What is the most effective infantry unit in Star Wars?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Godzilla
Which of these is the most effective infantry unit to build an army around?

1. Super Battle Droid (Sturdy, dangerous, reliable, slightly expensive)
2. Battle Droid (Ineffective, extremely cheap)
3. Stormtrooper (Reliable, usually effective, independently thinking, relatively cheap)
4. Clone Trooper (Extremely dangerous, reliable, independently thinking, moderate cost)
5. Droideka (Immensely dangerous, sturdy, reliable, immensely expensive)
6. Rebel/ New Republic Trooper (Effective, reliable, fueled by morals and causes, mildly expensive)
7. Yuuzhan Vong Trooper (Dangerous, independently thinking, moderate cost)

So? Which is it?

General Kenobl
Droidekas are just killing machines. Repetetive firing and shielding makes them even dangerous to Jedi.

Clone Troopers are clones of Jango, who was one of the deadliest humans. They are fast, sharp thinking, good aim, etc.

I would say it comes between Clone Troopers and Droidekas.

Gideon
The Empire's military is greater than anyone elses, but that was due to outrageous numbers and advanced technology. Stormtroopers themselves aren't that badass.

Gotta go with the droideka.

Darth_Glentract
Droideka's shields don't always work (Jar Jar took one out in ep1 with a stray blaster shot). For their cost, I'd say that Yuuzhan Vong warriors are probably the best. Their armor can stop blaster bolts and their amphistaffs would slice through the armor on a Droideka with ease.

darthsith19
Clone Troopers, hands down. Sure 15 Droidekas > 15 Clone Troopers but the Clone Troopers are overall the most effective.

kamikz
Exactly^.

A droideka could not fly a ship, give out orders, or have as good manuvers as the clones, they are after all around the best troopers, if not the Yuz....

Gideon
Originally posted by kamikz
Exactly^.

A droideka could not fly a ship, give out orders, or have as good manuvers as the clones, they are after all around the best troopers, if not the Yuz....

You are persuasive.

kamikz
zorro

Brotz
The most effective infantry unit in Star Wars is the Mandalorian shocktrooper. Dangerous, reliable, independently thinking, and fueled by their culture. Well worth the cost.

Tangible God
1.) and 2.) I would not build any army out of droids. Their lack of independent thinking is their downfall.

3.) All in all, a regular human with Imperial styled military training and brainwashing. Effective only in numbers.

4.) Bred and trained from a highly skilled bounty hunter. However, lack of enterprising thought, which is needed to keep them in line and from suffering clone madness is again a drawback. Their extreme loyalty would compensate.

5.) F*ck no. Shouldn't have to explain why.

6.) Pretty much the same as the Stormtroopers, only without the Imperial training and brainwashing. Just ordinary soldiers really.

7.) Stronger than any man or droid, fiercely devoted to their cause. Highly skilled, Force-resistant, tall, won't stop until their enemy is overcome while employing enterprising thought.

Yuuzhan Vong get my vote.

Darth Godzilla
About the Mandalorian Supercommando's, I didn't put them on for the simple reason that they'd dominate.

Darth Martin
I would say the stormtroopers have the mass population and technology. I like to think of them like clones(bad***) and not thier lame selfs in thge movies.

Gideon
I was curious about this; you'd think that, regardless of their movie performance, the Stormtroopers (being trained by a more militaristic regime and equipped with superior numbers and technology) would be greater than the Clone Troopers or the droids...

Darth Martin
Exactly, couldn't have said it any better.

Tangible God
The movies really don't do the Stormies any justice.

Darth Godzilla
Didn't some of the clones become stormtroopers? Is Battlefront II canon?

Of course, moviewise only, Han Solo is almost as bad.
The special effects didn't do anyone justice.

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by kamikz
Exactly^.

This is a good point. Clones are like the perfect troops, that is after all what they were designed to be.

Gotta go with clone troopers.

Darth Subjekt
Clones. They were after all, clones of and partially trained by Jango, not some silly half-assed military academy. Droids cant think and therefore cant make needed in-battle decisions that can ultimately win or lose you a battle.

Kadesh
socks, because they never give up.

ok just kidding, id have to agree with subjeckt

Darth Godzilla
Originally posted by Darth Godzilla
Didn't some of the clones become stormtroopers? Is Battlefront II canon?

Of course, moviewise only, Han Solo is almost as bad.
The special effects didn't do anyone justice.

Please answer. I really don't know.

((The_Anomaly))
I'm pretty sure that there were in fact Clones that were stormtroopers. however after the Clone Wars the Empire not only recruited people, it also used new Clone hosts (meaning there were other clones besides the Jango ones). There was only 1 Legion left by the OT that was still composed of ALL Jango clones, this was the 501st Legion, ie. "Vaders Fist" these were the same clones that sacked the Jedi Temple with Anakin in ROTS. Other then the 501st all other Legions were a mix of a bunch of peoples.

This is how I know it anyways, and I know I've read it somewhere before, anyone have an official link?

Darth Martin
Isn't 501st the only sqaudron we saw in the OT. Those can't be clones of Jango.

Tangible God
The whole 501st's involvement as we saw in Battlefront is rather controversial, you'd think after fighting in all those battles over the years, the so called "pure" legion would be highly dimished in numbers.

And the legion on Endor wasn't the 501st, to the best of my knowledge.

Marxman
Droids couldn't think but their commanders in the Droid control ships could. Decisions couldn't be make on an individual level but if a battle was being lost, the necessary adjustments would be relayed down to the droids.

Stormtroopers were owned by Ewoks. Nuff said about that.

Rebels were fighting for freedom. They knew that it was a choice between life under an oppressive regime or almost certain death. And the man that is willing to die is gonna get that extra inch in battle.

With all that said I still think that the Clone Troopers would be the best. They were trained from birth to do battle. Some were even specially trained (ie Delta Squad).

overlord
Since money ain't a problem I'd go for the droideka army. The argument that they can't fly is rediculous. All other droid armies were dropped off as well, so that wouldn't have to be something to consider.

When I played some weird SW strategy game I also made immense units of droideka's. They move fast from place to place, shoot a whole of a lot more than other units and they can take quite a few hits.

Tangible God
I love how noone is even mentioning the Vong.

Brotz
A small minority of the clones have Mandalorian training, and look at what the Mandalorian Protectors did at Caluula. That's why the Vong aren't being mentioned.

Tangible God
Look what the Vong did to half the galaxy.

braz
Originally posted by Darth Godzilla
Which of these is the most effective infantry unit to build an army around?

1. Super Battle Droid (Sturdy, dangerous, reliable, slightly expensive)
2. Battle Droid (Ineffective, extremely cheap)
3. Stormtrooper (Reliable, usually effective, independently thinking, relatively cheap)
4. Clone Trooper (Extremely dangerous, reliable, independently thinking, moderate cost)
5. Droideka (Immensely dangerous, sturdy, reliable, immensely expensive)
6. Rebel/ New Republic Trooper (Effective, reliable, fueled by morals and causes, mildly expensive)
7. Yuuzhan Vong Trooper (Dangerous, independently thinking, moderate cost)

So? Which is it?

i would say:

1. Droidekas because really only laser cannons can get past their shields
2. Clone Troops(Jango Fetts)
3. Super battle droids
4. Rebel troops
5. Stormtroopers- mere pawns seeing how easy Princess Leia took them out
6. Battle droids- now these things just plain sucked, didnt even take cover or aim well, they just stood out in the open shooting at Lord knows what with theyre pitiful aim.

and idunoo what a Vong is confused

Gideon
Stormtroopers are highly underrated. I am aware of how badly they were portrayed in the movies, but every other piece of EU work has went into extreme detail of how highly trained they were - and I believe even Lucas has commented on it before.

You have to understand that it is simply a plot device that prevented them from killing Luke, Leia, and Han Solo.

Null ARC Avis
it is called the stormtrooper effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormtrooper_effect)
and Character shield (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_shields)
The Vong OWN! They have armor that can resist any type of blaster, soldiers that are bread to fight, like the clones, and have weapons that literlly cut through all armor. They can cover the distance between a clone and them in seconds.

Tangible God
Thank You! Someone who appreciates the Vong's worth. Which is about 5 times as much as any other on that list, at least.

Gideon
Originally posted by Tangible God
Thank You! Someone who appreciates the Vong's worth. Which is about 5 times as much as any other on that list, at least.

True.

But the Empire would curbstomp the Vong. At least, lol, the Vong thought so. stick out tongue

Alliance
Glory to the Republic.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Gideon
True.

But the Empire would curbstomp the Vong. At least, lol, the Vong thought so. stick out tongue Well, if it's just Stormtroopers against Vong Warriors, then I'm not so sure.

overlord
I love how noone is even mentioning the Vong.
That's because I don't know jack shit about EU.

Darth Martin
My list is this and no Vong because I have no knowledge of them.

1. Clone Troopers- can think independently, very dangerous, considerable technology, born to fight.

2. Stormtroopers- very dangerous, there training might not be as good as Clones but their technology is crazy and compensates for that. Indepenent thinking.

3. Droidekas- overall deadliness, super fast and extremely durable. But are droids and can't think.

4. Rebels- have cause to fight for and are effective and have good tech(nowhere near empire's tho. Independently thinking.

5. Super Battle Droids- Dangerous, efficient but no independent thinking.

6. Battle Droids- No comment.

jollyjim311
Well, if it's just Stormtroopers against Vong Warriors, then I'm not so sure.

An average Vong would stomp on a stormtrooper, of course, but, the Empire has numbers and technology on their side, as a military force, they would crush the Vong, but, the typical Vong warrior outclasses pretty much every other type of "average" (for their group) warrior (save Mandalorians).

Out of this list the deadliest single unit is the droideka (in one on one combat), but, the Vong are capable of thought and such, and, while they maybe behind clone or stormtroopers in strategy (although, they can be good), their individual manpower makes up for it, so, I would call them the most efficient.

zephiel7
Arm three storm troopers with imperial rocket launchers. We're going to have some Vong for dinner tonight.

Darth Martin
yes

Darth Martin
bump

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.