many of the other people who get the job instead of him..

...there were about 7 black people in this competition and they have all been voted out and utter crap has managed to stay in when these black singers were much more talented than these idiot little white boy bands that are still in the competition...

she's the only mixed race person left in the competition next to utter garbage..and believe me I think the utter garbage are going to win because A. We have a very sexist voting public and B. We have a rather racist voting public..not that these people know they are being racist..they just dont seem to fall in love and vote for w the young black men/women like they do with the talentless good looking white men in the competition..even the white women dont survive the vote even if they are about 1 milion times better than the white men up against them

she chose to do the X Factor because she felt she should try one more time..she was about to not bother and just stick with secretary work..this girl can SING its her passion..she's not utter shit like Cassie whats her face who have no talent, pretty features and just want fame and fortune..

Leona sings because she likes to make people happy..my friend knows her and she says she's very genuine..

I've never heard of PJ Harvey and Kate bush..yet this whole country is buzzing about Leona because many of us have never seen anyone like this emerge from our country..even some major people in the US are spotting her..

Victor Von Doom
Those voting trends aren't necessarily racist. Perhaps not even race-based: though I do suspect it's the latter.

People who vote for X-Factor are hardly great music fans. Or even...not idiots.

Alpha Centauri
well actually my friend knows her..

secondly I'm white and it is hard for mixed race/black people to get places in thios country, My cousin is mixed race..he strugles to get decent jobs despite having more experience and higher grades then many of the other people who get the job instead of him..

...there were about 7 black people in this competition and they have all been voted out and utter crap has managed to stay in when these black singers were much more talented than these idiot little white boy bands that are still in the competition...

she's the only mixed race person left in the competition next to utter garbage..and believe me I think the utter garbage are going to win because A. We have a very sexist voting public and B. We have a rather racist voting public..not that these people know they are being racist..they just dont seem to fall in love and vote for w the young black men/women like they do with the talentless good looking white men in the competition..even the white women dont survive the vote even if they are about 1 milion times better than the white men up against them

she chose to do the X Factor because she felt she should try one more time..she was about to not bother and just stick with secretary work..this girl can SING its her passion..she's not utter shit like Cassie whats her face who have no talent, pretty features and just want fame and fortune..

Leona sings because she likes to make people happy..my friend knows her and she says she's very genuine..

I've never heard of PJ Harvey and Kate bush..yet this whole country is buzzing about Leona because many of us have never seen anyone like this emerge from our country..even some major people in the US are spotting her..

Let's look at the dynamics of your claim: You are complaining because mixed race and "black" people don't have a chance to become corporate puppets as much as other races? Surely this would be a plus.

Either way, it's nothing to do with race, and as said just above, people who watch X-Factor and vote on it can't be considered music fans or even smart people.

You obviously lack experience in music other than that which you see on TV and hear on the radio. Kate Bush is one of the most talented vocalists this country has ever produced, infact, there's probably not many vocalists -- popular or otherwise -- that can top her ability.

On that note; It doesn't matter if Leona is nice, polite or anything else. If she's not in this for the art, which she's not, then f*ck her and f*ck her "talent". If she refuses to use it on her own terms and through hard work and be satisfied with what she can do alone, she doesn't deserve praise.

-AC

Nellinator
Two things:
1. She does have a wonderful voice and I would respect her if she turns out to be a good solo artist after the show, making her own music and stuff.
2. Kate Bush is awful. I can't stand her at all. Lots of people seem to like her though...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
Kate Bush is awful. I can't stand her at all. Lots of people seem to like her though...

My point was that she has an almost untouchable range.

-AC

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Good set of lungs on 'er.

jaden101
and therin lies the irony...because look what happened to all the winners of these past shows

steve whatshisface....cancelled his tour cause he only sold 150 tickets for the 1st gig

michelle weegiepuddin...probably serving/eating chips in some dingy backstreet chippy

alex whatshername from the bbc's x factor equivalent....dont have a clue what happened to her

gareth('s not mad) gates....MOBY DICK...JAWS...FLIPPER...MARILLION...ditto

resounding successes...all of them

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Am I reading this right; Gareth Gates became a fish?

I always thought he was a bit wet.

Ba-doing-ba-doing.

jaden101
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Am I reading this right; Gareth Gates became a fish?

I always thought he was a bit wet.

Ba-doing-ba-doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJMtRfZHKSU

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
My point was that she has an almost untouchable range.

-AC
I haven't really been exposed to her range. She can sing extremely high yes, but what does she sound like of she drops an octave?

§P0oONY
If she wins or loses the best she can hope for is a one hit wonder.

Nellinator
To be fair, some reality show contestants have become quite successful. Clay Aiken, who I definitely do not like, has done quite well and Carrie Underwood was just named Female Country Vocalist of the Year. Marty from Rockstar INXS has seen his band do decently well and I assume that many from Rockstar Supernova will do well. But then again some of them were already doing well enough.

LovelyOne
She's signed to Simon Cowell at te moment but lots of people in America are trying to sign her now..apparently..I'm not sure if its true..but they are very interested it seems..

I think it may be better if she doesnt win it for some reason..it may actually help more. The exposure of winning a crappy show like that can sometimes ruin it for the winner.

the amount of views she has on youtube matches the amount found with videos of existsing stars out there today...and she hasnt even won it or released a song yet.

she's already very, very popular.

and Nellinator thanks for the nice comments

Alpha Centauri
She's signed to Simon Cowell at te moment but lots of people in America are trying to sign her now..apparently..I'm not sure if its true..but they are very interested it seems..

I think it may be better if she doesnt win it for some reason..it may actually help more. The exposure of winning a crappy show like that can sometimes ruin it for the winner.

the amount of views she has on youtube matches the amount found with videos of existsing stars out there today...and she hasnt even won it or released a song yet.

she's already very, very popular.

and Nellinator thanks for the nice comments

You've spent more time talking about how famous she will become than her actual voice, and it's that kind of thinking that'll ruin her.

-AC

LovelyOne
I was talking about hw popuar she IS..already and she hasn't even released a track yet, meaning many people think her voice is spectacular, she's rather popular....I wasn't talking future tense when talking about how popular she is in case you didnt notice..

I love her voice. I heard some of her stuff on myspace she has recorded a few songs(unreleased) and IMO on those tracks she doesn't sound Mariah Carey-ish..she has her own style.

She sounds pretty damn good live compared to people like Xtina and Mariah Carey..Mariah carey singing "fantasy" live? big let down for me..

these tracks Leona recorded are not made to sound better by computer like most people's now days..she's all natural and it sounds pretty flawless

As it does when she performs..one or two notes are screechy but she will only get better with time..Week 6's performance compared with week 1 shows just how far this girl has come in confidence vocally and only in a matter of weeks

AC ...I'm kinda guessing you dont like typical pop/rnb music like Mariah Carey and such??

Alpha Centauri
For the record, Christina Aguilera has an extraordinary vocal range, within the whistle register to be exact, and she does pull said notes off live.

AC ...I'm kinda guessing you dont like typical pop/rnb music like Mariah Carey and such??

You're right. I don't like typical R&B and pop, I like music with meaning and character.

Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross, Al Green etc, nothing typical about them. The fact that R&B has become a genre plagued with typical artists singing typical songs is what irks me. If she's gonna come out crooning in the rain about how much she loves/hates her partner, or singing about parties just like everyone else, then she might as well stay at home, because it's a waste.

The fact that she's even on the show has written her off for me. She will get a deal, win or lose, so she shouldn't have gone on there anyway.

-AC

LovelyOne
WOW she sang "I Will always love you" Live the other night..I then youtubed Whitney's live version of the song and IMHO, Leona outshone Whitney by a mile...and she was sick with tonsilitis too during this performance. Leona is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbuvLJnAysM

Alpha Centauri
I'm gonna stop you there, and just ask; How much music do you listen to?

The fact that you're treating this girl as though she's the second coming is worrying.

-AC

LovelyOne
what the hell are you talking about?? I don't think she's the second coming lmfao...I'm just amazed by her voice.

I listen to lots of music and lots of artists but I do have my favorites.

sadly one of my favorite artists does not have a thread on this board and if I started one on him I would probably get bullied for it..

anyway...

I think once leona wins and releases stuff she will be one of my new faves..she's already got a few demos on her myspace and she sounds pretty cool.

Like it or not this is a blossoming star before our very eyes, heck she already has forums dedicated to her look at the description for the vid..it comes from her forum. ..and I'm now a fan of Leona..whats wrong with being a fan of hers? She's good enough to have fans..

jaden101
what the hell are you talking about?? I don't think she's the second coming lmfao...I'm just amazed by her voice.

hate to see what you'd be like if you heard jeff buckley

Victor Von Doom
I would hazard a guess.

lol this is not good he sings like a girl, not leona thoguh, who is the best rofllamamaolmaoforrofl.

Uncanny, I'm sure you will agree.

*I know it's only marginally similar, but I enjoyed writing it. The underlying point remains the same.

jaden101
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
but I enjoyed writing it.

dont it just make you feel all liberated?

Victor Von Doom
Let's not go nuts.

LovelyOne
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2699/sdsdfgsdfgsdfdsssro7.jpg

Well, an update on her. Firstly Leona lewis was the 2006 X-Factor winner (the X-factor is a British variant of American Idol BTW with Simon cowell included) I made a thread on her around the same time last year, people were quick to say she'll die out like all the other X-factor stars, they said she wasn't that great etc etc. She released her X-Factor single which of course went to number one in the UK and in doing so Leona snatched Britney Spears's record away from her for fastest selling female artist in the world. And yes after that it would APPEAR that she simply vanished off the face of the earth like "every other x-factor winner"

But something makes her very different to the other X-Factor contestants

During X-Factor, because of Leona's outstanding and flawless live vocal performances, Whitney Houston's manager was literally fighting to get Leona singed to his label in the US. He won and she has been signed for 10 million dollars and for the past year, she has been putting together one MOTHER of a debut album, working with some of America's top producers and song writers (yes Leona co wrote the majority of the songs on the album). I've heard 9 of the 13 tracks and all i can say is, I believe this will be a huge album in 2008..and to the Americans, just because you don't know who she is yet, doesn't mean you wont...believe me, you will and soon.

She recently reached No1 in the UK with her new single "Bleeding Love" which is now the fastest selling single of the year, she's outsold the top 5 put together.

She's due to be released in the US and worldwide some time early next year.

Bleeding Love video(nearly at 4 million views):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sF84pIhP5UM

and a recent rendition of Snow Patrol's run that she did LIVE on Radio 1. Radio 1 got bombarded with texts and emails demanding that it be played again, and so they did...remember this is live and flawless
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pgdRHH1gis4

and if you're wondering what the fuss was about on X-Factor..well here:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vbuvLJnAysM

jaden101
why do you write this as if its some kind of added bonus that artists write their own music?

§P0oONY
It's a shame she is going to end up like every artist to come from a reality TV show....

Oh wait, no... It's not a shame.

LovelyOne
lmao, oh sh wont vanish..she has a contract for 5 more international albums.

lets wait and see hmm? I wonder who will be eating crow.

Jaden, of course its a bonus, it means the person is not a manufactured tool of the music industry, It means if she's successful its because of her own input and not completely someone elses. She's been writing, playing and recording music the majority of her life, was some what of an independent artist throughout most of it and its all added to this album.

Alpha Centauri
Jaden, of course its a bonus, it means the person is not a manufactured tool of the music industry, It means if she's successful its because of her own input and not completely someone elses. She's been writing, playing and recording music the majority of her life, was some what of an independent artist throughout most of it and its all added to this album.

Artists should always write their songs on their own, it's not a bonus, it's not some amazing accolade, it SHOULD be the default that people expect.

Unless you are covering a song or specifically want to work with someone else on your songs, you should write them yourself or the people you are in a band with.

She isn't seeking out people to write with, she needs them and they are paid to be there by the record company because they are the ones who control what her music sounds like. She doesn't.

Also, if she's been doing "what she loves" for her whole life, then it makes it even worse that she gave up, went onto X-Factor and agreed to more or less become a corporate puppet in exchange for a bit of fame.

-AC

vintageSW77
a hyped up horse faced puppet knocking out bland insipid tripe

Yawn

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Another singer from a staged program. Will she ever come to the states and sing on american tv?

LovelyOne
yes she will, isome time this year or next
------------------

and may I just ask the majority of people here what your favorite types of music are?

Im guessing indie bands, metal, etc etc??

that would explain your dislike of Leona.

I find it hilarious how fans of this music literally dislike anything but it, and anyone who likes songs like Bleeding Love are simply "mindless sheep" who buy into commercial music. Is that the only reason why we like it? You think anyone that likes it is just following everyone else?

very closed minded if thats the case.

LovelyOne

Piggle Humsy
Her new single 'Bleeding Love' outsold all top 5 singles in the charts here put together or something. crazy blink

I like a lot of the stuff on her new album.

I assume they are songs off her album.. I heard them on myflashfetish.

I thought it was gonna be a total failure which would have been a shame cause she actually has talent.

She is on course to break the record for Britain's fastest-selling debut album aswell apparently.

anyways... I do like her stuff.

no expression

Victor Von Doom
To be fair, that's usually true. It's music from a TV show.

jaden101
she's going to become that huge she's already taken to appearing on shitty daytime tv talk shows in the UK...

as for lovelyone saying the majority of people on here liking indie or metal...that may be the case...but that doesn't relfect at all on leona lewis making bland insipid generic pop/rnb

its not like there aren't any artists making good fun pop music that has a large appeal...bands like the hoosiers and tiny dancers for example...then you have people like nicole willis and madeleine peyroux making good rnb/ soul

and they all write their own music

the problem with mainstream pop is all the songs for all the artists r written by a small bank of writers who tend to be fat old men (despite writing songs supposedly from a girls pov) who are commissioned to churn out reams of samey pop songs for many different singers...and lets call them singers rather than artists cause artists actually concieve their own ideas. unlike most pop performers

LovelyOne
well....first British female in 20 GOD DAMN YEARS to reach No1 in the USofA

thats as long as i've been alive...

i can safely say that I called it back in 2006 smile im always right,

jaden101
the irony being that she had to turn herself into a mariah carey clone in order to do it

dropped off the radar this side of the pond although not to the extent that people like steve brookstein and the fat chick did...

most of these people do get no 1's...and then thats it...the record company has made their money and then leaves them to their fate

LovelyOne
no she didnt..she got to No2 with her second single last month behind Duffy.

thats hardly "dropping off the radar" mate, how about you actually do some research before making claims without any basis to them.

and no she isnt anything like those other X-factor winners over here, at all, she actually has talent see.

Alpha Centauri
It's no good if you're just gonna be a puppet.

She's turned herself into an Americanised Mariah-Clone..rey. She's even done similar photoshoots.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
'Credible' bands do that as well though. Facking mugs.

Alpha Centauri
Yih, yih, thih dih, yih.

Lostprophets for one. Always mugs, though.

-AC

LovelyOne
yeah..a REAL puppet, cant write her own songs or play her own instruments..um..YES she can and we'll probably see it wth her next album....what you gonna say then?

"oh she's...um...well, shes FAT"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=idpKUAlluhA&feature=inbox

makes me laugh how we have so little support for our own people in this country when they do well..she actually co-wrote most of the current album anyways

cant wait for her to start writing more and being confident enough to play her guitar and piano on stage when she's singing her own songs.

oh and BTW..she's No1 for a second time in the US LOL

she has a shit load of potential on all musical fronts..she really is the entire package..and just because you dont see the entire package YET doesnt mean its not there..nay sayers would do well to remember that before mouthing off.

dont judge too quickly on her part, something tells me Leona will be a major lplayer in today's music scene expressing song writing ability, playing instruments and of course singing.

and believe me, im always right.

LovelyOne
a lot of major artists throughout history, were slightly manufactured at the start of their careers, even the greatest of the great but they showed their true potential a tad later on

Leona has a ton of it that the majority of people are not seeing just yet but its there just brimming under the surface.

Alpha Centauri
Co-wrote is no good to me with those kind of people.

SLIGHTLY manufactured? She's entirely manufactured. She is famous because of Pop Idol.

Until she writes all her own songs and plays her own instruments, I'm not going to assume she can.

She's a manufactured puppet.

You can't say she IS the entire package and then admit that none of us know it. You say we can't assume she doesn't have it, you can't assume she does. There is more historical evidence and current evidence to suggest she isn't a true musician, than to suggest there is.

So YOU are the one who needs to prove it. She didn't perform anything on her album besides vocals, so why assume she plays anything with the ability to write?

She's shit, she makes trite music and she won't last THAT long.

Oh, and by the way, being number one means nothing. Bob the Builder was number one.

-AC

LovelyOne
she does write her own songs..she's written an entire album full of them, she plays her own instruments again..just because you dont see it YET doesnt mean its NOT THERE, you obviously didnt see the video..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=idpKUAlluhA&feature=inbox

BEFORE X-Factor^^^

who would have thought little manufactured Michael Jackson would grow up to show how much true talent he had

MOST artists are manufactured with their first album because their record lable want to launch them right, get them noticed..its often AFTER their frst album that you see the true potential because people already know them and love them and will listen to their own shit.

she does play her own instruments she's just said she's not confident enough to do it yet on stage..but iMO thats BS, her record company probably wont let her yet..thjey have a bit of a tight hold on her

Alpha Centauri
Most ARTISTS launch themselves and use the label as nothing more than a means to distribute music.

They start THEMSELVES. Leona couldn't, she needed Pop Idol. If she didn't need Pop Idol, she'd not have gone on Pop Idol. The truth is, she's nothing special, but she needed to be hyped as something special so she would sell records.

The video is just songs and pictures, it's not footage.

She never played ANYTHING on her album, so why should we believe she can play anything at all? YOU are the one HOPING she can. You've never seen her play, you're guessing she can.

You're wrong, and you know it.

-AC

LovelyOne
THAT video consists of TWO of Leona's own songs from her Twilight album, she wrote the ENTIRE ALBUM, she wrote the musical score on it too..I have that album. So that video proves more than you think

im not hoping she can play instruments, she used to go to gigs and unsighned talent competitions and play her own instruments whilst singing her own songs, people wo went to them have confirmed so and said she was pretty damn good.

oh believe me it wasnt X-factor that really launched her X-Factor have covered up a LOT of her musical history she tells everyone she's new to America..totaly BS she was in the US working with mariah carey's song writers and other US producers and song writers. One producer spent 70 GRAND on her producing tracks..how odd that she appeared on X-Factor when she had ALL that going for her ay?

lol im not wrong, I just see the bigger picture, you obviously cant see it Michael jackson was discovered on a TALENT SHOW...does that mean he's classed like you class Leona? no because he's shown us that he is a talented song writer and dancer

leona DOES have the potential because theres, demos, there's albums, there's gigs, there's instruments, there's 70 grand record deals in the US ALL before X-Factor and we will mist likely see her express her entire talent a tad later on. She'll be in the game for a long time IF she's allowed to simply show it..

she knows what she's doing..she's not a little newbie to the whole scene and if she wants to be more creative, she will. IMO she wants to be launched right so she's letting people take the reins at the moment but she'll push for what she wants soon enough.

LovelyOne
i find it very interesting how she was doing well in the US before X-Factor because she as going to have her songs released on a decent lable over there. Apparently she was going to have a launch but not a major launch.

then she suddeny appears on X-Factor the following year, wonder why

because she's shrewed when it comes to the music scene, going on X-factor would give her a bigger launch and she knew more of the world would see her if she appeared there rather than being launched on her previous record lable. Interesting how X-Factor states that people cant go on X-Factor if they are signed to another lable..she was it seems.

she dropped her US record company without even paying them after they spent 70 grand on her.

and IMO, she'll drop cowell and Co when she's ready to move to bigger things. OR she'll threaten to leave if she cant get more creative control

she didnt need X-Factor she just used it to her advantage.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Don't worry, whoeveryouare. AC loves this Leona character, but he needs you to convince him that his heart is true. Last time, he crashed and burned when he found out that Mariah is made from chicken-sperm and gutted pigs. Be gentle with him.

jaden101

Victor Von Doom
I don't get the fuss really. She's a better vocalist than 99% of other vocalists. That's what she is, a singer. Concert musicians don't write their own music, but they're not shitter musicians than some mediocre rock band who happened to create some BS. If you do your own stuff and it's shit, then you've made shit stuff.

Eon Blue
I'm not too fond of her, but I can't really say much (since I haven't heard much).

I do dislike shows like this, though.

LovelyOne
first British artist EVER to have a No1 single and No1 album on the US charts at the same time.

go Leona make up proud!

LovelyOne
ur so stubborn Jaden, you ignore everything im saying just because she hasnt shown us in the mainstream yet doesnt mean she is incapable of writing a song!..I've shown you what she's done before X-Factor and in terms of writing songs, she's just not allowed to yet, as do most debut artists in the mainstream and she does play the guitar and Piano as she says on Tyra here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZ_6_JZ_2vo

and dont ask me why the audience cheers when she says what race she is..they're american so...I dunno..race seems very important over there

Victor Von Doom
ur so stubborn Jaden, you ignore everything im saying just because she hasnt shown us in the mainstream yet doesnt mean she is incapable of writing a song!..I've shown you what she's done before X-Factor and in terms of writing songs, she's just not allowed to yet, as do most debut artists in the mainstream and she does play the guitar and Piano as she says on Tyra here:

and dont ask me why the audience cheers when she says what race she is..they're american so...I dunno..race seems very important over there

You don't make the best case for her, that's probably why.

jaden101

it's got nothing to do with being stubborn...it's got everything to do with being right...you claimed she writes her own stuff....i gave you the facts to prove otherwise

the end

you're argument is that she wrote an album before she was famous...so did hundreds of thousands of other people...they were shit as well...and hence the reason they're still not famous...but at least they stick to their principles and keep writing their own music regardless

the reason she's famous, on the other hand, is because she won a talent show by singing other people's songs...now she's released an album...of other people's songs

let me tell you the way real musicians become known

they buy cheap nasty equipment paid for by money they've earned in their shit part time jobs..they practice and practice and practice...they meet other people who've done the same thing but with different instruments...they practice togther...and practice and practice...they write some songs and they practice and practice and practice...they play some local gigs for payment in beer....they write more songs...they get better....people leave the band and people join the band...practice practice practice...writing writing writing...eventually they've played enough local gigs to have a decent local reputation...they go slightly further afield to other towns and cities and play to about 10 people in dingey little backstreet pubs....they get a few support slots for touring upcoming bands...their reputation grows...eventually they spend a couple of weeks touring all the while working in their shitty jobs...they pass their dodgy demos to touring bands and radio stations and journalists and everyone else they think can help....eventually they get noticed....get a record deal...get a proper EP or album recorded...get some promotion behind it...a year or so down the line they're playing in front of a few hundred....more touring...more writing...more practicing...the story goes on

Eon Blue
Originally posted by jaden101
it's got nothing to do with being stubborn...it's got everything to do with being right...you claimed she writes her own stuff....i gave you the facts to prove otherwise

the end

you're argument is that she wrote an album before she was famous...so did hundreds of thousands of other people...they were shit as well...and hence the reason they're still not famous...but at least they stick to their principles and keep writing their own music regardless

the reason she's famous, on the other hand, is because she won a talent show by singing other people's songs...now she's released an album...of other people's songs

let me tell you the way real musicians become known

they buy cheap nasty equipment paid for by money they've earned in their shit part time jobs..they practice and practice and practice...they meet other people who've done the same thing but with different instruments...they practice togther...and practice and practice...they write some songs and they practice and practice and practice...they play some local gigs for payment in beer....they write more songs...they get better....people leave the band and people join the band...practice practice practice...writing writing writing...eventually they've played enough local gigs to have a decent local reputation...they go slightly further afield to other towns and cities and play to about 10 people in dingey little backstreet pubs....they get a few support slots for touring upcoming bands...their reputation grows...eventually they spend a couple of weeks touring all the while working in their shitty jobs...they pass their dodgy demos to touring bands and radio stations and journalists and everyone else they think can help....eventually they get noticed....get a record deal...get a proper EP or album recorded...get some promotion behind it...a year or so down the line they're playing in front of a few hundred....more touring...more writing...more practicing...the story goes on

LilyMaree
To the original poster.
You sound obsessed with her.

She's okay, to be honest. I don't really like her, because she seems fake. Like the whole "modesty" thing just an act, or a cover, like AC mentioned in the previous pages. I would also have to agree with Jaden.

I'll say I know someone who is buddies with the All American Rejects. (He went to high school with them).
They bought shitty equipment, grouped up, practice their asses off and started playing in garages, then pubs, then having small concerts (local gigs).
They did covers at first, then their original songs.
I'm not sure if they write their own songs, but that's how they got big and famous.
And what the hell, stop talking about Michael Jackson.
That was ages ago.

Leona Lewis is nothing more than a voice and a pretty face.

shiv
Chick bores meh.

k.d. lang, Cesaria Evora, Rossetta Tharpe, Kelly Rowland, Whitney, Gwen Stefani, Mahalia, Aretha, Alicia Keys Thats Where Its At!

Now Kelly Rowland is no Evora and k.d. lang And Mahalia couldn't harmonise continuously through 25 minutes of audio to save their lives but what they all have in common is Personality.

Talent is good, however without Character its boring . Very.

Compare Lennox Lewis with Jack Johnson and Mohammed Ali
one boxes good. The other are great boxers.

however Lewis's boxing tecnique is cleaner and sharper than either Ali or Johnson. lol.

In motor racing the fastest car rarely if ever wins anything.

The best driver in the vehicle with the most responsive controlls, shortest turning circle and slickest road handling accellerration and turning speed usually triumphs.

Leona Lewis' music is OK. nothing more nothing less.

Victor Von Doom
Motor racing got involved how?

shiv
moving on.

Eon Blue
Motor racing?!

LilyMaree
Originally posted by shiv
Chick bores meh.

k.d. lang, Cesaria Evora, Rossetta Tharpe, Kelly Rowland, Whitney, Gwen Stefani, Mahalia, Aretha, Alicia Keys Thats Where Its At!

Now Kelly Rowland is no Evora and k.d. lang And Mahalia couldn't harmonise continuously through 25 minutes of audio to save their lives but what they all have in common is Personality.

Talent is good, however without Character its boring . Very.

Compare Lennox Lewis with Jack Johnson and Mohammed Ali
one boxes good. The other are great boxers.

however Lewis's boxing tecnique is cleaner and sharper than either Ali or Johnson. lol.

In motor racing the fastest car rarely if ever wins anything.

The best driver in the vehicle with the most responsive controlls, shortest turning circle and slickest road handling accellerration and turning speed usually triumphs.

Leona Lewis' music is OK. nothing more nothing less.

You went so off-topic stick out tongue

But yeah, Alicia Keys is awesome.

~Wålshy~
IMO the best thing to come from one of these talent shows is Paul Potts

wales

LovelyOne
Jaden, my point was, she can write songs., the one that ranks high on US itunes from the Spirit album outtakes is You bring Me Down, she wrote that song herself and its one of the most popular after bleeding love on there.

People wrote ongs for whitney houston and michael jackson..but I bet you still regaurd them as their songs? What do you think of paul potts...he doesnt have his own songs he just sings other peoples all the time..but I bet you dont see him in the same light as you do Leona

Avril doesnt write her own songs..yet i bet you dont class her like you class Leona..it simply because she's from thr X-factor.and you've put a stigma on it..well name me one other X-factor winner who has achieved this:

I'll answer NONE because she's much better than all of them and is so beyond that show its not even funny. If she was a talenltless singer she would have NEVER acheievd this, LOADS of major artists and legends were discovered on TALENT SHOWS singing OTHER PEOPLES SONGS..at the START of their career..and at the START of their careers they had songs written for them by other people until they became savvy enough in the business, what makes you think leona isnt like this?

in the US they have no idea what the hell the X-Factor is...she's basically just a new artist to them..the X-factor has nothing to do with her success over there. There is no way a typical X-factor winner could break these kinds of records..she has talent, and at the end of the day thats all that matters..it doesnt matter if they dont write their songs..it doesnt make them any less talented.

Alpha Centauri
She put a stigma on herself by appearing on there.

If she's so much better, she'd have made it on her own. To suggest she needed the show is to suggest...she needed the show.

She's shit, deal with it. There are people out there with less talent than her, who don't need X-Factor. Why did she do it, if she's so much better? She's just another female R&B singer.

-AC

Slay

LovelyOne
She put a stigma on herself by appearing on there.

If she's so much better, she'd have made it on her own. To suggest she needed the show is to suggest...she needed the show.

She's shit, deal with it. There are people out there with less talent than her, who don't need X-Factor. Why did she do it, if she's so much better? She's just another female R&B singer.

-AC

Michael jackson, would have never made it had he not been discovered on a talent show singing another artist's song. That is how he was discovered.

look at the legend he is, does the fact he was discovered on a talaent show suggest that he doesnt deserve his success? or that he's not talented?

it doesnt matter how anyone massivly talented is discovered..all that matters is that their talent gets found.

there's something that sets her apart from pretty much every other female artist out their right now..and that his her flawless live singing ability.

Alpha Centauri
He is a very talented musician, and has proven he can contribute heavily, if not write, his own music.

You are just always making excuses, and it's really just boring to me.

-AC

LovelyOne
im not making excuses..

looking at a 10 year old Michael Jackson, who would have thought he would become such the legend he is?

or looking at Christina aguilera when she first started out..she was discoverd through talent shows and was manufactured like hell to start with, then she did her own thing with the second album

all im saying is, dont judge people on what you first see because what you first see is not the full package

she does have musical abilities, she can write good music..so its most likely that we'll see her prove herself later on in those departments. I can bet you leona wont like being controlled for much longer, she'll use them to get famous then do her own shit.

Alpha Centauri
It was far from her "own thing".

I'm not denying that out of all the "talent" shows in the world, someone inevitably comes along with ability, but using Michael Jackson is a poor example, because he was a rare case where he actually didn't need it.

The fact is, Lewis and Aguilera probably wouldn't have, so it's not really working for you. I just think it's a shitty way out.

You are saying not to judge her on what I see, you are the one judging her on things she hasn't even done.

-AC

Slay
she'll use them to get famous
That's what they've been trying to tell you here. If she really was as talented as you say she is, she wouldn't have to use 'them' to get famous, she would be able to make it on her own.

Victor Von Doom
That's not true, though. It's much harder to win a competition like X Factor, than to get a recording contract from a company.

LilyMaree
It was far from her "own thing".

I'm not denying that out of all the "talent" shows in the world, someone inevitably comes along with ability, but using Michael Jackson is a poor example, because he was a rare case where he actually didn't need it.

The fact is, Lewis and Aguilera probably wouldn't have, so it's not really working for you. I just think it's a shitty way out.

You are saying not to judge her on what I see, you are the one judging her on things she hasn't even done.

-AC

Amen. laughing out loud

She's boring, really. Bleeding Love now annoys the hell outta me glare But that's not the point.
The point is that you've convinced yourself she'll be great, all that, etc.
But she really isn't that great.
She's just a voice, with a pretty face.
She's young too. probably just in for the fame & money. Oh, let's not forget the popularity.

shiv
Michael jackson, would have never made it had he not been discovered on a talent show

you're venturing off topic sweetie.

LovelyOne
Originally posted by shiv
you're venturing off topic sweetie.

LOl you obviously cant understand the meaning of related topics

as in they were both discovered on a talent show, the fact that one is a legend and was discovered in pretty much exactly the same way leona was. Yet with leona it makes her "cheap" that would make legends like Michael Jackson pretty cheap too by that retarded logic

come on honey get the thinking cap on..jeeze roll eyes (sarcastic)

lmao

Alpha Centauri
LOl you obviously cant understand the meaning of related topics

as in they were both discovered on a talent show, the fact that one is a legend and was discovered in pretty much exactly the same way leona was. Yet with leona it makes her "cheap" that would make legends like Michael Jackson pretty cheap too by that retarded logic

come on honey get the thinking cap on..jeeze roll eyes (sarcastic)

lmao

There's a bit of a difference between the talent possessed by Michael Jackson and the talent possessed by Leona Lewis.

Michael Jackson was NOTICED on a talent show when he was a child and had no choice, regardless whether or not the people liked him then, he'd still have got where he is.

Leona is a grown woman who wasn't noticed for a reason.

There is a big difference between the two.

Leona Lewis is shit, she's lame.

-AC

LovelyOne
no he wasnt NOTICED..it was BECAUSE of that talent show that he got signed to MOTOWN

get your facts RIGHT please

she's shit and lame all the way to the bank..

you can dislike her all you want but there is no denying the talent. Its very rare for a singer to have a 4/5 octave vocal range and be an alto mezzo at the same time.

And its also very rare for them to sound exactly like their studio version live.

that is natural god given talent my friend..not cheapness, she's not rihanna, she's not beyonce: the ones who need to lip and be reverbed beyond recognition to sound anywhere even remotely appealing to the ear..

LovelyOne
I also have to inform you that J records is in no way linked with the X-Factor and its contract system. J records is the record company in America that noticed Leona during the X-factor and wanted to sign her before she won but ended up signing her afterward with a 10 million dollar contract because there were major fights with 4 other US record lables over her at the time. They are the ones who created the album..Not the X-Factor contract..so she actually won the show..but her contract is there by means of being noticed for her talent..not for winning.

Alpha Centauri
no he wasnt NOTICED..it was BECAUSE of that talent show that he got signed to MOTOWN

Yes, a talent show he got noticed in, because he was forced to enter. He was only a kid. He would have been discovered anyway.

Leona Lewis is a grown woman who couldn't have got noticed any other way, you said it yourself.

get your facts RIGHT please

she's shit and lame all the way to the bank..

My facts are right.

So? Her being rich now doesn't make any difference to her talent. Britney Spears is super rich.

you can dislike her all you want but there is no denying the talent. Its very rare for a singer to have a 4/5 octave vocal range and be an alto mezzo at the same time.

She doesn't have a five octave range, that's Mariah Carey's. If you can prove she has a four octave range, I'll admit to it, but that still doesn't mean anything. If you can prove she's technically able, I'll agree. Doesn't make her music good.

Her music is shit, to me.

And its also very rare for them to sound exactly like their studio version live.

Have you seen her live, or is this one of your assumptions from what you've seen online or on TV? What you hear or see on TV or online is direct from the soundboard, it's not technically "live".

that is natural god given talent my friend..not cheapness, she's not rihanna, she's not beyonce: the ones who need to lip and be reverbed beyond recognition to sound anywhere even remotely appealing to the ear..

That's irrelevant, because her "natural, God given talent" got her nowhere. She considered quitting music because of it, so it's clear she doesn't love music or love singing, because anyone who does...does it because they LOVE to do it. She was gonna quit, but her boyfriend convinced her to whore herself to X-Factor, and now she's a sellout.

I also have to inform you that J records is in no way linked with the X-Factor and its contract system. J records is the record company in America that noticed Leona during the X-factor and wanted to sign her before she won but ended up signing her afterward with a 10 million dollar contract because there were major fights with 4 other US record lables over her at the time. They are the ones who created the album..Not the X-Factor contract..so she actually won the show..but her contract is there by means of being noticed for her talent..not for winning.

Exactly, if she really loved music and really had talent, she'd not have gone to X-Factor, she'd have pursued her goal without the aid of some random idiots and the general public. They obviously liked her whether she won or not, whether she was on there or not.

She is about the money and she is about the fame, ergo, she's not a real artist. She's not in it for the music or the love of music. Facts prove that, her history proves that. If she loved music so much, she'd not have wanted to quit because she wasn't getting famous.

-AC

jadeily
laughing out loud She stopped replying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.