PS3 will be the last console Sony ever made?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ysh227
Link to rumor:
http://thebestworld.forumable.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=197&mforum=thebestworld

if that's true, that sucks.

Grinning Goku
That is such pure, unsubstantiated bull-crap! All it's meant to do is get Sony's fanboys in a hissy fit and buy more of their paraphernalia. "Please buy our stuff, we're going broke." Bah!

ysh227
I don't really believe this news though, but if SONY cannot get enough benefits from us, might just be it

Grinning Goku
Originally posted by ysh227
I don't really believe this news though, but if SONY cannot get enough benefits from us, might just be it

OK. I'm usually as broke as hell (won't be employed until January 2007), and Sony's welfare is the last thing on my mind. I mean their hardware already costs an arm, leg and bruised left testicle. It's reverse psychology man (or a fanboy trying to garner pathos for a company who didn't take their more financially challenged consumers into consideration). wink... sad

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Grinning Goku
That is such pure, unsubstantiated bull-crap! All it's meant to do is get Sony's fanboys in a hissy fit and buy more of their paraphernalia. "Please buy our stuff, we're going broke." Bah!
Of course Sony aren't going broke.... But if they're not making decent profits with a product, they'll drop it. SO it may very well be their last console.... But I highly doubt it. As I'm pretty sure it'll be successful.

Grinning Goku
Oh, and by the way, I will be buying a Wii and PS3 next year just in case you think I hate Sony or something.

ysh227
Sony will not be broke, but SCEI will

§P0oONY
I'll not be buying a PS3 but they won't be losing me as a customer. As I never owned a PS1 or PS2.

ysh227

§P0oONY
You are reluctant to own a PS2 and PS3 because you are a anti-technology. Which leads me to believe that you are a pure and blatant religious boy.

It's funny because neither the PS1 or PS2 were at the peak of technology. I owned an N64 during the time of the PS1 and I own a Gamecube and Xbox. The PS1 is inferior (technologically) to the N64 and the PS2 inferior to both the Gamecube and Xbox. (technological)

+ God ****ing rocks.

OB1-adobe
Retail stores sold out of $600 videogame system. On the release day.

If that is not a sign for success, I don't know what is.

For some reason I think Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are here to stay.

Reasons:

1. Sony and microsft- 2 of the biggest corporations in the world, Multilple multi billion dollar corporations that have there hand in everything.

2. Nintendo- Extremely loyal following, in a class of its own. Plus they are in conjuction with Apple who is another major Corporation in the world to fund their ass.

3. People are sick of losing there their beloved whatever and pay any price to get it. Examples: why we have backwards compatibility, and Sega fans as example to all gamers what happens when your fave consol company goes bust.

4. Video games arn't for kids anymore, They set the tone for interactive technology, and again there developers (Sony & microsoft) have multiple assets to gain their tech from so its hard to see any of them going out of buisness. Meaning they sell more than systems to fund their company.

§P0oONY
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

For some reason I think Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo are here to stay.

Reasons:

1. Sony and microsft- 2 of the biggest corporations in the world, Multilple multi billion dollar corporations that have there hand in everything.

2. Nintendo- Extremely loyal following, in a class of its own. Plus they are in conjuction with Apple who is another major Corporation in the world to fund their ass.

3. People are sick of losing there their beloved whatever and pay any price to get it. Examples: why we have backwards compatibility, and Sega fans as example to all gamers what happens when your fave consol company goes bust.

4. Video games arn't for kids anymore, They set the tone for interactive technology, and again there developers (Sony & microsoft) have multiple assets to gain their tech from so its hard to see any of them going out of buisness. Meaning they sell more than systems to fund their company.

I have to agree although remember the Dreamcast sold well during it's release. Early sales do not indicate that much but Sony also has a loyal fan base that will purchase the PS3 so I don't imagine it failing.

Phat J
lol @ true sign of success, they ahd like 15 systems shipped to each store. if thats not a true sign of not shipping enough consoles i dont know what is.

ysh227
I find somethings real...
People who only buy Nintendo products are mostly Christians while people who are Sony Fanboys are either Japanophillian or atheists.

Phat J
gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you on that one.. yeah.

§P0oONY
I find somethings real...
People who only buy Nintendo products are mostly Christians while people who are Sony Fanboys are either Japanophillian or atheists.

I'm Athiest. petpet

ysh227
Spoony
so you think religion is fake?

§P0oONY
Spoony
so you think religion is fake?

Religion is not fake but what religious people believe in; yes.

OB1-adobe

§P0oONY
I don't.. srug

BackFire
Doubtful, seeing as Sony's already mentioned the PS4. The only way this will happen is if Sony goes completely belly up and get's raped by a clown this console generation.

ESB -1138
metal gear solid
Final fantasy
Gran turismo
Socom
Grand theft auto
Killzone
Syphon Filter
The jak and daxter and crash bandicoot, and the ratchet and clanks and all that stuff.

Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto can be found on your Xbox (360) consoles as well.

Killzone was a FAILURE with the PS2 and PSP. I don't think the one for the PS3 will be any better.

Final Fantasy is not owned by Sony. Square-Enix have been releasing a bunch of games for Nintendo lately (Dawn of Souls, IV Advance, V Advance, III DS, Crystal Chonicles, and games are still on the way like Crystal Choncles II, VI Advance, and XII DS)

Socom is also on the 360.

Jak and Daxter and Crash and Ratchet haven't been selling Playstations. In fact I can't remember when Crash came out with a GOOD new game neither can I Jak and aren't they done with Ratchet?

BackFire
Gran Turismo is not out for anything other than Sony consoles, neither is Socom.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by BackFire
Gran Turismo is not out for anything other than Sony consoles, neither is Socom.

Indeed, they are Sony exclusives.

OB1-adobe
And Killzone is not a failure

S-Ranger
Yeah if they crash and burn from the failings of PS3 and i can see logically them taking a break for a while cause to be honest Microsoft and Sony are getting into the position were instead of making more money they will be losing more money through consoles.

usagi_yojimbo
Link to rumor:

Umm..it's kind of difficult to take one's statement seriously - when the main source of their opinion -- is taken from a message board...He..He..he..

Tek888
is that sig from tmnt?

Spartan005

Heh... you're joking right?

Lana

Actually, it means absolutely nothing at all.

Why don't you take a look at the number of systems that were available at launch, how many each store got, how many people who reserved in advance that still don't have their system, etc.

It sold out because the number available was ridiculously small.

MadMel
lana's right...the amount of ps3 beng shipped is so small, theres probably only 1-2 per store, if even that..

Lana
A lot of stores got none at all.

My store lucked out and unexpectedly got a second shipment, so all of our reserves were finally covered.

Smasandian
Heck, the Sony store in Ottawa only got 4.

SaTsuJiN

dirkdirden

Lana
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I fail to see how PS2 is inferior to GC..

Xbox sure... since most of their games come out anti-aliased with all kinds of nice normal / bit mapping...

but gamecube?... the only titles that I can think to showcase gamecubes power are the RE1 remake and RE4.. and its not really something PS2 couldnt do as well

so can you indulge me on how PS2 < GC ?

GC's hardware was more powerful than the PS2.

And the RE4 port to the PS2 very much shows this to be a fact.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Lana

And the RE4 port to the PS2 very much shows this to be a fact.

Any time you port a game from one console to another it always looks better on the console the game was designed for, unless they reprogram it which they never do.

Perfect example would be Oblivion for the PS3 look much worse than Oblivion for the 360 that has nothing to do with hardware its all in the software. That is because they just took an xbox game a forced it to play on a ps3 which never turns out good results. If they released God of War on the GC it wouldn't look as good as the PS2 original. Unless they put time and effort into porting over the games it will always look like crap.

So even though both xbox and Gcube have better hardware the ps2 still has better looking games and will keep on spiting out better looking games for the next 2 years with inferior hardware thanks to good programming. Software is always more important than hardware.

Lana
I'll have to disagree on that one, to a point, because you can't have the software unless you have the hardware to begin with.

General Kaliero
Also, Oblivion was designed with PCs in mind, the 360 version is a port. So that kinda messes up your theory, Dirk.

Though I have to say that it's not so much the power of the hardware, but what you do with it. The PS3 is, technically, the most powerful, but the 360 has better looking games because the developers are using the 360's power in better ways. Same thing happened occasionally with the PS2.

El_NINO
Originally posted by dirkdirden
Any time you port a game from one console to another it always looks better on the console the game was designed for, unless they reprogram it which they never do.

Perfect example would be Oblivion for the PS3 look much worse than Oblivion for the 360 that has nothing to do with hardware its all in the software. That is because they just took an xbox game a forced it to play on a ps3 which never turns out good results. If they released God of War on the GC it wouldn't look as good as the PS2 original. Unless they put time and effort into porting over the games it will always look like crap.

So even though both xbox and Gcube have better hardware the ps2 still has better looking games and will keep on spiting out better looking games for the next 2 years with inferior hardware thanks to good programming. Software is always more important than hardware.

What your trying to say is not totally correct, basically you can only do what the hardware can allow you to do. Take a Computer for example, if a game or software requires you to have at least 1GB RAM and you only have 256, then you basically wont run that app because the software requires it to have minimum 1GB.

dirkdirden

dirkdirden
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Also, Oblivion was designed with PCs in mind, the 360 version is a port. So that kinda messes up your theory, Dirk.

Though I have to say that it's not so much the power of the hardware, but what you do with it. The PS3 is, technically, the most powerful, but the 360 has better looking games because the developers are using the 360's power in better ways. Same thing happened occasionally with the PS2.

That doesn't mess it up at all because the Xbox360 is a basically a pc it does run windows as we all know and oblivion was designed to run on windows. Also Oblivion looks better on a PC than on an xbox360 so that also helps support what I'm saying.

Originally posted by El_NINO
What your trying to say is not totally correct, basically you can only do what the hardware can allow you to do. Take a Computer for example, if a game or software requires you to have at least 1GB RAM and you only have 256, then you basically wont run that app because the software requires it to have minimum 1GB.

But if they re programmed the game good enough it could run on 256. They can optimize software to run on old hardware but they can't optimize new hardware to run old software better.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Lana

And the RE4 port to the PS2 very much shows this to be a fact. I never really checked out the RE4 port... was it because of anti-aliasing?

El_NINO
Originally posted by dirkdirden
But if they re programmed the game good enough it could run on 256. They can optimize software to run on old hardware but they can't optimize new hardware to run old software better.

No it couldnt, the amount of code processing through the pipeline would crash your PC and the RAM serves for storing code that is constantly being used along with other critical background services running of the RAM as well. No amount of "good reprogramming" would allow the game to run on 256 which is why they give a minimum and a recommended hardware setting. Try installing windows XP on a 486 PC and you tell me if that can work. Like I said no amount of "good reprogramming" would allow that software to run on old hardware, you really are limited to what the hardware can allow you to do.

dirkdirden

Darth Jello
PS3 is the new 3DO. Top of the line, expensive as hell, and intimidating to game developers.

office jesus
Link to rumor:

It doesn't suck. It'll be good for the industry. People'll be glad that Sony's not shoving their proprietary crap down people's throats. big grin

OB1-adobe
I was talking some of the guys at work. (Those dudes all work in the computers department mind you).

They all think Sony is going to tank and stop making systems within the next 2 years because the Ps3 is piece of crap apparently, and nobody wants to buy it, and Blue ray was the worst idea for them to make. They are just going to be like sega, and nobody wants to develop games for it.

Darth Jello
they should have waited 5-7 years before releasing it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3DO

OB1-adobe
Dude, when that thing came out:

A) Nobody carried it

B) Nobody even one or knew anyone who had one

C) No one would pay $700 for a video game system in 1993

D) They had shit for games, you can't sell hardware if no one wants the software.

When Gran turismo 5, Final fantasy 13, Grand theft auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, SOCOM 4, Killzone 2, and Kingdom Hearts 3 come out..........thats gonna push some units right there.

I look at Sony's track record, and really just can't believe that they are going to tank. For the last 10 years they have been solid gold, a success all across the board.

Worst case scenario it will be their N64.

I remember when everyone thought Nintendo were going to go **** up. Sega went, and everyone watched between 1995 and 2000.

I can't see it with sony

Analyst: PS3 Is Sony’s Last Console
December 1st, 2006 by Armin Siljkovic in Hardware, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Business, Articles
There has been no shortage of bad Sony news over the past months, everything from arrogant statements to console delays, and as a consequence, PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi has been removed as SCE president. He now holds a “higher” rank, as SCE chairman, meaning he won’t make any big decisions anymore. Analyst Yuta Sakurai from Nomura Securities predicts that the PS3 will be Sony’s last console,

“The appointment of Hirai could be the start of a shift from hardware to software. I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4. Hirai’s new global portfolio puts a predominantly software-focused manager in charge of the company.”

Sega went down the same path a few years ago, when the Dreamcast failed and the company became a software publisher. But that’s not the case with Sony, according to company PR chief Dave Karakker, who told GameSpot,

“Following the launch of the PlayStation 3 just a few weeks ago, and witnessing the huge consumer demand for the product, I think it would be rather short-sighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product”

So there you go, everything is apparently alright at Sony. Despite receiving rather negative reviews, the PS3 has sold out in both Japan and North America.

OB1-adobe
This story is total and utter Bullshit:

Zeusdude2020Nov 15 2006, 08:58 PM

so i was strolling through Target and i found the PS3 demo goin but too little 7 year olds (i'm guessing) and they were playing that moto cycle game (dunno wat its called) and all of the sudden it started laggin real bad, and i looked at the PS3 and it was smoking! and then BOOM it caught fire! I was like WAT THE HELL! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! soon the Target people come by and put out the fire, it only spread to two other shelves and everything else was fine, come to find out, i asked about this, they said this was "version one" PS3 that didn't have the cooling fan built in....wat an adventure

true story

SheWants

K73SK

Ricodrayz
What about the Dragon ball z game for ps2, when porte dto teh gamecube it looked a billion times better smile

Smasandian
Dude, when that thing came out:

When Gran turismo 5, Final fantasy 13, Grand theft auto 4, Metal Gear Solid 4, SOCOM 4, Killzone 2, and Kingdom Hearts 3 come out..........thats gonna push some units right there.

I look at Sony's track record, and really just can't believe that they are going to tank. For the last 10 years they have been solid gold, a success all across the board.

Worst case scenario it will be their N64.

I remember when everyone thought Nintendo were going to go **** up. Sega went, and everyone watched between 1995 and 2000.

I can't see it with sony

Analyst: PS3 Is Sony’s Last Console
December 1st, 2006 by Armin Siljkovic in Hardware, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Business, Articles
There has been no shortage of bad Sony news over the past months, everything from arrogant statements to console delays, and as a consequence, PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi has been removed as SCE president. He now holds a “higher” rank, as SCE chairman, meaning he won’t make any big decisions anymore. Analyst Yuta Sakurai from Nomura Securities predicts that the PS3 will be Sony’s last console,

“The appointment of Hirai could be the start of a shift from hardware to software. I cannot now imagine a PlayStation 4. Hirai’s new global portfolio puts a predominantly software-focused manager in charge of the company.”

Sega went down the same path a few years ago, when the Dreamcast failed and the company became a software publisher. But that’s not the case with Sony, according to company PR chief Dave Karakker, who told GameSpot,

“Following the launch of the PlayStation 3 just a few weeks ago, and witnessing the huge consumer demand for the product, I think it would be rather short-sighted for anyone to predict there might not be a next generation of PlayStation product”

So there you go, everything is apparently alright at Sony. Despite receiving rather negative reviews, the PS3 has sold out in both Japan and North America.

Well, the thing is those games wont come out for a very long time. KH3 will be atleast 3.5 years, GT5 will take probably another year or two, GTA4...well thats not an exclusive for Sony anymore being released at the same time as the 360's version. Who cares about Socom 4 and Killzone 2...please...the first game was crap, why would anybody buy that over Gears Of War and Halo.

I dont think Sony will not release another console, but what your saying in those quotes suggest that they might go towards software based business model.....nice way of using quotes.

And really, of course the PS3 sold out at launch...there was like 10 consoles per store.

J-Beowulf

They only had 200,000 units for all of North America. Of course they're going to sell out, most things do sell out on launch day especially when there's very little supply.

JToTheP
At that ridiculous cost? I hope so. Sony has overpriced every console they put out, ever. When Ps1 first came out it was also $300, I bought it 3 years later at $100.

El_NINO
Originally posted by JToTheP
At that ridiculous cost? I hope so. Sony has overpriced every console they put out, ever. When Ps1 first came out it was also $300, I bought it 3 years later at $100.

so basically you miss out on all the good stuff and fall behind. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.