Barbossa and the whores

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

katelovespirate
Jack and Liz! just kidding. i know people have been getting a bit annoyed about our obsessing, so i thought it was time for a new topic.

Barbossa is definately one of the coolest characters ever written or performed--- he's slimey, creepy, smart, dangerous, witty, and confusing. He's your typical pirate villian, and yet so much more, as he now has the task of joining our heroes to rescue Jack.

So here's a question I've had for ages.

According to all bits of history we know about Jack from Monkey Island and other info, he and Barbossa were in league all the way back when Jack was working for Beckett, and when Jack regained the Pearl from Davy Jones, Barbossa was already his first mate. they had a few years of adventure before they went after the treasure of isle de meurta... SO...

Why the falling out?! What made Barbossa start hating Jack? We know the reason Jack hates Barbossa is cause of the mutiny, but what reason did Barbossa ever have to hate Jack or commit mutiny against him?

Because even when Barbossa meets up with Jack again in 1, he seems like he (and the whole crew for that matter) really hates Jack strongly. Why?

tee_pirategirl
good point..I dunno bout the crew I just feel that they didn't need "just adventure" like jack wanted..they wanted gold and I don't think theres a back story as to why they hated him..I think Barbossa STARTED the whole "lets hate jack" thing..

WHY? I'd like to know too...maybe he just wanted the power...

he never wanted jack dead...he never underestimated him...if he wanted him gone he's have killed him..but NO he MAROONED him instead

ladyofthesilent
I don't know about Barbossa working for Beckett as well ... where did you get that piece of information from? The Bootstrap action figure says on its back that Bootstrap was on the Wicked Wench as well, so we can assume that he and Jack already worked together BEFORE they became pirates, but I don't think the same is true for Barbossa.

Here's what I think: Jack (possibly along with Bill) appeared in Tortuga one day, having been branded a pirate by Beckett but without any real pirating experience. Still, he had a ship, the compass and obviously quite some sailing skills. Nevertheless, he needed advice and from what we know (the mutiny and all) he was still pretty naive when he began his career in piracy.

Now that's where I think Barbossa comes in: He may have lost his own ship and subsequently offered Jack to help him if he was taken into the crew as first mate. At first, Jack was probably fairly easy to control and I wouldn't be surprised if Barbossa was in charge of most raids and treasure hunts. Jack obviously trusted Barbossa and may even have regarded him as a friend, at least this would explain why he gave away the coordinates of the Isla de la Muerta.

Still, Jack has never been a violent or cruel person, he cares about people's lives and his perception of piracy (which, in Jack's case, is more some sort of rebellious, Indiana Jones-like treasure hunting) does differ quite strongly from Barbossa's. So I think Barbossa waited for the opportune moment to get rid of Jack - and it arrived when he got the coordinates and left Jack on the island.

But contrary to Jack, I don't believe Barbossa has ever been an honest person who ended up a pirate because he was forced; he enjoys piracy - REAL piracy (raping, killing, burning down cities) - far too much!

evilm0nki3
he is a great actor and i really liked him in pirates 1. im glad he's back!!!

a-k-a-amber
u know one of the rumors is that he dies for Jack so do yall think thats true?

evilm0nki3
yeah didnt johnny say that?

a-k-a-amber
i think so im going to try wikipedia i think thats wher i found it...

a-k-a-amber
this is what i found but the deal bout him dying aint there anymore

Little is known about Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End, especially Barbossa's role, but based on his reappearance in the last film, it can be assumed that he will team up with Elizabeth Swann, Will Turner and the crew of the Black Pearl to rescue Jack Sparrow. In a brief segment of footage shown at 2006 Comic-Con, there was a shot of Barbossa and Sparrow dueling in the midst of a large-scale ship battle. Johnny Depp revealed that Barbossa gave his life up for Sparrow when the Kraken attacks, and that they're on another ship (not the Black Pearl).

Background
Little is known about Barbossa before he joins the Black Pearl. His name indicates a possible Portuguese and/or Spanish ancestry though he speaks with a West Country accent.

Barbossa has a strange passion for apples which appear throughout the film. He offers one to Elizabeth and later tells her that when the curse is lifted he wants to eat a whole bushel of them. There are also apples on the table in his cabin, and when he dies at the end, an apple rolls from his hand. His cameo appearance in Dead Man's Chest also shows him with his favorite fruit. This representation of the apple could have a number of symbolic meanings: the deadly fruit that Eve partook from a snake, or the devil's apple (referenced in a comment in the film, "A man so evil that Hell itself spat him back out"wink. Or perhaps from Disney itself with the infamous apple from their cartoon classic, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in which the evil queen attempted to kill Snow White with a poisoned apple. Indeed, when Elizabeth is offered an apple, she mistakenly believes it's poisoned. Most obviously it is a Vanitas style reference, particularly apt for a character incapable of dying. Apart from symbolism, it may be that one of Barbossa's greatest pleasures is apples and years of being unable to feel, smell, or taste has turned a pleasure into a constant craving.

According to the audio commentary from the first Pirates of the Caribbean DVD featuring the scriptwriters, Barbossa and Norrington are equally skilled with a sword. They tie as second-best, after Will Turner. (This was evidenced in the first film as the crew were hesitant to attack Barbossa, even all at once.) Geoffrey Rush comments that Barbossa supposedly used a sword from a very young age, possibly as early as 13.

Spoilers end here.
As for Barbossa's appearance, it would appear, as it was revealed in the essential guide to "Pirates of the Caribbean" that Barbossa is very interested with his appearance, as his clothing shows. He has vanity rings on his fingers, and the feathers on his hat were revealed in the guide to be blue ostrich feathers.

okay i g2g ttyl!

katelovespirate
Wow Barbossa is pretty incredible. i love him. seriously. what a great character.

i cant really see him giving up his life for Jack--- that would be totally inconsistent with his character, IMO, and it would be depressing... he's already died once, i dont want that to happen again.

i can imagine him having a problem with Jack's secret morality--- maybe Jack makes him feel guilty sometimes?

ladyofthesilent
Originally posted by a-k-a-amber
Johnny Depp revealed that Barbossa gave his life up for Sparrow when the Kraken attacks, and that they're on another ship (not the Black Pearl).

I think this is pretty unlikely, considering the fact that in the leaked script, the dead body of the Kraken is found within the first half of the movie. Now I know that the final draft is said to be a lot different, still, I don't think they'll reanimate the Kraken.

(And btw, Barbossa is obviously with them when they call on the Bretheren and fight against the Royal Navy, so I doubt he'll die because of the Kraken. Furthermore, he already died once, so maybe they won't have him die again ...)

willofthewisp
good point..I dunno bout the crew I just feel that they didn't need "just adventure" like jack wanted..they wanted gold and I don't think theres a back story as to why they hated him..I think Barbossa STARTED the "whole "lets hate jack" thing..

WHY? I'd like to know too...maybe he just wanted the power...

he never wanted jack dead...he never underestimated him...if he wanted him gone he's have killed him..but NO he MAROONED him instead"

Leaving someone on an island with no fresh water, no food, and no method of leaving is leaving someone to die, and it's much slower and painful than simply being shot. If Jack didn't die from heat stroke, he would have died from combined dehydration and starvation if he didn't put that bullet in his head first.

So, Kate, are you suggesting one of the whores, or both, were at one time Barbossa's galpal and Jack stole her? That's very interesting, and I take it that's what you mean from the subject line.

I don't know. I always saw Barbossa as using Jack as a means to an end, like maybe Jack had a ship and Barbossa didn't and he was fine being first mate until he saw what a "pansy" Jack was as captain, not killing and raping anyone.

katelovespirate
hahaha i wondered whether anyone would put that together-- about the whores i mean.

i agree with what you said about barbossa. and i dont actually think the whore bit is very likely, i just thought it would be funny to see... Barbossa losing the love of his life (who is a strumpet or, in disney terms, mail-order bride) in tortuga to witty Jack who has no real intentions toward the girl. or perhaps Barbossa just resents Jack's way with the women.

there was a line in the original version of 1 which i found very telling about Barbossa's character, where he warns Jack to guard himself around Elizabeth or he'll end up falling in love with her.

willofthewisp
Even more telling is a deleted scene where Liz asks Barbossa about the previous owner of the dress she's wearing and he just side steps the issue. Hmm.

katelovespirate
poor barbossa... i bet he has a tragic history. Willo, why dont you fanfic a scene in which Barbossa tells Jack or Liz his tragic love story or something? hahaha

calypso
I am so glad to hear someone likes Hector as much as I do. He is the exact opposite of Jack. I am sorry I have been remiss in doing the Barbossa Diaries. I will work at getting some more posted.

smile Sorry I wondered off topic, but ya'll made me feel good....lol

willofthewisp
Hmm, I would have to think of Barbossa for a long time. I don't feel I know him as well as I do Jack or the others, which ha ha, might prove I don't know any of them at all.

Let's invent a backstory and then we could write a scene.

PirateDiva
I think it was Greed!!! He committed MUNITY on JACK because of GREED....Money makes everyone crazy!!!

willofthewisp
Yes, greed and power. I think captains of ships got the majority of whatever treasure they found or plunder they stole, so Jack got a huge cut from that and I could see how someone like Barbossa would think he wasn't getting his fair share.

When did Gibbs become a pirate? He wasn't on the Pearl when Barbossa mutinied against Jack, but somehow Gibbs knows Jack fairly well. When did all that happen?

katelovespirate
probably when drunken Jack was mourning the loss of the pearl in tortuga with the girls... lol

they could totally make a sit com about those days

a-k-a-amber
okay heres what i think, jack and barbosa were the best of friends and scarlet or giselle was his love..Jack stole their "hearts" (if thats what you call it...) barbosa got mad (he had started to get mad when he realized Jack was getting all the fame from captaining the Black Pearl and First Mate Barbosa wasn't) so he put an end to it and mutinieed him later he realised that he was his best friend and gave his life for him... (if the rumors true)

and Mr.Gibbs use to be an officer right? so what i think is he was there when Beckett branded him a pirate and didn't agree or something and decided to join Jack..

at least thats my opinion

katelovespirate
awe... Jack and Barbie, best friends forever... giggle. smile i like it

willofthewisp
It would be so cool if Gibbs knew Jack during the time he worked for Beckett, went their separate ways for a time, and then teamed up together in Tortuga. It seems like if Jack got ousted for doing something really noble, Gibbs would go along with it and rebel against the rest. He's pretty loyal to Jack except in COTBP when he told Liz they already got the Pearl so there was no need to go back for him.

Everyone's entitled to a moment of weakness.

ladyofthesilent
Gibbs obviously doesn't know about Jack's past before Jack appeared in Tortuga - I think he says as much in the first movie. He wasn't on the ship during the mutiny, but Jack apparently didn't make a secret out of the fact that he was left to die by Barbossa and wanted revenge, so I guess quite a lot of people knew what happened (besides, TnT stated that Jack wants people to believe he went mad during his stay on the island, so I guess he spread the story around himself).

Gibbs' story has been retold by either Ted or Terry at wordplayer. Unfortunately, I didn't save the exact quote, but (as we already know) Gibbs started out in the Royal Navy until he was fired because of a certain fondness for the bottle. He went to Tortuga and that's where he met Jack. There isn't more to his story than that and I think the important people who know about Jack's REAL past are Bootstrap Bill (because Bill apparently WAS on the Wicked Wench) and possibly Barbossa.

About Barbossa and the whores: I don't think Scarlett and Giselle are really important to the story, sorry ... ;-)

savvysparrow
Here's a logistical question related to indirectly Barbossa. How was it that Elizabeth kept the medallion for all those years and wasn't cursed? Jack only had it for a short amount of time and he became cursed. Is it possible that the soul's purity has something to do with who it is that becomes cursed, and who doesn't?

ladyofthesilent
No, you had to take the medallion directly out of the chest to become cursed. Elizabeth got it from Will, she never got into contact with anything on the Isla de la Muerta.

savvysparrow
Just testing to see if you were awake wink Carry on!

tee_pirategirl
I really agree wiff what willow said..about Jack being a "pansy" as a captain..well he's not really a pansy but in terms of being a "pirate captain" he is....

so maybe he thought that the crew will mutiny ANYWAYS so it best be him who leads it so he can at least get some profit from it and become captain..and he already hated jack for some reason and he knew if he sides with jack the crew will just go against him as well

Chiki Mina
Now that we are talking about Barbossa...I wonder what his heritage is.

His name is Hector Barbossa, its spanish-to me and Iam spanish. So I wonder what is his origin or heritage.

willofthewisp
The name is definitely Spanish in origin, but I would say just from choosing Geoffrey Rush that he has some Irish/British/Scot in him too.

Chiki Mina
You are right...but whats bothering me is why the spanish name.

CaptinJackLover
his name is hector?! ..ya Mina i agree,...that is kinda odd..

Ericadawn
Well, Hector is actually a fanon creation that Ted and Terry have agreed to make canon and Barbossa is probably more of a play off the Greek word barbaros which later lead to Barbarian and barbarous although there was also the Turkish pirate Barbarossa.

Chiki Mina
Hector Barbossa....that just oooof. Maybe he made up that name. I dunno.

willofthewisp
"Well, Hector is actually a fanon creation that Ted and Terry have agreed to make canon and Barbossa is probably more of a play off the Greek word barbaros which later lead to Barbarian and barbarous although there was also the Turkish pirate Barbarossa."----ericadawn

Really? Going Greek, Hector was a major player in the Trojan War, although nothing like the Barbossa we all know and love. That's pretty cool.

a-k-a-amber
i cannot believe this thread died! i like barbosa

i want your opinions do u think Jack and barbosa used to be friends? like Jack and Gibbs?

katelovespirate
i wouldnt say friends, probably more like colleagues who respected each other (until the mutiny).

i would reckon barbossa (along with many of the pirates) were half-european, half-carib. lots of european settlers married native islanders once they got down to the carib. Jack is apparantly half-indian or something, right? his dad was english and his mom was indian, and his dad was part of the british nobility that turned India into a colony? i thought i remembered something like that.

a-k-a-amber
i heard his dad was a nobleman NOT a pirate but, like Jack, he turned to piracy

willofthewisp
I'm not sure if they necessarily respected each other so much as saw each other as a means to an end. Jack needed a first mate and here was a decent sailor and natural leader and Barbossa probably planned on eventually taking a ship and might have heard Jack's reputation and thought he could mooch off that. So by the time he was captain, people would already know him, see? Do you think that's possible?

a-k-a-amber
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I'm not sure if they necessarily respected each other so much as saw each other as a means to an end. Jack needed a first mate and here was a decent sailor and natural leader and Barbossa probably planned on eventually taking a ship and might have heard Jack's reputation and thought he could mooch off that. So by the time he was captain, people would already know him, see? Do you think that's possible?

you mean he would be known as a tremendous pirate and first mate and somehow the captain of the ship he sails on dissapears and naturally he becomes captain? b/c if thats what your sayin' iu agree and think its possible

I was wondering b/c i was trying to think about the people who have berayed him one is barbosa and i was thinkin' if it would have effected him like lizzies betrayal will b/c he trusted lizzie a lot. im just wondering if he put that much trust in barbosa

i mean he would have to to tell him the coordinates of Isla de Muerta. Right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.