KMC Discrimination

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SpunkySmurph
Ok... I've finally had enough.

During my time spent on KMC, it's become blatantly clear to me that there is an abundance of discrimination.

Not racial, age or sexist discrimination. It's actually cultural, and apparently geographical.

Everybody on here seems to have a grudge... against Canada.

Apparently we get a bad name from the two Canadian-based themes around here.

First, is, obviously, Wolverine. For some reason he's always refferred to as a 'five foot two hairy canadian'. The 'Canadian' is always added in. As if it adds to his least of bestial perverseness. Couldnt you people come up with a better adjective then 'Canadian'? Like, 'walking plot device', 'human cutlery' or even 'mutant' (Though I don't like the last one as much as mine)

Secondly, theres Alpha Flight. The main problem with these people is that they're known for the fact that know one knows about them. Except for Mungi. Who, despite his valiant efforts, hasn't even gotten a person to remember most of the names of the actual people in it.

Is that it? Or is there something more personal that you all harbor against my country? Did we win the 'Coldest Piece of Inhabited Land' award, and you were runner up?

canadian We have plenty to offer. You're all just jealous.

Canada, and it's amazingly powerful superheros trump the majority of the small-time heroes out there.

Respect Canada!

Martian_mind
No

bigbran
Originally posted by SpunkySmurph
First, is, obviously, Wolverine. For some reason he's always refferred to as a 'five foot two hairy canadian'. The 'Canadian' is always added in. As if it adds to his least of bestial perverseness. Couldnt you people come up with a better adjective then 'Canadian'? Like, 'walking plot device', 'human cutlery' or even 'mutant' (Though I don't like the last one as much as mine)
I know, it's just like when people on the news add, "an African American..." or, "An Asian...".

long pig
How can anyone hate Canada? They're so nice.

They don't even lock their friggin' doors!

xmarksthespot
It's a well known fact that Canadian is a legal disability.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by long pig
How can anyone hate Canada? They're so nice.

They don't even lock their friggin' doors!

I see that you've seen Bowling for Columbine

Originally posted by bigbran
I know, it's just like when people on the news add, "an African American..." or, "An Asian...".

glare I can't tell whether youre agreeing with me or making fun of me.

Knowing you though...

xmarksthespot

Knowing you though... Knowing me, knowing you. Aha. There is nothing we can do.

bigbran
Originally posted by Martian_mind
No Well, I respect retards, so I won't say anything mean to you.

But, how can you hate a whole country? Has the whole place killed your dog, and raped your family or something?

long pig

Knowing you though...
I could take over that whole country with a pocket knife. I love the place, though. I spend at least a month out of the year there when I go fishing.

Awesome place, no b.sing.

bigbran

Knowing you though... Umm... I'm from Canada...

long pig
Now, mexico. That place ****ing sucks.

xmarksthespot
I could take over that whole country with a pocket knife. I love the place, though. I spend at least a month out of the year there when I go fishing.

Awesome place, no b.sing. They own a lot of guns though. They're just not as prone to killing each other with them.

SpunkySmurph
Umm... I'm from Canada...

Now, now, don't make the Smurph look stupid just because he doesn't pay attention.

long pig
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
They own a lot of guns though. They're just not as prone to killing each other with them.
Exactly. What a bunch of poofs.

bigbran
Now, now, don't make the Smurph look stupid just because he doesn't pay attention. Anyway...

Accel
Canada

xmarksthespot
Exactly. What a bunch of poofs. Poofs with guns! Sounds like a comic in the making.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Accel
Canada

Ha, we would take Turkey with ease cool

Accel
Poofs with guns! Sounds like a comic in the making.
More like a sitcom.

SpunkySmurph

Awesome place, no b.sing.

See?

More disrespect!!!

You would need at least two pocket knives. disgust

long pig
The whole country needs to see a dentist, though. Free healthcare be damned.

SpunkySmurph
It's a well known fact that Canadian is a legal disability.

Would you make fun of a superhero called Wheelchair-Man?

Wait... don't answer that no expression

SpunkySmurph
The whole country needs to see a dentist, though. Free healthcare be damned.

Where are you from?

xmarksthespot
Would you make fun of a superhero called Wheelchair-Man?

Wait... don't answer that no expression Is he Canadian?

Badabing

During my time spent on KMC, it's become blatantly clear to me that there is an abundance of discrimination.

Not racial, age or sexist discrimination. It's actually cultural, and apparently geographical.

Secondly, theres Alpha Flight. The main problem with these people is that they're known for the fact that know one knows about them. Except for Mungi. Who, despite his valiant efforts, hasn't even gotten a person to remember most of the names of the actual people in it.

Is that it? Or is there something more personal that you all harbor against my country? Did we win the 'Coldest Piece of Inhabited Land' award, and you were runner up?

Canada, and it's amazingly powerful superheros trump the majority of the small-time heroes out there.

Respect Canada!
Wolverine is a 5'2" hairy Canuck. Is that better? shifty

SpunkySmurph
Is he Canadian?

Maybe... shifty

Originally posted by Badabing
Wolverine is a 5'2" hairy Canuck. Is that better? shifty

It's a start...? ermm

Kinneary
Honestly, no one really cares about Canada enough to insult it consistently. This is all in your mind.

xmarksthespot
Maybe... shifty Then he's already suffering from far worse than I could ever inflict on him.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Kinneary
Honestly, no one really cares about Canada enough to insult it consistently. This is all in your mind.

mad Oh, so now all Canadians are mental patients!!!

Your and your hate...

SpunkySmurph
Then he's already suffering from far worse than I could ever inflict on him.

What if I told you he lived in a gumdrop house?

xmarksthespot
What if I told you he lived in a gumdrop house? I'd tell you to get the hell out of my house you crippled poof with a gun.

long pig
Canadians are all super liberal and PC. I once called a guy a ****** ass queen-boy and got the stink eye from the entire church we were in.

Bullshits I tells ya'.

long pig
I'd tell you to get the hell out of my house you crippled poof with a gun.
Why, there is no reason to fear them. It's not like those poof's balls have lowered enough to actually USE the damn gun.

xmarksthespot
Why, there is no reason to fear them. It's not like those poof's balls have lowered enough to actually USE the damn gun. But he's in the process of Canadianising it... a fate worse than death...

SpunkySmurph
I'd tell you to get the hell out of my house you crippled poof with a gun.

laughing

Wait...

You've labeled me as the cripple no expression

(I'm all right with the poof thing though)

xmarksthespot
(I'm all right with the poof thing though) To be fair you can't really help it. Being Canadian and all...

long pig
It's true. A Canadian must poof to survive.

SpunkySmurph
It occurred to me that nobody's made an "Eh" joke yet... no expression

SpunkySmurph
Why, there is no reason to fear them. It's not like those poof's balls have lowered enough to actually USE the damn gun.

I don't think it's fear...

Though I'm still trying to grasp Canadian racism...

xmarksthespot
I don't think it's fear...

Though I'm still trying to grasp Canadian racism... Well you're Canadian. It's hard for you to grasp things. Don't be too hard on yourself.

SpunkySmurph
Well you're Canadian. It's hard for you to grasp things. Don't be too hard on yourself.

What did Canadians ever do to the Gingerbread men?

(Assuming that that's what you gumdrop-freaks call yourselves What the f**k? )

SpunkySmurph
smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Canadian_superheroes

grey fox
Canada's not that bad , it's just..well... you guy's are part french and that just makes you a teeeeeeeeny bit lower down on my country list.

bigbran
Originally posted by grey fox
Canada's not that bad , it's just..well... you guy's are part french and that just makes you a teeeeeeeeny bit lower down on my country list. The Quebec ones.
They even want to leave the Country, so they don't count as people...

Baldey
We don't hate Canadions. We love them. They to damned nice by half.

Better than America ay...

Psyquis52
Personally I'm a big fan of Canada. They given us some awesome comedians.

John Candy for instance (may he rest in peace)

StarsNeverFall7
From Canada eh?

Canadas a great place, I eventually want to move there. I think the mockery of Wolverine doesn't necessarily stem from him being Canadian, but more so mockery of his fanboys.

Canada does put out the best professional wrestlers though thats for damn sure...

batdude123
BLAME CANADA!!!

BLAME CANADA!!!!

stick out tongue

DigiMark007
Some fun facts about Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L37rwcg8EY

shifty

King_Mungi
Canadian inventions:
1. http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/Canadian.htm
2. http://www3.sympatico.ca/taniah/Canada/things/

Famous Canadians:
1. http://www.canadians.ca/

xmarksthespot
Aww, look. He thinks he's people. doped

batdude123
Aww, look. He thinks he's people. doped

hysterical2

Badabing
Originally posted by batdude123
BLAME CANADA!!!

BLAME CANADA!!!!

stick out tongue
Yeah! mad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1jmylH2WmQ&mode=related&search=

stick out tongue laughing

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by StarsNeverFall7
From Canada eh?

Canadas a great place, I eventually want to move there. I think the mockery of Wolverine doesn't necessarily stem from him being Canadian, but more so mockery of his fanboys.

Canada does put out the best professional wrestlers though thats for damn sure...

eek! Somebody made an 'Eh?' joke!

About Wolverine: I know. But Canada gets brought down with Wolverine. He hardly goes to Canada anyways. He shouldnt count. no expression

inamilist
Canada is the freaking best

EVER

Scoobless

Yeah ..... but come on ... it is Canada we're talking about.

But, how can you hate a whole country? Has the whole place killed your dog, and raped your family or something?

I swore I'd never talk about that again....cry

Badabing
Lemieux & Gretzky>>>>>Wolverine

Jyppe
Canada gets no respect from me untill the next time you defeat us in hockey! Even though I'm propably dead by then. From old age. And I plan to be deep frozen. And then I'll travel through time. :P

Soljer
Ahhh...Canada.

"The land which our explorers saw to the north and thought, 'NAHHHH' "

willRules

At the risk of sounding patronisingly obvious, have you considered the fact that maybe these people weren't so much insulting Canada as Wolverine or Alpha Flight? confused

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by willRules
At the risk of sounding patronisingly obvious, have you considered the fact that maybe these people weren't so much insulting Canada as Wolverine or Alpha Flight? confused

Yeah. But my point is that Canada seems to be brought down with all of these heroes. It ruins our image. canadian

willRules
Yeah. But my point is that Canada seems to be brought down with all of these heroes. It ruins our image. canadian

Don't worry, I for one won't insult Canada........as long as they don't create any more lame superheroes........... big grin

The Fake Macoy
No, I say we feel free to discriminate against Canada and those crazy Canadians... I mean, all Canadians must be mad, and someone's got to stop them... WHO'S WITH ME?!!! Wait a minute...

The Pict
Canada should come back under British rule. That is all.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by willRules
Don't worry, I for one won't insult Canada........as long as they don't create any more lame superheroes........... big grin

Psssssh.

Your just jealous that the Canadian heroes could dominate against the majority of anybody that you have to offer. stick out tongue

'Cause... I mean... Wolverine has, ya' know... claws. no expression

inamilist
Originally posted by The Pict
Canada should come back under British rule. That is all.

thats the most disgusting thing I've heard today

The Pict
Originally posted by inamilist

laughing out loud Jeez man....taking things a bit serious here are we?

SpunkySmurph

QFT

canadian >>>>>>>> euro

The Pict
I think I know why the yanks are looking down on you. No humour.

inamilist
I think I know why the yanks are looking down on you. No humour.

apparently sarcasm is lost on the english...

possibly it is a savage form of humor from the new world?

canadian >>>>>>>> euro

and then some

The Pict
apparently sarcasm is lost on the english...

possibly it is a savage form of humor from the new world?

I'm not English, and sarcasm isn't lost on the Brits We're the masters of it.

Now chill out and try not to get so defensive over a joking comment.

Lord Urizen
Get over yourself.

There is far more discrimination on KMC then just against Canadians. What makes discrimination against you so special ?

I'd be flattered to be compared to Wolverine. There are far worse insults, and for you to go crying over something that childish is absurd.

Soljer
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Get over yourself.

There is far more discrimination on KMC then just against Canadians. What makes discrimination against you so special ?

I'd be flattered to be compared to Wolverine. There are far worse insults, and for you to go crying over something that childish is absurd.

I do believe the thread was a joke. No need to attack him over it.

The Pict
Originally posted by Soljer
I do believe the thread was a joke. No need to attack him over it.

thumb up

Scoobless
shifty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BNvwXNJWH0

evil face

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Get over yourself.

laughing

... erm

Out of the two of us, I'm laughing and you're getting steamed up or something that really shouldn't be taken to be serious in any way.

So to get all PO'ed and accuse me of crying over a joke is just a tad hypocritical, don't ya' think?

Lord Urizen
laughing

... erm

Out of the two of us, I'm laughing and you're getting steamed up or something that really shouldn't be taken to be serious in any way.

So to get all PO'ed and accuse me of crying over a joke is just a tad hypocritical, don't ya' think?

My apologies. I thought you meant it. I was thinking, "WTF ? IS THIS GUY SERIOUSS?"

long pig
The thing that's awesome about Canadians is that they are fiercely patriotic and also way too polite. So, when you make fun of their country, instead of flipping you the finger like any red blooded American, they try to inform you on the greatness of their country.

American: "Haha. Your country is stupid!"

Canadian: "Eh? No, my friend. We have a wonderful country! Here, I have some material I'd like you to read. Have a blessed day!"

American: "Stay...away...from...me.... -runs-"

long pig
Originally posted by King_Mungi
Canadian inventions:
1. http://inventors.about.com/od/cstartinventions/a/Canadian.htm
2. http://www3.sympatico.ca/taniah/Canada/things/

Famous Canadians:
1. http://www.canadians.ca/
Ahaha.
I swear I didn't know how right I really was.

bigbran
The thing that's awesome about Canadians is that they are fiercely patriotic and also way too polite. So, when you make fun of their country, instead of flipping you the finger like any red blooded American, they try to inform you on the greatness of their country.

American: "Haha. Your country is stupid!"

Canadian: "Eh? No, my friend. We have a wonderful country! Here, I have some material I'd like you to read. Have a blessed day!"

American: "Stay...away...from...me.... -runs-" F*ck you....

no expression

Dreampanther
You mean Canada is a real place? confused

I always thought it was just a made-up country that only exists in Marvel-land, like Genosha or Gotham City in DC-World... You mean there is an actual real place, that actually really exists, where they make great superheroes and then run out of material half-way through and send them out in the world anyway, even though they now have the Little People version of a superhero?

Wait, don't they have two somewhat well-known vertically-challenged superheroes? And isn't Northstar famous for being the first superhero with an openly "alternative lifestyle"?

Are you sure Canda is real, and not just a made-up place? And if it is real, why would you ever admit to being Canadian? stick out tongue

The following is extremely funny, but please don't read if you easily take offence in religious matters:

Why Can't I Own a Canadian? http://www.humanistsofutah.org/2002/WhyCantIOwnACanadian_10-02.html

bigbran
Originally posted by Dreampanther
You mean Canada is a real place? confused

I always thought it was just a made-up country that only exists in Marvel-land, like Genosha or Gotham City in DC-World... You mean there is an actual real place, that actually really exists, where they make great superheroes and then run out of material half-way through and send them out in the world anyway, even though they now have the Little People version of a superhero?

Wait, don't they have two somewhat well-known vertically-challenged superheroes? And isn't Northstar famous for being the first superhero with an openly "alternative lifestyle"?

Are you sure Canda is real, and not just a made-up place? And if it is real, why would you ever admit to being Canadian? stick out tongue Originally posted by bigbran
F*ck you....

no expression

Dreampanther
Nice comeback.

inamilist
I'm not English, and sarcasm isn't lost on the Brits We're the masters of it.

Now chill out and try not to get so defensive over a joking comment.

possibly, I should say this more clearly:

I have been being sarcastic

long pig
Everyone agrees it's the prettiest place in north america. Good people, good government and HORRIBLE food. I mean, shit. They basically deepfry fat and cover it with ranch dressing. That whole country probably has diabetes or heart disease.

bigbran
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Nice comeback. Speaking of cum back...Originally posted by long pig
Everyone agrees it's the prettiest place in north america. Good people, good government and HORRIBLE food. I mean, shit. They basically deepfry fat and cover it with ranch dressing. That whole country probably has diabetes or heart disease. Isn't US the fattest country in the world?

DDurand
I don't know if it's discrimination, but it's a US comics board (only US comics are know and discussed here). What you expect ? Respect for others ? You have NEVER read Marvel, he ?

For US citizen, canada are the rednecks of the rednecks. You are a little country who no really need them, have more natural ressources (that REALLY the wrong thing to do when your foreigners are US wink ), speak French (the horror !) have a strong population of amerindians and LET THEM have powers (US citizen can't understand that), and have some "states" that are more rich than the richest US states.

More : You had a war with them... and they have lost.

I'm French. And i don't see French comics discussed here. I don't see Japan comics (who have a LOT of super-powered characters). Don't see italians.

It's First Marvel.
Second DC.
Third independant US, and only US, editors.

That's all.

You need to know that for US super-heroes editors, writers and readers, comics are, and are ONLY, super-heroes (it's always stated in no-US essays on super-heroes). And for them, there are super-heroes only in USA.

That's all.

I don't think this is discrimination. But on a board where we talk at 99,9999 % Marvel and DC things, don't expect others Canadian characters than Alpha Flight and Woverine, even if they don't are the most know "canadian" superheroes in Canada (it's probably Captain Canuck).

grey fox
Originally posted by DDurand
I don't know if it's discrimination, but it's a US comics board (only US comics are know and discussed here). What you expect ? Respect for others ? You have NEVER read Marvel, he ?

For US citizen, canada are the rednecks of the rednecks. You are a little country who no really need them, have more natural ressources (that REALLY the wrong thing to do when your foreigners are US wink ), speak French (the horror !) have a strong population of amerindians and LET THEM have powers (US citizen can't understand that), and have some "states" that are more rich than the richest US states.

I'm French. And i don't see French comics discussed here. I don't see Japan comics (who have a LOT of super-powered characters). Don't see italians.

It's First Marvel.
Second DC.

That's all.

You need to know that for US super-heroes editors, writers and readers, comics are, and are ONLY, super-heroes (it's always stated in no-US essays on super-heroes). And for them, there are super-heroes only in USA.

That's all.

That is the BIGGEST pile of BS i've ever read.

Dinalfos
I love Canada. Does that help?

Badabing
I don't like Smurphs, especially spunky ones. no expression

stick out tongue

Baldey

It's First Marvel.
Second DC.

That's all.

That's all.

I don't think this is discrimination. But on a board where we talk at 99,9999 % Marvel and DC things, don't expect others Canadian characters than Alpha Flight and Woverine, even if they don't are the most know "canadian" superheroes in Canada (it's probably Captain Canuck).

Yo frog go to another board then. We all might feel beter. Our Canadion friend can stay know.

inamilist
Originally posted by grey fox
That is the BIGGEST pile of BS i've ever read.

yes, yes it is

DDurand
Wow. the "frog" name. And you, my anglo-saxon friends, ask why the world don't like you ? You dare ask ?

If i write "bullshit", try to argument. Yes, just try. If you can.

Or, it's just you racist heart who heard "french" ? Hey, sorry, men. Have freedom fries cookie.

Dinalfos
The following does not compute:

1: your bullshit
2: your crap
3: your nonsense
4: your garbage
5: your Frenchisms.

Alfheim

Respect Canada!

Well Alpha Flight have always been one of my favourite super heroes belive it or not. Im blantantly biased towards them

Originally posted by Psyquis52
Personally I'm a big fan of Canada. They given us some awesome comedians.

John Candy for instance (may he rest in peace)

.....and actors. Dan Akroyd is from Canada, you know Ghostbusters, Blues Brothers...

Baldey
Wow. the "frog" name. And you, my anglo-saxon friends, ask why the world don't like you ? You dare ask ?

Or, it's just you racist heart who heard "french" ? Hey, sorry, men. Have freedom fries cookie.

We don't feel like wasting our intelligence on obviously dumber people.

Like us ? What the hell do you think I am ? American ?

Racist ? I am not racist I just don't like you.

Badabing
Originally posted by Dinalfos
The following does not compute:

1: your bullshit
2: your crap
3: your nonsense
4: your garbage
5: your Frenchisms.
What Dinalflos said.

inamilist

I guess if you are begging for someone to....

This isn't an argument. This is a biased generalization of how Americans behave on the internet. And it is wrong. As a Canadian I have been nothing but welcomed here, and nationality is certainly the last thing that has ever mattered when socializing on these boards.

As to the Marvel comment, they have a broad array of characters that are based out of many other nations, including Europe (soon to be France) and Africa. They also have numerous characters from other parts of the world.

Why is it based in America, well, thats where their money comes from. They don't hate you, you just aren't their sugar daddy.

Compared with all other nations, or even unions of nations, canada and america have a FANTASTIC relationship. It is to our benefit to have such strong economical ties with them, and really, they dont care about natives and the french.

What have the real issues been between american and Canada? Softwood lumber tarrifs, Medical and farm subsidies, gay marrige and pot legalization. WOW, we must really hate eachother. look at them discriminate against us.

ok, that was 200 years ago, we have all mostly moved on since then

oh, and we compleatly burnt the crap out of their white house smilesmile

I wonder why this is...

oh wait, french comics aren't popular enough to SELL in america, so you are critiszing people of not knowing something they have no legal access to, and hold on... PEOPLE IN AMERICA DONT SPEAK FRENCH.

Well, I guess it is highly racist of me to not know both of the Chinese dialects and keep up with the nuances of a localized niche publication genre in a foreign country.

Ive seen people discuss polish and hungarian heroes here, and Marvel india isnt all that rare. You are compleatly out to lunch with this one.

And Japanese comics have their own boards here.

It's First Marvel.
Second DC.

That's all.

wow, what an excellent and provocative point. hmmmm, well, I am a Man-Thing fan, and nobody here talks about him...

This could be either because they dont know him, because they dont like him, or because they are prejudice against the idea of a swamp creature in general.

my bet is on the illogical prejudice (and for the brits, this last set of points has been sarcasm).

That's all.

When have you tried to write something about non US heroes that wasn't allowed?

I'd understand if people dont speak your language or know of heroes popular in other countries, but there is nothing stopping you from making a respect thread about them. Hell, post some french scans of good issues or whatever, I'll try to read it.

LOL, ill get my bilingual girlfriend to read them too me smile

ok, good, we understand its not discrimination... now we need a discussion of microeconomics stick out tongue

and wolverine is the most popular Canadian hero, probably in Canada also. Captain Canuck (isnt it Johnny Canuck?) is a joke for the most part. We only recognize it nationally because it was created and published by a canadian company.

Oh ya, Superman was created by a Canadian iirc

Badabing
I guess if you are begging for someone to....

This isn't an argument. This is a biased generalization of how Americans behave on the internet. And it is wrong. As a Canadian I have been nothing but welcomed here, and nationality is certainly the last thing that has ever mattered when socializing on these boards.

As to the Marvel comment, they have a broad array of characters that are based out of many other nations, including Europe (soon to be France) and Africa. They also have numerous characters from other parts of the world.

Why is it based in America, well, thats where their money comes from. They don't hate you, you just aren't their sugar daddy.

Compared with all other nations, or even unions of nations, canada and america have a FANTASTIC relationship. It is to our benefit to have such strong economical ties with them, and really, they dont care about natives and the french.

What have the real issues been between american and Canada? Softwood lumber tarrifs, Medical and farm subsidies, gay marrige and pot legalization. WOW, we must really hate eachother. look at them discriminate against us.

ok, that was 200 years ago, we have all mostly moved on since then

oh, and we compleatly burnt the crap out of their white house smilesmile

I wonder why this is...

oh wait, french comics aren't popular enough to SELL in america, so you are critiszing people of not knowing something they have no legal access to, and hold on... PEOPLE IN AMERICA DONT SPEAK FRENCH.

Well, I guess it is highly racist of me to not know both of the Chinese dialects and keep up with the nuances of a localized niche publication genre in a foreign country.

Ive seen people discuss polish and hungarian heroes here, and Marvel india isnt all that rare. You are compleatly out to lunch with this one.

And Japanese comics have their own boards here.

wow, what an excellent and provocative point. hmmmm, well, I am a Man-Thing fan, and nobody here talks about him...

This could be either because they dont know him, because they dont like him, or because they are prejudice against the idea of a swamp creature in general.

my bet is on the illogical prejudice (and for the brits, this last set of points has been sarcasm).

When have you tried to write something about non US heroes that wasn't allowed?

I'd understand if people dont speak your language or know of heroes popular in other countries, but there is nothing stopping you from making a respect thread about them. Hell, post some french scans of good issues or whatever, I'll try to read it.

LOL, ill get my bilingual girlfriend to read them too me smile

ok, good, we understand its not discrimination... now we need a discussion of microeconomics stick out tongue

and wolverine is the most popular Canadian hero, probably in Canada also. Captain Canuck (isnt it Johnny Canuck?) is a joke for the most part. We only recognize it nationally because it was created and published by a canadian company.

Wow, the French guy has just been:
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j241/Badabing_2006/owned_short_bus.jpg

Baldey
I f**king love that guy now.

Scoobless
As a Canadian I have ....

*Punches inamilist in the balls*

Quick, he's a Canadian! ... GET HIM!!!!

evil face

Baldey
Your a evil evil man Scoob. Its why I love you !! evil face

inamilist
Originally posted by Scoobless

evil face

NOOOOOOO

why does that always happen?

Scoobless

Meh .... I wouldn't worry about it, burning people in swamps is a favourite pastime for people in the UK

smile

Badabing

evil face
laughing eek! laughing
Damn, now that's COLD and very FUNNY!

srankmissingnin
I'd be bitter about Canada if I was an American. You guys tried to invade use three times in the War of 1812 and three times Canada repelled you... I mean what kind of pussies can't even beat Canada in a war? evil face

Soljer
laughing eek! laughing
Damn, now that's COLD and very FUNNY!

Stop laughing and get to work! The Canadian still draws breath!

Soljer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I'd be bitter about Canada if I was an American. You guys tried to invade use three times in the War of 1812 and three times Canada repelled you... I mean what kind of pussies can't even beat Canada in a war? evil face

Except for, you know, that being TWO HUNDRED years ago, the Americans first burned the entire friggin city of Toronto(the capital of Upper Canda at the time).

Also, the Canadians didn't raze Washington. The British did.

whistle

Badabing
Stop laughing and get to work! The Canadian still draws breath!
You're right! He still flapping his head around. sp_ike

Soljer

laughing

South park....

The Pict

laughing out loud

srankmissingnin
Except for, you know, that being TWO HUNDRED years ago, the Americans first burned the entire friggin city of Toronto(the capital of Upper Canda at the time).

Also, the Canadians didn't raze Washington. The British did.

whistle

Good riddance! I hate Toronto, it's full of a bunch of naive, bleeding heart liberals...

What would it take for Bush to send some troops over to burn it down again?

Soljer
Good riddance! I hate Toronto, it's full of a bunch of naive, bleeding heart liberals...

What would it take for Bush to send some troops over to burn it down again?

laughing

Probably not much. Just have someone explain (in nice, short words) how much Oil canda has.

Bush'll be there in a heartbeat.

srankmissingnin
laughing

Probably not much. Just have someone explain (in nice, short words) how much Oil canda has.

Bush'll be there in a heartbeat.

No! That will sent him to Alberta and leave Ontario unscathed. sad

Soljer
No! That will sent him to Alberta and leave Ontario unscathed. sad

Bush won't know the difference between one part of 'Canadia' and another.

srankmissingnin

I was worried there for a second embarrasment

inamilist

reminds me of a picture from an american news paper i was a few years ago from a nafta conference

It was Bush, Vincente Fox (PM of Mexico) and it think Paul Martin (Canadian PM at the time) walking along some pyrimid thing in Mexico engaged in talks

the caption read something like:

"Fox and bush discuss foreign policy matters, the man on the right has yet to be identified"

inamilist
Meh .... I wouldn't worry about it, burning people in swamps is a favourite pastime for people in the UK

smile

is this to ward off the knights who say "ni"? smile

srankmissingnin
Does DC have any characters with Canadian heritage? I can't think of a single one

Soljer
Does DC have any characters with Canadian heritage? I can't think of a single one

eek!

So THAT'S why DC is the better company....I had wondered for ages.

srankmissingnin
eek!

So THAT'S why DC is the better company....I had wondered for ages.

Well it certainly doesn't have anything to with capabilities of their writers. wink

Soljer
Well it certainly doesn't have anything to with capabilities of their writers. wink

no

Of course not. stick out tongue.

SpunkySmurph

Well, I think the closest we come is this:

Which is pretty damn good, IMO

King_Mungi
"Did Canadians create the whole superhero genre?"
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Study/4273/begin.html

SpunkySmurph
big grin From Mungi's link

Originally posted by The link that Mungi provided Proportionately speaking, we see more American movies than Americans, and (at least at one point) were such huge consumers of American comics, that Marvel Comics created Wolverineas a kind of tip-of-the-hat to the Canadian readership. Saying that Canadians aren't into superheroes is blatantly untrue and, dare I say it? even elitest -- defining a culture, not by the peopple, but by the elite (and the elites' failure to win the favour of the people). Not to mention the fact that Canadians like John Byrne and Todd McFarlane are major players in the modern U.S. comic book industry!

Besides, Canadians practically invented superhero comics!!! (Now's the part you were waiting for, eh?)

Firstly, as most people are aware, Superman was co-created in 1938 by Canadian-born Joe Shuster (cousin of Frank -- and if you don't know who that is, ask any Canadian about Wayne & Shuster). In the early days of the Superman comic book, the Canadian connection was even more blatant. Superman's alter ego, Clark Kent, originally worked, not at the Daily Planet, but the Daily Star, which Shuster claimed was an intentional homage to the Toronto Star (for which he used to deliver papers as a kid). As well, apparently the skyline of Metropolis was modeled after the Toronto skyline (and let's not forget the Fortress of Solitude, which was originally in the Canadian arctic). Superman is credited as having practically created the comic book superhero genre. Sure, there were a handful of others before him, but he was the most successful, and was largely the first of the "super"-powered characters that would come to define the genre. Superman, I should also hastily point out, was a joint creation between Shuster and American Jerry Siegel (just to be honest).

But wait, there's more.

Hal Foster has been called the father of the adventure strip. When he introduced the Tarzan newspaper strip in 1929 (premiering simultaneously with Buck Rogers), based on E.R. Burroughs' novel, it was the first time comic strips had been used to tell a dramatic, action-adventure story (the genre which pretty well dominates comic books today). He later went on to create the classic Prince Valiant, and his realist, detailed art is still revered to this day. Need I say that Mr. Foster was a Canadian?

But wait, I've saved the best till last!

Comic book superheroes owe their origins to Pulp magazine characters like Doc Savage, Zorro, and the Shadow. But to what -- and to whom -- do the pulp heroes owe their origins? What originated the idea of the mysterious crime fighter? I'm sure the genesis is varied and complex, but what pundits seem to agree on is that the acknowledged archetype for the costumed crime fighters of the pulps was...The Gray Seal, who prowled the streets of New York, USA starting waaaay back in 1914. The Gray Seal was created by Frank L. Packard...another Canadian!

King_Mungi
Your welcome smile

manorastroman
allow me to be the first to say...so? was john carter canadian? if you don't know who john carter is, wiki him.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by manorastroman
allow me to be the first to say...so? was john carter canadian? if you don't know who john carter is, wiki him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_carter

no expression

manorastroman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_%28character%29

no expression

he's generally credited with beginning the "superpowered" movement.

SpunkySmurph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_%28character%29

no expression

he's generally credited with beginning the "superpowered" movement.

Are you saying that John Carter holds more responsibility then Superman for the current comics world?

manorastroman
in a sense, considering he blatantly inspired the creation of superman. not that many comic writers would even know the name. i said nothing of the sort, actually; i was just pointing out that canadians did not in fact invent the "superpower".

SpunkySmurph
in a sense, considering he blatantly inspired the creation of superman. not that many comic writers would even know the name. i said nothing of the sort, actually; i was just pointing out that canadians did not in fact invent the "superpower".

confused

Racist. no expression

stick out tongue

manorastroman
canucklehead. whistle

Baldey

And Wolverine stabbign Thanos when he was was powered up with the gems is great stuff right ? Or going toe to toe with Namor when he doesn't use his claws is great.

Marvel is great but there is things they really **** up on. Most of which is Wolverine.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Baldey
And Wolverine stabbign Thanos when he was was powered up with the gems is great stuff right ? Or going toe to toe with Namor when he doesn't use his claws is great.

Marvel is great but there is things they really **** up on. Most of which is Wolverine.

And yet all of those pale in comparision to Deathstroke hitting the Flash.

... and Wolverine used his claws the four times he fought Namor confused

Baldey
Touche.

But theres a difference. Flash needs to job to face people most of the time. But Wolverine has people he can fight without jobing to.

But with the Namor bit. In their recent fight Wolverine kicked him at one point and bam he fell over. How the hell can that happen ? Tell me how thats logical.

Or this scan:

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/1134/1se3.th.jpg

How is Namor struggling to not get Logan off him ?

SpunkySmurph
Touche.

But theres a difference. Flash needs to job to face people most of the time. But Wolverine has people he can fight without jobing to.

So, DC writers creating a character that needs to job in order to be interesting proves that they're better then Marvel, how?

Baldey
So, DC writers creating a character that needs to job in order to be interesting proves that they're better then Marvel, how?

You could say that. Then what about Thor. He jobs to most enemies to be fair. He could destroy most of the heros on earth or villains yet he struggles. That can be jobbing when he shouldn't have to much trouble.

Baldey
Here is another scan of what I mean.

He shouldn't have been able to hit him over then.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/120/3do5.th.jpg

srankmissingnin
Touche.

But with the Namor bit. In their recent fight Wolverine kicked him at one point and bam he fell over. How the hell can that happen ? Tell me how thats logical.

Or this scan:

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/1134/1se3.th.jpg

How is Namor struggling to not get Logan off him ?

Namor, while having the ability of flight more often the not avoids aerial combat in favor of melee combat. How is it a huge stretch that Wolverine can hold his own against Namor? There isn't a disparity of speed between the two. Namor isn't invulnerable as such he is susceptible to Wolverine's claws. Even if Namor decided to keep use aerial combat tactics he'd still need to come into melee range as he doesn't have a viable range option.

As for Wolverine kicking Namor knocking him over, well Namor's strength has no effect on how much he weighs. How much does Namor weigh, 210lbs? Wolverine has mild superhuman strength, if Namor was off balance he would be able to knock him over... a lot of people could. And considering Wolverine's extensive combat training the guy is going to be hitting like a truck. Think Rocky Marciano if he could bench two tons and skill wise was three levels higher on a logartihmich scale.

SpunkySmurph
Here is another scan of what I mean.

He shouldn't have been able to hit him over then.

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/120/3do5.th.jpg

confused

I was unaware that Namor had the power to be invulnerable to casual trips.

Because thats what it is. They're both highly skilled warriors. Wolverine was just attempting to end the battle for another time, because he had better thing to do. Like put on some pants. Namor was in no way hurt by the blow. He just fell over. WOAH!

Baldey
Yeah Namor really learns to fly more and also use his power of the eel. fighting at full potentiol he would use it and could win. Yeah I agree Namor gets cut by his claws which is fine, Namor hasn't proven to be that invunerable.

But Wolverine hasn't got super strength officially, it hasn't even been stated he hasn't it, it has shown hes been able to do some stuff his official powers couldn't do. So they could be shown to be poor writning. Which is what Marvel generally do with him. I am not saying its all crap but allot of it he shouldn't do. Unless he has a official power up I don't like it.

Just wondering do you think its bullshit that Wolverine stabbed Thanos ?

Oh and Grifter = Badass.

I wish all Logan fanboys and Wolverine haters could debate normally like this.

srankmissingnin
90% of the bad things that happen to Thanos happen because he allows them to happen. He has some sort of complex, the guy wants to lose. sad

...and yeah Grifter is the man!

Scoobless
Does Wolverine deliberately get naked before starting fights with Namor?

no expression

Baldey
laughing out loud

Its true he does have a thing about things happening to him that shouldn't, so he seems to want it.

So you like Wildcats ?

srankmissingnin
Does Wolverine deliberately get naked before starting fights with Namor?

no expression

Namor does seem to stumble into a naked Wolverine far too often... but he insist that it is just a coincadence. big grin

srankmissingnin
laughing out loud

Its true he does have a thing about things happening to him that shouldn't, so he seems to want it.

So you like Wildcats ?

Yeah, I like Wildcats. Can't wait for issue 2 of the relaunch... should be out sometime in 2008 sad

Baldey
I haven't read the newer ones. But I am downloading some. Pretty damn cool. I am getting the old Grifter crossover aswell.

Wolverine is coming out of the closest.

SpunkySmurph

Wolverine is coming out of the closest.

Pssh. I personally blame Namor. Just because Canada's more open minded then wherever you're from, doesn't mean the Canadian has to play that role stick out tongue

(Oh, and, ignore Northstar)

SpunkySmurph

eek! I found one!

Thogh she IS from Quebec...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastique_%28comics%29

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>