Uncle Ben vs Thomas Wayne vs Jack Murdock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Entity
Which death was the most influential to the hero that spawned form it?
And Why???

masterbruce
Bruce would've never been Batman if not for the death of his parents.

Thomas Wayne by a landslide

Entity
Nor would the other two thats the point!
What I want to know is which caused their hero to be a hero the most. Personally I think it was Uncle Ben. Because this is something Peter wants no part of and only keeps doing it to make it up to his uncle the best he can.
Bruce would probably still have been involved in stopping crime if his parents had lived. Just to an extremely less degree.

Howard_Jones
Uncle Ben left words behind that have effected the entire comic industry.

Uncle Ben wins.

Fist fight though Jack wins.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Entity
Nor would the other two thats the point!
What I want to know is which caused their hero to be a hero the most. Personally I think it was Uncle Ben. Because this is something Peter wants no part of and only keeps doing it to make it up to his uncle the best he can.
Bruce would probably still have been involved in stopping crime if his parents had lived. Just to an extremely less degree.

Spiderman already had his powers when Uncle Ben died. Even though he wasn't a hero, he was a good guy and eventually would've become a hero. Uncle Ben's death just made Peter realize sooner what he would've eventually done on his own.

Batman, on the other hand, used motivation from his parents death to train to become the best vigilante ever. If his parents hadn't died, he would've just been a spoiled rich brat.

Batman's parents death was much more important.

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by masterbruce
Spiderman already had his powers when Uncle Ben died. Even though he wasn't a hero, he was a good guy and eventually would've become a hero. Uncle Ben's death just made Peter realize sooner what he would've eventually done on his own.

Batman, on the other hand, used motivation from his parents death to train to become the best vigilante ever. If his parents hadn't died, he would've just been a spoiled rich brat.

No. Peter's freely admitted that if Ben hadn't died, he'd still be a wrestler. Read House of M. wink

masterbruce
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
No. Peter's freely admitted that if Ben hadn't died, he'd still be a wrestler. Read House of M. wink

he might've said it, but do you really believe that? with Peter Parker's intelligence, you don't think he would've become mature after a certain point and became a hero?

Entity

No think about it. Bruce's parents were good people that used their position and finances to help Gotham. Plus Alfred would probably still have been a great influence in his life anyway.

Good people tend to raise good children.

While Uncle Ben would probably still have greatly influenced Peter's life and his being a hero, I can't see Peter becoming anything like what he has become without his death. Just read how he turned out in HoM. Seriously thou there is absolutely NO WAY I could ever see Peter snapping like that.

Howard_Jones
he might've said it, but do you really believe that? with Peter Parker's intelligence, you don't think he would've become mature after a certain point and became a hero?

Read House of M. He's freely admitted it, and House of M cemented it.

Drifter
Originally posted by Howard_Jones
Read House of M. He's freely admitted it, and House of M cemented it. Pete may think that but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true. And I'm not sure House of M can be used as proof in something like that. We know Pete is a good guy. He may have been a self-centered teenager when he started but eventually he probably would have grown up to be a decent, caring individual. And sooner or later he would have found himself in a situation where someone is in danger and he realizes he has the power to help.

Matt Murdock might have ended up being recruited by the Stick and becoming a hero that way.

Bruce Wayne is the only one who's connection to heroism seems to be exclusively limited to his own personal loss.

And by the way, tough as Uncle Ben might have been, the title of this thread made me imagine one serious ownage administered by Battling Jack.

don't shiv
Batman has recurring nightmares to this day about Toms death.
You can not say the same for Parker
OR Matt

The loss of his dad drove Bruce through 15 years of training now that is motivation. Motivation which can be traced back to crime alley Joe Chill and Thomas Wayne.

Nuff said.

Jamaican
Very, Very True

Howard_Jones
Originally posted by Drifter
Pete may think that but that doesn't mean it's necessarily true. And I'm not sure House of M can be used as proof in something like that. We know Pete is a good guy. He may have been a self-centered teenager when he started but eventually he probably would have grown up to be a decent, caring individual. And sooner or later he would have found himself in a situation where someone is in danger and he realizes he has the power to help.

House of M gave every hero what he/she wanted most in life. If you read it, you'll see what I mean. It's the only part of HOM that I would reccomend buying, because it's very well written.

Grimm22
I can see Bruce still becoming Batman if his father had lived erm

Without Uncle Ben's death, Spidey never would have been shocked into the right path

"V"
Battlin' Jack, what a badass. Punked Creel like the ***** he is.

masterbruce
Originally posted by Grimm22

Without Uncle Ben's death, Spidey never would have been shocked into the right path

Are you insane?

Why in hell would Bruce Wayne decided to fight vigilantism and wear a bat uniform if his parents had lived? He would've lived a life of luxury in their mansion and never even been exposed to crime.

Peter would've been Spiderman, sooner or later. He was always a good guy at heart. With his powers, he would've used them for good. What, you think he was just going to be a wrestler for his whole life, give me a break.

Ppl overestimate Uncle Ben's death because of the quote "Great power comes great responsibiltiy" but Uncle Ben wasn't instrumental to Peter becoming spiderman, it was getting bit by a radioactive spider.

With super powers, you either become a hero or a villain, you don't live a normal civilian life. Peter would never become a villain, even if Ben had lived, so he would've been a hero regardless.

Drifter
Originally posted by Grimm22

Bruce would have been a good man regardless, maybe even a great man. But he probably would have used charity or politics to help people. To become Batman he moulded himself into one of the most dangerous people on the planet with near fanatic determination. I don't think he could or would have done that without his pain driving him,.

Peter, on the other hand, got his powers by accident. So, he already had the means. All he needed was a reason or an opportunity to put them to good use. Eventually life probably would have put him in a situation where he could have used his powers to help others.

Kurash
Bruce became Batman because of his fathers death
Peter already had the ability to be Spider-Man, Bens death just shoved him over the edge.
So, in theory, Peter at some point or another would have been pushed into becoming Spider-Man by some other shocking moment in his life
Without the death of Thomas Wayne, Bruce has no reason to become Batman, because Batman was a symbol of what his parents stood for. If they are still standing there is no need for that symbol

The Fake Macoy
On an alternate Earth, the normal Batman saved the life of that world's Thomas Wayne. That world's Bruce still became Batman.

NiņoAraņa
Kon-El wins no expression

Jamaican
AND in a JLA story that had to do with Synchronicity - Bruce's parents never died and that erased "Batman" from the present time (until everything was solved). If his parent's wouldn't of died, he wouldn't of been Batman - it's as simple as that. Nearly every comic mentions or starts off with what happened to him/his parents.

Peter was already Spiderman - what he chose to do with his powers was up to him, but he was already spiderman. Same thing for Matt Murdock, eventhough I'd say he became DD b/c of that reason more than Parker became Spidey for "Uncle Ben"....

lando005
very intersting i would say their impact was all about even, true bruce would have never became batman without the deat of his dad driving him to be the somewhat disturbed hero he is today same can be said about spider-man and dare devil, we've seen what would happen if uncle ben would have lived every single alt reality in which he lived showed this peter becomes a selfish pigheaded showboat completely absorbed in himself he would not have become the hero he is today that's the truth of the matter, and as for matt if his father would have lived he would have still become a outstanding lawyer but that's about it he would be a man of the people but not an avenger of the night in my mind's eye i would say it's about even between them all. peter may be a bit diffrent because he already had great powers while the other 2 did not so uncle ben's death would have showcased a bit more what would happen if you misuse power but other than that they are all about equal in impact

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.