Could Thor possibly become as popular as Superman... ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lucid Lui
Ok, so obviously the chance of that happening anytime soon is miniscule.

What i really mean is, is it possible for Thor to become one of Marvel's flagship characters? Both in terms of inside the MU and marketing/sales? For example, Thor and Spider-Man would be Marvel's Superman and Batman.

Do you think this could happen, and if so, how?

S-Ranger
I love the guy and Marvel have really tried like i remember back in 1999 when they gave him a new series and stuff to push him but for some reason he keep's failing in popularity unless he get's a strong team behind him and keep up the success that the amazing stories we got then we could hopefully see him become a top tier flagship again.

bigbran
DC would be burned down if Superman went into a deep sleep like Thor has, so no, Thor won't be.

Ichigo66666
I believe they could but over 10 years or so.

Maybe an animated series, 2 on-goings, some films. Make the Mjolnir more iconic and a symbol like the S.

Maybe some Thor toys and such, Costumes, Toy Mjolnir.

Howard_Jones
If they could pull it off, they'd need an amazing movie, an excellent comic, quit him jobbing out to everyone, and establish him as a major player.

willRules
I consider Thor quite similar to characters like Storm, The Thing or Hawkeye. He is popular enough for the fans to want him in most Avengers line ups, but probably just not popular enough to have their own series.........

streekz
superman as been around a long time and i know thor as too but fact is none comic fans know who superman is. he is an household name in a certain way. blink
my opinion is now sentry has arrived on marvel, i think thor is gona take a back seat to him. i might be wrong. i like thor but superman is always gona be bigger than him.

Rewmac
If they'd didn' kill Thor. Put a movie Trology out with him. Start a cartoon series. And in 10 years he will reach 1/10 of Superman's popularity. Everyone knows Superman. Even my parents do know who Superman and Batman is. They are Classic. And they are my favs big grin No hero can challange them big grin shifty

DDurand
Sorry for my bad english.
----

Nope. I don't think.

Superman is known all around the world by the movies.

Superman is iconic by himself. Marvel's Thor is just a remake of a much more know real god. And the real god is different and has more charisma (it's an heroic moron).

Think to Spiderman. He's iconic by himself.

Thor is an "northen" figure. Marvel is an hyper-patriotic company (yes, we have another word for that...). Humans >>> non-humans ; USA-peoples >>> Other humans ; Anglo-saxons >>> Latins.
Thor is so powerful because is a germanic god. In Marvel, Asgardians >>> Other gods.
Anglo-saxons know well Thor.

In France, for example, Thor is a secondary god. Greecs, Romans and Egyptians are far more importance. The "Thor" character has not in France the same importance than in anglo-saxon and germanic countries. A character called "Thor" has to be strongly introduced in no-anglo-saxon countries, because he's not in the local culture.

Superman is not see as an "USA hero".
No matter who can adapt Superman.

Thor and remains a purely US character, who is interested really only in the USA. And it is still worse if you thinks of Avengers.

Peoples who don't know or like US comics (or even comics) can easily understand Superman : It's a good and gentle reporter who can change himself in godlike character who can fly, lift cars, shoot laser by his eyes and can't be harmed by bullets.
But Thor ? Who he is ? Thor is just a "uber-wank" as Wolverine, Hulk or Thanos.

Think to Spiderman : Easy to understand.

Superman is gentle, polite, humble. Superman is FRIENDLY. Superman is our friend. We can love Superman because you know he love you already.
Thor ? Err...

Think to Spiderman : He's gentle, polite, humble. Spiderman is Friendly. And funny.

What have Thor ? Just his uber-powa.

streekz
laughing out loud think you just killed the thread.
i guess what you trying to say is superman is worldy known to thor who is almost bound to USA.
I dont live in america so i could go outside and ask a large amount of people to name 10 superheroes. thor would not even be thought of.

S-Ranger
I loled can't compete against that.

DDurand

Alfheim
Originally posted by Lucid Lui
Ok, so obviously the chance of that happening anytime soon is miniscule.

What i really mean is, is it possible for Thor to become one of Marvel's flagship characters? Both in terms of inside the MU and marketing/sales? For example, Thor and Spider-Man would be Marvel's Superman and Batman.

Do you think this could happen, and if so, how?

If more people started praying to Thor it could happen.

roughrider
Probably never as big, no. Look at Captain Marvel at DC - how he's had to take a back seat to Supes for decades.
When the movie comes out - within three years, according to Marvel - we'll see if it's popular enough to push him forward. Right now, you could say Wolverine is a bigger character than Superman, thanks to the massive success of the movies, and the steady push in popularity for the X-Men since the 1970's. It took the movies for the entire mainstream to make him a household name.
It took the 1970's TV show of the Hulk to make him a household name - people know who he is without having to be explained. So, Thor is going to need a similar push for the mainstream to really know him.

Soujaboy
Now Thor will never be as popular as Superman, but it's obvious that his popularity is growing. I mean look at Marvel Ultimate Alliance, he 's one of the main characters along with Captain America, Spider man, and Wolverine. Just being put in the same lineup with these characters is proof that his popularity is growing.

It would help if they changed Thor's gear from that classic crap.

SpunkySmurph
The problem with Thor, is that his character seems, to the layman, so based on the Norse religion/mythology that he loses his identifiability with the common man. Sure Superman is essenially an alien, but he is the picture of the man that everybody wants to be- strong willed, good natured, evil fighting. The good guy.

Thor is a grown man with long golden hair and wings on his head, who flies around waving a hammer and speaking in centurys-old english. erm

roughrider
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
The problem with Thor, is that his character seems, to the layman, so based on the Norse religion/mythology that he loses his identifiability with the common man. Sure Superman is essenially an alien, but he is the picture of the man that everybody wants to be- strong willed, good natured, evil fighting. The good guy.

Thor is a grown man with long golden hair and wings on his head, who flies around waving a hammer and speaking in centurys-old english. erm

Al least his outfit doesn't look like pajamas, with underwear on the outside. wink

Rewmac
Originally posted by roughrider
Al least his outfit doesn't look like pajamas, with underwear on the outside. wink Hey... mad mad Don't you dare disrespect my hero's outfit big grin stick out tongue

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by roughrider
Al least his outfit doesn't look like pajamas, with underwear on the outside. wink

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Thor to Supes any day. But he just cant represent the same kind of identifiability as Supes does to the common man.

Dinalfos
Drop the Thorspeak and he has a chance. A SLIM chance, but a chance nonetheless.

Btw, Superman's popularity is a bit overrated. He's more of an abstract icon that nobody really cares about, yet they know him.

Rewmac
Don't get me wrong, I prefer Thor to Supes any day. But he just cant represent the same kind of identifiability as Supes does to the common man. Superman is like the perfect hero. Strong, got his weakness, love, secret identity (classic style) and the hearth for he job. Thor on the other hand is a God. He fights for humanity, he has the power and the will and the sense for good. But he is more a judge than a classical hero.

Alfheim

Thats a good point, thats why characters like Batman are so popular. They were discussing it on some posh late night review program and even some reviewier was getting hyped up over the fact that all Batmans powers could be explained. It could have actually got heated but the guy backed down because he didnt want to look like a geek...LOL

Newjak
People are confusing Popularity with being an Icon.

Superman will always be an Icon but it doesn't mean he is the most popular. Batman has been more popular so has Spiderman argueably. Could Thor ever be as popular yes he could he just needs to get a good mainstream push that adds depth to his character that makes him seem mortal.

Obviously he will never be the Icon but no hero ever will be.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Newjak
People are confusing Popularity with being an Icon.

Superman will always be an Icon but it doesn't mean he is the most popular. Batman has been more popular so has Spiderman argueably. Could Thor ever be as popular yes he could he just needs to get a good mainstream push that adds depth to his character that makes him seem mortal.

Obviously he will never be the Icon but no hero ever will be.

Popularity and being Iconical go hand in hand.

Popularity makes Icons

Likeability makes Popularity

Power, Good Character and Identifiability makes Likeability (for the layman)

Superman has all of those in abundance. Thor lacks the last one.

Dinalfos
Superman is NOT popular, but VERY iconic. There's a difference. Most people know him, but very view of them actually care. He may have been popular once, but right now he certainly isn't.

streekz
i think thats due to the changing of times, these days people would rather show interest in the dark heroes like batman and spawn. if superman has other 2 films then he might be popular again.

roughrider
People have stated Superman isn't as popular because he's too much a good guy/boy scout etc. Well, Spider Man is just as much a good guy who's heart is in the right place, but he has flaws and makes mistakes and suffers tragedy.
I think that's what Superman lacks for people these days - flaws, to make us identify with him more. It's why the movie wasn't as big a hit as they hoped.

Howard_Jones
When it comes to the Superman/Spidey debate, ask someone who isn't a comic fan to name a villain of Superman that isn't Lex Luthor, and they draw a blank. Most casual folk who know of Spider-Man would know Green Goblin and Doc Ock.

long pig
I will explain this in as much detail as I possibly can:

No.

The End.

Why? Thor is sort of...well..an ******* prick with a bad temper and he speaks really bad English. He's a magic based character, and they never do well and he's not very smart.

Nothing about that character is a "Good for the whole family" character.

DDurand
Superman IS popular. John Doe alway know Superman, and a lot of people that don't read comics and don't even know what is DC or Marvel like Superman, even dream to be like him.

Superman IS popular around the world.

xmarksthespot
Short answer: no.

N.B. Superman is well known, that doesn't imply that he's popular. Saddam Hussein is well known too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.