some b.s.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

K73SK
http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747901p1.html

HILARIOUS

i don't get emotional problems, neither do any of my friends. especially over video games.

it's just like that gay study about "heavy metal" music making people depressed. i've seen MANY more people depressed over country music and many more people that like heavy metal, to seem more excited all the time (excluding the gay ass emo kids)

AstroFan
Games dont affect me, but shit like this makes me want to be violent. no expression

IceJaw
My brain isn't rotten but that bullshit is.

Smasandian
It's not bullshit.

It's actually the first study that shows something that people might not like.

It's not conclusive, but its just an premilnary study. Its not a study about how violent videogames create violence, but how violent videogames decrease activity in the brain, which I believe is true.

And remember, technically kids that old in the study cant buy those games, so the study is useless.
Dont get your panties in a bunch, it doesnt really prove anything.

office jesus
And the basis for these findings is...? What?

MadMel
what office said..

IceJaw
Originally posted by Smasandian
It's not bullshit.

It's actually the first study that shows something that people might not like.

It's not conclusive, but its just an premilnary study. Its not a study about how violent videogames create violence, but how violent videogames decrease activity in the brain, which I believe is true.

And remember, technically kids that old in the study cant buy those games, so the study is useless.
Dont get your panties in a bunch, it doesnt really prove anything. You mean like permanently? If so then I'm glad I eat a lot of fish.

But that stuff is getting pretty old. erm They can't really say that it aplies for other gamers.

Burning thought
peh..it really depends on your outlook....emotional arousal is more important to some people, personally i would rather be more emotional myself than be useful to my country.....

another thing is that i have always played violent games...even from a young age of about 7+ i mean about 6 i was playing Diablo, and enjoyed cleaving satanic beings of hell with a bloody sword, however i can be one of the calmest and gentlist people....

from my own experiance its those who do not play games much are those who are aggressive, especially in Sports, activities and such, since their competitive side makes them aggresive, especially when they lose

PVS
emotional problems? violent behavior? hogwash...i play shooter games all the time and im not prone to emotional outbursts...who would even try to suggest something so silly? i mean really....what kind of frikin idiot would even consider....goddamn douchebags....ILL KILL EM!!!!!!!!! ILL KILL EM ALL!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InnerRise
Originally posted by PVS
emotional problems? violent behavior? hogwash...i play shooter games all the time and im not prone to emotional outbursts...who would even try to suggest something so silly? i mean really....what kind of frikin idiot would even consider....goddamn douchebags....ILL KILL EM!!!!!!!!! ILL KILL EM ALL!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're not helping your case here. erm

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Lana
'tis called sarcasm.

PVS
you're a quick one, aren't you wink

InnerRise
Originally posted by Lana
'tis called sarcasm. Yes I know this Lana. tongue

Originally posted by PVS
you're a quick one, aren't you wink
By Golly I think she is. wink

dirkdirden

Lana
Originally posted by InnerRise
Yes I know this Lana. tongue

By Golly I think she is. wink

Didn't seem like it stick out tongue

Spearhead
The article seems rather...duh. Playing violent video games will arouse the parts of the brain that are associated with violence. What a concept!

I'd like to know the amount of time in between playing said games and performing said task. Doesn't seem like either site had that. Anywho, the results are rather unimpressive, and studies like this have been done before. Tell us something new, please.

Swe_Bum
What a piece of CRAP! i ain't buying that shit for "study"

ESB -1138
Originally posted by K73SK
http://pc.ign.com/articles/747/747901p1.html

HILARIOUS

i don't get emotional problems, neither do any of my friends. especially over video games.

it's just like that gay study about "heavy metal" music making people depressed. i've seen MANY more people depressed over country music and many more people that like heavy metal, to seem more excited all the time (excluding the gay ass emo kids)

Yeah everything has to be a video-game problem with violent youth. It can't be a parenting problem; noooooooooooooooooooo. It has to be a video-game problem.

You know people make it seem like video-games have been the worse things ever. During ancient days people would go to the Roman arenas to watch gladiators kill one another in epic combat. During the Civil War families had picnics on hills and watched the Union and Confederate army kill one another.

Kenshinswife
Now lets be logical and not bias while video games may be "bad" in arousing the violence in your brain. Lets look at the bright side most video games the best games, you actually have to think to figure it out and i am talking about some serious pondering..like days and weeks of trying to figure out a puzzle just so you can advance in the game i.e prince of persia, resident evil, Most Zelda games i mean the list goes on. The article seems like a bunch of parents and bored people who need something to reason why alot of kids are pretty rotten today when its pretty obvious that is their fault. So metaphorically speaking lets not hate the game but the player's parent.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Kenshinswife
Now lets be logical and not bias while video games may be "bad" in arousing the violence in your brain. Lets look at the bright side most video games the best games, you actually have to think to figure it out and i am talking about some serious pondering..like days and weeks of trying to figure out a puzzle just so you can advance in the game i.e prince of persia, resident evil, Most Zelda games i mean the list goes on. The article seems like a bunch of parents and bored people who need something to reason why alot of kids are pretty rotten today when its pretty obvious that is their fault. So metaphorically speaking lets not hate the game but the player's parent.

Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Amen!! Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance Happy Dance

Smasandian
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Yeah everything has to be a video-game problem with violent youth. It can't be a parenting problem; noooooooooooooooooooo. It has to be a video-game problem.

You know people make it seem like video-games have been the worse things ever. During ancient days people would go to the Roman arenas to watch gladiators kill one another in epic combat. During the Civil War families had picnics on hills and watched the Union and Confederate army kill one another.

Way to be overdramatic.

It's not saying that kids who play violent videogames go off and shoot somebody in the face.

It's just saying that a kid playing videogames has a less time focusing and can lose control alot quicker than somebody playing an videogame about bunnies.

That's it.

PVS
or it could just mean that racing games better stimulate such brain activity

dirkdirden
Or it is saying that people who play FPS are stupid.

PVS
or it could be that people who draw false conclusions are stupid. many things seem to be suggested

dirkdirden
Well the entire article is one huge false conclusion so the only thing that can come out of it is false conclusions.

SaTsuJiN
you know it sickens me to see these people conduct an experiment without the slightest knowledge of how to perform one.. they dont even have the basics down like the "variable" and the "control" and yet they're going to throw this out into the public as if its going to be detrimental to the well being of our society?... they give jobs to these kind of people... its pretty scary.. more so than people becoming emotionally nulled over a friggin' video game roll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire
Sounds like crap to me. Doesn't make sense that seeing some violence automatically decreases brain activity. Sounds bogus. There's any number of reasons why those who played Medal of Honor had trouble concentrating compared to those who played Need for Speed, most of which have shit to do with the violence.

SaTsuJiN
Cant any form of competition be considered violence?.... I mean technically you're hell bent on ruining someone.. whether through a game score, or physically damaging them... then sometimes those two aspects collide... someone scores a goal in a soccer game and the whole stadium rushes the field and beats the crap out of eachother

on the concentration issue... Imagine if you had someone just get off the floor from an olympic taekwondo match... they were dodging someones kick flying at their face for the past 15 minutes... do you think they'd be a good candidate for concentrating on something? no expression

Smasandian
Or it could be that Medal of Honor:Frontline sucks ass and they were getting really angry.

But from the article, I'm pretty sure that the study was at its infant stages. It probably shouldnt of been reported until the study was actually completed.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Smasandian
But from the article, I'm pretty sure that the study was at its infant stages. It probably shouldnt of been reported until the study was actually completed.

most definately.... its obvious they wanna release the infantile info so as to cause a ruckus among the already shaky state of video games vs politicians

PVS
they also do not specify whether its a temporary effect of permanent, thus suggesting permanent. its possible that by triggering such instincts your brain is temporarily incapable of dwelling on the superficial.

but as ign jumps the gun and runs with it, so will everyone else.
and then its ZOMG GHOST RECON ROTS UR BRAIN!!!1

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.