Ok this has been bothering me for a while, and i gotta say it

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sailorleo
feel free to hate me if you want....

When did POTC turn into the Jack Sparrow and Liz Swann: The love story?

i mean, come on, there's a whole lot more to the movies than this...for one thing, there's pirates!!!! and historical stuff action adventure! kick ass fighting sequences a whole lot of great stuff besides jack and liz shipping

all this i hate POTC crap now because liz might not end up with jack is really getting tiresome.....

oh and IBD43, this last bit's for you.....POTC also has Johnny Depp, and once upon a time that was enough for a moive

i digress seriously guys, there's more to the movie than most people give credit for, and if this offends people im sorry, it's just been buggin me forever and was part of the reason why i stopped coming here so much

and no, im not a will/liz shipper....im a J/W shipper..:P

CaptainJacksLuv
I couldnt agree lesssmile

kiwibird
I see wot you meansmile But not everyone here is obsessed with da J/E...

ladyofthesilent
Well, I have to admit I haven't been a PotC-fan before DMC came out. I remember that I watched CotBP in cinemas and was somewhat disappointed by the story as a whole. Johnny Depp was, of course, fantastic, but he could have done the whole Jack Sparrow-thing alone on stage and it would have been fine with me. I was pretty bored by the W/E romance and being someone who values a good story over special effects, I was under the impression that they could have done better, especially with actors like JD and GR. (OB and KK have improved a lot in DMC, but in CotBP, they were just out of place, especially set next to much more experienced actors ...)

Anyway, I remember that I read Jack/Will fanfiction for some weeks, then got bored and forgot about the whole movie until I found that they had done a sequel. To be honest, I didn't expect too much of it, but I went to watch it and obviously, I don't regret it. I LOVED the movie, and I have to admit it was mostly because of the J/E-storyline (and maybe the DJ-plot). Of course, there were loads of funny and entertaining scenes, but actually nothing we haven't seen before; a lot of jokes have been "borrowed" from the old adventure game Monkey Island (where I did find them a lot funnier), and though I liked Tia Dalma and Beckett as side characters, I would never have gone to see the movie a second time, just because of their performance.

I really love Johnny Depp as an actor, and I absolutely adore "his" Jack Sparrow, but he has done some movies which, as a whole, are far more appealing to me than PotC (From Hell, Edward Scissorhands, The Libertine, etc.)

What makes PotC-DMC so special to me is, indeed, the J/E romance, because it made the movie really unique. It is so different from anything we've seen on screen for a very long time
and I actually like the idea of a woman exchanging her social standing and cozy romance with a decent guy for freedom, adventure and passion. That's not to say that this is what will happen in AWE, but DMC gave me the idea and now I really enjoy the fanfiction, the fans and the fandom as a whole.

LovelyOne
because we are girls..we mainly talk about the romance..I'm also not convinced that its gonna continue into AWE..so we may as well milk DMC for all its worth (which is what T&T appear to have done)*ouch!*

I did like PotC1..but its only the J/E aspect of DMC that got me hooked..to me its the most interesting thing about it.

apart from Jack Sparrow of course..I liked PotC 1 because of the secial effects and jack Sparow..not the dry as fook romance

Its mainly a female audience...and most of the female audience are loving J/E..yet T&T appear to have gone the complete opposite with AWE..I cant believe they are going back to the least popular romance, the one no one actually cared about in movie 1 instead of the more popular one..thats why I'm suspicious of all these rumors about the W/E lovestory of AWE..

Oh sorry lol I went off on one again

but just talking about the special effects is boring..its more of a boyish thing..

willofthewisp
I don't know if I would say it's a mainly female audience. One of the great things about POTC is that it appeals to all ages, sexes, and types of people. And it's not just that we girls can't get enough Johnny, although that's a big reason.

When I first saw it, sailor, like I've said before, I liked that they didn't put Liz and Jack together. I liked that they could have a realistic relationship that wouldn't result in every woman being taken in by the Jack Sparrow legened. I thought the story, action, and characters were by far superior to most other action movies I'd seen.
I think the reason we talk about the romance in DMC so much is that the writers have left us hanging and opened doors we didn't think they would open. I didn't think they would try to touch a love triangle, so now it's a topic worth mentioning. We're all obsessed, though, so you're right that we talk about it too much, lol. I just can't help myself.

LovelyOne
I'm gonna be honest..I was dead bored until Jack was on the screen..or J/E was on the screen...and the last part on the isle with the monsters and the kiss..It was the kiss that actually drew me in to joining forums to talk about PotC though. I saw it on youtube and that was it I was hooked..I never spoke about the first one on forums..

the rest i was kinda thinking "this is crap compared to the first" because it was similar and it wasnt doing anything really new..

IMO its is a mostly female/children based audience..there are like 1 or 2 males who join here to talk about it comapered to the 27 females or what not..

There are hardly any males on KttC or any forum for PoC I go to,..there were hardly any at the cinema showings I went to..it is a womens film..my bro's mate was complaining because his GF forced him to watch both at the cinema laughing out loud

katelovespirate
giggle.... we cant help ourselves. nicely put, Willofthewisp.

its like testimony central in here. how dmc changed our view of disney and pirates forever. lol.

DMC is honestly my favorite movie of all time, beating out long time favorites Gladiator, LOTR, and the Jane Austen films. I never expected to love it so much. And the reasons I love it arent all about J/L actually...

it was a story of freedom and adventure--- and hilarious, gorgeous swashbuckling pirates swinging in giant cages or fighting on giant wheels or find themselves in ridiculous circumstances in which they have to be brave and clever but also funny--- whats not to love?! These movies are extremely escapist--- you get caught up in this world and its a grand old time! Davy Jones, while the CG was incredible, didnt overly impress me as a villian until his final line in the film. Beckett just made me laugh cause i kept thinking mr. collins.

but other than that, i felt all the characters had grown and the story came together in such a way as made it feel very complete, very compelling to me as an audience member. i identified with so much of it. i have a very goofy sense of humor so the fact that they recycled all the jokes from 1 (which i loved because they were corny) made me very happy. and they balanced it with shocking moments like Will getting lashed by his father (oh my gosh--- awful but genius)... and then Elizabeth and Captain Jack?! It was just the icing on the cake------ the pint of rum in the pina colada. it was an incredibly sensual film with the costumes, the settings, the situations--- it only made sense to bring that into the character's interactions.

So I think I get caught up in J/L mainly because it DID round out the film for me, it pushed me from really enjoying the film to becoming a somewhat rabid fan. wink but as i've said before, i dont necessarily think J/L have to END together in any happily ever after way in order for the trilogy to remain brilliant. In some ways, its enough to me that they took the risk of allowing Jack and Elizabeth to explore their chemistry. does that make sense?

all that aside, SailorLeo, I would love if you want to start threads that have nothing to do with J/L (and also arent entitled will is hot or anything cause we've had plenty of those) so we can analyze different aspects of the film! smile

crazychic
well ya i agree and everybody has a different opinion on this stuff people just see what they want to see wink

tee_pirategirl
SailorLeo I have to admit that it's been bugging me too..I'm not judging anyone but I feel like there are sooooo many great things about the movie and not just JE..JE was ofcourse my favorite part of the movie (except for Johnny ofcourse) but it was still great.

the main reason why I liked it was that it wasn't a rippoff from the first film...it wasn't just the same thing (the storyline I mean not the jokes and stuff) and it was clever how they continued the same thing and it was intresting how the compass thing was sooo well thought out from the first film.

I'm obssesed with JE and JE is "WHAT GOT ME HOOKED UP" but after I got hooked I saw the other reasons to love POTC and now -if god forbid- they DO take away JE I WILL be disappointed beyond belief...in an unimagineable way...JE has become my life..but I'll still love the movie.

so ..yeah thnx for bringing this up cause I feel the same and I DO think that ppl from all ages went to see the movie cause if was good and not just because JE -though it DID play a huge part of it we all know "one billion nuff said" right?! big grin-but even though we won't get JE doesn't mean I'll stop loving them, thinking of them as a couple and wanting them to be together.

Swann&Sparrow
I wouldn't say POTC is all J/E. I'd never say that, I love the humour and the adventure with a hint of pure swoon-worthy pirate wit! There's alot that I love about DMC, I honestly never liked CotBP. Honestly, from my heart, I hated it.

The sappy ending just made me choke on my tears...OF RAGE. How could they make the pirate go back to a filthy, whore ridden piece of sea cucumber. I hated that ending and it made me hate the whole movie. It could've been better, and DMC made me love it.

I loved the graphics and the mood/settings in DMC. DJ really got me hooked, but I would've done the same thing (hate POTC) if it ended with EW. Honestly, I look for adventure and action, but romance is what makes it worth it in the end. Have you ever seen an action movie without some sort of romance?

I think I love DMC because of the character develoupment. I have to dissagree with the feminist thing. I'm a strong supporter of womens rights. I don't appriciate you gals coming in here and saying, "Well, we're girls so...yeah."

That's dispicable. Women are not just sponges that soak up romance and crap, they need more than that too. Okay.

I think it's awful of you to say that Pirates is great because of the humour and all that, the special stuff and Johnny doing the pirate outfit. That's so shallow. I don't like romance and that alone, the humour is great. But with all the talk of character development, how can you go back and say CotBP was fun cause of the jokes?

It was awful, IMO. The jokes was a sad coverup for a lame 'fairy tale' love story that didn't even make good money. For shame!

I love POTC purly because of the beauty that DMC put into it. Not because of the romance, but because you can see the TRUE characters come out in this sequal, unlike CotBP.

That's all I have to say.

J/E just made me addicted. Without it...I'd just say POTC was a good trilogy.

Chiki Mina
We are girls, its a gift and a curse. Of course we love the movie bc its one hell of a movie no doubt. Best writers, actors, director, and best music. NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. But oh well, your opinion didnt made us cut our veins lol its ok to on what you are trying to say. But oh well, we are not obsessed, we are just J/L supporters which is different.

If we saw DMC is because we love pirates, we had no idea it was gonna turn out into a possible romance between Jack and Elizabeth. We saw because we all have a little pirate inside of us. smile

Red Two
For Me the only thing that matters is The Pirates,The FIghts and so on.Love Story sorry not for me

Chiki Mina
Originally posted by Red Two
For Me the only thing that matters is The Pirates,The FIghts and so on.Love Story sorry not for me

well duh! you're a dude lol. Thats understandable. apart from the romance I love the movie bc the action is great and the comedy.

Red Two
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
well duh! you're a dude lol.
I knew somebody woud say someting like that

Chiki Mina
lol^

Swann&Sparrow
See that's what I'm saying. This thread is way to sexist. Just cause he's a dude he's got to like the special effects and the killing. I know sometimes this is true, but in this case I know a lot of girls (me included) that love the special effects and when the Kraken just swallowed the merchant ship.

I love battles, and guys love romance too. Some do at least, not all, but some. I don't appreciate the sexism here...

And I'm sorry if I was alittle too rude, but I guess I had to say it. I don't wanna keep it inside like salior and have to start a whole thread about it. So I just said how I felt.

Sexism is not right.

Chiki Mina
Wel...I dont sense sexism in here...so dont worry about it..I guess.

SarahB
mm..

tee_pirategirl
I don't see sexism either..I mean yeah I get what your saying and it's a great thing that your saying it but we never said "a girl can't like the battle scenes or a boy can't love the romance" we are just saying that we are girls and we love romance and we're proud of it..and ofcourse I loved the CGI affects..specially in COTBP with the pirates..and the Kraken was really exciting..and the music...

but we're still free to say we loved romance BECAUSE we are girls

SarahB
....yh

SarahB
but did any boyz used 2 write on here'? like ages ago? random ques

LovelyOne
the only reason I'm hating on the way the movie is, is because they appear to be using jack Sparrow, my favorite character as a mere bump in the road so that the boring as ass W/E relationship can work out and mature on screen...why use JACK?? Why throw this man's emotions into the mix?? it just really pisses me off..Jack deserves to be in love and be loved back for once in his life...Jack deserves a decent happy ending to leave us all happy for him..

A happy Will Turner ending is not enough to make the audience leave on a high because no one really gives a crap about his character..

Its obvious he's not really happy being on his own and having nothing in his life but material things and whores..

tee_pirategirl
yeah actually..they did

SarahB
oh kl, thought so.... dno y they left........

SarahB

tee_pirategirl
Originally posted by LovelyOne
the only reason I'm hating on the way the movie is, is because they appear to be using jack Sparrow, my favorite character as a mere bump in the road so that the boring as ass W/E relationship can work out and mature on screen...why use JACK?? Why throw this man's emotions into the mix?? it just really pisses me off..Jack deserves to be in love and be loved back for once in his life...Jack deserves a decent happy ending to leave us all happy for him..

A happy Will Turner ending is not enough to make the audience leave on a high because no one really gives a crap about his character..

Its obvious he's not really happy being on his own and having nothing in his life but material things and whores..

now THAT I agree with..but when I start hating it I remember all the reasons why I love it and i convince myself there be no use hating it before seeing it...May 25 seems so far away..*runs off to listen to the song "Far Away"*

tee_pirategirl
Originally posted by SarahB
oh kl, thought so.... dunno y they left........
Dunno..really..they didn't come here evry day like we do..VISITED sometimes is more like it..don't even remember their user names but I'm pretty sure there were guys here..now only one left is RedTwo...thnx for staying by the way

Red Two
Im saying that people here shoud be ashamed that they like romance.im just saying that well i dont like it at such a levev.a good storie for the movie now that a diferent thing

LovelyOne
you kidding me?? a romace is usually what makes a film sell the most..you tell me one good and really popular movie that doesn't have a love story in it?

Titanic also got to 1 billion because it has a powerful love story..LotR RotK got to 1 billion too it had a love story and it also is a huge block buster epic with a good story..DMC is kinda a mixture of both IMO

Red Two
yes well its hard to find such a movie(If its actualy possible)

LovelyOne
alothough I have to admit..I never used to like love stories in movies but this one caught me out lol..its so different and interesting..W/E never captured me because it was too typical but J/E really has the potential to be the most interesting romance to emerge on screen in a long time..but sadly..I think they are going back to boring..they are trying to make W/E more interesting but its not gonna work..not after what we saw with DMC IMO.

Red Two
Well then people here wil dissapointed about the love story(Exept Me)

Chiki Mina
well everyone ppl are entitled to their opinions. Red Two likes the movie bc of the action thats great. If he does like romance then fine.(just setting and example im not saying you do RT) But he if doesnt then whatever. Not everyone has to like romance. Me Im very picky when it comes to romance, really depends on the actors and chemistry. I saw pirates one bc I thought it was awesome, never actually thought about romance.

Point is there is no sexism here. Everybody has their reasons to like POTC. Nobody is the same.

willofthewisp
Romance is a tricky thing, for me. Normally, I'm not a big fan of it. I don't watch a lot of chick flicks, and the love stories I like best (Han and Leia, Scarlett and Rhett, Jack and Liz, etc) usually stem from something larger going on at the forefront. The romance doesn't seem forced or contrived in any way. I most certainly did not see Han and Leia becoming a couple when I saw the first Star Wars movie, and I certainly didn't see any possibility with Jack and Liz, although I thought they had a unique relationship. It makes the romance more realistic when it's not the only story out there. There is so much going on in POTC that the amount of romance in it is just the right amount.
I think it's the blend of romance, action, other kinds of character development, and just overall story that make something successful. I don't like straight-up romances, but I lilke romance IN things.

evilm0nki3
I really don't care if they end up together or not...

sailorleo
yeah...so what have we learned not to pull a Sailor *bows head in shame* i just think that the other stuff that went in this movie deserves equally air time....that's all...

willofthewisp
So do I, but it's hard to avoid talking about it sometimes. I'll try harder, for one.

LovelyOne
Willlo I agree with you.

The only 2 romances I have ever really loved are Buffy and Spike...and Jack and Liz,,,because the male in the situation is so interesting and its not your typical love story if you know what I mean.

I remember watching move 1..I didnt think they could get together in movie 1 but I did see the connection and the potentail for it to develop between them ..some of the shots are really suggestive IMO so is the chemistry between them even in that movie and some of the scenes suggest these twowill have a large impact on eachother's lives..

LovelyOne
Originally posted by sailorleo
yeah...so what have we learned not to pull a Sailor *bows head in shame* i just think that the other stuff that went in this movie deserves equally air time....that's all...

start a thread then lets see how it goes.

lovethemtigers
I have to agree with Lovely, Kate and others.....I loved DMC....it's simply my most favorite movie ever....because of jack and liz...because there is nothing more exciting (from a female's perspective) than seeing a sexy, rougish, womanizing man fall in love.....because we all secretly dream of that ourselves...we put ourselves in Liz' place...and you can't help it......Johnny Depp is what makes this happen...he's the main reason...if it were any other actor...I probably would care less aobut what happens....but I'll admit...I am a fan fanatic of Johnny Depp...and I love seeing him in a romanctic role.....and I loved watching his moments with Liz...that's why I went to see the movie over and over...and that's what I watched on youtube...I enjoyed the other moments in the movie....to an extent...the cannibal island scene and the wheel fight were a littel over exagerrated and over the top...I loved when they were in Tortuga and Norrie shows up and joins the crew....and I loved when Jack trades Will to Davy...but the rest (i.e., Will on the Dutchman) i thought was boring.....

So, I'll admit it...without Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow...I wouldn't even be watching this movie..cuz he made Jack Sparrow who he is..and that's why I'm intrigued with the romantic aspect between him and liz...along with all the clues and underlying meanings that point to them as being destiny (even if Ted and TErry who wrote the dang clues and crap into the script, don't agree)....

katelovespirate
Sailorleo, I miss you! remember the days of writing the fanfics, or swooning about norrington? you've been MIA lately. sad

sailorleo
yeah, everyone's been so downtrodden about the J/L might not be hapening thing, it threw off my groove....and most days i feel like the strand of hair that's growing in the opposite direction...

katelovespirate
hahaha oh im sorry! we will try and cheer up. there's so many fun things to talk about. i mean, heck, whether or not they "End Up" together is pretty irrelevent in my book, considering we know they both have some kind of deep feelings and attraction for each other, and that's not just going to go away, so i can always imagine them hooking up later.

but anyways, i hope there's other stuff for us to talk about too. smile

calypso
I hope everyone of you in the US had a great Thanksgiving. I gave thanks for each of you on this site and for listening to me now and again.
If you don't live in the US...I'm sorry, but I hope you had a great week-end and did something really exciting.

Now, everyone we are going to have to find something to do with our time til AWE comes out. Let's don't get too down because it may not end the way you want it to. We all bought a ticket and enjoyed the ride except for maybe Sailor.

Go see Deja Vu with Denzel Washington and I guarantee you that you will not think about J/L, W/E, N/E, POTC I, II, III, COTBP, DMC, AWE or anything remotely connected to pirates. It is a Jerry Bruckheimer movie.

sailorleo
i enjoyed potc...? *is confused*

Chiki Mina
People have been down lately bc most of the times they post threads that cause chaos like the ones I like will and etc. Then most post are about rumors that everyone freaks out then turns out to be fake. *sigh* its really tiring if you ask me..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.