Best Free MMO?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Paradise
Well, I've tried getting into AdventureQuest and Runescape respectively, but AQ sucks and Runescape needs the membership to be worth playing. What would you recommend for someone who wants to coast through life without paying any money for anything?

Spartan005
Basically all MMORPGs these days cost money.... so you really don't have a choice. I'm a huge World of Warcraft fan... it costs $15 a month but if you play a lot then its definetely worth every penny.

Lana
There's quite a few MMOs that are free.

Two that come to mind are Silk Road and Maple Story.

I've not played either, though.

Frankly, I don't think MMOs are worth paying for as they simply aren't interesting enough to warrant the additional cost.

SaTsuJiN
silk road is ok.. it reminds me of a simplified Lineage 2... honestly considering its free.. its great.. if you can get past the "Engrish"....and of course the asian theme that permeates the game..

I havent played maple story so I have no idea about that

K73SK
the only MMO i actually thought was worth paying for , after trying the beta, was Phantasy Star Universe..

J-Beowulf
Never played a good one.

Paying monthly is acceptable as long as you play it a bit. Seriously though, $15 a month is a single trip to the movies worth, and you get unlimited time....

and no overpriced candy smile

§P0oONY
Knight Online is a half decent free MMO. It's got little extras if you're willing to pay something but I never have.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Lord Paradise
Well, I've tried getting into AdventureQuest and Runescape respectively, but AQ sucks and Runescape needs the membership to be worth playing. What would you recommend for someone who wants to coast through life without paying any money for anything?

Guild Wars has free online play but you still have to buy the game.

InnerRise
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Guild Wars has free online play but you still have to buy the game. no expression

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

forumcrew
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Guild Wars has free online play but you still have to buy the game.

it was a very good game, i dont think it has the staying power of a lot of other more standard MMO's though. But I had a good 6 months or so.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Lord Paradise
Well, I've tried getting into AdventureQuest and Runescape respectively, but AQ sucks and Runescape needs the membership to be worth playing. What would you recommend for someone who wants to coast through life without paying any money for anything? bump

AdventureQuest Worlds is pretty sweet but there are far better.

BackFire
Is Guild Wars 2 free these days? If so, it's probably that.

SWTOR is also not bad these days.

cdtm
What about LOTR Online? That's still free, right?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
What about LOTR Online? That's still free, right? Yeah.

So is DCUO and Vindictus.

BackFire
I tried TERA a few years ago, that was alright.

cdtm
That Heroes of the Storm is a moba, right?

Noticed it when downloading the two Starcrafts.

BackFire
Yes it is. I'd be wary of that one if you care about such a game having a competitive scene, Blizzard just announced that they are essentially ending all E-sport support for it, leaving a lot of the pros and teams to move on to other games. Game may not be very healthy right now.

cdtm
I know DOTA 2 used to be big.

But I hear League of Legends is the place to be now.

BackFire
I don't really follow the moba scene, but I as far as I know LoL is still number 1 by a pretty significant margin, but DOTA2 is still very popular.

Jmanghan
AdventureQuest 3D is pretty sweet right now, there's no buy-to-play, pay-to-win and there's BARELY "pay-to-access-certain-content". It has no real incentive but PVP is poppin rn.

Surtur
I remember a long time ago playing a game called Graal or Grail or something like that. It was like Zelda. I don't know if it is still around or still free.

cdtm
No such thing. All free games sneak in that paywall somewhere, and if you could grind for everything, it takes so damned long your time would have been better spent in a regular mmo.

No such thing as free. You can pay with time and a subpar experience, or you can spend on a sure thing at a reasonable cost.

Surtur
This was like 15 years ago though so...yeah it was a good game, like Zelda.

Jmanghan
No such thing. All free games sneak in that paywall somewhere, and if you could grind for everything, it takes so damned long your time would have been better spent in a regular mmo.

No such thing as free. You can pay with time and a subpar experience, or you can spend on a sure thing at a reasonable cost. AQ3D has abso-lutely no pay-to-win elements, you cant pay for better equipment, more money, etc.

AQ3D has buy-to-use memberships, one-time fee of $50 for Dragon Guardian, which lets you access the guardians tower, guardian-exclusive quests and COSMETIC equipment, on top of the (admittedly pretty trash) guardian class, which becomes moot once you unlock paladin.

There's premium currency called Dragon Crystal's that gets you COSMETIC equipment.

cdtm
Seems like a pretty mediocre game.

Jmanghan
Seems like a pretty mediocre game. It's still in beta, but the pvp is solid.

Stoic
Warframe is in my opinion one of the top 5 best MMO's that are currently played. Everything that you can buy on the marketplace can be farmed. The idea behind Warframe is to mod your warframe's and weapons as well as actively working to raise your mastery rank, which is needed in order to gain access to certain weapons.

Survival's are how you test how well you've modded your frames and your weapons. I call them 60 minute weapons, which I mod to be effective at killing enemy drones for 60 plus minutes. I mod for high crit chance, crit damage and high status, and finally for raw damage.

Overall, Warframe is an extremely well rounded shooter/hack n slash with RPG highlights.

Stoic
Black Desert is in my opinion pure shit. Stay away from this title. It needs work. Black Shit would've been a more appropriate title.

ArtificialGlory
Neverwinter or Path of Exile if you consider it an MMO.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Neverwinter or Path of Exile if you consider it an MMO. Neverwinter is a good choice. thumb up

BackFire
Is Neverwinter good now? I remember I tried it out when it first released some years ago and it was a pay2win shitshow. Combat was fun though.

cdtm
Originally posted by Stoic
Warframe is in my opinion one of the top 5 best MMO's that are currently played. Everything that you can buy on the marketplace can be farmed. The idea behind Warframe is to mod your warframe's and weapons as well as actively working to raise your mastery rank, which is needed in order to gain access to certain weapons.

Survival's are how you test how well you've modded your frames and your weapons. I call them 60 minute weapons, which I mod to be effective at killing enemy drones for 60 plus minutes. I mod for high crit chance, crit damage and high status, and finally for raw damage.

Overall, Warframe is an extremely well rounded shooter/hack n slash with RPG highlights.

You have to buy slots though, or you're limiting yourself.

NemeBro
Originally posted by BackFire
Is Neverwinter good now? I remember I tried it out when it first released some years ago and it was a pay2win shitshow. Combat was fun though. How was it pay2win?

BackFire
This was years ago, but I remember getting to a point where it became an unreasonable grind to progress in any way, and I also seem to remember basic things being hidden behind a paywall like inventory space.

It's nice to hear the game is better now, I should try it again. I really enjoyed the combat and the setting of the game.

Trocity
Currently playing SWTOR and enjoying it. Kinda wish I had of gotten into it when it was at its peak. The free 2 play portion is woefully lacking when you research just how much more access to stuff subbed players have, though. There's a lot of stuff restricted for f2p players. Luckily you can subscribe for 1 month, unlock all the DLCs and such, cancel the sub and become a "preferred player", which isn't as good as sub but better than f2p.

I couldn't get into Neverwinter for some reason. Warframe is good also. Gonna try out ESO soonish.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.