Unhip music you secretly kinda like...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kid Kurdy
Okay, forget about the music police and music snobs. What do they know ?

What kind of unhip music you really like (but you aren't very keen on admitting it ?)

I'll give some examples:

- Simon and Garfunkel : there's nothing wrong with them.

- Sting : before he became boring, he was a kick ass songwriter.

- Peter Gabriel : same thing.

- John Denver : okay a bit of a nerd, but he had a good voice and a few great songs.

- Enya : erm, well, Orinoco Flow is kinda catchy.

- Abba : still sounds fresh imo.

- Iron Maiden : rock dinosaurs, but an excellent live act.

- Queen : at their best, they were amazing.

And so on.

So, start confessing people.

§P0oONY
Queen, Iron Maiden... Unhip?

What the f**k?

dirkdirden
I have no hip and uphip meter so I don't know if what I listen to is unhip or not. Put these bands in your unhip meter and tell me which ones are hip and which ones aren't.

The Mars Volta
At the drive in
Led Zep
Tool
A Perfect O
Britney spears

Bardock42
I have no clue what you mean. Most of the stuff I listen to is unknown here, so I guess you could say it's unhip, while it actually isn't as such.

Sting and the Police are excellent. Simon and Garfunkel as well. How are they and Queen unhip, I don't know. This thread does not make sense to me.

Alpha Centauri
I hate those kind of "I'm afraid to like this, but I do." people.

If you've made the jump to liking something, what's admitting it?

-AC

BackFire
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri

-AC

That's just because you're unhip to begin with, so it doesn't matter for you.

Us hip people have an image to maintain so we can't just go around liking Mike and the poopoo train or something.

sithsaber408
laughing out loud

Justin Timberlake.

I could seriously jump out of the shower and towel myself like a Zest commercial every morning to "Dance With Me" or whatever that song's called.

embarrasment

dirkdirden
Originally posted by sithsaber408
laughing out loud

Justin Timberlake.

I could seriously jump out of the shower and towel myself like a Zest commercial every morning to "Dance With Me" or whatever that song's called.

embarrasment

I can see you doing that as well.

Solo
I couldn't care less if something I like isn't cool.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Yeah, I'm gonna join the gang and just say "I don't get it, yo!". Most of the names you've put forward are classic performers who have stood the test of Time. I don't know what kind of test Time made, but I imagine it involved some clocks, watches and sun-dials.

Any thoughts?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by sithsaber408
laughing out loud

Justin Timberlake.

embarrasment

And this is the guy who is anti-homosexual...

What an odd world we live in.

-AC

vintageSW77
dunno
i keep my liking of HALL AND OATES and ANDREW GOLD quiet

Ya Krunk'd Floo

-AC

True, but isn't it beautiful?

Bardock42

-AC

Why, isn't it a well known fact about the people that are the most homophobic?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why, isn't it a well known fact about the people that are the most homophobic?

What are you saying, Bardock? What are you saying?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are you saying, Bardock? What are you saying?

That something is a well known fact. Something to do with really homophobic people. Something that they have in common with other people that like Justin Timberlake. Something about penises , too, I believe. Well, not sure. Just thought it might be a well known fact.

marvelprince
Shania Twain. As a very heterosexual male I can't been seen going around singing "Feel Like a Woman". Though I have been caught on occasion.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That something is a well known fact. Something to do with really homophobic people. Something that they have in common with other people that like Justin Timberlake. Something about penises , too, I believe. Well, not sure. Just thought it might be a well known fact.

Wait...I know what you're talking about; tiny robotic cows, right?

Bardock42
Wait...I know what you're talking about; tiny robotic cows, right?

I wish I knew. It seems plausible though.

Kid Kurdy
All of the performers I mentioned, were once respected, popular and "hip". But these days, they aren't anymore, or they have at least lost a lot of their "hip factor". I think that's sad.

But remember, being unhip doesn't mean they never were popular, or weren't talented.

Ask the current generation to make a list of the 100 most hip artists => not even one of the people I listed would be mentioned. Or do you people really think that somebody like John Denver would be on such a list ? Forget it.

Why ? Because they are just not hip anymore. Do I care ? No, absolutely not, some of them remain excellent. Who cares about being hip.

It's my personal experience that quite a lot of people secretly like those old dinosaurs, but don't like admitting it because it's bad for whatever is left of their - cough cough - street credibility (Hey I don't really like Joe Cocker okay, my brother just asked me to listen to it, I'm more into dark emo dance trance fusion cool jazz ).

Maybe I should have stressed the fact that I was mainly talking about the "musical elite" we all know (Bee Gees ? Gimme a break, I only listen to Nick Drake and Brian Eno, the intellectual stuff) and the current generation of teenagers, who seem to worship the most overrated artists ever.

Of course, I should have known that it would be off topic the moment the thread was created (Hip ? Unhip ? What do you mean ? Queen isn't unhip.)

This thread is about prejudices, not about deciding who's hip and unhip and why and why not. I'm not interested in that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy
All of the performers I mentioned, were once respected, popular and "hip". But these days, they aren't anymore, or they have at least lost a lot of their "hip factor". I think that's sad.

But remember, being unhip doesn't mean they never were popular, or weren't talented.

Ask the current generation to make a list of the 100 most hip artists => not even one of the people I listed would be mentioned. Or do you people really think that somebody like John Denver would be on such a list ? Forget it.

Why ? Because they are just not hip anymore. Do I care ? No, absolutely not, some of them remain excellent. Who cares about being hip.

It's my personal experience that quite a lot of people secretly like those old dinosaurs, but don't like admitting it because it's bad for whatever is left of their - cough cough - street credibility (Hey I don't really like Joe Cocker okay, my brother just asked me to listen to it, I'm more into dark emo dance trance fusion cool jazz ).

Maybe I should have stressed the fact that I was mainly talking about the "musical elite" we all know (Bee Gees ? Gimme a break, I only listen to Nick Drake and Brian Eno, the intellectual stuff) and the current generation of teenagers, who seem to worship the most overrated artists ever.

Of course, I should have known that it would be off topic the moment the thread was created (Hip ? Unhip ? What do you mean ? Queen isn't unhip.)

This thread is about prejudices, not about deciding who's hip and unhip and why and why not. I'm not interested in that.

Okay, here is a small list of the "unhip" artists (artsts that wouldn't make the Top 100 list of most hip artists of people in my generation) I listen to.

The Smiths
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
Radiohead
Neil Young
Bruce Springsteen
Jeff Buckley
Leonard Cohen
The Police
Joni Mitchell
Iron and Wine
The Cure
Weezer
Ramones
The Clash
The Brian Jonestown Massacre
Sufjan Stevens
Soundgarden
Simon and Garfunkel
Pixies
PJ Harvey
Mr. Bungle
Faith No More
etc.

I get dissed because of it by my homies all day every day.

Kid Kurdy
Hmm... (thinking thinking) I only know Sufjan Stevens by name. Can't say I ever heard a song from him.

Then again, I only listen to cool music.

jaden101
Hmm... (thinking thinking) I only know Sufjan Stevens by name. Can't say I ever heard a song from him.

if you mean from bardocks list then clearly you have no clue about music cause to not know every single act on that list means you must have been living under a rock...or on the moon...or under a rock on the moon...with your fingers in your ears

Bardock42

A joke I assume

Originally posted by jaden101
if you mean from bardocks list then clearly you have no clue about music cause to not know every single act on that list means you must have been living under a rock...or on the moon...or under a rock on the moon...with your fingers in your ears

Still unhip.

Kid Kurdy
What on Earth are you talking about ?

No wait, don't answer, I'm really not interested.

Of curz.

~Flamboyant~
Chip Skylark

http://www.archwired.com/images/Chip_Skylark.jpg

Alpha Centauri

It's honestly too tempting to point you in the direction of the obvious, so I'll just say that from my experience, I've liked bands that people have either frowned upon because they're elitist to the point of liking bands that barely have a deal.

I don't care, really. People have told me I should be embarassed for liking many bands that I shouldn't be; Hot Hot Heat for one, who are excellent.

I do like The Bee Gees.

-AC

jaden101
suit yourself...you're missing out...truely

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Mr. Bungle

You're only mentioning Mr. Bungle so that your butt-buddies (AC & VD) will think you're cool and hip.

vintageSW77
The Smiths
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
The Police
Ramones
The Clash
Pixies

From Bardocks list
These are all VERY hip
what do these so called "hip " people listen to??????????

I guess Italo Disco is kind of a guilty pleasure too
I like a bit of Bobby O and Divine.
Girls Alouds Biology was a track i liked but i keep quiet about that too....that and FLAWLESS by The Ones.

Bardock42
You're only mentioning Mr. Bungle so that your butt-buddies (AC & VD) will think you're cool and hip.

"VVD" and yeah.

Originally posted by vintageSW77
The Smiths
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
The Police
Ramones
The Clash
Pixies

From Bardocks list
These are all VERY hip
what do these so called "hip " people listen to??????????

I guess Italo Disco is kind of a guilty pleasure too
I like a bit of Bobby O and Divine.
Girls Alouds Biology was a track i liked but i keep quiet about that too....that and FLAWLESS by The Ones.

Of course they are hip to some. But if we define hip as what MTV folks think then not so much.

Alpha Centauri
I love all this "I like this song, I don't tell anyone, just post it on forums.".

-AC

Bardock42
I love all this "I like this song, I don't tell anyone, just post it on forums.".

-AC

Well, I try to talk about the bands I like around here. People just stare at me funny. I mean, they don't even care about trivia like Rage Against The Machine - Soundgarden - Audioslave. It sucks around here. I wish I was stupid. Or at least liked bad music. Which is the same. Nah it isn't, but funny anyways, it was funny, right? Right, Floo? Funny I mean. Like "Haha", not like, Dude did you not shower since 1996?

vintageSW77
"VVD" and yeah.

Of course they are hip to some. But if we define hip as what MTV folks think then not so much.

yeah but that aint hip its on the whole commercial rubbish
i think hip is getting mixed up with popular

RedAlertv2
Personally I dont secretly like anything. Which leads to my friends/brother making fun of me for listening to Converge, Cannibal Ox, etc. You know, anything beyond their narrow scope. The good thing is, at the end of the day, I always get the last laugh

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, I try to talk about the bands I like around here. People just stare at me funny. I mean, they don't even care about trivia like Rage Against The Machine - Soundgarden - Audioslave. It sucks around here. I wish I was stupid. Or at least liked bad music. Which is the same. Nah it isn't, but funny anyways, it was funny, right? Right, Floo? Funny I mean. Like "Haha", not like, Dude did you not shower since 1996?

Haha, oh yeah...That's funny "haha" alright. Couldn't be anything other. Who are these people, Bardock? Who the f*ck are they?

I like RATM and Audioslave, too. It's a shame everyone thinks they are so unhip, though. Same goes for Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers...Try telling anyone you like them, and people will just vomit in your face because you are so unhip. I told this one guy about how cool they are and, after he vomited, I had to wipe the little flecks of bad novels out of my eyes. Bad scene, man. Wouldn't go there again...nuh-uh.

What's your coffee? Is it coffee? Coffee coffee?

vintageSW77
Originally posted by RedAlertv2
Personally I dont secretly like anything. Which leads to my friends/brother making fun of me for listening to Converge, Cannibal Ox, etc. You know, anything beyond their narrow scope. The good thing is, at the end of the day, I always get the last laugh

I think this thread is directed at people like myself who like THE DEAD KENNEDYS and old Punk but also like the odd Alcazar single and hush it up.
I guess your pals know what you like already so no hiding.
I have a fondness for 70s disco and MOR 70s rock like The Doobie Brothers and i even like a bit of the maligned Slipknot but i keep it quiet from certain pals.

Victor Von Doom

Mr. Bungle

Very cool, very cool.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Very cool, very cool.

And hip?

Haha, oh yeah...That's funny "haha" alright. Couldn't be anything other. Who are these people, Bardock? Who the f*ck are they?

I like RATM and Audioslave, too. It's a shame everyone thinks they are so unhip, though. Same goes for Radiohead and Red Hot Chili Peppers...Try telling anyone you like them, and people will just vomit in your face because you are so unhip. I told this one guy about how cool they are and, after he vomited, I had to wipe the little flecks of bad novels out of my eyes. Bad scene, man. Wouldn't go there again...nuh-uh.

What's your coffee? Is it coffee? Coffee coffee?

I hear Mike Patton drinks coffee...and stuff.

jaden101

I hear Mike Patton drinks coffee...and stuff.

more sutff than coffee i heard

Bardock42
more sutff than coffee i heard

Tell me more about it.

jaden101
Tell me more about it.

http://www.casperelectronics.com/images/pete_patton.jpg

Bardock42
http://www.casperelectronics.com/images/pete_patton.jpg

Now tell me less about it.

office jesus

-AC

You and me both.

The Core
A-Teens

jaden101
Now tell me less about it.

sorry..no can do

§P0oONY
I like Take That's new album... w00t

lorddreamer
Wierd Al. .. his writing is just so good!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.