IGN's Top 25 gaming franchises...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AstroFan
While back IGN's "100 greatest games" list caused a stir, so I thought this might be fun to keep track of this week.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/749/749068p1.html

If this deserves closing, then so be it. lol

MadMel
huh..wah??

§P0oONY
Virtua Fighter actually sucks.

AstroFan
I have a feeling the top 4 will be Halo, GTA, Mario, Zelda. Possibly in that order.

Although I dont think Halo should be up that high, but you cant ignore the sales, and you know IGN wont. lol

PVS
probably also gta, not that they deserve it

dirkdirden
Mario numba 1
Zelda numba 2
Final Fantasy numba 3

and I don't have guesses for the rest, but halo only has 2 games so it really shouldn't beat mario, zelda, or final fantasy and if it does I'm calling shenanigans

this is what wikipedia has
Top 20 of All time
The 20 best selling games, originally not bundled.

Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES - 18 million)
Super Mario World (SNES- 17 million)
Super Mario Land (Game Boy - 14 million)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2 - 13 million)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2 - 12 million)
Super Mario 64 (N64 - 11 million)
Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (PS2 - 11 million)
Grand Theft Auto III (PS2 - 11 million)
Gran Turismo (PS1 - 10.5 million)
Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES - 10 million)
Gran Turismo 2 (PS1 - 9.34 million)
Final Fantasy VII (PS1 - 8.6 million)
Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day (DS - 8.51 million
Donkey Kong Country (SNES - 8.30 million)
GoldenEye 007 (N64 - 8 million)
Super Mario Kart (SNES - 8 million)
Halo 2 (Xbox - 8 million)
Tomb Raider II (PS1 - 8 million)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 - 7.6 million)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2 - 7 million)
New Super Mario Bros. (DS - 6.76 million)

dirkdirden

Smasandian
I'm surpraised Half Life is soo low.

Considering its one of better sellers out there and is one of the more innovating titles out there, it should beat Donkey Kong atleast.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Smasandian
I'm surpraised Half Life is soo low.

Considering its one of better sellers out there and is one of the more innovating titles out there, it should beat Donkey Kong atleast.

yeah most people don't play PC games becuase they are gay with there wii motes, sistax, and huge spaceship looking thing. One day PC will rule them all.

Lana
Originally posted by dirkdirden
yeah most people don't play PC games becuase they are gay with there wii motes, sistax, and huge spaceship looking thing. One day PC will rule them all.

I wasn't aware that playing a console made one homosexual ermm

General Kaliero
So what am I if I play consoles and PC? blink

AstroFan
Originally posted by Lana
I wasn't aware that playing a console made one homosexual ermm

Im sure he is the expert on all things homosexual. no expression

ESB -1138
I'm surprised to see Rayman up there.

dirkdirden

H. S. 6
Originally posted by General Kaliero

Confused.

dirkdirden

Well that is kinda like when your watching a dirty movie with 2 girls and 2 guys and the two girls step out of frame and you continue watching. Not totally gay but on your way.

General Kaliero
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Confused.

And how. stick out tongue

Y'know, Dirk, the thread could probably do without your silly elitist attitude and half-witted puns. Obviously, everyone here uses a computer.

ESB -1138

dirkdirden
And how. stick out tongue

Y'know, Dirk, the thread could probably do without your silly elitist attitude and half-witted puns. Obviously, everyone here uses a computer.

Damn if I would have known the dirty video story actually happened to you I wouldn't of said it. I was just joking and hit the truth; my bad.

also just because you use a computer doesn't imply that you play computer games, and that should be obvious as well.

ESB where is the respect. It's the gay master not just a gay master.

K73SK
gears of war will be there in no time smile

AstroFan
Next 5...

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/749/749066p2.html

I have my first complaint, they shouldnt count all Tom Clancy games as the same franchise. erm

I think Splinter Cell alone should be higher on the list.

K73SK
splinter cell made me go sleepy sleep

Kenshinswife
*yawns* it sure did

Kayne Archeron
i didn't really see the big deal about Splinter Cell; i've always been more of a Metal Gear Solid person

AstroFan
Multiplayer is what makes Splinter Cell good.

dirkdirden
wow can't belive the triggers made it on the list, but then again if they made a third game it would be crazy popular.

AstroFan
Wow, I was wrong about GTA...

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/749/749067p3.html

But Im glad its a lower on the list. I dont like how they count all SW games as one franchise though. erm

Lana
Well, all the SW games are one franchise.

Too bad the vast majority of them are crap, though.

Superboy Prime
KOTORs = Best.SW.GAMES.EVER

To me anyways.

Lana
Ush and I have had a half hour long conversation on how the first KOTOR is good at best, and the second is merely mediocre.

I really cannot understand how people think they're the best games ever made because...they're not.

AstroFan
I think the first is an amazing game, but not best game ever territory.

dirkdirden
Ush and I have had a half hour long conversation on how the first KOTOR is good at best, and the second is merely mediocre.

I really cannot understand how people think they're the best games ever made because...they're not.

True the games really arn't good, but starwars fans will play anything thing with the word starwars in it. Just like all the DBZ fans flock to them crappy games.

Lana
True the games really arn't good, but starwars fans will play anything thing with the word starwars in it. Just like all the DBZ fans flock to them crappy games.

Not all SW fans will.

dirkdirden
Not all SW fans will.

yeah but all SW crazy fanboys will.

Superboy Prime
I'm not a crazy SW fan, and I don't believe they are the best games in existence, just the best IN the SW franchise.

What disappointed me about KOTOR 2 was it's clearly rushed ending.

Lana
KOTOR2 wasn't actually finished when released.

I never got to the end, though, I got bored and quit the game about a quarter of the way through.

And Lego Star Wars is about a billion times better than KOTOR.

Superboy Prime
That's your opinion. Lego Wars bored me after a while, but since it was a rental and I wanted some achievements I decided to finish it. Granted I had a couple of laughs with it.

AstroFan
KOTOR2 wasn't actually finished when released.

I never got to the end, though, I got bored and quit the game about a quarter of the way through.

Shame too, I thought it was gonna be better than the original till towards the end. erm

Superboy Prime
I liked the whole plot involving the main char(player) void of the Force etc. it was interesting.

AstroFan
Yeah, I liked each characters story a lot more than the first. In the original the only one I cared about was Bastilla.

Superboy Prime
Bastila ...I loved making out with her in the Ebon Hawk. ROFL. I felt bad corrupting her like that...but that's what she gets for preaching me all the god damned mother ****ing time.

dirkdirden
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/749/749067p4.html

Warcraft made it high thats nice it gets some respect

Ricodrayz
Next it will Have maybe

5. Halo
4.Metal Gear Solid
3.pack man LOL
2. Zelda
1. Mario

dirkdirden
This is my guess

5. Metel Gear
4. Dragon Warrior
3. Zelda
2. Mario
1. Final Fantasy

Ricodrayz
This is my guess

5. Metel Gear
4. Dragon Warrior
3. Zelda
2. Mario
1. Final Fantasy

It's the last one lol Halo will make it on there if splintercell did. I forgot about FF though

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Ricodrayz
It's the last one lol Halo will make it on there if splintercell did. I forgot about FF though

Yeah they will probably leave out Dragon Warrior even though in Japan its the most popular game and they have to release it on weekends because nobody will go do work if they don't.

Superboy Prime
Halo will probably be among the top 3. Maybe tied with MGS and second to Mario & Zelda.

There's no denying the success of the Halo franchise. Halo and Halo 2 sold too many copies, a film is planned, Halo Wars is being planned, a Spartan made it to DOA....meh

Ricodrayz
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Halo will probably be among the top 3. Maybe tied with MGS and second to Mario & Zelda.

There's no denying the success of the Halo franchise. Halo and Halo 2 sold too many copies, a film is planned, Halo Wars is being planned, a Spartan made it to DOA....meh The film got scrapped.

Superboy Prime
not completely. FOX and the other company just backed out after their requests were denied. Peter Jackson is still on boat, Microsoft is currently looking for other partners. I'd say it's been delayed.

Ricodrayz
True lol but the movie probably will suck anyway.

Superboy Prime
It probably will. I can only hope it manages to break the curse of video game movies. I believe if there's one game that could break it is this...but meh.

dirkdirden

There's no denying the success of the Halo franchise. Halo and Halo 2 sold too many copies, a film is planned, Halo Wars is being planned, a Spartan made it to DOA....meh

Well compared to other francies its not that strong. On page one I posted a total copys sold and halo is pretty far down the list.

Superboy Prime
Compared to other franchises Halo is still young.

dirkdirden
Compared to other franchises Halo is still young.

Which is why it might not be on the list, and it wont beat out Final Fantasy, Mario, zelda, or metal gear......at least it shouldn't.

Superboy Prime
You're partially right...but in my opinion any console-selling franchise should make it to the least. I don't agree on the top 5, but still should make it to the list.

Ricodrayz
True, the Chief might not make the list bit I say he is 4 or 5

You know you like the Chief

http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/734/734817/vid_1757677.html

Mario bahhhh, He been there for 7926375679364 years so no suprise if he is 1.

AstroFan
This is my guess

5. Metel Gear
4. Dragon Warrior
3. Zelda
2. Mario
1. Final Fantasy

I cant imagine FF being first, and I wont. no expression

Kayne Archeron
FF would most likely be my first, but as for a majority census, it definately won't. i think the reason not alot of Halo copies sold is because so many people would just go and play it at their friend's house. so regardless of copies sold, a LOT of people played it

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Kayne Archeron
FF would most likely be my first, but as for a majority census, it definately won't. i think the reason not alot of Halo copies sold is because so many people would just go and play it at their friend's house. so regardless of copies sold, a LOT of people played it

The main reason is that not that many xbox's were sold. Everyone I know with an xbox has halo 1 and 2.

final fantasy wont win but it is what I think should win. 15 games, 6 remakes, animated movie and series and a large percent of the world thinks ff7 is the worlds greatest game. It has a shot at first.

Kayne Archeron
The main reason is that not that many xbox's were sold. Everyone I know with an xbox has halo 1 and 2.

final fantasy wont win but it is what I think should win. 15 games, 6 remakes, animated movie and series and a large percent of the world thinks ff7 is the worlds greatest game. It has a shot at first.

no kiddin'. in fact, FF had like 3 animated movies and a series if i remember right (legend of the crystals should've been more popular)

AstroFan
From the way the list has gone so far, id say its a lock that Mario wins, counting all the millions of side games, then factor in that the main games are some of the best games ever made.

Kayne Archeron
if they make a Mario Party for the Wii, there better be alot of wiimote integration or that series is doomed

AstroFan
Already coming dude, right now I think its set for march. It will probably be the best since the original thanks to the WiiMote.

AstroFan
They got the top 2 right. stick out tongue

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/749/749069p5.html

Lana
I'm surprised at Castlevania being so high.

But then again I can't say I ever really got into or liked that series.

AstroFan
I honestly never played one. lol

BackFire
Jesus, Castlevania games are amazing, still the best 2D sidescrollers available.

Mario is number 1, nice.

Lana
I've never really liked them, they've never appealed to me at all.

General Kaliero
Well I agree with the top 4 at least.

Castlevania is a brilliant series; it definitely deserves such a high spot. Almost every game in the series has been an excellent improvement on what came before.

Top three are kinda givens, though. And I would have put Metroid higher, though #8 is still nice.

*continues waiting desperately for Portrait of Ruin*

ESB -1138
Why did they use that South Park picture for the Warcraft series? Do they really have no good Warcraft pictures?

And who didn't see Mario winning this?

Kayne Archeron

Castlevania is a brilliant series; it definitely deserves such a high spot. Almost every game in the series has been an excellent improvement on what came before.

Top three are kinda givens, though. And I would have put Metroid higher, though #8 is still nice.

*continues waiting desperately for Portrait of Ruin*

it's amazing how you can keep the same story for so long and yet have each game making you drool

dirkdirden

InnerRise

*continues waiting desperately for Portrait of Ruin* Was the Castlevania for Playstation 2 good?

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

General Kaliero
I wouldn't know personally, but I didn't hear great things about it. Something along the lines of "Good god, what is this crap?! Castlevania is 2D only!"

Or something.

InnerRise
I wouldn't know personally, but I didn't hear great things about it. Something along the lines of "Good god, what is this crap?! Castlevania is 2D only!"

Or something. funny

Big Sexy
Originally posted by InnerRise
Was the Castlevania for Playstation 2 good?

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... Problem was that its basically DMC mechanics with Castlevania story. What became a problem was there were so many rooms that it got a little tedious. Lament got a 9/10 from IGN. Curse was not that great because after 3 years they recycled the graphics from lament. The weapons system was good though. I liked being able to create blades, and other weapons. I still can't make Death's Staff though. I am missing one material that will creates Death's Scythe.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by InnerRise
Was the Castlevania for Playstation 2 good?

Good yes. Great no.

If you compare it to SOTN is suck big time. but if you compare it to the last 3d castlevania which was on the N64 it is a gift from heaven. N64's castlevania was one of the worst games of all time.

I give the PS1 Castlevania 9.5 only because it was too short.

I give the PS2 Castlevania a 7.5 only because it doesn't compare to the PS1 version.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.