Indie Rock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

M.T. STYLE
What's your favourite Indie band?

E.g.
Oasis
Blur
Razorling
Feeling
Stone Roses
Snow Patrol
Killers

reggie_jax
f@g nigga bullshit

Deathblow
Aren't they death metal?

S-Ranger
The Libertines

Cause they came they saw and kicked ass and revived it.

~Da Rev~
Interpol
She Wants Revenge

Solo
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
Interpol
She Wants Revenge
The Arcade Fire
Death Cab for Cutie
Modest Mouse
The Strokes
The Walkmen

The Core
Indie? Is that what they call "alternative" nowadays? Cuz' Oasis are far from independent, same goes for The Killers. They're on major labels.

I have to go with 30 Seconds to Mars. Virgin US is still a pretty small label, as far as artists go.

Bardock42
The Smiths

Alpha Centauri
Are we defining "Indie" as a sound, and not bands on actual independent labels?

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Are we defining "Indie" as a sound, and not bands on actual independent labels?

-AC

Yeah, yeah, either way, The Smiths.

~Da Rev~
Originally posted by Solo
The Arcade Fire
Death Cab for Cutie
Modest Mouse
The Strokes
The Walkmen Ah yes, The Arcade Fire. One of my favorite bands.

jaden101
haven't heard much good recently...cant say i'm into the fratellis or the view or dirty pretty things et al...they all sound rather bland

the last good indie album i bought would have been first impressions of earth....or broken boy soldiers (which is a stretch to say its indie anyway)

The Core
Eh..Arcade Fire remind me of a bad John Lennon tribute band, sans the incredible songwriting.

Bardock42
Bad John Lennon tribute bands usually lack incredible songwriting anyways.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Bad John Lennon tribute bands usually lack incredible songwriting anyways.

I always thought John was a great songwriter.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I always thought John was a great songwriter.

Yeah, but the tribute bands lack the songwriting. Here have a cookie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Not if they're tribute bands because presumably they'd sing...John Lennon songs.

Hence 'tribute' band. Get it?

Bardock42
Not if they're tribute bands because presumably they'd sing...John Lennon songs.

Hence 'tribute' band. Get it?

Yes, yes, but they are not writing any songs. Hence the lack of great songwriting. That they play songs that had great songwriting is of no matter. The Band doesn't have any,

Ya Krunk'd Floo
But you said, "bad John Lennon tribute bands usually lack incredible songwriting", which would mean that you are saying that John Lennon's songwriting is bad because he's the guy who wrote all the songs that the bad John Lennon tribute band sing.

The key word here is 'tribute', Bardock. It they are a 'tribute' band, then guess what? They're going to sing JOHN MOTHER-F*CKING LENNON SONGS, YOU STUPID SHIT-ANUS!

(Please don't take any offense with the whole 'shit-anus' thing, by the way.)

Bardock42
But you said, "bad John Lennon tribute bands usually lack incredible songwriting", which would mean that you are saying that John Lennon's songwriting is bad because he's the guy who wrote all the songs that the bad John Lennon tribute band sing.

The key word here is 'tribute', Bardock. It they are a 'tribute' band, then guess what? They're going to sing JOHN MOTHER-F*CKING LENNON SONGS, YOU STUPID SHIT-ANUS!

(Please don't take any offense with the whole 'shit-anus' thing, by the way.)

Yes, I realize that. So if they only play Lennon Songs, jsut how much songwriting ability does the Band have? Yes? Answer me. I demand it!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yes, I realize that. So if they only play Lennon Songs, jsut how much songwriting ability does the Band have? Yes? Answer me. I demand it!

Well, I'd say quite a bit if they were singing Lennon songs because most of the ones he wrote were pretty good.

Bardock42
Well, I'd say quite a bit if they were singing Lennon songs because most of the ones he wrote were pretty good.

They don't write songs. No songwriting. Screw you.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
You're right; they don't write songs, but that's because they're a tribute band. A John Lennon tribute band. John Lennon wrote some songs. Lot's of good ones. A John Lennon tribute band performs those. You know, John Lennon songs. Why? Oh, I don't know...Maybe because they're a John Lennon tribute band? Yeah, I think that has something to do with it.

So, let's break it down: A John Lennon tribute band performs well-written songs because they're performing John Lennon songs, hence them being a John Lennon tribute band. John Lennon tribute band = John Lennon songs.

Here, have a fish. In fact, naw brother man, here have two. Two fish doesn't mean a lot to me, but it means a great deal to you. Be strong. Serve a god only. Know that if you do beautiful, a type of heaven awaits. Blah, blah, blah.

Bardock42
Let me make it easy:

John Lennon's songwriting = Good
John Lennon Tribute Bands' songwriting = nonexistent

Therefore John Lennon tribute Bands lack good song writing.

The songs they perform don't. The Band does.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Let me make it easy:

John Lennon's songwriting = Good
John Lennon Tribute Bands' songwriting = nonexistent

Therefore John Lennon tribute Bands lack good song writing.

The songs they perform don't. The Band does.

But if the songs the band performs are John Lennon songs, then they are not lacking good songwriting because the songs they perform are John Lennon songs. John Lennon songs are examples of good songwriting, so they're not lacking good song writing because they perform John Lennon songs.

dirkdirden
can someone tell me what Indie rock is. Someone told me that Beck and strokes were indie rock but beck has been around since before indie rock was a word and the strokes are pretty much just alternitive.

I'm very confused what would the muse be and would queen be clasifyed as indie or rock my god my head hurts.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dirkdirden
can someone tell me what Indie rock is. Someone told me that Beck and strokes were indie rock but beck has been around since before indie rock was a word and the strokes are pretty much just alternitive.

I'm very confused what would the muse be and would queen be clasifyed as indie or rock my god my head hurts.

Well..I believe that Independent used to be the British word for Alternative...now, I am not so sure.

But if the songs the band performs are John Lennon songs, then they are not lacking good songwriting because the songs they perform are John Lennon songs. John Lennon songs are examples of good songwriting, so they're not lacking good song writing because they perform John Lennon songs.

'kay

speiderman
Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers. I just saw them live and they were amazing.

jaden101
Originally posted by speiderman
Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers. I just saw them live and they were amazing.

stephen kellogg is pretty cool...heard some of his stuff cause he done a ryan adams cover...its all good

TPS
Q: How do you piss off an indie rocker?

A: Actually enjoy the music you are listening to

big grin

Solo
The Arcade Fire is the definitive indie band.

manorastroman
perhaps these days, but indie as a concept goes way back to the violent femmes. then there was the pre-twee of talulah gosh and wedding present, while we had beat happening over in america.

i think pavement is the definitive indie band, when it comes to the whole timeline. beat happening, yo la tengo, and guided by voices are also strong contenders.

Deathblow
Originally posted by manorastroman
i think pavement is the definitive indie band

No question.

Solo
perhaps these days, but indie as a concept goes way back to the violent femmes. then there was the pre-twee of talulah gosh and wedding present, while we had beat happening over in america.

i think pavement is the definitive indie band
I agree, I suppose I should have phrased that better.

vintageSW77
THE FALL were Indie

Heres a quote from Mark E Smith of THe Fall regarding Pavement

- " It's like listening to Pavement: it's just The Fall in 1985, isn't it? They haven't got an original idea in their heads."

Indie is ****ed...and id say it was an 80 early 90s thing
the days of the true indie sound - The Smiths,The Fall and Wedding Present etc are gone
today we just have alternative rock everything out now was done much better 15 - 25 years ago

the Alt DIY disco scene is taking it away from that but basically underneath it all that is just Talking Heads circa 1979 with the odd synth riff so not much of an advance there then

im finding a lot of people are getting there genres ****ed up
Oasis are an overated band with one decent album and were never Indie

vanice
I'm going ont indie sound and nothing more here, major labels or not.
"The Soundtrack of our lives" are good as hell.
Elliot Smith is not i band i know, but best indie i know.
Midlake
The Concretes
Coldplay (not sure if you can call it indie though.. definitely a major label, and hyped as hell. still sounds good)

all this "the strokes" and "the cooks" and so on just bores the shit outa me.

Alpha Centauri
Coldplay are a pop band.

Pop doesn't necessarily mean Britney Spears.

-AC

jaden101

-AC

someone should teach that girl how to play guitar...in her current state of mind i'm sure she'd batter out some crazy tunes...

manorastroman
really, i'm not sure where mark e smith is getting the idea that pavement is just like mid eighties fall. maybe on slanted and enchanted, but even then the differences are pretty apparent.

Silverstein
www.myspace.com/thesesilhouettes

Solo
Originally posted by Silverstein
www.myspace.com/thesesilhouettes
hahaha

Silverstein
lol wat?

theyre awesome

manorastroman
having bad taste is one thing, but don't share it with the rest of the class. that band ****ing sucked. moreover, i can't imagine what these clones have to do with "indie rock", be it the sound or the ethic.

Silverstein
*sigh*

pcp
We Are Scientists are brilliant.

chillmeistergen
The Libertines
Cold War Kids
We Are Scientists
Arctic Monkeys
T.V On The Radio
The Strokes
Dirty Pretty Things
Bloc Party

jaden101
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
The Libertines
Cold War Kids
We Are Scientists
Arctic Monkeys
T.V On The Radio
The Strokes
Dirty Pretty Things
Bloc Party

lets have fun with the names

dirty scientists strokes kids on the radio

niiceee

pcp
Kids Are Pretty Things

vanice
Coldplay are a pop band.

-AC

Yeah, but most indie is. I wouldn't call a hip-hop artist indie even if he released albums on indie labels...

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by pcp
Kids Are Pretty Things

Some paedoged.

-AC

Deathblow
Originally posted by vintageSW77
They haven't got an original idea in their heads."

Well, to put it bluntly, he was wrong.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm really into Modest Mouse at the moment. Are they cool? I'm outta the loop, snoop.

Fire It Up and Missed The Boat are incredible.

Bardock42
I'm really into Modest Mouse at the moment. Are they cool? I'm outta the loop, snoop.

Fire It Up and Missed The Boat are incredible.

They have Johnny Marr....I have to check them out...and stuff.

Also need a rhyme......slime.

Urgh.

vintageSW77
The Smiths are up for the Hall of fame next year
Andy Rourke says hes up for a reunion dunno about Moz and the others
who knows maybe this will the be the one

Bardock42

Not me...I never lost control.

Well, well, we'll see and such.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The Smiths are shit. Everyone knows that.

Alpha Centauri

I don't think there's any reason to, and it won't be with Mike Joyce.

-AC

manorastroman
moz is doing well solo. he doesn't need the smiths.

modest mouse has been getting mediocre since brock quit drinking. i don't mind their move towards glossy production (though i prefer the lonesome crowded sound), but the biggest attraction with modest mouse has always been (for me) the lyrics. they used to have so much anger and sadness, so much density. now the lyrics are pretty bland.

Alpha Centauri
Morrissey's solo work, save for the odd good song on each of his albums, is quite dire, in my opinion.

He doesn't "need" The Smiths, but I'd not go so far as to say he's as good, or doing as well, without them.

-AC

manorastroman
yeah, i suppose the smith's are near-universally adored. but "you are the quarry" had almost complete critical adorataion, and did quite well commercially if i recall. i'm sure moz is satisfied.

Alpha Centauri
yeah, i suppose the smith's are near-universally adored. but "you are the quarry" had almost complete critical adorataion, and did quite well commercially if i recall. i'm sure moz is satisfied.

I'm not talking about critical acclaim or commercial success.

I'm talking about the music, which is admittedly subjective, I just would never go so far as to say solo Morrissey is better. Just me though.

-AC

manorastroman
oh, me neither. i was just looking at it from the morissey's perspective. he's doing exactly what he wants, making money, and pleasing the critics. can't imagine why he'd reunion.

Alpha Centauri
If you believe Morrissey cares about critics', or anyone's opinions, you don't know Morrissey.

-AC

manorastroman
can't say i've ever met him.

Alpha Centauri
Wouldn't necessarily need to meet him to know that.

-AC

Solo
I'm seeing Morrissey live in a couple weeks or so.

SnakeEyes
Favorite Indie band?

Probably the Shins, assuming that we're referring to the sound and not the actual independent label in terms of what defines Indie.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
I'm seeing Morrissey live in a couple weeks or so.

Ask him what he thinks about critical acclaim...

manorastroman
Ask him what he thinks about critical acclaim...

and then we can all have a seance to snap our girlfriend(s) out of that coma (i know it's serious).

Alpha Centauri
Can I just stop you? I've heard that one before.

-AC

Bardock42
Nice to see you finally accept it, AC. I still remember when you got quite ill-tempered after I called you AP. Admittedly, an insider I had no knowledge about at that moment. But it served it's purpose....mabe too well.Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Morrissey's solo work, save for the odd good song on each of his albums, is quite dire, in my opinion.

He doesn't "need" The Smiths, but I'd not go so far as to say he's as good, or doing as well, without them.

-AC

Quite enjoy it actually. Not as good as The Smiths. But very good. To me. That isOriginally posted by Solo
I'm seeing Morrissey live in a couple weeks or so. I had the pleasure a few months ago. Quite excellent actually. A decent amount of Smiths songs...I was well entertained.Originally posted by manorastroman
and then we can all have a seance to snap our girlfriend(s) out of that coma (i know it's serious). Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Can I just stop you? I've heard that one before.

-AC

Guys, that joke isn't funny anymore.

Alpha Centauri
Nice to see you finally accept it, AC. I still remember when you got quite ill-tempered after I called you AP. Admittedly, an insider I had no knowledge about at that moment. But it served it's purpose....mabe too well.

I did this because the character is funny. Not for any other reason. You know not enough to be involved.

Quite enjoy it actually. Not as good as The Smiths. But very good. To me. That is I had the pleasure a few months ago. Quite excellent actually. A decent amount of Smiths songs...I was well entertained.

Guys, that joke isn't funny anymore.

It looks like November spawned a monster.

-AC

Bardock42
I did this because the character is funny. Not for any other reason. You know not enough to be involved.

It looks like November spawned a monster.

-AC

Well, you don't quite know how much i know. But as I said as a tool it was amusing. See it like this, an aborigine might be able to use a gun without really knowing why it works.

That's also not what she said.

Alpha Centauri
(You joined in November. In an odd twist, I wanted to use that song title anyway, and it just happens you joined in a November.).

-AC

BackFire
(You joined in November. In an odd twist, I wanted to use that song title anyway, and it just happens you joined in a November.).

-AC

Tell me my future.

Bardock42

-AC

I continued our most funny game. Though November Spawned a Monster (amazing song) is a Morrissey title. A quite hilarious coincidence though. Now let there, for our little game, be a light that never goes out...!

Alpha Centauri
Now? How soon is that?

-AC

Bardock42
Now? How soon is that?

-AC

Not sure, but we will get nowhere fast if we don't start.

Alpha Centauri
That's what she said.

It's fun, this.

Even though we're basically just integrating specific song titles into our posts.

-AC

Bardock42
That's what she said.

It's fun, this.

Even though we're basically just integrating specific song titles into our posts.

-AC

Yes, it is quite enjoyable though YOU (evil peron) not only used a different band but also used one song twice. I am dissappointed, though this game is quite exciting, like painting a vulgar picture....

Alpha Centauri
I used one song twice? Where? What She Said is a song by The Smiths.

I think you're asleep.

-AC

Bardock42
I used one song twice? Where? What She Said is a song by The Smiths.

I think you're asleep.

-AC

I used "What she said" before....if you think that your new found money changes everything, you are wrong!

Alpha Centauri
I think you'll fine we both used a song once, it has just appeared twice.

I'm not sorry.

-AC

Bardock42
I think you'll fine we both used a song once, it has just appeared twice.

I'm not sorry.

-AC How can you not be sorry, we both know tha barbarism begins at home.

vintageSW77
i know the smiths reunion is a long shot but things happen
even to a group as damaged as the 2nd greatest band to come out of my city
i never once thought the Pixies or The Police would be touring again but there you go

I quoted Rourke instead of Joyce btw my mistake
http://depositfiles.com/files/789221
and for the fellow Alan fan here is my Partridge breaks mash up i knocked up a year ago on mixcraft

vintageSW77
back of the net

Alpha Centauri
It's fine, thanks.

-AC

Digi
I'm doing this thing with a thing right now. It may involve indie rock. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

lord xyz
The Cribs, Klaxons, Gorillaz, The Strokes.

Thought I was gonna say Arctic Monkeys?

Well, yeah. Arctic Monkeys.

Darth Jello
And how many of those "indie rock" bands are actually on independent labels?

Rain Dog
Anyone checked out Cymbals Eat Guitars? I'm really liking their album.

Ms.Marvel
65DaysofStatic! big grin

lord xyz
Originally posted by Darth Jello
And how many of those "indie rock" bands are actually on independent labels? The Cribs, The Klaxons and The Strokes used to be before they went to Sony.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by lord xyz
The Cribs, The Klaxons and The Strokes used to be before they went to Sony.

Im pretty sure the Klaxons were with Kitsune Maison before hand. So were most of the decent Indie synth bands of the late 00's, such as Simian, Digitalism, Bloc Party, etc

Eon Blue
Is my favorite style.

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Is my favorite style.

What is your favorite style ... Indie music ... Or Indie Electro ?

IMO during the 00's Indie electro far surpassed its Acoustic and its Brit Pop rivals, especially amongst the more underground, trendy circles. Even the more established Brit Pop Indie groups such as the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Radio Head embraced the synth-rock style.

Eon Blue
Indie music in general.

I enjoy many aspects of it (aside from the crappy band, or what I find to be crappy).

Cartesian Doubt
Originally posted by Eon Blue
Indie music in general.

I enjoy many aspects of it (aside from the crappy band, or what I find to be crappy).

No offense ... but that's pretty obvious !!!

lord xyz
Radiohead are quite awesome.

Eon Blue
Originally posted by Cartesian Doubt
No offense ... but that's pretty obvious !!!

Obviously.

wicker_man
There are very Indie Rock bands out there I'd bother to rate and most certainly that would not include the usual suspects.

Darth Jello
Seriously though, how many bands that people have named in this thread are or for that matter, have ever been on an independent label?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Seriously though, how many bands that people have named in this thread are or for that matter, have ever been on an independent label?

The Smiths.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.