Darth Vader vs General Grievous

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Martin
This is not a fight because we already know Lord Vader would slaughter the General but who is better in these specific areas?

1. Better Warlord?
2. Better Leader?
3. Most Feared?
4. Most Tactical/Intelligent?
5. Cooler?

S_W_LeGenD
hmm!

1. Better Warlord (is Vader)
2. Better Leader (is Vader)
3. Most Feared (is Vader. Grevious was feared as well but not as much)
4. Most Tactical/Intelligent? (This is a tie between Vader and Grevious. Both were talented in their own ways)
5. Cooler (Vader looks more cool)

Darth Martin
The warlord one could give Vader a run for his money.

kamikz
Leader I would say Grievous. With his tactics, droids could outmanouver jedi, and he was noted to be "flawless" and "unstoppable".

Prodigal Knight
1. Better Warlord?
2. Better Leader?
3. Most Feared?
5. Cooler?

Vader wins in all cases.

kamikz
Originally posted by kamikz
Leader I would say Grievous. With his tactics, droids could outmanouver jedi, and he was noted to be "flawless" and "unstoppable".

Prodigal Knight
Hmmm, I don't agree. Grievous doesn't seem to be that great. You see the Seperatists on Utapau insulting him. Under Vader, that bullshit isn't taken.

kamikz
Originally posted by kamikz

stick out tongue

Well in combat, General Grievous tactics were almost undefeatable, even by jedi, I didn't really see Vader as the best leader!

General G
Originally posted by Prodigal Knight
Hmmm, I don't agree. Grievous doesn't seem to be that great. You see the Seperatists on Utapau insulting him. Under Vader, that bullshit isn't taken.

That was only the one Separatist and those two were always having tiffs (thats right, tiffs). But notice him back down and still listen to him after Grievous has a come back for him.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by General G
That was only the one Separatist and those two were always having tiffs (thats right, tiffs). But notice him back down and still listen to him after Grievous has a come back for him.

Grievous is too nice. Vader would have force slapped that b!tch or just killed him with a lightsaber...wait Vader did kill Gunray with a lightsaber. 2 points for Vader!!

General G
Yeah, but Grievous couldn't because he knew Sidious would be pissed and kill him, also, Lucas didn't want people to know he could use lightsabers until the duel with Obi-Wan.

Gideon
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Grievous is too nice. Vader would have force slapped that b!tch or just killed him with a lightsaber...wait Vader did kill Gunray with a lightsaber. 2 points for Vader!!

I consider Grievous and Vader to be a lot alike; and I have this very strong liking of General Grievous. He's a badass, though RotS didn't show him in such a manner... but as for the whole tolerance of subordinates, they rank just about even, with Vader likely having the least amount of tolerance (but not by much)

And General G here is right. Labyrinth of Evil confirms that the reason that Grievous just didn't nail Gunray in the face or let the Republic kill him when he tried to escape Nemoidia, was because Darth Sidious wouldn't allow it.

Thus, he was forced to only reprimand and threaten him.

ESB -1138
Yeah, but Grievous couldn't because he knew Sidious would be pissed and kill him, also, Lucas didn't want people to know he could use lightsabers until the duel with Obi-Wan.

Everyone knew Grievous could use lightsabers. Come on the Clone Wars micro-series and don't forget the "collection" Grievous mentioned and shown at the start of ROTS.

If anything I'm sure Grievous was trying to keep the CIS in order for it seem it was beginning to fall apart and if Grievous struck down Gunray other CIS leaders may fear for their lives and withdraw from the CIS.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Darth Martin
This is not a fight because we already know Lord Vader would slaughter the General but who is better in these specific areas?

1. Better Warlord?
2. Better Leader?
3. Most Feared?
5. Cooler?

1. Vader is definetly the Warlordier of the two.

2. Leader? Since Vader's mere presence could rally troops to fight on, out of fear much of the time, mind you, and since he was quite an iconic figure in the Empire, I'd say Vader.

3. Vader for sure.

4. Grievous could defeat Jedi, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's a brilliant tactician. From what I've seen, his maneuvers haven't all gone too great. Vader's strategy at Hoth is what makes me lean towards him.

5. Vader by a HUGE margin.

Gideon
Tangible, no offence, but it is ridiculous to assume that General Grievous was not a skilled tactition. He was the supreme commander of the Confederacy's armies for a reason. Darth Sidious, in fact, hand picked him to lead the droids because he suffered very few defeats as a warlord on Kalee.

Likewise, Vader - and even Anakin himself - was a brilliant military tactition, but I honestly doubt that he was superior to Grievous. One could make an argument that Vader, too, was chosen to be Military Executor for a reason. But don't forget that Grand Admiral Thrawn's military prowess dwarfs Vader's own, though he is inferior on the chain of command.

It depends. I'd say Grievous. He actually had to conquer for the Confederacy. When Vader ascended to power, the Empire was formed from the remains of the Republic - so they already dominated most of the galaxy. Though, I suppose, Vader did have to go back and tame the former CIS worlds.

That said, I'd give this to Grievous, but by a slim margin.

It's a difficult decision. Both of them were excellent commanders, but they both weren't intrinsically exceptional leaders. The leaders of the Confederacy were Darth Sidious and Count Dooku, and the Empire was commanded by Sidious as well.

Vader, however, has shown to be a fitting leader outside of the battlefield as well - so I'll give this to him.

Really, it's nearly equal. Citizens on Coruscant were terrified of General Grievous - moreso than any other Confederacy leader - as he had a notorious reputation for brutality and sadism. Likewise, people across the galaxy were terrified of Vader for the same reasons.

I'd give it a tie.

Tactical? Grievous. Not by a lot.

Sheer intelligence? Ehh... I'm going to have to go with Vader.

General Grievous was a cool character 'till his fight with Obi-Wan. I'd have to give this to Vader.

Overall: Vader.

Darth Martin
Originally posted by Darth Martin

1. Better Warlord?
2. Better Leader?
3. Most Feared?
5. Cooler?

Good posts, but I'm adding two more categories:

6. Who has killed more jedi.
7. Who would win in a H2H battle w/ no force or weapons.

Gideon
Vader spent twenty years hunting down and executing survivors of Order 66. I'd say he has this by a considerably massive margin.

Vader is pretty damn strong, but given that Grievous is completely externally cyberkinetic and operated by machines, and that he has four hands - I'd give this to him.

Darth Godzilla
Originally posted by Gideon

Likewise, Vader - and even Anakin himself - was a brilliant military tactition, but I honestly doubt that he was superior to Grievous. One could make an argument that Vader, too, was chosen to be Military Executor for a reason. But don't forget that Grand Admiral Thrawn's military prowess dwarfs Vader's own, though he is inferior on the chain of command.

Thrawn is an exception. The only reason he wasn't Vader's equal when it came to strategic advice was the Emperor's prejudice against nonhumans.

Gideon
Originally posted by Darth Godzilla
Thrawn is an exception. The only reason he wasn't Vader's equal when it came to strategic advice was the Emperor's prejudice against nonhumans.

You're missing my point.

Vader held the superior rank. Thrawn was a Grand Admiral, but they were lower on the chain of command than Vader was. Based on sheer strategic value and expertise, Thrawn should have been even higher than Vader.

The point is that not all supreme commanders or commanders at all are as brilliant in terms of tactics as their underlings and advisors.

General G
Everyone knew Grievous could use lightsabers. Come on the Clone Wars micro-series and don't forget the "collection" Grievous mentioned and shown at the start of ROTS.

If anything I'm sure Grievous was trying to keep the CIS in order for it seem it was beginning to fall apart and if Grievous struck down Gunray other CIS leaders may fear for their lives and withdraw from the CIS.

If we are only counting ROTS, then we would not know that Grievous can use lightsabers, yes he shows everyone his collection of lightsaber, but that might all they could be, is a collection. Jango Fett killed many jedi, does that mean that he can use a lightsaber? Nope. The Clone Wars series showed himm with the lightsabers, but that is not 100% canon, so people might have guessed or assumed it was just for show or for some poeple who might not have even watched them.

And I agree with you that he was probabky trying to keep the CIS in order as well as not wanting to piss of Sidious.

ESB -1138
If we are only counting ROTS, then we would not know that Grievous can use lightsabers, yes he shows everyone his collection of lightsaber, but that might all they could be, is a collection. Jango Fett killed many jedi, does that mean that he can use a lightsaber? Nope. The Clone Wars series showed himm with the lightsabers, but that is not 100% canon, so people might have guessed or assumed it was just for show or for some poeple who might not have even watched them.

And I agree with you that he was probabky trying to keep the CIS in order as well as not wanting to piss of Sidious.

Starwars.com had something about the Creation of Greivous or something that mentioned that he would be lethal with a lightsaber. And you make it seem like only Jedi/Sith can wield a lightsaber.

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Tangible God
1. Vader is definetly the Warlordier of the two.

2. Leader? Since Vader's mere presence could rally troops to fight on, out of fear much of the time, mind you, and since he was quite an iconic figure in the Empire, I'd say Vader.

3. Vader for sure.

4. Grievous could defeat Jedi, yeah, but that doesn't mean he's a brilliant tactician. From what I've seen, his maneuvers haven't all gone too great. Vader's strategy at Hoth is what makes me lean towards him.

5. Vader by a HUGE margin.

6. I say Vader did. Order 66 people.

7. Gotta give this to Grievous.

I agree what tangible said too.

General G
Starwars.com had something about the Creation of Greivous or something that mentioned that he would be lethal with a lightsaber. And you make it seem like only Jedi/Sith can wield a lightsaber.

Sith/Jedi are the ones that can use a lightsaber WELL. Anybody can use a lightsaber, as shown in ANH when Han uses it, but it would be close to useless for some that is not a force sensitive to try and use it effectively unless they are properly trained. Grievous used them because Dooku taught him, but he wouldn't do well against blocking blaster shots.

KILLA420
what if greivous was a jedi, would vader still beat him?

General G
With his four arms, power and speed, I don't think Vader could match that. Vader is good, just not fast enough to dodge four lightsabers going really fast.

Prodigal Knight
Two words: THE FORCE

And yes, Grievous is good, but he can't defeat Vader is lightsaber combat. Vader has mastered Djem So to the highest degree. Grievous's strength would be rendered useless againt Vader's power. You see how easily Kenobi cut down Grievous's blades. Vader's a master of Cho Sun, he'll do the same against GG/

KILLA420
Originally posted by KILLA420
what if greivous had control of the force, would vader still beat him?

Prodigal Knight
Maybe, it depends what moves Grievous knows. If he just knows the basics (Force Push, Pull) then I doubt he can kill Vader. However, if he knows more advanced moves then he might have a chance, but still Vader is very powerful. Then again, Grievous wilil never get control of the Force, so its useless to debate this.

kamikz
Originally posted by KILLA420
what if greivous was a jedi, would vader still beat him?

If Grievous was gifted with the force, he would no doubt be the weakest force user ever. Only some organs are left of him, and most parts of him are cyborg so they cannot be enhanced and cannot use the force properly. No bigger difference....

ESB -1138
Sith/Jedi are the ones that can use a lightsaber WELL. Anybody can use a lightsaber, as shown in ANH when Han uses it, but it would be close to useless for some that is not a force sensitive to try and use it effectively unless they are properly trained. Grievous used them because Dooku taught him, but he wouldn't do well against blocking blaster shots.

You do realize that a lightsaber is basically a sword right? Anyone can learn to wield a lightsaber. But like Grievous they wouldn't be well at blocking blaster shots.

kamikz
Grievous does actually deflect blaster bolt at one point in LOE I think. His droid reflexes are almost like jedi reflexes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.