Why does the search engine SUCK?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlackC@
Honestly, I typed in the EXACT title of a thread I made a week ago and it came up with nothing.

The search engine sucks. Can't we get a new one?

Barker
Believe it or not, that is the new search engine.

And people have been bitching about it for months. confused

Lana
It works just fine.

If you're looking for a specific thread title, then type 'title:thread title'.

Impediment
It always tells me that I'm using "invalid characters", which I guess is referring to the colon. Personally, I hate this new engine. Sometimes when don't know the exact title of a thread, I try to use keywords and I still get back nada.

Lana
You can't put a space after the colon, that's why it says that.

Thorinn
I have never had a problem with the search engine. ermm

But then again, I hardly use it.

Lana
I use it constantly and rarely am unable to find what I'm looking for ermm

Thorinn
Maybe the search engine doesn't like certain members. ermm

Raz
Originally posted by BlackC@
Honestly, I typed in the EXACT title of a thread I made a week ago and it came up with nothing.

The search engine sucks. Can't we get a new one? What were the search terms you used and what is the thread you're referring to?

I want to do a diagnostic on this.

Bardock42
I think the new search engine is useful in some aspects just as the old one was for others. Usually I find what I am looking for.

Ushgarak
Well, it's definitely the fastest, most accurate and most useful we've ever had; just needs a bit of knowhow on how to operate it.

Impediment
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Well, it's definitely the fastest, most accurate and most useful we've ever had; just needs a bit of knowhow on how to operate it.

I have to agree with you, now that Lana clarified what I was doing wrong (spacing after the colon in my search.) I would ask, however, that maybe a more detailed descriptor of how to use the new search engine, like one of those "Complete Idiot's Guide to using the new KMC Search Engine". Some would argue that such an action would be unnecessary, but then again, we do have some people on KMC who are candidates for brain transplants................myself included. stick out tongue

Syren
Well said hun, I've given up attempting to use the Search Engine because I never got the desired results. Most likely because I wasn't doing it right laughing out loud

Mišt
Originally posted by Ushgarak

Only for posts, does nothing for thread titles (yes I've tried the method Lana posted, how many average posters know that by the way?), which is pretty much the point of the search anyway so you dont make duplicates. So whenever a mod bitches about 'using the search', I can now reply 'I did, and it sucked so heres a duplicate' happy

Storm
The search engine works fine for me, thread titles included. I prefer it by far over the old one, since we can work with less than three characters now.

Mišt
How do you use it?

Look, I type in 'Jade Empire' for example, (this is the thread Im looking for: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28388&highlight=jade+empire+forumid%3A66 )

It comes up once in the normal search, on the third page. The rest are just posts mentioning it. I dont want to sit through and look at each page of search results for something that should come up clear as day.

I try the whole 'title:thread title' thing, 'title:Jade Empire' comes up with "Sorry, but no results were found for your search."

Its crap.

Storm
I ticked off "Search titles only" and typed in "Jade Empire" beneath KMC Search.

Mišt
Oooh....you're using that search....Im talking about the one down the bottom of the page thats easier to use but a pain in the ass to get results..

That one searches the whole of KMC though, I just want to search the forum I know the thread is in, and it doesnt work.

Storm
Of course we are. You can narrow down your search by searching by forum, which I didn' t even do in your case. You can even narrow down further by searching by user.

Mišt
Thats the part Im complaining about, searching by forum doesnt even give good results. It worked fine before the new one was put in place but now you can type in the entire thread title and not come up with anything, even though it is there.

Storm
Then use the KMC Search instead which is far more advanced anyway.

Raz

Raz
Narrow it down further by using the usename option.

Lana
See, I use the one at the bottom of the forum pretty much exclusively, and with that the only time I can't find the exact thread I'm looking for is if it's misspelled.

pinkfloydkor
then maybe im just stupid....

it never seems to work for me

Mišt
Originally posted by Raz
Here's the search

Oh you used brackets, see nobody mentioned that....cheersthumb up

Raz
The new engine uses Lucene as a backend.

The full query syntax can be found here: http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

You can use postid, title, userid, pagetext, dateline and threadid as fields for queries.

Maybe someone could write a guide we could sticky?

Mišt
Question: If you use the 'title: (thread title)', does that search for exactly what you have typed in, or does it search for keywords? I tried to find another thread today but I wasnt sure what the exact name of it was, and I couldnt find it on any of the other searches.

Syren
I don't think you need to use brackets... I did and it didn't bring anything up. I mean, I searched the OTF using 'title:the gentlemans club' and that seemed to work well enough. But when I tried the brackets as well it found nothing shrug

Raz
If you type in title:the gentlemans club - then it will search for "the" in the title and "gentlemans" and "club" in either the title or a post.

Correct way would be to use title:"the gentlemans club" to search for that exact phrase or titlesadthe gentlemans club) for those terms in the title in any order.

Syren
Originally posted by Raz
If you type in title:the gentlemans club - then it will search for "the" in the title and "gentlemans" and "club" in either the title or a post.

Correct way would be to use title:"the gentlemans club" to search for that exact phrase or titlesadthe gentlemans club) for those terms in the title in any order.

Ok, but as I said, the first thing I searched for was titlesadthe gentlemans club) and it found nothing. So I tried title:the gentlemans club and, as you said, it brought up the thread itself and other places where it had been mentioned. So if I used title:"the gentlemans club" it will search for the title as a whole?

I was just wondering why the use of brackets found nothing.

Ushgarak
Hmm, got to concur with Syren on this one Raz; neither brackets nor quote marks find the thread. They find Mech's old one though.

Edit: Ah, but Gentleman (without the s) does work.

Is it possible that the apostrophe in "Gentleman's Club" (which Mech's one did not have) is throwing it? The search does not work with or without the apostrophe but that really only backs the suspicion.

Lana
Actually I think I know why that example doesn't work.

The lack of the apostrophe in the search term (which is in the actual thread title) might do it.

Type in title:"the gentleman's club" and it comes up with it, I just checked.

Lana
Though...hmmm. That only works if you use the search at the bottom of the forum.

Ushgarak
No, that's not it. If you search in the forum using the quote marks it finds the words in the body text, not the title, in what is meant to be a literal title-only search. The 'title' part of the search seems to have become redundant when used like that.

That being the case, the reason you only find it when using the search box in the OTF is precisely because it is searching for body text, not title.

It does seem this is not working properly. As it stands it still seems that it cannot find "The Gentleman's Club" by a title search, using parentheses or quote marks, and it may be the fault of the apostrophe.

Lana
Apparently.

This is honestly the first time I've actually run into this problem. Huh.

Also, just how long does it take for threads to end up in the search? I've noticed that threads that are less than a month or two old don't come up...

Ushgarak
Actually, I am not sure the quote mark searches work at all. Following the example above, the parentheses will find Jade Empire, but the quote marks will not. Again, it seems to search only the body text, not the title, when done in quote marks.

Just to follow up on the apostrophe thing, it seems a title search does not work on any term using an apostrophe, or at least an apostrophe followed by an s.

Raz
Yup confirmed.

The engine doesn't like apostrophe's...

Also, it seems, the need for brackets is mandatory. i.e. title:"the gentleman club" will not work as expected instead it should be titlesad"the gentleman club"wink

About the inclusion time - the engine is updated 4 times a day IIRC. And it contains all 7 million+ posts.

Do you have a link to the thread and the search terms you used that didn't find the thread?

Lana
Well, it's about 4-5 threads that it doesn't find, and they're all on the front page of that specific forum, so it's not that big of a deal...but I noticed it when I was doing a search for all of the Matrix RPG threads in the RP forum. I'll type title:matrix into the search at the bottom of the forum, and it gives me all the old threads (which are 2-3 years old), but only one thread from this year (dated from June) comes up.

Raz
I've found the problem. One of the fields wasn't being tokenized properly.

I'm currently rebuilding the search index. Should be done in around 12 hours.

Syren
I've realised, the actual thread title is 'The Gentlemans Club'. No apostrophe at all. Is that relevant?

Syren
You know what, I checked. It took me over 15 minutes to find the thread and check for the apostrophe (says it all really) and it does have one. Ignore me, I got drunk. No excuses ermm

Lana
You know you could have found it in about 30 seconds by looking in your profile, right? stick out tongue

Dusty
Originally posted by Lana
You know you could have found it in about 30 seconds by looking in your profile, right? stick out tongue

laughing

Thorinn
faint

Barker
Count on Lana to save the day.. yesterday. 13

Syren

I looked in my profile, but I have 9 pages of threads and couldn't find the Club embarrasment

I fail so bad weep

Thorinn
laughing out loud

Self OWND? confused

Mišt
Originally posted by Thorinn
Its not that good a thread anyway confused

Originally posted by Syren
I looked in my profile, but I have 9 pages of threads and couldn't find the Club embarrasment

I fail so bad weep

You have a link in your profile that goes straight to it petpet

Raz
Search engine back up and running.

Now, when you do a search from a forum, it should give you more accurate and more up-to-date results.

Next, I need to get "display as threads" working.... ermm

Raz
...and it seems we have "display as threads" working for search eek!

Dusty
He works fast. smile

Storm
Bad, bad side effect on the KMC Search when you search entire posts. As a result, it gives the threads in which your keyword(s) appear instead of the posts itself.

And look at "Find all posts" in our profile.

Scottie
What happened to the Search thingy, why does it only show the thread name and not the post or did raz change it again?

Lana
Read up about four posts...

Scottie
yeh i did, but why did he change it again?

it only shows the thread title and not individual posts

Raz
Originally posted by Storm
Bad, bad side effect on the KMC Search when you search entire posts. As a result, it gives the threads in which your keyword(s) appear instead of the posts itself.

And look at "Find all posts" in our profile. ...and it's fixed! big grin

Scottie
Originally posted by Raz
...and it's fixed! big grin w00t problem solved

ta Raz

Storm
Originally posted by Raz
...and it's fixed! big grin
kisses

Impediment
Raz = w00t

Thank you for the improvement!

Syren

Clovie
RAZZZZZLE@!!!!!!

is there any chance that showing results as post would be default?

~Da Moose~
I can't find the search engine. Is there somewhere I can search for it?

Syren
ermm

Raz
Originally posted by ~Da Moose~
I can't find the search engine. Is there somewhere I can search for it? Err, try Google.Originally posted by Clovie
RAZZZZZLE@!!!!!!

is there any chance that showing results as post would be default? It is.

Clovie
Originally posted by Raz
It is. no, it's not
it's showing as threads and I have to check that box in the advanced to have it shown by posts.......

Raz
Anyone else confirm?

I've just done a search, and its showing it as posts for me.

Clovie
blink for me it's no.
and I'm using the sar wars skin confused if it makes a difference..

*changes skin*

in green is showing as threads too

blue - threads

IN DEFAULT it's working fine!!!!!

light blue as well blink

and x-men too

I don't get it blink

~Da Moose~
Originally posted by Raz
Err, try Google.

I got this

http://www.eckweb.com/images/frustrated.jpg

Bardock42
Originally posted by Raz
Anyone else confirm?

I've just done a search, and its showing it as posts for me.
Can confirm. Just tried in the Music Forum. I got threads. Using KMC Blue I believe.

Lana
Shows by threads for me as well, unless I use the KMC Search and Advanced Options.

Clovie
TOLD YA!!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Clovie
In your face, *****

Anyone else got the impression that's what she wanted to say?

Clovie
Originally posted by Bardock42
Anyone else got the impression that's what she wanted to say? ermm? are you missing me? eek!

Bardock42
ermm? are you missing me? eek!

Slightly. Though since you are here...not so much.

Clovie
ok, for your pleasure I'll stop posting again.....

Bardock42
ok, for your pleasure I'll stop posting again.....

Missing people is not generally considered a pleasure by me.

Clovie
so you WERE missing me!!! happy hug

Raz
RAZZZZZLE@!!!!!!

is there any chance that showing results as post would be default? Just checked, and the current way has always been the default way.

Clovie
it wasn't blink if it was I wouldn't be surprised or anything. don't make an idiot out of me messed

Bardock42
so you WERE missing me!!! happy hug

That's what I said. Twice.Originally posted by Raz
Just checked, and the current way has always been the default way.

That's not true, it was shown as posts before.

Clovie
I must have missed that moment stick out tongue

BlackC@
Okay, I made a thread about a week or so ago with the title "What's I Love Lucy about?"

I tried to search it and NOTHING came up!!!

Scottie
Originally posted by BlackC@
Okay, I made a thread about a week or so ago with the title "What's I Love Lucy about?"

I tried to search it and NOTHING came up!!! i tried searching it and found it first time, have you tried clicking "advanced" ?

Raz
Default options set to "show as posts" - so should help finding your thread.

And, as Scottie suggested, you may want to look into the advanced options to narrow down the results.

=Tired Hiker=
I have read in many a post of complaints about KMC's search engine not being the way it used to be. I have experienced this as well many times for probably about a year now. I remember when I could type in the title of a thread I wanted to find and BAM! it would appear. This just doesn't seem to be the case anymore. erm

Discuss . . .

JesusTheChrist
Lets sell it to Google.

=Tired Hiker=
Christ almighty! It just might work.

I believe that we the people annoyed by the search feature deserve the old one back!

Mr. Bacon
i hate it

Lana
It doesn't suck. It works much better than it used to, and is much more specific.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6874573#post6874573

Xenogears
It doesn't suck. It works much better than it used to, and is much more specific.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6874573#post6874573 I lub you! hug

=Tired Hiker=

I just got more confused. wacko

DigiMark007

Co-signed.

Also, this is what I told my forum:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/432545_1-how-to-use-the-new-search-function

...a simpler set of instructions for using the search to find threads. I've rarely had problems.

=Tired Hiker=
Oooops . . . embarrasment

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/whoa1.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/TiredHiker/whoa.jpg

Bloigen
That quick links is pretty useful, it's good that I didn't just find it today... herbeyes

Strangelove
I was confused by it at first, but with Raz's explanation, I'm sure to like it a lot more happy

SnakeEyes
I mean, it's sucked for a while now. What gives?

dadudemon
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

Raz and Peach, as far as I'm aware, both use the system quite well. It works very well for them. They know how to use it quite well, as well.

The problem, my friend, would be in the user of the system, and not the system itself.

Also, this is the wrong sub-forum for this question.

Bardock42
You can use the advanced search option at the top of the page to give you some more options, such as deciding whether to have posts or threads displayed. On the whole I quite like the system, I find what I search for well usually, though sometimes I do rely on Google finding something.

Sometimes it is important to know some odd phrasing in the title or a thread if you want to find a thread again.

It's not perfect, but sufficient, imo.

Peach
Merged threads.

Also, check out this post:

Personally, I have never once had an issue with the search engine. I'm always able to find what I'm looking for. It just requires you spend a few seconds learning the specific tricks to use it properly.

dadudemon
You can use the advanced search option at the top of the page to give you some more options, such as deciding whether to have posts or threads displayed. On the whole I quite like the system, I find what I search for well usually, though sometimes I do rely on Google finding something.

Sometimes it is important to know some odd phrasing in the title or a thread if you want to find a thread again.

It's not perfect, but sufficient, imo.

I was thinking that an additional search option could be added to help with that thing you are referring to.

Is there a way, currently, to use logical commands such as "and" and "or"?

If so, that could help find what people are looking for, easier.

I had a hard time finding "The official cool videos thread". How would I find it with ease, with the tools I have now?

I have my own way that is very quick...btw. I just want to see if I'm even doing this right.

Barker
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Already a thread on how the search feature sucks, why don't you search next time first? Thanks.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
I was thinking that an additional search option could be added to help with that thing you are referring to.

Is there a way, currently, to use logical commands such as "and" and "or"?

If so, that could help find what people are looking for, easier.

I had a hard time finding "The official cool videos thread". How would I find it with ease, with the tools I have now?

I have my own way that is very quick...btw. I just want to see if I'm even doing this right. I just put in cool videos thread in the search on the top. The result is on the first page.

If you go to advanced and specify the OTF, only search by title and display as thread, putting in "cool videos" it's the only result you get.

dadudemon
I just put in cool videos thread in the search on the top. The result is on the first page.

If you go to advanced and specify the OTF, only search by title and display as thread, putting in "cool videos" it's the only result you get.

The last line of my post is indicative of searching for the thread and finding it rather quickly. I used to have trouble finding the thread until I started searching differently.

Bardock42
The last line of my post is indicative of searching for the thread and finding it rather quickly. I used to have trouble finding the thread until I started searching differently.

Yes, I can read, but you asked how others do it, so I told you.

dadudemon
Yes, I can read, but you asked how others do it, so I told you.

K.

And it's "Who's."

Bardock42
K.

And it's "Who's."

Redicolous bygones.

Quincy
Originally posted by Barker
Already a thread on how the search feature sucks, why don't you search next time first? Thanks.

laughing

Peach
Why would you bump a months' dead thread simply to laugh at something (that wasn't even funny)?

You don't bump threads unless you actually have something to add to the discussion.

Quincy
I'm sorry I thought what Barker said was funny.

It....won't happen again?

Adam_PoE
Is the search function not working for anyone else?

Bardock42
It is working for me

Adam_PoE
It is working for me

"Search is currently updating. Please try again in a few moments."

Bardock42
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
"Search is currently updating. Please try again in a few moments." Yeah, it's doing that for me, now too.

Raz
It normally only takes a few seconds, but is necessary to have the lastest posts in there! ...and to make is lighting fast!

K.Diddy
beer I typed in Hard Candy in the movie discussion forum and no thread for it came up......Even though it is sitting there on the first page?

Am I doing something wrong cause K.Diddy doesn't want to get his ass kicked for making duplicate threads

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.