Oh mine, it's not far that we can live to 140

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ysh227
Oh mine, it's not far that we can live to 140

Article was published at: http://thebestworld.forumable.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=550&mforum=thebestworld#550

By Steve Hargreaves
Special to CNN

Adjust font size:
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Imagine a world with no cancer, Alzheimer's disease or diabetes, where people routinely live to be 140 years old.

Although outside conventional medical opinion, that world may be just a couple of decades away, according to James Canton, author of a new book, "The Extreme Future: The Top Trends That Will Reshape the World for the Next 5, 10, and 20 Years."

Canton, who has served as a consultant on future trends for clients including Motorola and the White House, said advances in information technology, biotechnology, neuroscience, and nanotechnology will allow for radical advances in medicine and the treatment of diseases.

"Once medicine becomes boldly proactive, then you're talking about eliminating 70, 80 percent of diseases," Canton said in an interview. "We're just on the edge of this. It's going to happen very shortly."

Canton uses proprietary quantitative and qualitative market research to forecast trends on the future. He currently serves as a senior fellow at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management and is an adviser to the National Science Foundation.

Canton believes that the mapping of the human genome will allow doctors to peer into our medical futures, disable disease-causing genes or pinpoint exactly when an organ will fail.

Replacing that organ would be much easier than it is today, he claims, as genetic engineering will allow organs to be grown and harvested, eliminating the need for long waiting lists.

And advances in medications will refresh the brain, warding off aliments like Alzheimer's or other afflictions that have already set in, he said.

"Cancer and diabetes will be managed diseases in a decade," said Canton. Managing those diseases should lead to gradually increasing life spans, he said. Eventually, Canton said, "Birthday parties for people who are 120, 140 will be commonplace."

But there are doubters who say Canton is not presenting an accurate picture of the future.

"I think that's a pretty optimistic assessment," said Michael Smyer, director of the Center for Aging and Work at Boston College. "We're making progress, but ... that progress is not in the next 10 or 15 years."

Anne Newman, a professor of epidemiology and medicine at the University of Pittsburgh, said some genetic manipulation in other animals has led to dramatic increases in life span. But manipulating genes to increase the human life span is not being done, she said. Instead, the emphasis is on treating diseases.

'We feel like we have a revolution going on, but it won't be so extreme," she said. "We've increased the number of people getting old, but we haven't increased the life span of the species. The average has been increasing because more people are being given a chance to get there."

The National Center for Health Statistics, part of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said a man born in 2004 is expected to live 75.2 years, while a woman is expected to live 80.4 years.

The agency stressed these are not projections, but estimates based on current mortality rates.

Canton said the baby boomer generation is the driving force behind advances in medicine. Eyeing the boomer's wealth, companies from across the medical spectrum are pouring money into drugs and technologies of all kinds that will help people live longer lives, Canton said. Whether they will succeed in increasing the human life span appears to be an open question.

"It's quite debatable and fun to argue," said Newman.

Canton believes the human life span will increase and that the ensuing societal changes will be monumental.

"This is the big one," he said. "This makes the Internet seem small."

HarmoNiC FLo
None of that will happen because just like the shut down of stem cell research, Republicans will actually use God... as an excuse to kill other people.

ysh227
will not happen in Japan

silver_tears
Why in the world would we need people to live until 140?
The world's overpopulated as it is. There's nothing noble about clinging to life. Live it while you have the chance, don't try to beat nature.

ysh227
Try to say the similar thing to some people who don't give a damn about god--chinese and japanese

Quiero Mota
Bullshit.

Originally posted by ysh227
Try to say the similar thing to some people who don't give a damn about god--chinese and japanese

What the hell did you just say?

Rogue Jedi
140? maybe, if the world is around like a few hundred years from now, with cybernetic transplants.

grey fox
This is bullshit , the man is a fool.

Harvesting organs ? Hah ! While intelligent as that is, the 'God-Warriros' (yes I'm talking to all you who worship the invisible deity ) wouldn't allow it. Because fetus's which can't stick up from themselves apparently need to be saved....

debbiejo
Cybernetic implants......... blink

But but, I wouldn't feel quite myself.........lol

PVS
Originally posted by grey fox
This is bullshit , the man is a fool.

Harvesting organs ? Hah ! While intelligent as that is, the 'God-Warriros' (yes I'm talking to all you who worship the invisible deity ) wouldn't allow it. Because fetus's which can't stick up from themselves apparently need to be saved....

you stole my post damnit!

PVS
Originally posted by silver_tears
The world's overpopulated as it is. There's nothing noble about clinging to life. Live it while you have the chance, don't try to beat nature.

dont try to beat nature? so if all diseases could be cured that would be a defiance of nature? so, if someone gets sick and goes to the doctor they're trying to beat nature as well?

Kayne Archeron
i don't think i can stand living up to 90, much less 140

ThePittman

Kayne Archeron

PVS
decades? thats it?

ThePittman
Originally posted by PVS
decades? thats it? Maybe centuries was a better term, but you get my drift.

Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
sometimes i wonder if we should've been extinct by now
No, because we did evolve to this point so therefore we did survive however the question would be will be survive our own intelligence and technology.

Soleran
We don't need no stinkin chemical enhancements or cyborg parts just ask Jack Lalane and use his juicer juicing machine, then tow a bunch of boats in a bay with your wang!

PVS
just do this and you'll live to 160:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYFuQXkXErg

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by PVS
decades? thats it?

More like never. The lifespan of the average American is 75, and in a short period of time it will be double that? Bullshit!

ThePittman
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
More like never. The lifespan of the average American is 75, and in a short period of time it will be double that? Bullshit! I think he was referring to me saying that we have been increasing our life span and I originally said decades but meant centuries. The average life span has been increasing a little each decade with the advancement of medical technology and through the advancement of nutrition and diet.

fancyboy

When you are 70 you will look and feel 30. This will happen. It has already started.

ysh227
we like youth

Green Arrow
Exactly, another life lesson is don't set expecations too high. Everyone's thinking stem-cells are going to be this massive magick thing that solves all the worlds problems, and that's bullcrap. Besides, do people think they are going to have access to stem-cells? Hell no. Only the rich and powerful will. The rest of us will have to deal with what we got just as we do now. At most might have infrior, state-sanctioned stemcells coverd by taxes.

I myself have nothing against stem-cell research, I figure the fetus is dead anyway, so may as well put use to the dead. (It's hard being pro-life but pro-stem cell.) But the republicans make a good point, knowing democrats like we do. They abuse any little power you give them. If we issued legit stem-cell research with dead fetuses, they'd just use it to encourage abortion, and furthermore, harvest clones. And if Spiderman taught us anything; We don't want clones!

And whenever a democrat is backed into a wall with that suspicioun they're like some cheesy cartoon supervillain "why uhh--that's perposterous! Heeheehee.." Pathetic.

Soleran
In MO they passed a stem cell amendment yet still managed to keep cloning illegal.

It's all semantic word play that attorneys drool over and look to capitalize on. They can grow babies in tubes thats not cloning according to MO law so much for clone banning.

Green Arrow
Originally posted by Soleran
In MO they passed a stem cell amendment yet still managed to keep cloning illegal.

It's all semantic word play that attorneys drool over and look to capitalize on. They can grow babies in tubes thats not cloning according to MO law so much for clone banning.
True that, depravity will always worm it's way pass the law through a technichality. It's like when we voted against eminent domain here in Florida. On the paper, it didn't meation anything like this, but then at the polls it said "If 3/5 house seats vote against it". So bassicaly, I had to vote for either being at the mercy of the massive coporations that want to plow my land to build a parking lot. Or at the mercy of my congressmen who don't really give a rat's ass about me anyway.

Wow, what a descision. I can hardly contain myself. *Sarcasm*

ysh227
Too bad
democracy will take over
and many scientists in Japan are doing what you hate the most

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.