Superman... The Donner cut (spoiler)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

xkalybr
Saw a special screening. I enjoyed it a lot, but I can imagine just how really amazing it would have been if Donner had the time, actors and money to shoot it like he wanted back in the late 70's and early 80's. Donner was forced to do this version based on the script only and the new scenes he only had.

The wrong thing to do is to compare Lester's overplayed version with Donner's. It's not fair to Donner. Watch Donner's version with a new perspective and think to yourselves, "if only he had been allowed to finish this version per his vision."

The new Brando scenes were so cool to see as was the opening Daily Planet scene. The opening scene was especially good cause it was originally about 80 to 90 percent finished. Clark getting his powers back was definitely more dramatic and there was more at stake. It was a great scene and awesome to see. If only Donner had time to have shot more coverage to let the scene run even smoother, then it would have been so perfect.

Editor Michael Thau did a Q&A afterwards and was very detailed about Donner's decisions and opinions. The new Superman II was based on the written script and what they had already shot. Mr. Thau said that Donner would have done an entirely different ending if he was allowed to finish. Remember in the script, in Superman I, Lois was supposed to die and the 3 villains escape. A cliff hanger. At the last second, it was decided that Superman turns the world around and we have the great ending we do. Donner is forced to do the same ending again in the new film cause that is all he had to work with.

The epic fight scene vs the 3 villains would have been more vicious, with the city and planet utterly destroyed. Fire and smoke covering the planet. What a visual.

Donner is a true visionary. I am grateful for his dedication and allowing us to glimpse what could have been. It still is a film very much worth seeing and owning on DVD.

redcaped
understood

redcaped
This is a much better version and it coincides to my idea for the next Superman Returns sequel.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by redcaped
This is a much better version and it coincides to my idea for the next Superman Returns sequel.

Too bad no one cares what "your idea" for the next Superman movie is.

redcaped
I didn't say you care.

Super Guy
Redcaped, I'm not sure why anyone would particularly care about your little wet dreams about Zod being resurrected and fighting Superman... and it would kinda suck if either Lois died or the Earth was destroyed. Its not exactly a wonderful Superman film if its so macabre IMO... rather obsessive really. And S2 was better than the original, so stick that in your bag and snort it! smokin'

brandofan
Originally posted by xkalybr The epic fight scene vs the 3 villains would have been more vicious, with the city and planet utterly destroyed. Fire and smoke covering the planet. What a visual.

but why the did not show the other incredible scene? where the villains are around the world, to rule it? i think if Mr Thau used the CGI to recreate jor el scenes he can also use CGI to show villains around the world? they rule entire planet ... not just the washington and Houston scale! please try do it in CGI.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.