Has Humanity become God?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Black Ghost
These days we have everything we have ever wanted (and more than we could ever need) to both live and survive. We have the answers for everything in scientific terms and mathematical numbers and we have been able to solve and nearly control so much and nearly all of what we once considered to be 'the mysteries of the universe' -or we soon will be.

This path l think is very dangerous because of not only how much power we have now over everything- we can clone people, genetically alter creatures, travel in space, build or destroy anything we want, possess weapons that could destroy the planet... -but also how fast we are acquiring it.

I beleive this is going to become the death of not only humanity but the destruction of the good values and morals that we try to hold onto now unless we can do something to change our entire base of society fast.

---So what are your thoughts on our 'progress'???
---What do you think will become of us and how do you think we will be able to, if we are able to, solve this problem???

The Black Ghost
Yes I agree with you, definately...

Cmon people

Green Arrow
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
These days we have everything we have ever wanted (and more than we could ever need)
Precisely, and yet mankind is still very miserable. Because all this means nothing. Apparently no amount of matireal wealth or mortal pleasure can make one happy. Happyness has to come from the inside. So infact man is nowhere near God. God despite being omnipetant, is grateful. Where as we are not.

No we don't. We can't even prove if global warming is real or not. (Which I believe it is.) You get differant "facts" from differant scientists. Just baseless, shallow, drivvle.

Oh ceartainly, more power just creates more chaos and depravity.

Won't happen. Society is wholly surrender-monkies who givein to the pleasures of the flesh. The only surefire way to survive and carryon our values is to wait for an oppurtunity to exterminate the masses. I look foward to world war three, Einstien was right about it all. There's a reason we'll be fighting world war four with sticks and stones.

Depends, if progress is measured by our technological advancement. Then yeah, I'd say you've progressed quite impressively. But does progress equal success? Happyness is like trying to reach a world record, and though you can make progress and get better, if you never reach that world record you won't have success. Unlike this example, technology can never eventualy leadus to success. Only new pleateus.

I think alot of good men and bad men alike will die and suffer tremendously. As has always been the case when injustice is implanted into human-kind. My answer? Wait.. plan.. and never negotiate. Neogitations are for people already defeated and seeking some kindof mercy. And we got nowhere to go but up.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Green Arrow
Precisely, and yet mankind is still very miserable. Because all this means nothing. Apparently no amount of matireal wealth or mortal pleasure can make one happy. Happyness has to come from the inside. So infact man is nowhere near God. God despite being omnipetant, is grateful. Where as we are not.

Contradiction:

1) Happiness must come from the Inside

2) So infact man is no where near God

What does "God" have to do with happiness ? "God" has been responsible for much destruction....

- Salem Witch Trials
- Crusades
- Inquisition
- Native American genocide
- Anti Gay rights movement
- DEath of First born sons of Egypt (Moses times)
- Destruction of cities Sodom and Gomorrha (Biblical myth)
- The Great Flood (which killed 99.9% of humanity)

No we don't. We can't even prove if global warming is real or not. (Which I believe it is.) You get differant "facts" from differant scientists. Just baseless, shallow, drivvle.

Oh Boy roll eyes (sarcastic)

More conservative propaganda bullshit....Global Warming and its effects have already occured and have been proven. This whole , "Let us destroy our environment with factories, make more money, chop down more trees, kill more animals, dig more oil, and hope God takes care of the rest" mentality is the nightmare that is destroying our world.

The Rise in rates of Hurricanes is not enough evidense for you? The Green House effect, the shorter winters, the polar caps melting, the rise in skin cancer....

Not enough evidense for you?

You fkn moron......

Oh ceartainly, more power just creates more chaos and depravity.

Then Christians should keep thier noses out of politics...glad we agree wink

Won't happen. Society is wholly surrender-monkies who givein to the pleasures of the flesh. The only surefire way to survive and carryon our values is to wait for an oppurtunity to exterminate the masses. I look foward to world war three, Einstien was right about it all. There's a reason we'll be fighting world war four with sticks and stones.

Can come say, PSYCHO........ ?

Depends, if progress is measured by our technological advancement. Then yeah, I'd say you've progressed quite impressively. But does progress equal success? Happyness is like trying to reach a world record, and though you can make progress and get better, if you never reach that world record you won't have success. Unlike this example, technology can never eventualy leadus to success. Only new pleateus.

Scientific Technology has lead to cures in many diseases and wondorful developments in terms of healing ailments that were once life threatening. Computers make things that was once impossible, possible....

Vaccines...the diseases that your God refused to treat have been treated through science.

Science > Religion

I think alot of good men and bad men alike will die and suffer tremendously. As has always been the case when injustice is implanted into human-kind. My answer? Wait.. plan.. and never negotiate. Neogitations are for people already defeated and seeking some kindof mercy. And we got nowhere to go but up.

yawn

More meaningless advice ?

KILLA420
no we dont have too much power b/c we dont even know yet, exactly how we were started.... a great philospher once said "if you dont remember the past, you might as well forget the future."
does this mean the human race as a whole is doomed?

The Black Ghost
FYI all ppl -I used god strictly as a metaphor for 'total power'

1) yes we dont know everything for certain, but we still label things as 'known' to us, even if not totally proven -and we disregard what is and isnt fact all the time. EX: If we have a 5% change that we can make genetically altered cows, we will, even if we know it probably wont work -just to say we tried. Someday it will be altered people...and so on...

It is abuse of power we dont understand...

2) WWIII will yes, likely be able to show us something of what we are, but in the end -we'll end up doing the same damn mistakes over and over again... Arrows, guns, nukes...arrows, guns, nukes...

Is there any less apoclolaptic solution? Hmm... too ambitious for us. We can spends years researching on how to destroy the world but we cant spend a minute to find a serious solution to keep it from occuring.

Originally posted by KILLA420
no we dont have too much power b/c we dont even know yet, exactly how we were started.... a great philospher once said "if you dont remember the past, you might as well forget the future."
does this mean the human race as a whole is doomed? Im thinking it doesnt really matter how we started -we'll know how it ended for sure... Someday soon we might know the answer to that too anyways.

Shakyamunison
Im thinking it doesnt really matter how we started -we'll know how it ended for sure... Someday soon we might know the answer to that too anyways.

It will not be any time soon.

cain marko
no. I'm writing a psychology essay atm the moment so no time to back up my points. But No.

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It will not be any time soon.

Hmm, so it doesnt matter because it is likely to be a long ways off...what are we waiting for- the apocalypse? This isn't just a nuclear, physical warfare -it is the very way we live today and the degraded thought/moral code that is the problem... We wont see mushroom clouds because of it for a while -hopefully, but we are still living up to it.

Post by Lord Urizen: "Scientific Technology has lead to cures in many diseases and wondorful developments in terms of healing ailments that were once life threatening. Computers make things that was once impossible, possible....
Vaccines...the diseases that your God refused to treat have been treated through science...."

Paradoxically, it is the very super power like this that is the problem. Alright we can treat diseases and so forth, but what is medicine today in pop culture -the extreme simplification and prolonging of life. (yes medicine is good and saves people) But its it the general concept of how we cannot accept what we have that is bad. We can cure mostly everything these days, but now we are trying to make us live to be 150 (not bs) and made medical technology for abortions, and the kind of things that our culture "needs". What would happen if everybody lived to 150? Population>UP(like...china), Food/space> DOwn... Government goes crazy- forced to make laws against population and radical crap. people get mad, anarchy/chaos ensues and pretty soon we are all basically...screwed. The end of the world dont have to be with bombs..

Shakyamunison
Hmm, so it doesnt matter because it is likely to be a long ways off...what are we waiting for- the apocalypse? This isn't just a nuclear, physical warfare -it is the very way we live today and the degraded thought/moral code that is the problem... We wont see mushroom clouds because of it for a while -hopefully, but we are still living up to it.

Post by Lord Urizen: "Scientific Technology has lead to cures in many diseases and wondorful developments in terms of healing ailments that were once life threatening. Computers make things that was once impossible, possible....
Vaccines...the diseases that your God refused to treat have been treated through science...."

Paradoxically, it is the very super power like this that is the problem. Alright we can treat diseases and so forth, but what is medicine today in pop culture -the extreme simplification and prolonging of life. (yes medicine is good and saves people) But its it the general concept of how we cannot accept what we have that is bad. We can cure mostly everything these days, but now we are trying to make us live to be 150 (not bs) and made medical technology for abortions, and the kind of things that our culture "needs". What would happen if everybody lived to 150? Population>UP(like...china), Food/space> DOwn... Government goes crazy- forced to make laws against population and radical crap. people get mad, anarchy/chaos ensues and pretty soon we are all basically...screwed. The end of the world dont have to be with bombs..

If we survive has always been the question. If we had an all out nuclear war, there is a good chance that most people on the Earth would die within the first few years, but there might be enough people who survive. It will though us back into the stone age, but we might survive.

Atlantis001
Technology is evolving and people should try to evolve together with it.

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
If we survive has always been the question. If we had an all out nuclear war, there is a good chance that most people on the Earth would die within the first few years, but there might be enough people who survive. It will though us back into the stone age, but we might survive.

If it comes to an all-out nuclear war...I would hope no one survives -because we'll just get back up and in a thousand years do it all over again. (And on a scale that large, the combined effects of nuclear winter and super-screwed up ozone would more or less kill everything on the planet. But that is besides the point)

As I said before though, this isn't just about survival, it is about how we think and act, and how it effects us now, and not just in the future.

Originally posted by Atlantis001
Technology is evolving and people should try to evolve together with it.

Alright, so lets evolve with technology -thats the classic story of science fiction where machine turns against man. And in the real world its not AI matrix wars, its fundamental societal development...We become to dependent on technology that when we lost it, everybody falls.

KILLA420
Im thinking it doesnt really matter how we started -we'll know how it ended for sure... Someday soon we might know the answer to that too anyways.

well, buddy, you may be right , but i still think the past is necessary information in order to complete the cycle that we call life

The Black Ghost
well, buddy, you may be right , but i still think the past is necessary information in order to complete the cycle that we call life

I still dont understand exactly what you are saying though. Because we dont know enough about how we started that we dont have to make ourselves better now? I dont get it? If anything that would be more reason to change what we can in hopes of a better tomorrow. See what Im saying?

KILLA420
no i'm saying that we can never be 'too powerful' until we at least figure out our 'roots'

Lord Urizen
WE have not become God...

We are not even close.....

The Black Ghost
no i'm saying that we can never be 'too powerful' until we at least figure out our 'roots'

Ok, so we arent certain we come from monkeys or not... we can still blow up the world and mess around with a million things we shouldnt that could lead us, and are leading us, to very bad places.

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
WE have not become God...
We are not even close.....

God is metaphorical as i already said, but yes we are a lot closer to the point of too much power than we think. We can make life, prolong life, destroy it all, build and synthesize quite a lot. Ok so we cant fly to other galaxies but we still have A hell of a lot more power than we realize.

debbiejo

I beleive this is going to become the death of not only humanity but the destruction of the good values and morals that we try to hold onto now unless we can do something to change our entire base of society fast.

---What do you think will become of us and how do you think we will be able to, if we are able to, solve this problem??? We should ALL responsible for our own thoughts which leads to our actions. I Think the tech. world is great. But one has to remember that it is WE that determines how we want to use it on an individual level....And how we interact with the world and others........WE are responsible. If we don't like something then it is WE that will or should not participate in it. In doing this tech or non tech will die out.......It's consumer based. Same with all things........It's not someone elses world, it's ours..........

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by debbiejo
We should ALL responsible for our own thoughts which leads to our actions. I Think the tech. world is great. But one has to remember that it is WE that determines how we want to use it on an individual level....And how we interact with the world and others........WE are responsible. If we don't like something then it is WE that will or should not participate in it. In doing this tech or non tech will die out.......It's consumer based. Same with all things........It's not someone elses world, it's ours..........

Which is exactly why we can and should act.

debbiejo
Man of us do......... cool

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by debbiejo
Many of us do......... cool

Thats good... but many of us dont -way more many. The reason we are not becoming better than we are now, the reason we cannot overcome our problems is because many of the people who have the power to make a change, fail to do so.

And I beleive there may be a misconception about the meaning of this thread, so to clear things up, I did not at all mean anything about humanity actually reaching a point in being equal to a God in greatness or good -I meant simply that we have gotten so much power and we use and abuse it so easily -we are driving a car down an unfinished highway 100 mph without knowing what is ahead. It may be about time to put on the brakes... That should be in a book.

So, we have in a way become God, in a metaphorical sense. because we have the many powers that we attributed to God alone once, and we can do all these great things -that ultimately bring us nowhere but backwards. Our power is becoming detrimental to the good of society in general.

KILLA420
Ok, so we arent certain we come from monkeys or not... we can still blow up the world and mess around with a million things we shouldnt that could lead us, and are leading us, to very bad places.

God is metaphorical as i already said, but yes we are a lot closer to the point of too much power than we think. We can make life, prolong life, destroy it all, build and synthesize quite a lot. Ok so we cant fly to other galaxies but we still have A hell of a lot more power than we realize.
yeah, but that was power derived from science, we still do not have too much power

and Urizen--i thought you were an atheist eek!!!!

The Black Ghost
yeah, but that was power derived from science, we still do not have too much power

And Just because it is science it is justified or used correctly? Science made the atom bomb -may have saved lives back then, true, but could cost a lot more in the future. It also made commercialized abortions -who cares whether or not we should have the right to them, but they are still just one more way we use science to justify what we know is wrong. Science has also made everything we ever wanted, patented and with a price tag to be used at our whim -or disposal maybe is a better word.

Of course I CANNOT and will not discredit science -because it has helped us in a million ways (medicine is a major one)-but it has in many places overhelped us, and is reaching a point where 95% of scientific research goes to things we want instead of things we need -not that the percentage has changed much over the past 300 years since we have always wanted more than we needed...

The truth is, as is very obvious: We are reliant on science, and on making everything good and simple and on being able to do anything -that has a physical and phycological effect on the way the world acts and thinks. Supermans "great power, great responsibility" thing -well lets just say we have to work on the responsibility part, a lot.

We can have science, but either we start to put limits on it or begins to limit us -in a very not happy way...

Lord Urizen

and Urizen--i thought you were an atheist eek!!!!

I'm not. I'm Agnostic.

I just don't beleive in Christian-Judeo / Islamic version of God. I refuse to worship a hypocritical, sexist tyrant.

The Black Ghost
I'm not. I'm Agnostic.
I just don't beleive in Christian-Judeo / Islamic version of God. I refuse to worship a hypocritical, sexist tyrant.

WTF god is Sexist ? how do you pull that out of it?

And we're trying to stay on topic here... its not religion.

The Black Ghost
Simply Read
How would you like to live forever...

The Future of Cloning

Bombs

KILLA420

dude, i think i am allowed to go offtopic, if you dont like it you can suck on my knob b*tch

Dusty
dude, i think i am allowed to go offtopic, if you dont like it you can suck on my knob b*tch

That's not necessary.

Storm
Please try to stay within the bounds of the current discussion.

Watch your tongue, and consider yourself warned for member bashing!

Lord Urizen

1) Yes. Read the Bible.

2) Someone asked me a religous question.

KILLA420
Originally posted by Storm
Please try to stay within the bounds of the current discussion.

Watch your tongue, and consider yourself warned for member bashing!
aight homes
1) Yes. Read the Bible.

2) Someone asked me a religous question.
yeah my bad

The Black Ghost
Yeh whatever... *****

KILLA420
Yeh whatever... *****
dude, chill smokin'

The Black Ghost
Chilling aint for us gangstas

KILLA420
Chilling aint for us gangstas
ok....confused confused

The Black Ghost
ok....confused confused

Alright. cool

KILLA420
Alright. cool
ok then

The Black Ghost
Anyways...trying to get back on topic....

I was thinking yesterday, and a very good example came to mind of how much power we have -in this case over nature.

Increased urbanization and claiming of land has forced many forest dwelling animals to be secluded in forests and such, we initially end up swiinging the entire system out of alignment. We claim that then there begins to have "overpopulation" of a specific species because they have been forced away from predators or there are too many confined in one area (how ironic isnt it)...lets just say the deer in this case... maybe because they have eaten too many flowers from people's gardens. What is always our solution? Kill them, or more politically correct to say "balance out the population". Most of the job goes to commercial or sport hunters, many of which could care less about the food part of it -which turns the whole thing into a slaughter all for the good of the community... This is the way we deal with most of our problems nowadays...using some quick cheap repair job for our problems. Kill it, tear it down, destroy it.

Whether this the population leveling is justified or not, it paints a pretty clear picture of what we are...the game controllers of the world. We cause a problem and instead of facing it -whether for monetary or laziness reasons, we take the short way out. In general it shows a disregard for life and for anything that we do. Thats why we have abortions, thats why we have so many "quick do it for you" sort of things...We cant handle the very problems we create.

Also consider that: Everyday...

-Upwards of 50,000 people per day are needlessly dying on Earth. These deaths are dictated by the greed of a very few, and the rest of us are not changing it...

-578 species of the web of life to go extinct. This extinction rate equals one species of life going extinct every 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Millions of people are at work legally day and night, quickly destroying the richest place there is for life on Earth, the Rainforests.

-We are destroying a land area which is equivalent to the size of the city of Tokyo Japan ( 240 square miles ) every day.

These were from: http://www.starvation.net/]

I dont want to go too deeply into abortion but...
-Aprox 944,935,000 worldwide so far (mostly in the last twenty years) ... Thats about a Billion Abortions...1/8 of the total population of the planet now. More than half of that is made of +8-12 weeks past conception.

Numbers a little high? You tell me.

KILLA420
Anyways...trying to get back on topic....

I was thinking yesterday, and a very good example came to mind of how much power we have -in this case over nature.

Increased urbanization and claiming of land has forced many forest dwelling animals to be secluded in forests and such, we initially end up swiinging the entire system out of alignment. We claim that then there begins to have "overpopulation" of a specific species because they have been forced away from predators or there are too many confined in one area (how ironic isnt it)...lets just say the deer in this case... maybe because they have eaten too many flowers from people's gardens. What is always our solution? Kill them, or more politically correct to say "balance out the population". Most of the job goes to commercial or sport hunters, many of which could care less about the food part of it -which turns the whole thing into a slaughter all for the good of the community... This is the way we deal with most of our problems nowadays...using some quick cheap repair job for our problems. Kill it, tear it down, destroy it.

Whether this the population leveling is justified or not, it paints a pretty clear picture of what we are...the game controllers of the world. We cause a problem and instead of facing it -whether for monetary or laziness reasons, we take the short way out. In general it shows a disregard for life and for anything that we do. Thats why we have abortions, thats why we have so many "quick do it for you" sort of things...We cant handle the very problems we create.

Also consider that: Everyday...

-Upwards of 50,000 people per day are needlessly dying on Earth. These deaths are dictated by the greed of a very few, and the rest of us are not changing it...

-578 species of the web of life to go extinct. This extinction rate equals one species of life going extinct every 2 minutes and 30 seconds. Millions of people are at work legally day and night, quickly destroying the richest place there is for life on Earth, the Rainforests.

-We are destroying a land area which is equivalent to the size of the city of Tokyo Japan ( 240 square miles ) every day.

These were from: http://www.starvation.net/]

I dont want to go too deeply into abortion but...
-Aprox 944,935,000 worldwide so far (mostly in the last twenty years) ... Thats about a Billion Abortions...1/8 of the total population of the planet now. More than half of that is made of +8-12 weeks past conception.

Numbers a little high? You tell me.
abortion is for poeple who are to lazy for contraception erm

Jack Daniels
IMO (in my opinion) until they are born they are innocent and go straight to heaven if aborted(or recycled whichever you prefer to believe) so you are doing them no harm in a religious sense.....????....physical sense, I would hate to be the unborn child if things arent as the bible states(possible since it was written by man).....bottom line is non contraceptive users need to convert to contraceptives! Put yourself in the unborn babies booties! I dont know ya killa but I back your statement.....

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
IMO (in my opinion) until they are born they are innocent and go straight to heaven if aborted(or recycled whichever you prefer to believe) so you are doing them no harm in a religious sense.....????....physical sense, I would hate to be the unborn child if things arent as the bible states(possible since it was written by man).....bottom line is non contraceptive users need to convert to contraceptives! Put yourself in the unborn babies booties! I dont know ya killa but I back your statement..... ]

Yeh, even though that wouldnt change much but the figures...and when you think about it, it realy makes no difference if its a hundred million or a hundred thousand -yeh the babies dont know if theyre being killed, because it is the concept and the retarded attitude about it that is the real problem. Thats the point I was trying to make, its not really all about religion, its about morals and its about responsibility...neither of which have much of a projected lifespan -and that, overall, is what is going to destroy us.

KILLA420
Originally posted by Jack Daniels
IMO (in my opinion) until they are born they are innocent and go straight to heaven if aborted(or recycled whichever you prefer to believe) so you are doing them no harm in a religious sense.....????....physical sense, I would hate to be the unborn child if things arent as the bible states(possible since it was written by man).....bottom line is non contraceptive users need to convert to contraceptives! Put yourself in the unborn babies booties! I dont know ya killa but I back your statement.....
thanks bro, i also beleive that it is a matter of faith to decide if the bible is real, but if it isnt fear.......then one life just gets washed away sadwalk

The Black Ghost
Ive noticed that there are a fair amount of "indiffernts" in the poll but only a few people have commented -I was sort of interested to here about why that it, considering how what we do now affects the future, and how simply ignoring problems is in my mind just arrogance.

xmarksthespot
These days we have everything we have ever wanted (and more than we could ever need) to both live and survive. We have the answers for everything in scientific terms and mathematical numbers and we have been able to solve and nearly control so much and nearly all of what we once considered to be 'the mysteries of the universe' -or we soon will be.

This path l think is very dangerous because of not only how much power we have now over everything- we can clone people, genetically alter creatures, travel in space, build or destroy anything we want, possess weapons that could destroy the planet... -but also how fast we are acquiring it.

---What do you think will become of us and how do you think we will be able to, if we are able to, solve this problem??? We do not have everything we've ever wanted -- I don't currently possess a talking Dinosaur and Monica Bellucci. We do not have the answers to everything -- scientific knowledge is still full of gaps but continues to endeavour to fill them...

We can't clone people -- at least not easily -- the number of embryos created in order to produce a viable organism would be very large. Space travel is still very limited. Our weapons may destroy us and life, but the planet would continue.

Values and morals are overrated, especially the "good" ones.

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
We do not have everything we've ever wanted -- I don't currently possess a talking Dinosaur and Monica Bellucci. We do not have the answers to everything -- scientific knowledge is still full of gaps but continues to endeavour to fill them...

We can't clone people -- at least not easily -- the number of embryos created in order to produce a viable organism would be very large. Space travel is still very limited. Our weapons may destroy us and life, but the planet would continue.

Values and morals are overrated, especially the "good" ones.

We have everything we could 'possibly' need and most we want. We dont have dinosaurs but think about it, if we really wanted to, we could figure a way out like in Jurrasic Park -not exactly that way though. Scientific knowledge may be full of gaps, but that doesnt stop us from using it to no exclusion. Does it really "matter" if we figure out how evolution works? Atheists will just rejoice, religion will be more battered than it is becoming, and science will use that knowledge to "try it out for themselves"... All these lead to a path of societal demise.

We CAN clone people, it has been done already, and the fact that so many embryos are sacraficed for each good clone just goes to say how little regards we have for life over advancement. Space travel may be limited, but someday it will not be... (space "travel" isn't whats going to come first, it will be space "wars" -ships armed with the very weaponry we fear now such as nuclear weapons, which could then be distributed to any place on earth in under an hour maybe without anyone ever knowing they were launched...in fact we basically already have that.

http://usmilitary.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=usmilitary&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fas.org%2Fman%2Fdod-101%2Fsys%2Findex.html -cool, but scary

"Our weapons may destroy us and life, but the planet would continue."
I LOVE that attitude, lets just go and blow up the world. Whoever lives becomes the ruler of Earth -go! And eventually we end up with the most terrible, ununified, most chaotic place that ever lived. And just because people might live through all that doesnt mean we wouldnt just do it all over again in the future...because that is what would happen.

Likely noone would live through that...and if that were the case maybe someday the aliens will come and find a big crater where Earth used to be and colonize. GOOD IDEA!

"Morals are overated..."
Overrated?! How so? Without them there would nothing but anarchy and chaos.

Punkyhermy
LMFAO!

I can't believe the thought is even being argued!

laughing out loud

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Punkyhermy
LMFAO!

I can't believe the thought is even being argued!

laughing out loud

...For...which side? confused

KILLA420
Ive noticed that there are a fair amount of "indiffernts" in the poll but only a few people have commented -I was sort of interested to here about why that it, considering how what we do now affects the future, and how simply ignoring problems is in my mind just arrogance.
they are indiffernt because of how lazy the world is becoming, did you knnwo that Lexus has developed a car that can park itself? eek! they wont comment because they will wait for someone to do t for them

The Black Ghost
they are indiffernt because of how lazy the world is becoming, did you knnwo that Lexus has developed a car that can park itself? eek! they wont comment because they will wait for someone to do t for them

...Thats what I'm thinking too about now... lazyass people these days.

Did I ever tell you about a time when we used to have to walk a mile to school uphill in the rain -and then uphill on the way home...

Oh wait I never did that.

KILLA420
...Thats what I'm thinking too about now... lazyass people these days.

Did I ever tell you about a time when we used to have to walk a mile to school uphill in the rain -and then uphill on the way home...

Oh wait I never did that.
lazy ness is killing me, my car has power everything, but some people have a ****ing cd changer, why do you need a cd changer in a car? my uncles car has gps, and he can call pepople through the car!!! its sad that epole dont even really shop anymore, cuz why, they can just buy it online! im ashamed at the world i live in! wallbash

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Dr. Badass420
lazy ness is killing me, my car has power everything, but some people have a ****ing cd changer, why do you need a cd changer in a car? my uncles car has gps, and he can call pepople through the car!!! its sad that epole dont even really shop anymore, cuz why, they can just buy it online! im ashamed at the world i live in! wallbash

Touche mr salesman

Mindship
Only in its wildest, megalomaniacal fantasies.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mindship

I have that fantasy all the time

The Black Ghost
Originally posted by Mindship

....And what does that mean?

Mindship
Pray tell, kind sir, what part don't you understand?

("Megalomania is a state of mental illness often characterised by delusional fantasies of wealth, power, or omnipotence"... just in case that was the part.)

WrathfulDwarf
I'm just going to post the obvious...

Having all powerful resources is a good thing as long as we use it for the benefit of everyone.

Thinking we're becoming the idea of gods is only absurd, egotistic, and delusional. No man is a god because of the power he/she might hold.

Let us accept what we are and what we will be...Mortals.

Hydrono
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm just going to post the obvious...

Having all powerful resources is a good thing as long as we use it for the benefit of everyone.

Thinking we're becoming the idea of gods is only absurd, egotistic, and delusional. No man is a god because of the power he/she might hold.

Let us accept what we are and what we will be...Mortals. thumb up Well said.

Symmetric Chaos

Let us accept what we are and what we will be...Mortals.

Why not strive to be more than that?

Acceptance of limitations can prevent progress. If there weren't people who pushed the limits of mankind we wouldn't be where we are today.

Dr. Badass420
before we go further, we must actually understand if there really is a God, because quite frankly, i'm not so sure

Shakyamunison
What is God?

A being described in a book?...................I don't think so.
Something that needs to be worshiped?....I don't think so.
A being of all good?...............................I don't think so.

Everything plus more?............................Maybe

Does it really matter?.............................I don't think so.

Hydrono
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Acceptance of limitations can prevent progress. If there weren't people who pushed the limits of mankind we wouldn't be where we are today.

True...

But in my opinion we are are restricted by the laws of physics. Sure we can attempt to push the limits of mankind, but attempting to get a godlike status (whatever that may be) is a bit unlikely. Well, that's my opinion... stick out tongue

WrathfulDwarf

Certainly, we should strive to progress ourselves....not to delude ourselves with illusions of greatness.

Recognizing our own flaws is not putting limitations on progress. It's actually a more beneficial thing to know that there is wrong in our humanity and that wrongness could tamper our progress.

We are not gods...and will never become such things. It's false to consider ourselves superbeings.

Symmetric Chaos
Certainly, we should strive to progress ourselves....not to delude ourselves with illusions of greatness.

Recognizing our own flaws is not putting limitations on progress. It's actually a more beneficial thing to know that there is wrong in our humanity and that wrongness could tamper our progress.

We are not gods...and will never become such things. It's false to consider ourselves superbeings.

Obviously we aren't literally gods but the people who have made the greatest accomplishments in human history have done so because they thought they could improve on "god"'s world.

Playing god is not always a bad thing as long as you aren't convinced that you really are a god.

Dr. Badass420
Obviously we aren't literally gods but the people who have made the greatest accomplishments in human history have done so because they thought they could improve on "god"'s world.

Playing god is not always a bad thing as long as you aren't convinced that you really are a god.
it isnt "playing god" it's using advanced technology to solve problems

Symmetric Chaos
it isnt "playing god" it's using advanced technology to solve problems

People have refered to it as playing god.

Lord Urizen
If I drown people, am I playing God ? confused

Symmetric Chaos
It could be seen that way.

People who take the lives of othes often do it for a feeling of power which some have been known to equate to godhood.

I was thinking of people who defied the limits of what was accepted for what they believed was the good of manknind no matter the consequence. Are you drowning these people because you think they are a threat to he human race?

Lord Urizen
Are you drowning these people because you think they are a threat to he human race?

I am drowning these people because of thier sins.....

Symmetric Chaos
I am drowning these people because of thier sins.....

"There is nothing in life more dangerous than a man who has found Truth"

Unless you have defined the sins yourself you are not playing god you are acting upon the demands of "Truth"

Lord Urizen
"There is nothing in life more dangerous than a man who has found Truth"

Unless you have defined the sins yourself you are not playing god you are acting upon the demands of "Truth"

Thier sins are many:

Blasphemy
Homosexuality
Paganism
Infidelity
Atheism
Masturbation
Watching Porn

Symmetric Chaos
Thier sins are many:

Blasphemy
Homosexuality
Paganism
Infidelity
Atheism
Masturbation
Watching Porn

It seems like you are acting upon the will of an external Truth (apparently that of Christain fundamentalists) you are not playing god you are acting as a tool of your Truth.

Dr. Badass420
Thier sins are many:

Blasphemy
Homosexuality
Paganism
Infidelity
Atheism
Masturbation
Watching Porn
i didnt know watching porn and masterbation were sins weep pray

PuffyCheese
Thier sins are many:

Blasphemy
Homosexuality
Paganism
Infidelity
Atheism
Masturbation
Watching Porn

Wow...is it opposite day already, Urizen? confused

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by PuffyCheese
Wow...is it opposite day already, Urizen? confused

Naw he just enjoys conflict I brought up a point so he took a position he could argue from. smile

WrathfulDwarf

Correction, they did it for the benefit of humanity not to surpass or become gods.

I'm glad you mention literature gods. Because those stories have a great moral. Mankind can overcome any feat by proving to be just what they are...mere mortals with all their faculties and flaws. The human spirit makes the gods admire our determination and will.

However, the downside that is that our greatness becomes clouded with egotism and pride. Which then causes the downfall and failure of ourselves. This is where the stories tell us that in our attempt to become something greater that we aren't meant to be will lead only to failure and possible disaster. We're humans and mortal...nothing more.

Lord Urizen
i didnt know watching porn and masterbation were sins weep pray

They are. You shall burn for your disgusting little sins evil face

By Crom!
Global Warming would say humanity is not God even with a small g.

smile

The Black Ghost

And I beleive there may be a misconception about the meaning of this thread, so to clear things up, I did not at all mean anything about humanity actually reaching a point in being equal to a God in greatness or good -I meant simply that we have gotten so much power and we use and abuse it so easily -we are driving a car down an unfinished highway 100 mph without knowing what is ahead. It may be about time to put on the brakes...
So, we have in a way become God, in a metaphorical sense. because we have the many powers that we attributed to God alone once, and we can do all these great things -that ultimately bring us nowhere but backwards. Our power is becoming detrimental to the good of society in general.

I'm quoting myself because I want to restress what I was originally saying for those that did not read this part. This isnt about religion, although it is definatley included in the topic. Because of the power we have harnessed, the potential and already misuse of it, and what will become with it, is the "God" part. God as in power.

This is about a deeper problem that comes down to simply the way we think and make decisions. One could come up with a chart that does involve religion though to see how its loss could lead to demise. The loss and destruction of religion -> general loss of sense of morality, general feeling of having a life purpose or at least 'guidelines' of a sense -> loss of restraint and responsibility with life and science -> loss of social structure and government leadership -> General anarchy and disregard of other people. Chaos/ war/ ....etc...

The above is obviously stretching it quite a bit, but it is not far from the truth. For those who are not religious, fine, im not really either, but you have to admit both the social and psychological structure that it has made and kept the majority of civilizations from falling apart to what is said above. Even if not as a true spiritual beleif, religion has to be regarded a societal and moral guideline that is necessary for both order and peace. Obviously there are exceptions from misinterpretation of scriptures and radicals, but in general, there is absolutely no reason to attack religion because through history it is one major reason that put many of us where we are today.

Back to the chart -it isnt hard to make that same thing for many other things from technology overuse to overpopulation.

The Black Ghost
Its all really determinable through observation, how people think and act as compared to how they did before. Granted I was not around back then, but it was much different.

The Black Ghost
Some say we havent gotten that far to knowing the secrets of the universe...but we might be closer than you think. '

http://news.com.com/Big+Bang+and+bucks+set+to+collide+in+inner+space/2100-11397_3-6158282.html

and someone spreading fear and crazyness: http://www.wisdomofsolomon.com/bigbang.html

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.