Who thinks that Clark can fly already?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jamaican
Who thinks that Clark can already fly?? (Don't read if you aren't up-to-date with Smallville)

I was having a discussion with a friend on another subject and while we were having it he said Clark knows how to fly. I said "Hold Up - he doesn't know HOW to fly yet", to which he said yes.

His reasoning is that in the 100th episode where he takes Lana to the Fortress, he flys up to a higher point with her in his hands. Before he said that, I always assumed he jumped. But it got me thinking.

Then of course the other side to it is that he always runs, if he knew how to fly, wouldn't he?? I would... Also in the last episode (I think it was the last one) when Martian Manhunter flys away, wouldn't he chase after him VIA flying??

Let me know your thoughts

Kal875
He know's he has fly'd before abut he doesnt know that He's capable of doing it, he makes up excuses like, "It was Kal-el" and "I woke up hovering"

But I kind of see why he doesnt try. How would you go about trying to fly?

Jamaican
The same way he's gone about controlling his other powers. I'd sit down and concentrate. I'm sure if he were to do that he could at least see that he can start to hover here or there. As it is, it's not that he CAN fly, it's that he's low level telekinetic, therefore can move himself where he wants. Besides him hovering, there's already been proof of this on the show. If he were to really concentrate, he could do it...

If that fails, there's always the approached made in the movie "Hook" lol. I'd jump off of mountains, cliffs, etc. etc.

H. S. 6
That's a good point. I seem to remember that scene. Did Clark fly there?

Jamaican
Originally posted by H. S. 6
That's a good point. I seem to remember that scene. Did Clark fly there?

My friend claims he did. I thought that he jumped, and maybe willed his way to where ever he wanted (while in mid-air).

Jedi Priestess
No he hasnt. Everything to date has been a jump.

Mairuzu
I doubt he knows how to fly yet, he has the capability i believe, im thinking he just doesnt train enough?

Entity
Clark has been fully aware of his ability to fly and has done it a few times since he was Kal-El. He remembers everything from when he was "reprogrammed as Kal-El" including flight. He simply doesn't like doing it. Because he already has issues with being different. He can't get much more different from the human race than flying without being propelled by anything can he? As for all this jump talk, think about it for a minute, how would anyone takeoff to fly, most of the time with a jump. Thou occasionally by hovering first.

He flew again when he had to stop the missiles from detonating.
How do you think he got back down from space to the Earth. I highly doubt he just fell back to Earth and crashed.
He was hovering not jumping with Lana in the fortress of solitude.
He didn't chase J'onn because 1 he was startled. 2 what would he say? 3 dude just wasted someone that was literally manhandling him.

Clark knows how to fly. He just doesn't like doing it. It makes him feel even more separated from humanity.
Plus the writers and producers of Smallville feel doing it brings him to close to Superman and not Clark.
Which is what the show is about. CLARK not Superman!!!

Jamaican
He doesn't like being different - agreed. But either way if they don't see him running at superspeed, they aren't going to see him flying at that speed anyway. That's not the reason. And yes he has done it at times before AND after being Kal-el. (Floating in bed while dreaming of Lana. Sleep "flying" when being awakened by Lex's porsche in the middle of the road, etc etc).

You have a point. As we've seen from the shows on TV with persons being able to fly, they usually jump first. Although if it were me, I'd definitely hover first. It looks so cool.

No, he jumped. That's why he jumped and started sliding down the rocket (or the rocket kept going and he wasn't going up anymore). Whatever your frame of reference, he jumped. And as for him falling back to Earth, yeah, that's how I imagine it. Although I do believe, as I've stated before, that his power's are Psionic, therefore he has control over his body and where it goes.

1) I don't care how startled you are, you're going to chase after him. He's done it before (being startled and then asking questions right away). 2) What/who are you? Why'd you kill him/Save my life? Where are you from? All questions he's asked when strange occurances happen on the show. 3)I'm sure if Clark wasn't an idiot he could've handled that guy, the fact of the matter is that the writers don't let Clark use his brain. Not to mention that fact you said in your 3rd statement - he obviously has no problem with Clark AND was looking out for him since he did that.

Actually I thought the whole show was about Clark becoming Superman. His journey to that...

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by Entity
Clark has been fully aware of his ability to fly and has done it a few times since he was Kal-El. He remembers everything from when he was "reprogrammed as Kal-El" including flight. He simply doesn't like doing it. Because he already has issues with being different. He can't get much more different from the human race than flying without being propelled by anything can he? As for all this jump talk, think about it for a minute, how would anyone takeoff to fly, most of the time with a jump. Thou occasionally by hovering first.

He flew again when he had to stop the missiles from detonating.
How do you think he got back down from space to the Earth. I highly doubt he just fell back to Earth and crashed.
He was hovering not jumping with Lana in the fortress of solitude.
He didn't chase J'onn because 1 he was startled. 2 what would he say? 3 dude just wasted someone that was literally manhandling him.

Clark knows how to fly. He just doesn't like doing it. It makes him feel even more separated from humanity.
Plus the writers and producers of Smallville feel doing it brings him to close to Superman and not Clark.
Which is what the show is about. CLARK not Superman!!!

I mostly agree with this. Clark knows he CAN fly, he just wont accept it yet. Clarks flight comes from just his sheer willpower (he has to will himself to do it) and if he dosent want to do it, then he cant, even if he knows he could if he REALLY wanted to.

I think that his "first" real flight will happen when he's got no other choice but to do it. Kind of a do or die situation. I could see something happening where say a bunch of people are in HUGE trouble (hopefully because of Lex) and there's absolutely no way that he could get to them all in time to save them by running. and I could see Martha (seeing as shes the only one to see him fly as of now) saying something like:

"You know what you have to do Clark, its time to accept that your different, accept that your something more then human. There are people that need you, and your the only one that can save them. Its time to let it go, to be who you really are." etc. etc.

At which point you'd have Clark wrestling with himself over the issue, eventually realising he has no choice and he just does it.

Thats what I think anyways.

But, as of right now Clark has NOT flown at all except in "Crusade" where he was Kal-El. Everything else was a really high jump.

Sparkz
The only time Clark has flown was in the second episode where he hoverd over his bed, in the first episode of season 2 where he "willed" himself towards Lana in the tornado, and finaly in Crusade.

Everything eles was a jump, think about it when he saw MM he said "He has powers i can only dream of" and seeing as hes got heat vision i doubt he'd be talking about a burning touch, another thing to think about though is that Clark is afraid of hights so why would he want to fly even if he knew how he did it...

rubinator
As i recall clark saying that he is afraid of hights or something like that

I also remeber he flew in the episode with christopher reeves called rosetta, he flies in the begging and in in the cave and flys over to the wall and wakes up in the middle of the street almost hit by lex's car

Entity
You can all cry jump to all the other times he flew but, when he was with Lana in the fortress that was the absolute slowest "jump" I have ever seen. Clark was flying then just like he has a few other times so accept it.

Is it really so horrible to let him fly just a little bit?

Kal875
Well it looked like a really looooooong jump because when they switched camera angles the jump actually sped up

complexbrother
Originally posted by Sparkz
The only time Clark has flown was in the second episode where he hoverd over his bed, in the first episode of season 2 where he "willed" himself towards Lana in the tornado, and finaly in Crusade.

Everything eles was a jump, think about it when he saw MM he said "He has powers i can only dream of" and seeing as hes got heat vision i doubt he'd be talking about a burning touch, another thing to think about though is that Clark is afraid of hights so why would he want to fly even if he knew how he did it...

this statment makes more sense than anything else I have read thus far.

((The_Anomaly))
You can all cry jump to all the other times he flew but, when he was with Lana in the fortress that was the absolute slowest "jump" I have ever seen. Clark was flying then just like he has a few other times so accept it.

Is it really so horrible to let him fly just a little bit?

Actually if you watch the "jump" then you'd see at the end it is clearly a jump and not flying.

sapphiremouse
what episode was it when Martha and Lionel were being held hostage in Lex Corp. ? Im not saying that was the first time Clark has shown bein afraid of heights. In that one in order to help save his mother he had to jump from building to building. The look on his face was like...uummmm not sure about this.. LOL

Tythriel
Im pretty sure that somewhere along there it mentions Kal-el flies through a sheer force of will. Clark just hasn't found the will power yet to get his feet off the ground. (Could be for his fear of heights, or fear of unleashing his full potential)

Dru-Zod

Ichigo66666
In one of the first episodes, he is falling and stays in mid-air, in the barn I believe. Also when he had that dream in one of the first ones, he wakes up floating. I thought they would expand it like X-Ray vision but they didn't. Maybe they will at a future date, I believe he can actually fly atm.

Kal875
no, when he falls and stays mid air in the barn is in the Superman retuns trailer

Dru-Zod
Yea, it doesn't actually happen in the show.
You should unscramble your Superman references wink

Ichigo66666
Holy sh*t, yeah sorry. Only watched SR again the other day.

Sparkz

Dru-Zod
What i meant was that their legs wouldn't have been together. This is just my opinion but i don't think thats natural

Dan-El
It is if you're in front of a green screen! roll eyes (sarcastic)

Dru-Zod
i guess. If i ever become a director, I'm gonna look out for details like that

ankur29
i'm not sure about the flying but guys does clark have microscopic vision yet?

Dru-Zod
no

darktim1
Yeah but when they started the series they said no tights no flights besides at beginning season4.

Entity
He flew last night and you all know it!
Where you want to admit it even to yourselves may be a different story but he did fly. Otherwise he and Lois would've crashed into the next building and at a much faster rate of decent.

Kal875
that was a leap, thus the "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" thing Lois said.

Entity
Originally posted by Kal875
that was a leap, thus the "Leap tall buildings in a single bound" thing Lois said.

Agreed but, it was in part flying as well seeing as how when he and Lois landed they didn't crash but rather landed slowly and with grace.

But I do have to go we can continue this discussion later if you wish?

Kal875
I think he just landed softly. People can control that.

Big Sexy
Agreed but, it was in part flying as well seeing as how when he and Lois landed they didn't crash but rather landed slowly and with grace.

But I do have to go we can continue this discussion later if you wish? I think it has to do with his aura. Remember Superman flies because of the invisible aura around him. This aura is also the reason why bullets never go though his clothes. Its not a stretch to say he has semi control of it but not enough to do full scale flying.

twntrbo03'
clark doesn't fly, because he hasn't begun his training with Kal-el. but then again i'm a newb and could be wrong

Kal875
lol! nerd

Amazon
Originally posted by Jamaican
Who thinks that Clark can already fly?? (Don't read if you aren't up-to-date with Smallville)

I was having a discussion with a friend on another subject and while we were having it he said Clark knows how to fly. I said "Hold Up - he doesn't know HOW to fly yet", to which he said yes.

His reasoning is that in the 100th episode where he takes Lana to the Fortress, he flys up to a higher point with her in his hands. Before he said that, I always assumed he jumped. But it got me thinking.

Then of course the other side to it is that he always runs, if he knew how to fly, wouldn't he?? I would... Also in the last episode (I think it was the last one) when Martian Manhunter flys away, wouldn't he chase after him VIA flying??

Let me know your thoughts

I think in the fortress Clark was taking giant leaps, like he did with Lois when they were on Red Krytonite. Clark leapt from the Daily planet to Oliver's old Apartment.

As for flying Kal is right that it takes his concentration to control his powers. But in the series Clark has said many times that he's afraid of heights. This may be why he hasn't explored that area yet.

But I do think he's capable of flying. He just chooses not to because of the height thing.

Avenger2.0
How come Zod could fly after he had powers for 12 minutes?

Amazon
Because Zod is WAAAAY older and had altered Lex's body to make it like a true adult kryptonians body.

Darkchoco
Originally posted by twntrbo03'
clark doesn't fly, because he hasn't begun his training with Kal-el. but then again i'm a newb and could be wrong

You are my favorite Smallville noob Ever!

Amazon
I think it's suposed to be Jor-el wink

Amazon
In that scene Clark blows away the spinning device on the computer, Zod freaks out, lunges at Clark and kind of fly's him out of the building in a fit of rage. Clark could have been flying as well but I don't think that he had to be in order to keep up with Zod. Either way I still think Clark can fly it's just the fear of heights thing that keeps him from doing it all the time.

Dru-Zod
Yea but Kryptonians don't have powers on krypton, do how come all the Kryptonians to ever visit earth know how to use all their powers, when Clark lived on earth all his life and he still can't?

Amazon
Kryptonians do have powers on Krypton. It's just not as big of a deal because they ALL have those powers. They are on an equal level there. But when they come to earth it seems super powerfull

Superherovandal
No they don't have powers on Krypton. They get it from the yellow sun of earth. Actually they are supposed to develop powers over time not suddenly have powers under a yellow sun so any kryptonian should really only be somewhat strong or fast. But i guess for the show they decided to change that.

Amazon
I know that he gets his powers from the sun, but I think they also get powers from the sun of Krypton too...????? Maybe I should look into that.. Is that a question that was answered in any of the comics?

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Amazon
I know that he gets his powers from the sun, but I think they also get powers from the sun of Krypton too...????? Maybe I should look into that.. Is that a question that was answered in any of the comics? The red sun takes away a kryptonians powers. Their DNA allows them to store Yellow sunlight like a battery. In a red sun they are at the level of an ordinary human.

Amazon
?????? I had no idea... Why didn't kryptonians try to come to earth then??? So they could become powerful. How did they even know that the yellow sun makes them powerful. If they are so technologically inclined why didn't they make a synthetic source.... Maybe only the creator of superman could answer that. I don't really know.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.