San Diego to ban Wal Mart supercenters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth_Erebus
Good for San Diego

Soleran
Wahoo?

I will give Walmart credit though, if I make a grocery run at 11pm I can still catch some hotties pulling a beer run ready to party.

lord xyz
party

PVS
good news for american workers. bad news for chinese workers

botankus
I love small Mom and Pop stores.

However, I do 99% of my shopping after 6PM, with many trips occurring after midnight on weekends. Guess what store is open.

lord xyz
Originally posted by botankus

However, I do 99% of my shopping after 6PM, with many trips occurring after midnight on weekends. Guess what store is open. One that sells flash lights?

Darth_Erebus

However, I do 99% of my shopping after 6PM, with many trips occurring after midnight on weekends.

Ditto for grocery shopping. I shop at Vons, Albertsons, and Smith's. All are open 24 hours, all use union labor.

botankus
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
Ditto for grocery shopping. I shop at Vons, Albertsons, and Smith's. All are open 24 hours, all use union labor.
I guess I don't live anywhere near you, for I've never heard of any of these stores. There is a Wal-Mart within 3 miles of my house, and I live in a rural town.

I'm also mostly anti-union (mostly), and I've given at least 50 reasons (about the average union hourly wage, in dollars) why in various threads in this forum...but that's a whole different matter entirely.

Soleran
I guess I don't live anywhere near you, for I've never heard of any of these stores. There is a Wal-Mart within 3 miles of my house, and I live in a rural town.

I live in a fairly rural area but am in the Midwest I have heard of a few of those stores.

Preach on Brotha, tell your story of love!

I love reading about walmart and educational videos are a big help as well.

http://www.jibjab.com/originals/originals/jibjab/movieid/122

botankus
The only 24 hour establishments within 5 miles of my house are McDonald's, Wal-Mart, and the Awffle Waffle.

botankus
Many people don't like Wal-Mart. Understandable, and I realize that the salaries and conditions play a big role in their opposition.

However, as strictly a consumer who does 100% of the grocery shopping for my family (and I'm male, thank you very much!), I have noticed that Wal-Mart has consistently lower prices in groceries across the board. I went to Wal-Mart at 12:30 AM Thanksgiving morning and noticed the following differences versus Lowe's Foods, my regular grocery store:

Turkey & Giblets Fancy Feast $0.44 instead of $0.55 (my thanksgiving dinner)
Kraft Mac & Cheese $0.77 instead of $0.99
8 thin-cut pork chops for $5.44 instead of 6 pork chops for roughly the same amount
12-pack of soda $2.75 instead of $4.99

It's like that across the board.

PVS
they are able to underbid and sacrifice profit on those goods through their profits on the majority of goods created through outsourced slave labor. its like buying a lemon car from a dealer and he throws in floor mats at no extra charge.

Darth_Erebus

I'm also mostly anti-union (mostly), and I've given at least 50 reasons (about the average union hourly wage, in dollars) why in various threads in this forum...but that's a whole different matter entirely.

That's just the point. Wal Mart is now probably your only option. Instead of bashing union wages aren't you the least bit concerned that many CEO's now make nine figure salaries with bonuses basically having the same effect on consumer prices as union wages.

botankus
Your point is valid, PVS, but this next piece of information I'm about to give you cannot be challenged in terms of "awesomeness" (sorry, my thesaurus isn't handy), and only Wal-Mart can supply it.

You know those claw machines that are in every pizza joint, arcade, and rigged so you lose at the DisneyWorld resorts? Well, I'm a claw machine junkie. Meaning, I'm the loser who runs over to the machines and empties his pockets of quarters when I see one of them. But I'm smart about it. Case in point...below:

Wal-Mart Supercenters usually have about 5 or 6 claw machines in their entrances. I've tested it out at about 5 Supercenters so far, and so far all five have one $0.25 machine where the claw works really well. I'm talking 3 animals on 6 attempts well. You have to figure out which one it is, but it's usually one of the $0.25 ones, not the $0.50. Try it out.

When you walk out with a mountain of green giraffes and red hippos, you can thank me later.

Soleran
Originally posted by Darth_Erebus
That's just the point. Wal Mart is now probably your only option. Instead of bashing union wages aren't you the least bit concerned that many CEO's now make nine figure salaries with bonuses basically having the same effect on consumer prices as union wages.

ARG CEO pay and bonus's really really bug me, unions bug me less so I'll take them unless of course their CEO's are making sick incomes (probably are.) Insurance companies are only slightly under unions, I'm so angry I'm turning green I tell you!

It's in our current economic system to place short sided economic values over thrift and intelligent future savings, hence Walmart thrives.

WrathfulDwarf
In big cities Wal-Mart doesn't really pose any trouble for anyone. Rural areas or some backwoods town I can see the small businesses not wanting them anywhere around. The simple thing is if you don't like Wal-Mart...don't shop there. Go to Target or K-Mart instead. I mean, if you consider Wal-Mart the big evil doer and Target or K-Mart the innocent angels with halos on top...go shop there...simple.

botankus
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Go to Target or K-Mart instead. I mean, if you consider Wal-Mart the big evil doer and Target or K-Mart the innocent angels with halos on top...go shop there...simple.

It kind of reminds me of those people who think McDonald's is Satan while opening the pearly gates for Burger King, Hardee's (thickburgers galore), and Wendy's.

Soleran
It kind of reminds me of those people who think McDonald's is Satan while opening the pearly gates for Burger King, Hardee's (thickburgers galore), and Wendy's.

dude how can you put Wendy's in there like that, they put tomato and lettuce even on the dollar burgers that tells me they care about my health!

PVS
wendys $ .99 bacon cheeseburger for the win.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by PVS
they are able to underbid and sacrifice profit on those goods through their profits on the majority of goods created through outsourced slave labor.

Other retailers sell the same shit, made by the same people, and could cut their profits too if they wish.

I'm curious, but what products do they sell (that other retailers don't) that are made from slave labor?

Not fighting with ya, just wanted to know.

Last time I was there I saw the same DVD's (superman returns out now!) the same shaving gel (Gillette for sensitive skin, cuz I'm a beyotch), and the same food products (go hot pockets!) that I see in Target, K-Mart, Safeway, etc....

Also, my wife's aunt works in the office back there, and gets paid pretty well, around $10 or $11 per hour, has an easy job, and gets benefits and stock options.

Not bad for a lady with only a H.S. diploma.Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
The simple thing is if you don't like Wal-Mart...don't shop there. Go to Target or K-Mart instead.

Yup. thumb upOriginally posted by PVS
wendys $ .99 bacon cheeseburger for the win. Sonic Double Cheeseburger for the steal! stick out tongue

Soleran
I would imagine more of their cost savings comes in the large/bulk order purchasing they do more then just "slave labor."

Plus they have a good setup in the store to keep you buying to fill up that cart, I mean who buys just one thing at a SUPERCENTER!

I am not familiar with the Sonic Double Cheeseburger I will check it out sometime.

PVS
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Other retailers sell the same shit, made by the same people, and could cut their profits too if they wish.

I'm curious, but what products do they sell (that other retailers dont') that are made from slave labor?

Not fighting with ya, just wanted to know.

Last time I was there i saw the same DVD's (superman returns out now!) the same shaving gel (Gillette for sensitive skin, cuz I'm a beyotch), and the same food products (go hot pockets!) that I see in Target, K-Mart, Safeway, etc....

Also, my wife's aunt works in the office back there, and gets paid pretty well, around $10 or $11 per hour, has an easy job, and gets benefits and stock options.

Not bad for a lady with only a H.S. diploma.

Yup. thumb up Sonic Double Cheeseburger for the steal! stick out tongue

clothing, furniture...anything involving textiles, common houshold supplies...thousands of things as superficial as a broom and dustpan or a toilet seat cover which i dont feel like spending the next 10 years of my life listing. walmart has contracts with slave laboring companies overseas and makes astronomical profit percentages which are probably only matched by columbian drug lords or halliburton

:edit: and for another point brought up in this thread, i looked for any posts defending target or other small town killing megastore chains, and came up dry. please enlighten me

botankus
Originally posted by Soleran
I am not familiar with the Sonic Double Cheeseburger I will check it out sometime.

Dude, it is so good I want to eat the freakin' wrapper when I'm done with it.

And I think those guys in the Hardee's commercials who lick the wrapper are morons. Remember: It's not just good. It's Sonic good.

Green Arrow
I realize Wal-Mart is a scary buisness, it's big, it's powerful, and will eventualy destroy us all. But it's like the Frankenstien monster, we have no-one to blame but ourselves.

Where as smaller buisnesses were greedy and lazy, Wal-Mart took advantage and gave the consumer's cheap prices while still making a profit margin. For example, beef jerky. Directly from the owner, I can get an entire beef jerky bag for a dollar, a fricking dollar!

I expect it to be more from the store as they have to pay for employees and stuff, but six dollars? No.. there's just no excuse.. walmart has it for maybe three dollars, and that's the really good stuff. Wal-Mart would've done that even had it not been the juggarnaut it was, because Wal-Mart knew what made buisness.

No-one has anyone to blame for Wal-Mart's success but thier own failures and inhibitions. I'm not going to break my bank simply to promote small buisness, and besides, what has small buisness ever done for me the consumer?

Thier products are the same thing, just double, maybe even triple the price.

Their workers are just as incompetant as Wal-Mart's.

And "the enviorment" is even worse because it's always these blue state yuppies hanging around them.

I'll take my chances with Wal-Mart.

PVS
thanks botankus, and i hope that sonic corp. remembers to cut that check for you promply

sithsaber408
Originally posted by PVS
thanks botankus, and i hope that sonic corp. remembers to cut that check for you promply

Hey now, lets leave Sonic out of this. stick out tongue

Seriously, if they have one near to where you live, go give 'em a try. They're like In and Out Burger, a new version of a 50's resteraunt.

Some still have the car-hops on skates that come up to your window with the food. cool

Soleran
McDonalds and Walmart have combined in some areas!

Now we have a new world order, move over ministry.

I also wanted to cite the fact in the article the proponents of Walmart stated that by not allowing them to build in San Diego they are limiting consumer choices! What a bunch of marketing hooey.

PVS
Originally posted by Soleran
I also wanted to cite the fact in the article the proponents of Walmart stated that by not allowing them to build in San Diego they are limiting consumer choices!

thats what i declare every time a pot dealer gets busted

BackFire
Damn their low low prices!

Darth_Erebus
This pretty much says it all

Soleran
Lol look at page one it's already on there!

debbiejo
That's no why their prices are low.................It's cause they cut out the middle man.............oh, btw they have the best chicken..............hmmmmm yummie x 1000 times.

Green Arrow
Originally posted by PVS
thats what i declare every time a pot dealer gets busted
The irony is you'd be bitching non-stop if pot was legalized and Wal-Mart sold it at a much more reasonable price. But far that be you to stop purchasing your drug of choice at Wal-Mart.. wink

debbiejo
Walmarts eat up little towns. sad

But the selection.......wow, the selection..........That's why I try not to go.

PVS
you know what whob, after seeing that child rapist posting here, i have to say that you're edge has been dulled. i kinda dont mind you now, considering possible alternatives.

and chances are walmart would sell nothing but mexican dirt weed.
i once got a bottle of water from the walmart vending machine because it was just 50 cents and it tasted like recycled amusement park log flume water. even the water at walmart is crap

debbiejo
I'm eating a pineapple right now from Walmart. It's yummy and was only $2.30..........and good for you too........ big grin

Green Arrow
Originally posted by debbiejo
Walmarts eat up little towns. sad

Maybe that's why I love Wal-Mart so much, they are an avatar to my god!

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~chking/fark/galactus.jpg

botankus
Originally posted by PVS
i once got a bottle of water from the walmart vending machine because it was just 50 cents and it tasted like recycled amusement park log flume water.

Oh, man, that might be in the running for simile of the year.

Kritish
Wal-Mart is full of fat people with strage deformities that can't even do math, and that's just the workers.

botankus
Kritish, that's not a very good argument for the benefits of the workers, unless the general premise is to help people of a handicapped nature.

office jesus
Wal-Mart = Satan.

That is all.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.