Reincarnation and the Bible ??

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

debbiejo
Although the word " reincarnation " doesn't exist as such in the Bible, the concept, however, certainly exists in the texts of the Old Testament, and even more clearly in those of the New Testament. Below, are transcribed some of the paragraphs relating to reincarnation, with a small analysis on what these texts really mean.

Even when, at this moment, Christian religions do not accept the notion of reincarnation of the spirit, this was widely accepted by the contemporary followers of Jesus and the Apostles; it was at the Concile of Constantinople in the year 553 AC when the definition of reincarnation as heresy was inducted as the results of a tract against it by Emperor Justinian, declaring as anathema this concept.

We have separated the biblical texts and their analysis in two parts; the first one concerns the First Time, the time of the Law and the Prophets comprehended in the Old (the First) Testament. The second covers from the arrival of John the Baptist, the forerunner, to Jesus' teachings and the writings of the New (Second) Testament.

We decided to quote the verses and paragraphs both of the OT and the NT as written in the Commonly Known as the Authorized (King James) Version of the Bible simply because it is the one that most English speaking persons rely on.

For there is hope of a tree,
if it be cut down,
that it will sprout again,

and that the tender branch
thereof will not cease.

Though the root thereof wax old in earth
in the earth, and the stock thereof
die in the ground;
yet through the scent of water
it will bud, and bring forth
boughs like a plant.
Job 14:7-9

If a man die, shall he live again?
all the days of my appointed time
will I wait, till my change come.

Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee;
thou wilt have a desire to the work
of thine hands.

Job 14:14,15

For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell;(meaning death)
neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One
to see corruption.

Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures
for evermore.

Psalm 16:10,11

What profit there is there in my "blood" (death in the original text)
when I go down to the pit?

Shall the dust praise thee?
Shall it declare thy truth?
Psalm 30:9

...upon those that hope in their mercy,
to deliver their souls from death...
Psalm 33:18s,19s

But God will redeem my soul from the power of the "grave" (sheol),
for he shall receive me
Psalm 49:15

Wilt thou not revive us again:
that thy people may rejoice in thee?
Psalm 85:6

...yea, all of them shall wax old
like a garment;
As a vesture shalt thou change them,
and they shall be changed;
Psalm 102:26

Such as sit in darkness
and in the shadow of death,
being abound in affliction and iron;

He brougth them out of darkness
and the shadow of death,
and brake their bands in sunder
Psalm 107:10,14

He will swallow up death in victory;
and the Lord God will wipe away
tears from off all faces;

and the rebuke of his people
shall be taken away from all of the earth;
for the Lord hath spoken it.
Isaiah 25:8

Thy dead shall live
(together with) my dead body shall they arise

Awake and sing,
ye that dwell in dust;
for thy dew is as the dew of herbs,
and the earth shall cast out the dead.
Isaiah 26:19

And your covenant with death shall be disannulled,
and your agreement with "hell" (sheol) shall not stand;
when the overflowing scourge shall pass through,
then ye shall be trodden down by it.
Isaiah 28:18

http://144000.net/reincarnation/reincarnation-in-the-bible.htm

Rogue Jedi
shouldnt this be in the religion forum?

debbiejo
OHhhhhhhhhh I thought I was there..............hahahaha

Someone move this pleazzzzzzzz....

Hurry before the crazy people post in here......... no

Rogue Jedi
i was like "debbiejo made this mistake?" i dont think so!!! laughing out loud

debbiejo
beer

Someone hurry...........move it...move it quickly............I drank the antichrist spirit............oh meeeeeeeeee.

Rogue Jedi
s ok, debbie. you still got a fan in me. _cheer_up_hug_

debbiejo
Ok then, what YOUR view? laughing out loud

Rogue Jedi
my view? my view is that you cannot take everything the bible says literally.

debbiejo
OK...........Are all the mods sleeping? blink

Rogue Jedi
maybe they are having a pow wow. or a slumber party.

FeceMan
Originally posted by debbiejo
if it be cut down,

thereof will not cease.

die in the ground;
boughs like a plant.
It's Job. It's talking about how God, though allowing that Job's life to be shattered, will restore Job to greatness.

Let's see...Job is asking "If a man dies, will he live again?" The answer, of course, is "no." The "change" of which he speaks is the restoration of the corrupted body of man to perfection. When God "calls" Job, Job will answer Him--meaning that Job will die and be called by God to heaven. God desires to have the work of His hands (that is, He wants Job...Urizen post in 3...2...1...)

Right. God will not leave David in death, as David shall have eternal life.

Job is asking God this and asks for His mercy in the next verse. What's your point? David will live in heaven and praise God.

Awesome, a partial verse. Smells like taking it out of context...and indeed it is! Whoo!

18 But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,

19 to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine.

The verse, when read in its entirety, is clearly talking about being protected from death.

Yeah...and the grave shall not have hold over David because David will live eternally.

That verse is, again, OBVIOUSLY not talking about the dead coming back to life.

5 Will you be angry with us forever?
Will you prolong your anger through all generations?

6 Will you not revive us again,
that your people may rejoice in you?

7 Show us your unfailing love, O LORD,
and grant us your salvation.

Derp.

Again, another out-of-context verse. First of all, even if it were talking about people, it would be talking about the renewing of the body. Secondly...

25 In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.

26 They will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
Like clothing you will change them
and they will be discarded.

It's talking, you know, about the Earth...not people.

Gee, I like how the verse cites two verses while ignoring the verses in between them.

10 Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom,
prisoners suffering in iron chains,

11 for they had rebelled against the words of God
and despised the counsel of the Most High.

12 So he subjected them to bitter labor;
they stumbled, and there was no one to help.

13 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble,
and he saved them from their distress.

14 He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom
and broke away their chains.

Swallowing up death = giving us eternal life.

7 On this mountain he will destroy
the shroud that enfolds all peoples,
the sheet that covers all nations;

8 he will swallow up death forever.
The Sovereign LORD will wipe away the tears
from all faces;
he will remove the disgrace of his people
from all the earth.
The LORD has spoken.

9 In that day they will say,
"Surely this is our God;
we trusted in him, and he saved us.
This is the LORD, we trusted in him;
let us rejoice and be glad in his salvation."

Hmmm. It sounds like they'll be in the presence of God to me. Not reincarnated.

Hey, it's almost like Christ ascended into heaven...thus, the dead shall do so too.

14 Therefore hear the word of the LORD, you scoffers
who rule this people in Jerusalem.

15 You boast, "We have entered into a covenant with death,
with the grave we have made an agreement.
When an overwhelming scourge sweeps by,
it cannot touch us,
for we have made a lie our refuge
and falsehood our hiding place."

16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says:
"See, I lay a stone in Zion,
a tested stone,
a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation;
the one who trusts will never be dismayed.

17 I will make justice the measuring line
and righteousness the plumb line;
hail will sweep away your refuge, the lie,
and water will overflow your hiding place.

Huh.

I like how all these things never stand up to critique by even a neophyte such as myself.

Atlantis001
Even when, at this moment, Christian religions do not accept the notion of reincarnation of the spirit, this was widely accepted by the contemporary followers of Jesus and the Apostles; it was at the Concile of Constantinople in the year 553 AC when the definition of reincarnation as heresy was inducted as the results of a tract against it by Emperor Justinian, declaring as anathema this concept.

I read something about this a few days ago.

Reincarnation was commonly accepted by the people at the time of Jesus. It was just changed in the conciles. That show that modern christianism is very very very far from being something authentic. Modern chistianism a religion created by members of the roman senate or whoever participated on the conciles.

Nellinator
clapping Feceman.

I'd only add that Psalm 16:10-11 is a Messianic prophecy of Jesus's resurrection. Actually, I think it might mean both.

Jim Reaper
It's presented in pre-christian Norse mythology as well:

debbiejo
Sorry duplicate post and the back side.

debbiejo
Yes, I think it was common in many cultures. Though in the Christian councils it was changed as we know and the ones that had taken the view of reincarnation such as these historical references:

Only two bishops, along with Arius, refused to sign the creed. Constantine banished them from the empire, while the other bishops went on to celebrate their unity in a great feast at the imperial palace.

The creed is much more than an affirmation of Jesus' divinity. It is also an affirmation of our separation from God and Christ. It takes great pains to describe Jesus as God in order to deny that he is part of God's creation. He is "begotten, not made," therefore totally separate from us, the created beings. As scholar George Leonard Prestige writes, the Nicene Creed's description of Jesus tells us "that the Son of God bears no resemblance to the ... creatures."

The description of Jesus as the only Son of God is carried forward in the Apostles' Creed, which is used in many Protestant churches today. It reads: "I believe in God, the Father Almighty... I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord." But even that language - calling Jesus God's only Son - denies that we can ever attain the sonship that Jesus did.

Christians may be interested to know that many scholars analyzing the Bible now believe that Jesus never claimed to be the only Son of God. This was a later development based on a misinterpretation of the gospel of John.

There is further evidence to suggest that Jesus believed all people could achieve the goal of becoming Sons of God. But the churches, by retaining these creeds, remain in bondage to Constantine and his three hundred bishops.

Some of the bishops who attended the council were uncomfortable with the council's definition of the Son and thought they might have gone too far. But the emperor, in a letter sent to the bishops who were not in attendance at Nicea, required that they accept "this truly Divine injunction."

Constantine said that since the council's decision had been "determined in the holy assemblies of the bishops," the Church officials must regard it as "indicative of the Divine will."

The Roman god Constantine had spoken. Clearly, he had concluded that the orthodox position was more conducive to a strong and unified Church than the Arian position and that it therefore must be upheld.

Constantine also took the opportunity to inaugurate the first systematic government persecution of dissident Christians. He issued an edict against "heretics," calling them "haters and enemies of truth and life, in league with destruction."

http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen6.html
http://reluctant-messenger.com/origen4.html

People who understood what was going on at the time and called heretics.

Irenaeus
Tertullian
Origen
Lactantius
Gregory of Nyssa
Ambrose of Milan
John Chrysostom
Basil the Great

Oh and I have a duplicate of a coin mented after Constitine that shows the SUN god on the back and him on the front. This is the man who boiled his wife alive and killed at least 1 of his sons. This is the man who is the founder of Christianity...Constatine the Great.!!

debbiejo
What?? Nobody likes my thread!!??!! mad

FeceMan
What?? Nobody likes my thread!!??!! mad
Uh...I pwned your thread.

sonnet
if it be cut down,

thereof will not cease.

die in the ground;
boughs like a plant.

If a man die, shall he live again?
all the days of my appointed time
will I wait, till my change come.

Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee;
thou wilt have a desire to the work
of thine hands.

Job 14:14,15 .........

Once again, you have no idea what these scriptures are about!

Alliance
Originally posted by sonnet
Once again, you have no idea what these scriptures are about!

Original argument and thatnks for defending your point.

Anyway, sjifitng form physical (ancient Christianity) to spiritual reincarnation (modern Christianity) is NOT that difficult. The Greeks were quite fascinated with the concept of an afterlife, though I don't remember how much of a role physical reincarnation played.

finti
once again you arrogantly think your interpretation and understanding of these scriptures are more rightful than others.

debbiejo
Originally posted by FeceMan
Uh...I pwned your thread. No you didn't. It's just your view on how the scriptures should be taken.....you have no comment on the list of men who were considered heretic when the one you follow was a murderer and a Sun God worshipper? He had a coin minted after himself say something like "Sol Vincus"..or something....It has the Sun Gods pictures for gods sake..... roll eyes (sarcastic)

FeceMan
No you didn't. It's just your view on how the scriptures should be taken.....you have no comment on the list of men who were considered heretic when the one you follow was a murderer and a Sun God worshipper? He had a coin minted after himself say something like "Sol Vincus"..or something....It has the Sun Gods pictures for gods sake..... roll eyes (sarcastic)
No.

Just, no.

Absolutely not.

The people who wrote that blasphemous trash deliberately misinterpreted Scripture by twisting it and, often times, blatantly omitting chunks of it.

They have departed from the path of win.
Welcome to fail.

Originally posted by finti
once again you arrogantly think your interpretation and understanding of these scriptures are more rightful than others.
I can't believe you spelled "correctly" as "arrogantly."

Storm
I agree. Although the word reincarnation doesn' t appear as such in the Bible, the meaning is there. There are several verses that support rebirth.

Alliance
Originally posted by FeceMan
The people who wrote that blasphemous trash deliberately misinterpreted Scripture by twisting it and, often times, blatantly omitting chunks of it.

Here is the pirmary reason why you fail.

Interpretation is interpretation. If its not YOUR interpretation, its still an interpretation. Unless you can provide some good reason why that interpretation is false, it should be respected.

The Bible is NOT coherent, it was written by different people with differing opinon. If you want to object, use souces form the smae book at minimum.

You often run to the other end of the book and bring in a dolphin to superficially show a dog is not a mammal.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
Here is the pirmary reason why you fail.
No, here's the primary reason YOU fail:

I guess you should drink a nice glass of STFU, then, considering I did prove why the interpretation is false.

Seems pretty clear-cut to me.

Not only did I use sources from the same book, I used the SAME DAMN AUTHOR.

I do absolutely no such thing and you could not cite a single example to prove otherwise.

Alliance
I'll be happy to bring it up again the next time something like this comes up.

FeceMan
Originally posted by Alliance
I'll be happy to bring it up again the next time something like this comes up.
You wrote "I guess I drank that proffered glass" incorrectly.

Marxman
I can say that "resurrection" is talked about a lot in Scripture because that's what is offered. Jesus died for our sins, blahblahblah, you get eternal life. I can see how the idea of resurrection can be confused with reincarnation since they are so similar but if you read the Bible in it entirety instead of grabbing the interpretations of bits and pieces, you will figure this out for yourself.

Furthermore, just because there isn't a doctrine against reincarnation doesn't mean the Church condoned the idea of reincarnation. A doctrine against it was only written after it became an issue. I doubt there was a law against abortion until the first abortion was performed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.