Recommendations

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

brett1012
For the last 2 years i've been listening to straight rap, with a few exceptions ie; rage against the machine, gnarls barkley and radiohead. Could you reccomend me some good music from other genre's of music maybe some indie rock, pop, metal etc... Please no emo or blink 182 bullshit... thanks

-hh-
Originally posted by brett1012
For the last 2 years i've been listening to straight rap, with a few exceptions ie; rage against the machine, gnarls barkley and radiohead. Could you reccomend me some good music from other genre's of music maybe some indie rock, pop, metal etc... Please no emo or blink 182 bullshit... thanks what kind of "rap".

if you want some good conscious hip hop music, i recommend anything by the following artists:

Cannibal Ox (album Cold Vein)

Dr. Strangelove
I find a lot of hip hop heads dig System of a Down. Not a bad place to start.

Phat J
not me no

brett1012
i want any type of music other than rap i already listen to cannibal ox, doom, the roots etc

heres a list of artists i got off a couple lists that i might check out so if you could give me a heads up on which of them are worth checking out it would be appreciated;
the flaming lips, wilco, the microphones, the cure, Sigur Ros, the shins, neutral milk hotel, interpol and modest mouse

-hh-
Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
I find a lot of hip hop heads dig System of a Down. Not a bad place to start. love SOAD, but thats cuz they are Armenian big grin

D00m
Id check out these albums if I were you:

Jeff Buckley - Grace (Legacy Edition)
Mr. Bungle - California
Pixies - Doolittle
Weezer - Blue Album
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Can - Tago Mago
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
The Smiths - Meat is Murder & The Queen is Dead
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Fantomas - The Director's Cut
Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
Led Zeppelin - IV
Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings

Just for starters.

Solo
My Bloody Valentine- Isn't Anything
Laika- Sounds of the Satellites
Pulp- Different Class
I'm from Barcelona- Let Me Introduce You to My Friends
Elliott Smith- Elliott Smith
William Shatner- Has Been
Joy Division- Unknown Pleasures

All of those albums are very different from one another, very good too.

vintageSW77
just type in THE FALL in any mp3 site and take what they got

brett1012
any one know if the flaming lips are any good?

~Flamboyant~
Try listening to some progressive.

Bardock42
The Smiths
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Radiohead
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Jeff Buckley
Leonard Cohen
The Police
Joni Mitchell
Iron and Wine
The Cure
Weezer
Ramones
The Clash
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Sufjan Stevens
Soundgarden
Simon and Garfunkel
Pixies
PJ Harvey
Mr. Bungle
Faith No More

Solo
any one know if the flaming lips are any good?
Very.

Kid Kurdy
For the last 2 years i've been listening to straight rap, with a few exceptions ie; rage against the machine, gnarls barkley and radiohead. Could you reccomend me some good music from other genre's of music maybe some indie rock, pop, metal etc... Please no emo or blink 182 bullshit... thanks
It's difficult to say because we don't know your musical taste, except for the rap stuff of course.

If you like good acoustic (more or less country) music, go for Neil Young's Harvest Moon.

If you like the deep voice and great lyrics of a ladies man, go for Leonard Cohen.

If you like short, aggressive but brilliant guitar noise, go for Surfer Rosa from the Pixies.

If you like original and not too commercial music, go for Sigur Ros.

If you like seventies music and amazing voice, go for Tim Buckley (yes, the father).

If you like soul, go for the best : Marvin Gaye.

If you like humor, go for Monty Python (not Madness, my aunt is funnier).

If you like great songs with lyrics about druids and stuff, go for Julian Cope.

If you like a great live album, go for Flashpoint (Rolling Stones)

If you like folk music and fado, go for Dulce Pontes.

If you like pure pop music and a golden voice, go for Hooverphonic.

If you like true punk, go for Husker Du.

If you like synthesizer, go for Kitaro, Vangelis or Jarre.

If you like cool jazz, go for Chet Baker.

If you like soundtracks, go for Morricone or Williams.

If you like quality, go for the Beatles' studio albums.

Only my opinion of course.

Bottom line is : there's so much choice.

el_barto
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
If you like true punk, go for Husker Du..

He said no emo.

Minor Threat
Jawbreaker
The Weakerthans
At the Drive-In
Husker Du

brett1012
ive checked out soem of the bands reccomended and i really like the flaming lips, pixies, tool, sigur ros, radiohead, bob marley, the shins

i didnt like modest mouse, opeth, fugazi, wilco and mr bungle (only listened to like 3 songs so far tho so its not official yet)

more suggestions would be appreciated

Because I can
sigur ros is really good.

The Avalanches.
Architecture in Helsinki
Ben Folds
Ben Lee
John Frusciante
Damien Rice
John Mayer
Goo Goo Dolls

just suggestions

§P0oONY
Pink Floyd... For their instant classics get Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall.

Also, try some Ska... Something like Five Iron Frenzy.

el_barto
i didnt like fugazi

Are you kidding me?

I dont think I have an insult worthy of the stupidity of that comment.

Phat J
its an opinion man, get over yourself.
ive checked out soem of the bands reccomended and i really like the flaming lips, pixies, tool, sigur ros, radiohead, bob marley, the shins

i didnt like modest mouse, opeth, fugazi, wilco and mr bungle (only listened to like 3 songs so far tho so its not official yet)

more suggestions would be appreciated
check out lonesome crowded west by modest mouse, and yankee fox trot hotel by wilco. everything modest mouse has put out isnt that good, but i liked that album a lot. you gotta give the wilco record a few listens but its definitely worth it, my brother stole mine the f*cker.

vintageSW77
sigur ros are annoying
i hate their sound
good to see the use of downs syndrome kids in their video though

U should get into THE FALL

marvelprince
Seeing as how your mostly a rap listener why not try something different but rooted in hip hop or something with a little soul? Personally I recommend

N.E.R.D
Gorillaz
Robin Thicke
Justin Timberlake (Timbaland handled production for JT's new album. Very tight)

And if you really want to get out there then some personal favs of mine

Led Zeppelin
System of a Down
Tool
Coldplay
Snow Patrol

Phat J
yeah, the fall - perverted by language and can - tago mago.

Solo
Smashing Pumpkins- Mellon Collie of the Infinite Sadness

lorddreamer
Originally posted by marvelprince
Seeing as how your mostly a rap listener why not try something different but rooted in hip hop or something with a little soul? Personally I recommend

N.E.R.D
Gorillaz

Know where I can download these?

brett1012
can someone tell me a few tracks to check out from the follwing artists or tracks reccomnded from any artists u reccomended me, its talking me far to long to listen to all these different artists full cd's and i have know idea which is these artists good material. Thx
King Crimson, Fugazi, Muse, Mr.Bungle, Wilco

~Flamboyant~
Check out some Dream Theater.

Phat J
listen to i am trying to break your heart by wilco, if you like that get yankee fox trot hotel. listen to waiting room by fugazi, i didnt really like mr bungle and i ahvent heard of the other two.

marvelprince
Originally posted by lorddreamer
Know where I can download these?

I try to buy CD's but if your looking for a download i guess you can torrent them

brett1012
King Crimson is ****ing dope, anyone know anything similar, i liked the waiting room track Phat J but wasn't feeling the wilco track, there's something about wilco I just dont like.

reccomendations so far have mostly been on point thx

Da preacher
Get Sign 'o' the Times by Prince, What's Going on? by Marvin Gaye & Band of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix

Phat J
King Crimson is ****ing dope, anyone know anything similar, i liked the waiting room track Phat J but wasn't feeling the wilco track, there's something about wilco I just dont like.

reccomendations so far have mostly been on point thx
its all good, i dont really like fugazi but i really liked wilco. different strokes for different folks.

~Flamboyant~

reccomendations so far have mostly been on point thx The genre I suggested is what King Crimson mainly belongs to: Progressive Rock

The band I suggested, Dream Theater is kinda like them.

lorddreamer
Originally posted by marvelprince
I try to buy CD's but if your looking for a download i guess you can torrent them

I always buy my music, but I'm not feelin to drop about 30 bucks and not end up listening to it. Feel me?

Old soul is real nice. Al Green, Marvin Gaye (The VERY best) etc... You may be surprised to recognize a bunch of samples!!

M.T. STYLE
Love is paradise - First Base
Can't help myself - 2 brothers on the 4th floor
Give me the light - ice mc

lorddreamer
Originally posted by Da preacher
Get Sign 'o' the Times by Prince, What's Going on? by Marvin Gaye & Band of Gypsys by Jimi Hendrix

Yea, What's going on is super sexy. In fact, that whole album is a classic. Not just in r&b, but a musical classic!

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by ~Flamboyant~
The genre I suggested is what King Crimson mainly belongs to: Progressive Rock

The band I suggested, Dream Theater is kinda like them.

Dream Theater aren't like King Crimson, that's the problem with calling them prog.

-AC

Phat J
I always buy my music, but I'm not feelin to drop about 30 bucks and not end up listening to it. Feel me?
you're not feelin to drop 30 bucks? if you're gonna pretend to talk like that, at least do it well. stick out tongue

reggie_jax
paying is 4 suckerz

i second the nigga whoring THE FALL with every post. get a bunch of their shit. if u dont ill ****ing kill u.

EDIT: too $hort - blowjob betty

lorddreamer
Originally posted by Phat J
you're not feelin to drop 30 bucks? if you're gonna pretend to talk like that, at least do it well. stick out tongue

Thats honostly how I talk in real life. No joke! Im from Canada stick out tongue
But do you see my point?

Phat J
no thats how i feel, i was just making fun of you cuz you ****ed up. i buy it if i like it, if i dont i dont.

~Flamboyant~
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Dream Theater aren't like King Crimson, that's the problem with calling them prog.

-AC I can hear a little bit of resemblance, somewhere though. Which is why I added in the word "kinda."

lorddreamer
Originally posted by Phat J
no thats how i feel, i was just making fun of you cuz you ****ed up. i buy it if i like it, if i dont i dont.

Well... that's def. logical.I'm sure many people agree that that's the way to go stick out tongue

Anybody like The Red Hot Chilly Peppers?

Alpha Centauri
I like them, but I Stadium Arcadium turned me off them a lot. I didn't think it was bad, it's just too much of one thing.

Blood Sugar Sex Magik is their best album, but my singular fav song is on Californication.

-AC

lorddreamer
I actually haven't listened to them much. What I've heard (their singles) have been pretty nice, but Im not gonna go buy the albums based on just that, you dig? Do the sounds on the singles reflect the actual albums?

Alpha Centauri
Do the sounds on the singles reflect the actual albums?

Most of the time, yes.

-AC

lorddreamer
Ok cool, I'll look into them. Thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.