Genetic Enhancement

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xmarksthespot
Preimplantation diagnosis of some hereditary disorders is relatively common these days. Potentially, as genetic technology advances, rather than simply selecting for healthy offspring, potential parents may be able to select for traits, intelligence, athleticism, longevity, memory, immunity, height, eye colour, hair colour.

Assuming that such technologies proved safe...
What traits, if any, do you believe would be "acceptable" for parents to select for? What traits do you think would be acceptable to society as a whole?
And if given the opportunity would you opt to select specific traits for your offspring?

PVS
its a tough question. i want to say "i would select nothing" but given the shallow nature of people, and the fact that even without such abilities in genetic manipulation, people who do not fit society's ridiculously superficial standards are left behind.........and then to think that everyone would most likely opt to turn their kids into ubermensch, to not opt for it would most likely mean damning your kid to a life of alienation, barring the slim chance that they win the genetic lottery and are born to their standards naturally.

its really a scary thought and i hope it never happens.

Soleran
Originally posted by PVS

I agree

xmarksthespot
huh My thread got renamed.

I saw some of Gattaca on TV the other day...

I actually doubt that anyone, given the opportunity to have an uberkinder, in a society where everyone else has an uberkinder, would choose not to.

jaden101
i think it would be a good idea some instances...you could erradicate downs syndrome for example...that would not only mean that no one would be condemned to that life but would also free up massive resources for other non gene therapy treatable problems such as people with foetal alcohol syndrome and autism

Soleran
Originally posted by jaden101
i think it would be a good idea some instances...you could erradicate downs syndrome for example...that would not only mean that no one would be condemned to that life but would also free up massive resources for other non gene therapy treatable problems such as people with foetal alcohol syndrome and autism

It is a cool idea and has alot of fantastic potential, that said I can also see the perversion in this and nothing stays "pure" forever.

ThePittman

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Preimplantation diagnosis of some hereditary disorders is relatively common these days. Potentially, as genetic technology advances, rather than simply selecting for healthy offspring, potential parents may be able to select for traits, intelligence, athleticism, longevity, memory, immunity, height, eye colour, hair colour.

What traits, if any, do you believe would be "acceptable" for parents to select for? What traits do you think would be acceptable to society as a whole?
And if given the opportunity would you opt to select specific traits for your offspring?

I'd opt for them to be disease free. And that's about it. And a good metabolism.

Robtard
Anything beyond fixing or curing potential diseases or disorders would ultimately lead down a dark path, as it would further separate society into the "elites" and "non-elites" because people will not just stop at changing eye color or a slight height increase. We would ultimately end up 'supermen' for those who could afford it. Then again, this could be the next big evolutionary step.

I's only want to fix/cure potential problems, otherwise, my offspring would be less and less "my offspring"... But I must admit, if everyone else was giving their kids beyond human advantages; I would be hard pressed to not want to give my child and equal chance to complete in the world.

Darth Macabre
I'd definitely make sure my child doesn't have the diseases that lace my fathers side of the family. And perhaps a slight height increase. Nothing more than that, though. Of course, I say that now, so things could (and probably will) change.

redcaped

And if given the opportunity would you opt to select specific traits for your offspring? As long as it keeps as a whole not hole. By the way something serious is happening right now here in Miami. Humanity needs to get even first.

debbiejo

And if given the opportunity would you opt to select specific traits for your offspring? Some things shouldn't be tampered with in my opinion though to wipe out some diseases would be acceptable, but when it comes to eye color, height and build, I think it would be shallow to manipulate these qualities in people. We all don't want to be the same would we?? Memory might be an acceptable one. Though with some diseases and memory these things can be stunted with a change in diet and doing away with environmental, additives, pesticides, and other toxins that would cause free radicals and cell damage.

Captain REX
Originally posted by PVS
its a tough question. i want to say "i would select nothing" but given the shallow nature of people, and the fact that even without such abilities in genetic manipulation, people who do not fit society's ridiculously superficial standards are left behind.........and then to think that everyone would most likely opt to turn their kids into ubermensch, to not opt for it would most likely mean damning your kid to a life of alienation, barring the slim chance that they win the genetic lottery and are born to their standards naturally.

Have you seen GATTICA? That's exactly what happens in that movie...

Imperial_Samura
huh My thread got renamed.

I saw some of Gattaca on TV the other day...

I actually doubt that anyone, given the opportunity to have an uberkinder, in a society where everyone else has an uberkinder, would choose not to.

I agree. I mean how many parents out there want the best for their children - or more accuratly what the parents think is best? After all, what is the logic, in Australia at least, behind private schools - the ones not run by state but by private groups. A fortune is spent on them, because of the concept they offer slightly better opportunities then a state run school - even though statistically that is not always the case.

Damn it, I say. If human science reaches the point were genetic modification is safe and even then norm, then I am all for it. If it will make my children healthier and live longer, then yes. Those would be the two most basic things I'd look for. Imprved health and longegivity.

Gender, eye color and such things would not interest me, since I think that is something better left natural.

Intelligence? Concentration? Memory retention? If modification can somehow improve ones mental faculties then I see no down side to it. Higher intelligence can be beneficial in most fields, and in now way closes doors to the child, but rather insures the maximum number are open to them - so they really do have choice. I have an uncle who is a careers adviser to schools and the like, and he has always said it is hard when he sees those students who have a dream career, but no way to actually achieve it. Certainly he can do his best to get them on the path, but hard study, while very helpful, isn't always enough if a child just doesn't have it in them.

Capt_Fantastic

I disagree. In fact, such genetic pick and choose would enhance the difference between people who ARE different and accept it, and people who want their children to fit in under such social regulations. One of the few groups that are never recognized by general society are those who appreciate their uniqueness. I've known I was different my whole life. But my difference was never something that prevented me from having friends. In fact, most of my lifelong friends would say that our differences are what drew us together. I can say I'm still friends with people from my childhood thanks to that. People I know who were members of the "in crowd" (a.k.a. the social kowtowers) don't know anyone who has been a life long friend. Their friends from childhood have gone on their own paths and never looked back.

So there will always be that segment of the population that revel in their differences. However, two or three generations into this selective breeding institution, that might change.

Badabing
I think everything should be done to ensure the baby's health. Everything else should be left to God and/or Nature, depending on your beliefs.

redcaped
yes have all girls with huge butts

Badabing
Originally posted by redcaped
yes have all girls with huge butts
eek! laughing Happy Dance

debbiejo
Have all guys WITH a butt........ big grin

~Forever*Alone~
i would definately give my kids the best of everything, i wouldnt want them being anything like me, supposing i ever find a willing guy to mate with this ugly creature.

Fishy
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I disagree. In fact, such genetic pick and choose would enhance the difference between people who ARE different and accept it, and people who want their children to fit in under such social regulations. One of the few groups that are never recognized by general society are those who appreciate their uniqueness. I've known I was different my whole life. But my difference was never something that prevented me from having friends. In fact, most of my lifelong friends would say that our differences are what drew us together. I can say I'm still friends with people from my childhood thanks to that. People I know who were members of the "in crowd" (a.k.a. the social kowtowers) don't know anyone who has been a life long friend. Their friends from childhood have gone on their own paths and never looked back.

So there will always be that segment of the population that revel in their differences. However, two or three generations into this selective breeding institution, that might change.

A noble idea, but I don't think most people would follow that. If I had the choice to get a child that has a more advanced brain then any other human being, better physique and all that crap which would make it a kind of uber-being then it would be very hard for me to say no. Just because I would want the child to have the best it can possibly get.

Now if I would do it, more would perhaps not everybody at first but in time you would have the situation where you have these uber beings genetically manipulated and everything and normal human beings who are automatically less able and fit for every single job out there. It would create an elite class, and nobody would want to be on the bottom if they have the chance to get up, so in the end I think most people would end up genetically changing their children. Some more then others perhaps but still.

xmarksthespot
In a documentary on PGD a deaf couple said that if it they were allowed they'd use it to select for a deaf child.

Badabing
In a documentary on PGD a deaf couple said that if it they were allowed they'd use it to select for a deaf child.
Really? I'll give it up for any handicapped person that overcomes adversity but why would they want that for their child?

xmarksthespot
They said it made them feel more connected. I'm not in their position but frankly imo that seems more selfish to me than selecting for superficial traits like eye colour.

Fishy
They said it made them feel more connected. I'm not in their position but frankly imo that seems more selfish to me than selecting for superficial traits like eye colour.

I can't believe any parents would be that selfish.... They probably spend half their lives wishing they could actually hear, especially when they were young and now they want their child to go through the same?

Bastards.

redcaped
What are we getting into? C'mon people!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.