As Long as we Desire, there will always be a God

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Urizen
This isn't really a religious topic although it is heavily related.

I beleive that as long as the Human Race collectively desires, or aims for further progression, that we will always have a "God"...what I mean is Humanity has not yet become independent of a need for a superior, or independent of need...period.

The thread entitled, "Has Humanity Become God" I found very interesting, because I beleive the answer is "not even close". That thread is direct inspiration for this one...

Now, when I say God, I do not literally mean "Christian God", or any specific diety in particular, but the WHOLE point to having a God is to have someone who can do for us what we can never do for ourselves.

We beleive in greater things, because it helps us progress. We beleive in the things that cannot be proven, because everything that IS proven to exist is severely limitted and limitting.

Think about it:

1) We are Mortal
2) We need to continously learn
3) We desire things
4) We struggle
5) We adapt
6) We have questions
7) We are fragile
8) We live with conflict

As long as we desire anything but what we already have, and anything but who we are, and any other life but our own, then we are stuck with a God. We are stuck with a Dream. We are stuck with Hope. We are stuck with goals, and are not complete.

Can you truly believe that if the Human Race achieves unison, if we achieve ultamate satisfaction, peace, completion, and eliminate all desire and the concept of "necessity" that God would even exist to us any longer?

Let's warp our minds for a minute.....what if we were ALL immortal ? What if we were ALL invincible ? What if we existed exactly how we chose to, and nothing was unattainable ? Imagine there was NO conflict, not with self, not with others...nothing but eternal satisfaction and completion ?

Would we have a NEED of God ? Would there even BE a God ? How could there, if we became the very concept we label...God.....

The term God implies superiority over who and what we are. But if we became complete, if we had no struggle, and if we were infinite in being...who would God be ?

Atlantis001
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
The term God implies superiority over who and what we are. But if we became complete, if we had no struggle, and if we were infinite in being...who would God be ?

I think that God would be US in that case.

Like in buddhism or hinduism. You are asking how will we think about God in case we were perfect.

In some religions the objective is to become one with God(to become perfect like you are saying). The objective was always to see God in yourself, not as something external to you as it is usually thought.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Atlantis001
I think that God would be US in that case.

Like in buddhism or hinduism. You are asking how will we think about God in case we were perfect.

In some religions the objective is to become one with God(to become perfect like you are saying). The objective was always to see God in yourself, not as something external to you as it is usually thought.

I concur.

This isn't really a religious topic although it is heavily related.

I beleive that as long as the Human Race collectively desires, or aims for further progression, that we will always have a "God"...what I mean is Humanity has not yet become independent of a need for a superior, or independent of need...period.

The thread entitled, "Has Humanity Become God" I found very interesting, because I beleive the answer is "not even close". That thread is direct inspiration for this one...

Now, when I say God, I do not literally mean "Christian God", or any specific diety in particular, but the WHOLE point to having a God is to have someone who can do for us what we can never do for ourselves.

We beleive in greater things, because it helps us progress. We beleive in the things that cannot be proven, because everything that IS proven to exist is severely limitted and limitting.

Think about it:

1) We are Mortal
2) We need to continously learn
3) We desire things
4) We struggle
5) We adapt
6) We have questions
7) We are fragile
8) We live with conflict

As long as we desire anything but what we already have, and anything but who we are, and any other life but our own, then we are stuck with a God. We are stuck with a Dream. We are stuck with Hope. We are stuck with goals, and are not complete.

Can you truly believe that if the Human Race achieves unison, if we achieve ultamate satisfaction, peace, completion, and eliminate all desire and the concept of "necessity" that God would even exist to us any longer?

Let's warp our minds for a minute.....what if we were ALL immortal ? What if we were ALL invincible ? What if we existed exactly how we chose to, and nothing was unattainable ? Imagine there was NO conflict, not with self, not with others...nothing but eternal satisfaction and completion ?

Would we have a NEED of God ? Would there even BE a God ? How could there, if we became the very concept we label...God.....

Tehcnically we are immortal.
Because nothing can be created or destroyed.
To claim we sease to exist complitely is to, in a way go against the laws of physics.

We marely go from one state into another. And our life energy, ie what is making us alive, is transformed into other things.

Conciousness we have not already established what it is, nor how it works perhaps once we understand that concept better, we will be able to udnerstand a lot of things.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Tehcnically we are immortal.
Because nothing can be created or destroyed.
To claim we sease to exist complitely is to, in a way go against the laws of physics.

I know, and I totally agree. thumb up

We marely go from one state into another. And our life energy, ie what is making us alive, is transformed into other things.

I meant mortal as sentient human beings. WE don't stay sentient human beings when we die.

Conciousness we have not already established what it is, nor how it works perhaps once we understand that concept better, we will be able to udnerstand a lot of things.

What does immediate conciousness have to do with anything ?

All I am saying is that as long as we desire for more, then God will exist. When we stop WANTING things, or stop aiming forward, then God no longer exists.

lil bitchiness
I don't think it has anything to do with desiring for more.

It has to do with lack of knowledge for what happens there after. Few things everyone asks themselves at some point in their life are -

Why am I here?
What is the purpose of my existence? AND
What happens next?

Until these questions are answered with satisfactory answers, God will be undoubtedly present for a lot of people.

Mindship
1. Suffering
2. Commercials
3. Suffering through commercials

Lord Urizen
I don't think it has anything to do with desiring for more.

It has to do with lack of knowledge for what happens there after. Few things everyone asks themselves at some point in their life are -

Why am I here?
What is the purpose of my existence? AND
What happens next?

Until these questions are answered with satisfactory answers, God will be undoubtedly present for a lot of people.

A lack of knowledge for what happens here after, leads to a desire for that knowledge and/or a conclusion wink

The Black Ghost
In my mind, the creation of religion, whether you beleive in Christianity, Buddism, etc... -or not, is the written documentation of how people should, in whatever place and culture the religion originated from, act and live their lives in order to be better morally and better in society (obviously subject to the authors...), but in general is to make people better than they are.

Theoretically, if we could reach a point where everybody did follow these morals and everybody was perfect and everything everlasting, God would become faith only, and would lose meaning -because we would be the same as God -but that is never going to happen....There is no argument.

To clear things up, when I made the Humanity becomes God thread -I did not at all mean anything about humanity actually reaching a point in being equal to a God -I meant simply that we have gotten so much power and we use and abuse it so easily -and that will be our end.

So, we have in a way become God, in a metaphorical sense. because we have the many powers that we attributed to God alone once, and we can do all these great things -that ultimately bring us nowhere.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by The Black Ghost
In my mind, the creation of religion, whether you beleive in Christianity, Buddism, etc... -or not, is the written documentation of how people should, in whatever place and culture the religion originated from, act and live their lives in order to be better morally and better in society (obviously subject to the authors...), but in general is to make people better than they are.

Theoretically, if we could reach a point where everybody did follow these morals and everybody was perfect and everything everlasting, God would become faith only, and would lose meaning -because we would be the same as God -but that is never going to happen....There is no argument.

To clear things up, when I made the Humanity becomes God thread -I did not at all mean anything about humanity actually reaching a point in being equal to a God -I meant simply that we have gotten so much power and we use and abuse it so easily -and that will be our end.

So, we have in a way become God, in a metaphorical sense. because we have the many powers that we attributed to God alone once, and we can do all these great things -that ultimately bring us nowhere.

I sort of Agree

Atleast with the part where you said that without the struggle, the concept of God would lose meaning.

If we truly achieved Peace, Unison, Immorality, Invincibility, omnipotence, or WHATEVER you need to make you complete, then what use is thier for a God ?

Gods are there because they embody what we cannot do ourselves. They embody what we do not have: all- knowledge and omnipotence.

But when WE become the Gods, what happens to the old God ? HE or SHE dies.... sad

The Black Ghost
Im glad were on the same page... not a happy one to think about but yes.

lil bitchiness
A lack of knowledge for what happens here after, leads to a desire for that knowledge and/or a conclusion wink

Possibly.

I feel it has more to do with fear of the unknown and curiosity. I associate word ''desire'' with negative connotations.

Dusty
Possibly.

I feel it has more to do with fear of the unknown and curiosity. I associate word ''desire'' with negative connotations.

Vinny Valentine and I discussed something similar to these points last night. He stated, life was like a movie. At the end, it's either a lame credits ending. Or there is a clip on the other end.

Lord Urizen
Possibly.

Desire by itself is neutral. Buddhism and Christianity often label it as negative, but it's only negative when it causes harm.

the_satan32
I think that people believe in God because we are afraid of the unknown, of death.It's good for the common person to believe in God even if he/she doesn't exist. Because a man who truly believes in God won't be afraid of death or anything. However religion has a bad side like all the fanatics and terrorists that kill innocent people just for their believe, it sickens me. Anyway I agree that our imperfections are the reason there is a God.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by the_satan32
I think that people believe in God because we are afraid of the unknown, of death.It's good for the common person to believe in God even if he/she doesn't exist. Because a man who truly believes in God won't be afraid of death or anything. However religion has a bad side like all the fanatics and terrorists that kill innocent people just for their believe, it sickens me. Anyway I agree that our imperfections are the reason there is a God.

Yes thumb up

If we were perfection/completion/as powerful as we want, without desire, than no God would be necessary

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.