The most affecting scene of a dying characters last moment/words.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I say it that soldier in Saving Private Ryan that was shot on the steep hill while bleeding uncontrollably screaming for his mother as the other soldiers held tightly onto him and his wound and just just waited for him to just die.

The other soldiers just knelt and stood around by him while the doomed soldier was motionlessly hyperventilated staring at the sky for about 10 secs then he started to breath slowly and just stop. The scene was quiet and just focused on that part for a while. It was definitely the most dramatic scene of a character dying. It captured the essence of actual death in combat.

Good job, Spielberg.

dirkdirden
I like in American History X when he makes the guy bite the curb and you can hear his teeth on the curb then he stomps on his head, and when the other dude gets shot in the urinal.

Solo
When Cruise's father dies in Magnolia.

systemshock2
The Qui-gon death scene still gets me. It's very simple and yet still very impactful at the same time.

Also it's a very brief intercut in the Hulk movie, but after the Gamma bomb explodes on the Hulk and the Absorbing Man and the movie shows Bruce Banner floating in the lake, that quick flashback of the father and son saying goodnight really got to me too.

office jesus
I know I'm probably going to get railed for this, but Borimer's ( Spelling? ) death in The Fellowship of the Ring. That REALLY fckin' got to me. And I kinda' shed a tear over the T-800s 'death' in T2.

S-Ranger
Barnes death scene in platoon.

Erm Alexander when you think he think's he's dying in battle.

and Sam Bycke in The Assination of Richard Nixon after his death it's all over the new's and it shows how no one cares and how alone we all are.

vintageSW77
Vader
Carlito
and
Richard Harris in THE WILD GEESE affected me an all
Hes being chased by a hundred crazy african soldiers as he tries to board a plane thats ready for take off and Richard Burton has to take him out as he realises he has no chance of catching up .
Classic!

Kayne Archeron
when Katsumoto is dying in The Last Samurai and he takes one last look at the cherry blossoms and just manages to say "Perfect..."

Sadly, i still get affected by Mufasa's death scene

Impediment
In The Abyss, when Bud and Lindsey are trapped in the Rover that is slowly filling up with water and they have to decide who is going to wear the scuba gear, and who is going to die. When Lindsey is drowning underwater in Bud's arms, and he can't do anything but watch his love die in front of him............ I get misty eyed just typing about it.

FistOfThe North
Bruce Willis's death scene in Armageddon was full of awe.

Solo
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Impediment

laughing out loud

Strangelove
Theoden in Lord of the Rings

WrathfulDwarf

Oh, gosh! That is so true. Like when Trinity dies in Matrix Revolution. Or when Jack dies in Titanic....those films really got me.

office jesus
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron

Sadly, i still get affected by Mufasa's death scene

Dude. You aren't the only one.

office jesus

Not really. It was one of those predictable kind of deaths.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
Sadly, i still get affected by Mufasa's death scene Anyone who isn't affected by that has no heart

Ladyluck
Originally posted by Strangelove
Anyone who isn't affected by that has no heart

Haha it's true.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Rutger Hauer's replicant's (Roy Batty) last words in Blade Runner are absolutely stunning. It's after a pursuit between him and Deckard that ends up on the roof of an old apartment building with the city's skyline in the background as the rain pours down. I honestly don't think there's a better 'last moment' example than this one:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die."

Great last moment from an amazing scene from a brilliant movie.

Council#13
Originally posted by office jesus
Dude. You aren't the only one.

sad How are you not saddened by Mufasa's death? I nearly cry every time I see that part of the movie! Then I laugh when Rafiki comes along. laughing out loud

vintageSW77

I think its one of the worst things ive ever seen.....half the cinema was sniggering.
Its just BAD!!!

Myth
Scarface smile

Not sad, but still powerful.

Kid Kurdy
Rutger Hauer's last words in Blade Runner.

Doesn't come any better than that.

EPIIIBITES
When the old lady bites it in Studio 54...

confused

No seriously. Connery in Untouchables was pretty cool...(plus he gives Ness the tip about the train station...sweeeet).

SpaceMonkey
I'll say Boromir's death scene in Fellowship of the Ring also.

Impediment
Another for me would have to be Edward Norton and Edward Furlong in the final scene of American History X. Very emotional and grueling.

Lady Fianna
Not the most affecting perhaps but I can't think of any others right now. Totally unintentional that I'm picking two Russel Crowe movies here but Gladiator and the death of the young shipman at the end of Master and Commander.

Plus Mufasa of course stick out tongue

Quiero Mota
When Luke is holding a dying Vader in his arms in Return of the Jedi. When ever I see that scene, it's as powerful as when I first saw it in the movie theater in '83.

When that British guy got out-smarted by the raptors in Jurassic Park. "Clever girl" was a good last line for a doomed character.

Ultraman Baltan
"Peter, don't tell Harry."

office jesus
Originally posted by Council#13
sad How are you not saddened by Mufasa's death? I nearly cry every time I see that part of the movie! Then I laugh when Rafiki comes along. laughing out loud

Next time, read what I typed in context with what I replied to.

FistOfThe North
"The Chinese Connection" s/ Bruce Lee.

Towards the end, just after finally avenging his teacher, Bruce lets police arrest him and while he walks out of the building, with officers about him, he stops right outside front door of the school and stares emotionlessly at an infantry aiming rifles at him. He then yells out the top of him lungs and dashes toward the militia men and goes out in a blaze of glory.

He jumps into the air and the film pauses while he's mid-air and all you hear is a barrage of bullets with the honorable sounding score. Then the flick fades out.

Stealth Agent
The Boss in metal gear soldi 3 ey it just said scenes not movies. It was sad, it got to me, how she died for the country that betrayed her.

Mufasa!!! and the worst part was when simba was trying to get him to wakeup and lifted up his dead wait paw.

Gladiator he finnally got closure and his family.

Armegeddons pretty good, Carlitos way is decent, Mannys death from Scarface was sad, Katsumutos death in last samurai is poetic.

And ultimatley my own death will be the best.

Stealth Agent
how come whenever i ****ing post, im the last person to post on a thread, such bullshit

amity75
Bambi's mother.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Stealth Agent
how come whenever i ****ing post, im the last person to post on a thread, such bullshit

Happens to the best of us

Randy Quaid in INDEPENDANCE DAY

Wasnt affecting but its a good one

ladygrim
Originally posted by office jesus
I know I'm probably going to get railed for this, but Borimer's ( Spelling? ) death in The Fellowship of the Ring. That REALLY fckin' got to me. And I kinda' shed a tear over the T-800s 'death' in T2. i didnt even like the character that was Boromir but his death in FOTR gave me a tear in my eye sad

Dusty
Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs
Johnny Cade in The Outsiders
Boromir in The Lord of The Rings

Solo
Originally posted by Dusty
Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs
Johnny Cade in The Outsiders
Boromir in The Lord of The Rings
Right.

vintageSW77
The motorcycle boy in RUMBLEFISH

Jim Reaper
"The rest is silence."
-Hamlet

FistOfThe North
Passion OTC.

Light Warrior
When Gimli from "Lord of The Rings" II, kills an Uruk-hai, he swings he's axe right between the legs of an orc, you know where I mean smile and then he fall on the ground and he stabbs him in the back. smile

Darth Vicious
Boromir in Fellowiship- He went down swingign.
Bruce Willis in Armaggedon-I got teary eyed the first time I saw it and most gurls next to me were really crying.

And Mufasa of course because of the whole father/son thing.

manorastroman
that random black guy in starship troopers. you know the one...he was just trying to kill some bugs? and then he asked them if they liked that? and if they wanted some more?

yeah, that was awesome.

Pepito
Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi in Ed Wood
Or
Marlon Brando as Kurtz in Apocalypse Now because it was like Brando himself was dying.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by manorastroman
that random black guy in starship troopers. you know the one...he was just trying to kill some bugs? and then he asked them if they liked that? and if they wanted some more?

yeah, that was awesome.

i always liked the sacrifice to save others kind of deaths in movies
having said that i cant believe people rate Willis death in ARMAGEDDON though...everyone was laughing at the cinema i watched it at

manorastroman
that scene in troopers was, if possible, even more laughable. it affected my funny bone.

though it's not character death per se, the closing montage of annie hall always gets me teary eyed.

FistOfThe North
"I Hate You !!"

- Anakin last words, ever, as Anakin, before being encased in the Vader suit for the rest of his life.

To me, any and all traces of Anakin Skywalker completely ceased to exist from that point on.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by manorastroman
that scene in troopers was, if possible, even more laughable. it affected my funny bone.

though it's not character death per se, the closing montage of annie hall always gets me teary eyed.

Yeah but the STARSHIP TROOPERS movie and that scene is knowingly taking the piss(THEY SUCKED HIS BRAINS OUT!!!!) unlike ARMAGEDDON which was serious.

Da preacher
Mufasa
Bambi's mother
That kid in apocalypse now
Vader

Bicnarok
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Yeah but the STARSHIP TROOPERS movie and that scene is knowingly taking the piss(THEY SUCKED HIS BRAINS OUT!!!!) unlike ARMAGEDDON which was serious.

I think getting your brains sucked out is also a pretty serious matter fro the brain suckee.

Ive forgotten the movie, but Steven Seagal died in about 10 minutes into the movie (Fell out of a plane) I was quite suprised seeing as his name was also i the stars list on the cover.

I think Xaviers death in Xmen 3 was pretty sad and suprising.

Nevez
When jabba the hut gets strangled to death by princess leia..(stupid biatch)

Nevez
Fist Of The North since you mentioned revenge of the sith.i think the moment where obi wan says to anakin i have failed you anakin i have failed you is the most touching moment in the whole movie.even more then the part where anakin says i hate you

Kitay
Someone else mentioned it but certainly Amercian History X right at the end really hit me.

That and Forrest Gump for some reason, really like Jenny sad

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Nevez
Fist Of The North since you mentioned revenge of the sith.i think the moment where obi wan says to anakin i have failed you anakin i have failed you is the most touching moment in the whole movie.even more then the part where anakin says i hate you

i agree 100% It's definitely gotta be one of the most emotional moments in the trilogy.

Nothing was more moving than that part. Where Obi Wan was just exhausted almost hyperventilating besides how awful and scared and disappointed he must've felt inside, during the duel with Anakin.

That scene was the only moment in the movie where my eyes welled up a bit a moment after hearing Obi Wan say it. It was like he was definitely sure he had failed Anakin, as if there was no doubt about it. Nodding his head assuredly while saying it, on top of saying it twice in a row. It was just like jeez. It was definitely a downer. They had the most profound friendship I've ever seen on film (over Samwise and Frodo, imo) only for it to turn into one of the most deadliest rivalries.

~Da Rev~
Morgan Freeman in The Power of One.

Nevez
speaking of most affecting scene. anyone seen About Schmidt with Jack Nicholson? ...the part where he loses his wfie is quite sad..BUT the moment that brings tears to my eyes every time i watch that move is the ending where he sees the picture Ndugu has drawn for him and cries.Utterly touching stuff.A great movie.

Lord Shadow Z
In Galaxy Quest when Quillig is dying and Alan Rickman does the speech of his character for him... it always gets to me.

JDFE
Kill bill Vol 1

Bill: says something that i cant understand

Her: Bill.... its your bayb!!!!!!

I know she dont die but its still sad and it affects me sad

vintageSW77
i agree 100% It's definitely gotta be one of the most emotional moments in the trilogy.

Nothing was more moving than that part. Where Obi Wan was just exhausted almost hyperventilating besides how awful and scared and disappointed he must've felt inside, during the duel with Anakin.

not much a fan of the PT but i liked those last couple of mins and i did well up too
just a shame about the CGI overload
it could never live up to what we all imagined

office jesus
Passion OTC.

office jesus

That scene was the only moment in the movie where my eyes welled up a bit a moment after hearing Obi Wan say it. It was like he was definitely sure he had failed Anakin, as if there was no doubt about it. Nodding his head assuredly while saying it, on top of saying it twice in a row. It was just like jeez. It was definitely a downer. They had the most profound friendship I've ever seen on film (over Samwise and Frodo, imo) only for it to turn into one of the most deadliest rivalries.

It was quite boring actually. They both tried too hard. And I STILL can't believe you placed that over Frodo and Sam. You sir, have no judgment in character.

Supreme being
"The Chinese Connection" s/ Bruce Lee.

Towards the end, just after finally avenging his teacher, Bruce lets police arrest him and while he walks out of the building, with officers about him, he stops right outside front door of the school and stares emotionlessly at an infantry aiming rifles at him. He then yells out the top of him lungs and dashes toward the militia men and goes out in a blaze of glory.

He jumps into the air and the film pauses while he's mid-air and all you hear is a barrage of bullets with the honorable sounding score. Then the flick fades out.

The big boss right?

Oh and for me the green mile although there are others as well.

BackFire
The final scene in Requiem for a Dream. While the characters aren't technically dead, they've been systematically destroyed by the common foe of the film: addiction. The imaginary embrace between Harry and his mother, where they tell eachother they love eachother is among the most heart breaking, haunting and tragic moments I've ever experienced in a film.

Röland
William Wallace at the end of Braveheart.

FistOfThe North
^ That was one hell of a a memorable scene.

phoebz965
I'm not sure about the last lines yet. BUt you guys should check out the death theme in the new film Elvis and Anabelle. The premis is a teenage mortician falls in love with a beauty queen who comes back to life. Sounds hokey, but the cinematography actually looks pretty cool and Max Minghella is playing Elvis (art school confidential was awesome!) Check out the website: elvisandanabelle .com

Coolhalvo
I was bored and went to the elvis and anabelle site. I was just going to check it out but I ended up spending alot of time there. I really like how we have an effect on the trailer. I really liked the death one. I kind of got an Edward Scissorhands feel and the acting talent seems just as spot on. If you have not checked it out, I would encourage it.

~Flamboyant~
Last scene in American History X.

Awesome Man
Juliet's stab scene.

In Fate's Hands
Order 66........... is all I have to say.

Bain
SPOILERS FOR ALL MOVIES LISTED:

Boromir in Lord of the Rings-Not the first time I watched, actually after I got into the whole series more and the stories in general, I looked back, watched it again and went damnit, he was a good leader, just a prick.
Also, Theoden's demise.

28 Days Later- The father of Hanna. He was so cool and I was actually suprised they killed him off.

The scene in Hidalgo where hes about to kill Hidalgo then they win the race.

The end of Gladiator.

The end of Star Wars Ep. 1- I LOVED MAUL DAMNIT.

The end of the Last Samurai.

Heath Ledger in the Patriot and also when one of the militiamen kills himself when seeing his son and wife killed by the Brits.

Somewhat the end of Menace II Society

Maybe more later......

Grimm22
During the final battle in 'Glory', when Colonel Shaw charges into oncoming fire, knowing it to be suicide, but did it to motivate his troops.

Seeing the looks on the faces of the soldiers and how they react is one of the greatest movie scenes, I have ever seen

Röland

tabby999
Leon in Leon The Proffesional, one of my favourite movies and actors making me so sad and happy all at once

~Flamboyant~
When Ricky gets shot in Boyz N the Hood.

General G
I would have to say that a bunch that have been listed are all great candidates, but I just watched The Guardian, and I have to say it would have to be Rendell's death at the end, the music that was playing, the scene, the bond between the two, I just found it very emotional...

LiL nAstY GirL
Hargiten (sp?) in Sin City
Angel in Rent

alic88
No one has mentioned the elephant man? anyone seen that movie? Very very sad ending.

Also Mufasa's death scene ranks in there, and Arnie in t2. Sad sad scenes.

Yuna_And_Tidus
I like the concept of this thread, but then again it's going to spoil anything if anyone was wanting to see a movie listed in this thread. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyways, mine is for Ladder 49. I don't know his exact words, but Jack, the firefighter and main character was caught in the burning building and they couldn't get to him and he was just telling Mike Kennedy over the walkie-talkie to tell Linda that he loved her and to take care of the kids and stuff. I cried so hard.

And the other one was from Lord of the Rings, which I won't put spoilers around it because most everyone has read the books or seen the films. It's when Frodo is ready to sail into Valinor and he is going around to Sam, Merry, and Pippin and giving his goodbyes. That was really sad.

randi_jedi
FREEEEEEEDDDDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!argh
ughgurglegurgleblah

Yeah...every stinkin time man

Robin Williams' movies get me bad
Jack
What Dreams may come
Dead Poets Society
Ferngully
Hook

Most Disney stuff makes me bawl my eyes out. I can't help it, I love a good moral lesson.

And just as far as impact, The end of Saw III. Just like, wow, I get it.

The Hawk
Originally posted by Impediment
In The Abyss, when Bud and Lindsey are trapped in the Rover that is slowly filling up with water and they have to decide who is going to wear the scuba gear, and who is going to die. When Lindsey is drowning underwater in Bud's arms, and he can't do anything but watch his love die in front of him............ I get misty eyed just typing about it.
Actually the next part when they do all they can and cant bring her back but Bud doesnt give up and brings her back... that part gets me everytime.... got me a little misty just thinking about it now. Thanks.

Lenny being shot by George at the end of Of Mice and Men.

rockycairns
no one mentioned Willem Dafoe's death in Platoon that is the most memorable when he gets down on his knees and lifts his arms in the hair truly one of the most memorable scene in the film

Jax_Jax
most affecting dying at the end of any move is honestly mel gibson still not giving in to the english in braveheart. he was on his death bed, and all he had to do was apologize, but that wouldnt stop the greatest legend of all our times.. williams wallace.

FREEEEEEEEEDOM!

Bandito
"City of Angels" The ending in that just pisses me off.
"What's eating Gilbert Grape" Terrific cast.
"Mask" You know what's going to happen, but it's sad nonetheless.
"Pay it Forward" WHY OH WHY smile

And last but definitley not least.

"Donnie Darko" The death scene brings the movie together, but still leaves you going WTF each time you watch it. Put this in my top 5 .

Marxman
Many people are going to call me a pansy for this but The Goblet of Fire, when Cedric dies and his dad runs out like "THAT'S MY SON!!! THAT'S MY BOY!!!" Very moving. Any scene with a son or father dying and the son or father seeing affects me deeply.

Lighthammer
Bruce Willis in Armageddon

chillmeistergen
Did anybody already mention One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

ragesRemorse
just to lighten up the gayness im saying both tony montanna and alonzo. Those were some poserfulll deaths to the non gay community smile

wicker_man
A few spring to mind;

John Coffees in The Green Mile,
Richards in Dead Man's Shoes
and Eds in Shaun of the Dead...to lighting up the mood of the prior two.

ragesRemorse
optimus prime. There is no death that can darken the soul more than The lord of the Autobots. dammit hot rod, why did you have to get involved . Prime was about to pown him

Mairuzu
Darth Vader

Megatron sad

And at the end of 30 days of night

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Mairuzu
Megatron sad

Dammit! mad

Mairuzu
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Dammit! mad haha!

FistOfThe North
Darth Vader

And at the end of 30 days of night

"30 Days" that's a good one. But did he die. Yea he most likely did.

I wouldn't of done that to myself.

Kelly_Bean
Jack Morrison of Ladder 49, the scene in the end...cry

History Buff
Spock's death in Star Trek 2. Even though you know he comes back to life its still a very sad scene. sad

Boromir's death in the Fellowship is sad as well.

chillmeistergen
Lester Burnham in American Beauty. Here's the quote from him, speaking sort of beyond the grave.

''I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... For me, it was lying on my back at Boy Scout camp, watching falling stars... And yellow leaves, from the maple trees, that lined my street... Or my grandmother's hands, and the way her skin seemed like paper... And the first time I saw my cousin Tony's brand new Firebird... And Janie... And Janie... And... Carolyn. I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.''

Evil angel
From the movie Rent right before Mimi dies Roger sings:

"I Should Tell You I Should Tell You
I Have Always Loved You
You Can See It In My Eyes"

Mairuzu
"30 Days" that's a good one. But did he die. Yea he most likely did.

I wouldn't of done that to myself. If you cant beat em, join em...

Personally, i would have turned the girl into one and pwn the shit out of all humans

gingercaily
City of Angels:
I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss from her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it.

bellydancer
Watching Dragonheart and hearing my son sobbing when Draco died. It kills me every time.

Oomny
I don't know why ( I really don't) but the end of click was sad (SPOILER,IF YOU CARE) when adam sandler's character was dying in the rain (sorry if I spoiled it)

dragon heart,when I first saw it was freaking sad

but the cherry oh friends is Big Fish. see it,you'll understand

The_Dormouse
Hmm... the top deaths that come to mind are:

Nick from The Deer Hunter
Lester Burnham from American Beauty
Freeman and Luey, the drone, from Silent Running
Leon from The Professional

gingercaily
Ian Wyndham: I have to tell you this and you need to hear it. I loved you since I met you, but I wouldn't allow myself to truly feel it until today. I was always thinking ahead, making decisions soaked with fear... Today, because of you... what I learned from you; every choice I made was different and my life has completely changed... and I've learned that if you do that, then you're living your life fully... it doesn't matter if you have five minutes or fifty years. Samantha if not for today, if not for you I would never have known love at all... So thank you for being the person who taught me to love... and to be love.

Samantha Andrews:I don't know what to say.
Ian Wyndham: You don't have to say anything... I just wanted to tell you.

--from The movie IF ONLY---

Darth Martin
Darth Vader

GGS
If you cant beat em, join em...

Personally, i would have turned the girl into one and pwn the shit out of all humans

^^
That's what happens in the third sequel book after she brings him back
^^

When the kid robot played by hayley joel osmond dies in A.I

Robert Vaughn and the others in the Maginicent Seven

Yan at the end of Inferal Affairs One

Cant believe no one said Leonardis in 300 but then it's kind of gladitorish and expected.

Sean Penn in 21 grams didn't see it coming but it made sense.

beninco del toro and ryan phillipe in Way of the Gun
was unexpected.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.