Name the last truly original superpowered character.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
I can't think of a single superpowered person in the last 30 years with a superpower or a story that hasn't been done before. Name the last truly original character you can remember.

The only one that comes to my mind is Wolverine....seriously. I don't remember anyone having unbreakable bones and built in knives that cut through anything before him.

SpunkySmurph
Daredevil- A blind guy who's other five senses, and a special 6th one are all that he has to rely on, along with his solid sense of justice

Venom- Alien symbiote that copies the powers of the wearers, is vulnerable to sonics and fire, and evolves to become a twisted anti-hero

And Ghostrider, who just seems blatantly unique to me. Or, at least, he was at the time. The flaming skull thing might no longer be original

long pig
I can agree with two of those, and both are over 30 friggin' years old! And that's sad.

Venom isn't original at all...whatsoever. There was a twighlight zone eppsiode in the 60's about symbiotic clothes who take over people when they wore them and give them lots of power but make them sort of evil. They'd also get addicted to it. Sooo, no. Venom ain't original, but the other two are very much so original I believe.

Ok, in the past 15 years, who is the most original?

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by long pig

Symbiosis isn't. Character is.

The Watchmen fall into that category. So does V for Vendetta. Also, the concept of Thanos.

long pig
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
Symbiosis isn't. Character is.

The Watchmen fall into that category. So does V for Vendetta. Also, the concept of Thanos.

Venom was a symbiotic suit, so was that one.

Venom's suit boosts your strength, so did that one.

Venom's suit was addictive, so was that one.

Venom's suit made you evil, so did that one.

Venom's suit was black, so was that one.
Venom is just Spiderman with a bad attitude.

I don't think Thanos' powerset is orginal. strong/smart/durable/powerful blasts are about 60 years old.

Howard_Jones
Venom was a symbiotic suit, so was that one.

Venom's suit boosts your strength, so did that one.

Venom's suit was addictive, so was that one.

Venom's suit made you evil, so did that one.

Venom's suit was black, so was that one.
Venom is just Spiderman with a bad attitude.

I don't think Thanos' powerset is orginal. strong/smart/durable/powerful blasts are about 60 years old.

I said the character, not the power.

Put down the doobie.

long pig
I said the character, not the power.

Put down the doobie.
That's what the thread is about. It's about super human's with original superpowers.
Since Venom is only 1/3 original, he's not truly original, so yeah.

Howard_Jones
That's what the thread is about. It's about super human's with original superpowers.
Since Venom is only 1/3 original, he's not truly original, so yeah.

Considering Superman had about 75% of the original powers out there, you won't find many.

To find an orignal hero, you can't just look at the powerset. You gotta look at the character behind it.

However, here's some mostly originals:

Namor
Human Torch (silver age)
Mr. Fantastic
Invisible Woman
Captain America

B dot Rob
Jack Hawksmoore

bigbran
Professor X? (how old is he?)
Squirrel Girl! (yes I win!)

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by bigbran
Professor X? (how old is he?)
Squirrel Girl! (yes I win!) End of 1963. But I don't know how original I consider telepathy to be.

bigbran
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
End of 1963. But I don't know how original I consider telepathy to be. A bald man in a wheelchair that teaches people?

Stan Lee.

xmarksthespot
His character was somewhat inspired by MLK Jr. erm

Kid Kurdy
Cloak and Dagger.

AcousticDoc
slap stick. I don't remember seeing a comic book chracter with cartoon powers before him.

bigbran
Superman...

S-Ranger
Would Genis count?

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by S-Ranger
Would Genis count?

No, but his dad might

Jyppe
Stacy X - Even though no one liked her.

DDurand
Difficult to say.

I don't think Thanos and Captain America are originals.

Thanos is just an "i am always true and i'm bad" with invulnerability and beams.
He is created in... 1973. More than 30 years. And it's an homage to Darkseid.

Captain America is too old (1940, first publication in march 1941). And it's a rip-of of a character named... Shield (by Joe Simon ?).

I go with Galactus (ar, no : 1966)...

Damn... Squirrel Girl ?
Well, it's a loosely furry/catgirl toon-like character. Maybe Squirrel Girl (Hey ! Mister Master ! I put her just after God/TOAA !).

I go with the Psychic dislexia institute : All the characters are affected by a psychic dislexia. As the Bunny : He project negative emotions, "causing anyone near you to want to kick the bejeezu out of you".

Scoobless
Originally posted by B dot Rob
Jack Hawksmoore

Dammit... I was gonna say that (but without the "e" at the end.

stick out tongue

Scoobless
That drummer guy from Planetary?

Mindship
The Silver Surfer has got to be one of the most original characters ever. Herald to a planet eater? When did we ever hear of that before? No costume: he is what he looks like. Flies standing up. Even Reed Richards said, In all the universe, there'll never be another like him.

NiņoAraņa
"Daredevil- A blind guy who's other five senses, and a special 6th one are all that he has to rely on, along with his solid sense of justice"

just had to point that out stick out tongue

Scoobless
Originally posted by Mindship
The Silver Surfer has got to be one of the most original characters ever. Herald to a planet eater? When did we ever hear of that before? No costume: he is what he looks like. Flies standing up. Even Reed Richards said, In all the universe, there'll never be another like him.

He was ceated over 30 years ago though

DDurand
Sorry : Daredevil, 1964. Too old.

Scoobless
Nitro?

Scoobless
Seth from The Authority.

DDurand
Nitro : Too old, 1974.

Who is Seth (don't know the Authority comic) ?

Face
Ironman has emmense powers especially when his teamed up with Thor and Captain America

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/Vloco/ironman1powerup.gif

King_Mungi
Puck, an indestructable dwarf that is a century old who at one time had a demon trapped inside him.

grey fox
Sentry.

Sure his powers aren't original but give him credit where credits due.

He has a KILLER origin.

I mean what is he ? Super-powered Saviour ? Insane Mental Patient ?Darkest Evil on the planet ?

And the whole Silver Age to Current thing is pretty cool too.

Scoobless
I get the impression that this thread is for original powersets rather than original characterisations.

no expression

H. S. 6
Galactus and Silver Surfer are pretty damn unique.

I can agree with grey fox about Sentry. While he isn't the most original, he certainly has a good level of originality--he's high up there. People overreact and cry "z0mg Superman rip-off!!!1!" without ever having read one of his stories.

Really, I can't think of many others like him, so I'd go with Sentry for the past 15 years category.

Originally posted by Scoobless
I get the impression that this thread is for original powersets rather than original characterisations.

no expression

The first post said "original superpower or story," so I'd say it's both.

Howard_Jones
Darkhawk.

grey fox
PowerWise though has to be The Doctor.

ThePittman
Well if you go back thirty years there are a lot of original characters, it is harder to come up with them nowadays

Rewmac
Can't really give one...Superman and everybody who is under my sig big grin big grin big grin laughing

bigbran
Stardust.

SpunkySmurph
Though they are probably too old...

Gambit
Colossus
Rogue (sortof...)
Abyss
Joker (insane criminal genius from one bad day)

Not one single Spiderman villain (with the possible exception of Venom)

Blair Wind
Considering Superman had about 75% of the original powers out there, you won't find many.

Captain Marvel flew before Superman. no expression

bigbran
Abraxus.

Mindship
Originally posted by Scoobless
He was ceated over 30 years ago though

I don't care. He's that good. stick out tongue

manjaro
i though it was unique charcter period..why does it matter when they were created? anyhoo wolverine had it in the bag until X23 came along.....spiderman is pretty unique..im sure there are but for the life of me i cant think of anyone else who was bitten by a radioactive insect...spider or otherwise

littleredhat
Gertrude of the Runnaways. The child of time travelers with mind link to a dino? Awsome.

Layla Miller's powers have been done before but the way she uses them is very innovative.

Disappear
except gert's dead, and her mind link is hooked up to chase now. so i guess chase loses originality points.

multiple man had to be original back in his time. not his 'i'm an angry orphan' origin, but his powers at least.

Badabing
Sentry. shifty

Scoobless
Mr Immortal

SpunkySmurph
Gladiator isn't bad- his abilitys being based on his confidence level, I mean. I'm not dense enough to suggest his power set is unique

UniOmni
Whoever said the Doctor from the Authority, is easily at the top.
Same for Jenny, the Spirit of whatever century.
Same for God of Cities.

All of them hail from Wildstorm..........imagine that.

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Blair Wind
Captain Marvel flew before Superman. no expression

I never said anything about flight.

manjaro
now that i think about it..even tho thanos pays homage to darkseid, he is the only guy i know that can set himself up as skyfather if he feels like it that actually wants to die, i mean he actually WANTS to die

Alfheim
This guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shola_Inkosi

and I was complaining how black male characters dont have orginial powers.

Powers

Shola is a self-described "combat telekinetic" and also has a low-level of telepathic abilities. His telekinetic abilities are mostly destructive in nature, but he has also displayed precise fine motor control, the peak of which was obliterating a granite slab to dust, removing that dust from clothing and the surrounding environment, compacting the dust into a granite spear, then re-obliterating the spear back into dust (shown in Mekanix). However, in the Excalibur series his powers were mostly destructive.

Darth Vegas
Nightcrawler
Gambit

SpunkySmurph
Typhoid Mary

Accel
I'd say Longshot probably.

Grimm22
The Runaways, especially Nico are original erm

King_Mungi
Manikin?
http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Manikin

Grimm22
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Manikin?
http://alphanex.alphaflight.net/index.php/Manikin

That reminds me of that stupid deer in that pirate anime confused

Except this guy is Canadian...and isn't part of some stupid Japanese cartoon

inamilist
Originally posted by Grimm22

lol

The kids I look after watch that... terrible!

anime peaked with DBZ

long pig
I appreciate everyone's gusto, but 10 years, dammit. That's the cut off date. 10 years and under. No older.

The whole point of this was to find at least ONE new super-power. I guess there isn't any...sad

Even some Authority comics are older than 10 years, or at least the stormwatch comics are, right?

kenobi
I would have to say Madrox the multiple man is the most recent comic character to have "original" powers.

Dreampanther
Spawn. (1992)
And The Darkness. (1996)

While there is nothing new in gaining powers from the devil, or coming back after death, McFarlane combined the ideas to make a pretty unique character, with the added twist that the faster Spawn uses his powers, the faster he will lose them... I think that's pretty unique.

And The Darkness fits your requirements in that it is 10 years old, and I also don't know of anybody else who has his specific, unique powers.

Alfheim
I appreciate everyone's gusto, but 10 years, dammit. That's the cut off date. 10 years and under. No older.

The whole point of this was to find at least ONE new super-power. I guess there isn't any...sad

Even some Authority comics are older than 10 years, or at least the stormwatch comics are, right?

Hey what about Shola Inkosi???? Thats pretty original.

Grimm22
Originally posted by kenobi
I would have to say Madrox the multiple man is the most recent comic character to have "original" powers.

True, especially with the realization recently that he actually isn't even a mutant

ThePittman

Horrificus
Marshall Law - A Super-Being Policing Super Beings, looooong before
anybody else thought of it.

Guy Gardner - WAS on an original track. A Rotten, half-crazy dude,
(only human at the time) wanting to be a super hero
so bad, he was willing to make his way to Oa, and
steal the Yellow Power ring after a battle of wills
against the spirit of one of the most dangerous beings
in DC. Not bad.

Bloodshot - Was the first character to be created through the use of
Nanotechnology.

MadGod Sector 3600 - An entire sector of space becomes sentient, and
battles the Green Lanterns and a bunch of Guardians.

Strong Guy - As much as it pains me to admit it, has an original power.

Unus - always in a force field, practically becoming a prisoner of it.

Galan007
Mr. Mxy
Spectre

Both are very original IMO.

ThePittman

grey fox
Originally posted by Grimm22

Lay off of One Piece , the Dub is horrible , but the Manga is pretty good.

Horrificus
Darkoth the Death Demon had a Metal Skeleton before Wolverine did.

Darkoth - 1st appearance in January of 1974, Fantastic Four #142.
Promethium Skeleton.

Wolverine - 1st appearance in October of 1974, Hulk #180.
Adamantium Skeleton.

Horrificus

ThePittman
I still like Maggot, just an odd character but a funny power.

roughrider
Recently?

Mr. Terrific, from the JSA.
He has one power - being invisible to all technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Terrific_%28Michael_Holt%29

Horrificus
Originally posted by roughrider
Recently?

Mr. Terrific, from the JSA.
He has one power - being invisible to all technology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mister_Terrific_%28Michael_Holt%29

That IS Terrific!

roughrider
Originally posted by Horrificus
Darkoth the Death Demon had a Metal Skeleton before Wolverine did.

Darkoth - 1st appearance in January of 1974, Fantastic Four #142.
Promethium Skeleton.

Wolverine - 1st appearance in October of 1974, Hulk #180.
Adamantium Skeleton.
Wolverine did have a regenerative healing factor before anyone else, though - right?
Plus, the concept was pretty radical for the time. A heroic character with a dark edge - drinking, smoking, chasing skirt - and no qualms about killing people who oppose him or just deserve it ( fitting, that he and the Punisher should debut in the same year.) And, he was virtually the first such major character - from Marvel or DC - who was Canadian.

manjaro
whether ten yrs or not, the most unique comic charcter of all time would have to be the reverend from Authority, his powers is basically infecting ppl with a bio electric virus, and every person they touch it gets passed on, and the more ppl they touch the stronger he got...he could also control there minds too, and it got to the point where he had control over 2/3 of the earth's population...literally having the combined stretngh and durability of hundreds of millions of ppl..in fact, he was so strong just one punch sent apollo careening around the entire globe in 8 minutes..he was moving so fast that he actually parted giant waves in the sea, and crashing thru mounatins and buildings didnt slow his pace either...that's freaking unique

Sparkz
How about overide, he had the power to stop all tech from working, I can't think of anyone eles who can do that.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Sparkz
How about overide, he had the power to stop all tech from working, I can't think of anyone eles who can do that.

Hey I remember that guy Captain America annual right?. I thought that annual was pretty good. I was thinking about him the other day for a debate but he had no bio.

I think his power was that he could control all tech with his mind not just swith it off.

Shola Inkosi!

ThePittman
Couple other characters

Warlock
Freestyle (DV8)
Jesse Custer
Saint of Killers
Xron

Howard_Jones
Saint of Killers wins.

Sparkz
Originally posted by Alfheim
Hey I remember that guy Captain America annual right?. I thought that annual was pretty good. I was thinking about him the other day for a debate but he had no bio.

I think his power was that he could control all tech with his mind not just swith it off.

Shola Inkosi!

Actualy I saw him in Spider-man comics where he used a suit to access and shut down all tech (even Spidey's webshooters) It was around the "Spider hunt" era just before identity crisis.

What If...
Firestar.

Fire-based character who actually manipultes radiation not actual flame.

quickshot
I couldn't think of one in 10 years that wasn't just a derivative of something else but the last 20 or 30 years have been full of originality

manjaro
Vixen and animal man,,be it 10 yrs or 20 they have it locked

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.