Expanded Universe IS relevant . . .

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Heinous
George Lucas sometimes uses stuff from EU. Exar Kun was the Dark Lord of the Sith to use a double-bladed lightsaber. The Sith War was written years before The Phantom Menace. There are other revelevant things from EU that George uses. However, instead of pointing them out, I'll let you find them and post them here. Cheers!

Jedimaster3838
Thank you DH!!! I love the EU almost as much as the movies. While the stuff may not be cannon it is very important to the Star Wars universe. I know Coruscant comes from the EU and who knows what else Lucas will use. I don't think an EU character will play a large role in any movie, but I would love to see one in a cameo, or just by name mention only.

Gundark
I'm reading the EU in order of publication and I'm missing some, so when I'm finished I'll have to get back to you on this one. smile

Ratcat
The only problem with the EU is that if Lucas decides something doesn't fit in with what he's going for Episode-II/III then he'll just ignore it.

Boba Fetss origins are a key case in point.

I think that after Episode-III is released, then all EU moving forward will be considered cannon.

Jedimaster3838
That does bring up an interesting point. After the films are released will the authors of the EU change anything that the movies say differently about. For example, if Naboo is somehow destroyed will the EU mention that anywhere? And the EU has said the Stormtroopers were recruited but they may turn out to be clones, will they go back and say they were clones, or will they sort of ignore it?

UnknownBountyHunter
I think that the authors were smart about this, and haven't set out any forked pathes for us to follow. They were leaving Lucas to the BIG details (Naboo's Fate, The Clones whereabouts). About Boba Fett however, that was a disastrous call to have two different stories behind it. But how do we even know what Lucas said about him? I don't remember Lucas mentioning anything about Boba's past.

JediOasis
Thats just it, Lucas hasn't said anything about Fett's past. I think it was McCallum who said "Forget everything you know about Bobba Fett."

UnknownBountyHunter
Ah, I see. Well than we can't really forget everything until we hear the truth. I think McCallum is just taking us for a joyride in circles. Isn't he the one that said all the fan sites and forums were totally off on the new episode. I think McCallum is a dumb ****.

Ratcat
Also, I believe it was posted on the Official Website in their Jedi Council.

COREWORLD
I was just wondering if one day GL will release what would have been Episodes VII-IX as a series of books? It's looking real doubtful that he will ever get around to doing them as feature films as it takes upwards on a decade to prep/film them, so this would be one way of completing the saga, either way it sounds like a novel idea. (Groan!)

UnknownBountyHunter
Does GL have kids? I think so. One of his children could direct the future trilogy sometime later. Have any of you seen the movie The Dark Crystal? The maker of that has a son who is doing the sequel, and in the same type of movie-making process. (Puppets-Art animation)

JediOasis
I am pretty sure that Lucas has said over and over again that he would not allow anyone else to make a Star Wars film, and I don't think his kids would go against that after he dies(hopefully not for a long, LONG time). And I know that he said after EP 3 he was done with the saga.

UnknownBountyHunter
I don't think GL is that stingy. His coulds, if wanting to pursue the career of being in a director's seat, can continue with it if they want. I am sure GL wouldn't be against his own family if they wanted to continue it. (Maybe along the assistance of GL).

JediOasis
I hate to be persistent, but I am almost positive Lucas has said rather firmly that Star Wars movies ended with him. I would love for his kids or maybe Speilberg or someone to continue the saga, but I don't think it will happen. I guess in a couple years all we'll have is the EU, which isn't so bad.

Darth Heinous
Originally the Star War saga was supposed to have twelve episodes! Gerge Lucas cut it down to nine, then to six. Perhaps he'll write episodes 7 - 12 as novels.

Ushgarak
GL orignally said the Star Wars saga was 9 episodes, with three extra episodes possible that dealt with some of the characters rather than the main plot. he dumped that idea quite quickly, and lost heart in doing a (rather pointless) final three more recently.

It is also clear that George cares very, VERY little for the Expanded Universe. And why should he? If I created a Universe, I might be willing to make money out of it by licensing it out, but there is no way I'd let anyone else make an intellectual contribution.

Any EU plotpoint that made it to the big screen only did so because it was in George Lucas' early notes, scripts or books- Coruscant is such an example.

Be very sure. Lucasfilm and Mr. McCallum have been issuing statements about Boba Fett because they are creating a VERY different background for him. Any other EU plot point in the way will get a similar chop.

GL did try to plan ahead to stop this happening, by creating lots of "Off-limits" zones for the book writers- the CLone Wars are such an example. But either he forgot to put such a ban on Fett, or he didn't originally intend to bring him back.

But EU fans shouldn't be at all worried. Just enjoy what you enjoy- if it isn't relevant to the films, so what? Persoanlly, I dislike much of the EU output, for all sorts of reasons, but it's all just personal. But the fact is that any relevance they have to the main films is very, very circumstantial at best.

theEviljedi
Wasn't Dash Rendar's Outlander added in the Mos Eisely escape scene in the Special Editions?

Ratcat
Yeah it was, and haven't I said that like 10 times before in other posts?

http://www.theforce.net/swse/anh/longmose.JPG

finti
Very nice detective work there guy`s. Now I have to go back and slow motion the entire scene. This means I have to watch all four movies all over again. COOL!!! rolling on floor laughing

theEviljedi
Well EXSQUEEZ me.

Jedi Mercenary
me and DD are having this same argument over in that 10,000 jedi topic, he thinks that if it's not in the movies it's not relevent.

{EDITED BY DIM}
LAST PART WASN'T NEEDED TO MAKE YOUR POINT, MERC.

JediOasis
Its not that its irrelevant, its just not as important whats in the movie. I love reading the books almost as much as watching the movies, but we can't take whats in them seriously as cannon.

Jedi Mercenary
yes we can. Another examplke of GL borrowing from EU, in the game Jedi Knight, you get an ability called "force speed", now, we see the same force speed in TPM. NOTE: Jedi Knight was made in 1995.

Dim
How do we know that it wasn't GL's idea in the first place..for all we know it might be listed on some character document at LFL that is handed out as information to project managers.

Jedi Mercenary
maybe GL had a little something to do with the game himself laughing out loud , <sigh> yeah, right

Ratcat
Both points are well seen. BUT EU is a part of the Star Wars UNIVERSE and so are the movies. BUT the movies are NOT the Star Wars Universe, they are a part of the whole.

15 hours of Movie do not constitue the whole. Some are happy with just the movies. Others want to go deeper, that's what the EU is for...

BTW, why has this thread got an almost twin in the Ep2&3 forum?

Jedi Mercenary
"And I can fly higher than an eagle"

Tifa Lockhart Strife
What about the double-bladed lightsaber? Exar Kun was using it long before Episode 1 was being written. Also Kun used two lightsabers at the same time. I'm sure George will have Darth Tyrannus use two lightsabers at once.

Ratcat
Maybe. Luke uses two sabres briefly in Dark Tide I, but the strain on him is great.

Darn spelling mistakes!!!

Ushgarak
Actually, Darth Maul was originally penned in as using two sabres. But none of that stuff is really so unique as to constitute official book-to-movie status- it's all based on much older ideas, anyhow.

And Force Speed is hardly a massive leap of imagination, is it? It would be one of the first powers I would have thought up, Jedi Knight or no Jedi Knight.

Factually speaking, EU sources do not count for the 'true' Star Wars continuity.

However, as I have said in the Episode II and III topic, I am officially conceeding this argument so as not to offend the EU lovers any more. It's just not worth it.

Jedi Mercenary
oh, c'mon Ushgrak, I love arguing with you

Ushgarak
Oh, well, maybe just a little bit then.

I refer people reading this topic over to its sister topic in the Ep 2+3 forum, where I have made a post detailing exactlywhat I am babbling on about when talk about 'canon' policy.

Ratcat
One or the other of these two needs to be closed. I'm getting dizzy flipping between the two!!!!

Jedi Mercenary
Keep 'em both!! It's fun!!

Ratcat
OK, but if I fall over..... laughing out loud

Jedi Mercenary
I can't save you, you're the wind beneath MY wings, remember??

Ratcat
Yeah, I'm STILL trying to figure that one out.

queeq
It means he wuvs you. laughing out loud

Ratcat
Sorry queeq, in this forum OT means Original Trilogy, NOT Off Topic!!!

Jedi Mercenary
yeah, queeq, go speak your non-sensical gibberish in the GDF

Ratcat
See, cos apparently I now have ultimate power over this part of the forum, though I don't intend to let it go to my head. smile

Zareil
Hate to say it about GL but he is always changing his mind anyway. Anyhow I always appreciate the EU but it is always dependent to what extent. I mean personally I get all the comics games and Books, not as a fan boy but out of interest in how it is posible to continue to renterpret and show different sides to the same galaxy. Besides which Lucas apparently has to read eveything and authorise its print and as such must accpt it as the mentality of his universe.

Ushgarak
Fair point, but GLs vetting is really weak. he just doesn't have the motivation. Aside from the 'stay away from' rules he laid down (which weren't even sufficient- Boba Fett!), he has had very little input on the EU, one way or the other.

Zareil
Easy to say but then his ability to maintain his own vision of the Star Wars universe is limited and weak and also tends to have a limited time frame before alteration.

Ushgarak
How dare you knock the mighty one! GL is King, and he had the whole story mapped out from '73 onwards and never changed hismind about the plot once...
Honest.

Zareil
you lie sir.. But yes he is king... just as I stand as your apprentice.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.