Arbitrary Race Change

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tonnochi
This is a big issue in the Comic To Film world. For example:

Hobgoblin Originally African-American, white in the Spider-Man Animated Series.

Jessica Jones Originally Caucasian, now African-American in the new Luke Cage movie (2007).

Pete Ross Originally Caucasian, now African-American in Smallville.

Kingpin Originally Caucasian, and then African-American in the Daredevil movie.

Possibly Luke Cage Rumors speculate Ryan Reynolds as Luke Cage in the upcoming movie.

NoFate007
...Ryan Reynolds as Luke Cage??? Where are you hearing this from? I think he's been rumored for Flash and Deadpool but that's it.

Personally, I have an issue with this (and before you think it, it isn't because I have any sort of prejudice towards anybody). I don't like white characters becoming black or vice versa unless there's a specific good reason for it. Some characters are so small-time that it doesn't really matter to me, like if they would change Killer Croc or something. However, I think its retarded that people change characters into different races just to level out the ethnicities and please everybody. Even though I'm white, I have no problem creating black or indian or whatever characters even for the protagonist...but I think its ridiculous to go "well I have 3 whites, 2 asians, 4 blacks, and uh oh, I forgot about the mexicans, I guess I have to change Bill to Paco so that people won't get mad".

MCD did a good job as Kingpin, I think, but Pete Ross for Smallville was just such a blatant fill in. They had the dark haired white guy, the semi-ethnic woman, blonde haired kind of dorky girl, etc, so they just went "whoops, forgot the black guy...eh, how about Pete?"

Nick Fury = great transition because it added more of a personality to a rather lifeless character in my opinion. /

Of course, I also have a problem with changing such things as having the short-haired Mystique and ugly Rogue, lol. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those "you didn't follow the comic 100%, blasphemy!" people...I think some changes are fantastic (like organics in Spider-Man or the X-Men costumes)...but I think that other adaptations of comics should follow the source material as closely as possible and only set out to improve on things - not just alter them to be more politically correct or "different for the sake of something new". Sorry, I'm in a kind of annoyed mood haha. But as for this topic as a whole, in some sort of an attempt at a conclusion: changing races = good if it serves a purpose, bad if it's done for the hell of it.

Gregory
It might not be just in the name of leveling out the ethnicities. If the best actor available for the part is of the wrong skin color, do you think the director should use him? Or go with an actor who is the correct race, but not as good?

IRTMU-Dragon
Luke Cage was the shittiest super hero ever.

Why would they do a movie on him, honestly...

Hypester
I think each case is different, honestly. First I must establish that when dealing with something that was conceived of in a 'whites only' period and updating it to the present that it makes sense and is even necessary to put non-white into it. Otherwise, you're carrying over the prejudice of the day for 'comics purity' and I think that's stupid.

For Smallville, I think it would have been MUCH wiser to create a new black character, or an established non-powered DC character, than to use Pete Ross' name just for recognition sake... especially after they weren't able to use Lois Lane (instead of Chloe)... oh well.

As for Jessica Jones... I think Hollywood is still scared of doing the whole interacial relationships (ESPECIALLY when it comes to black men and white women) thing mainstream... I think it still bothers some people because they go out of their way to avoid it pretty often. If they do end up changing Jessica Jones to a black girl, then, well, Hollywood is officially scared.

As for Kingpin, well, honestly, MCD is the best Huge actor you can get. They could've gone CGI and spent huge money pointlessly, they could have gotten a lesser less experienced big white actor (a wrestler, perhaps?) but that would have futher diminished the DD movie, imho. MCD was the best option and he did a good job, considering what he was given.

I agree that if it serves a good purpose, then chaning races is all good. If it's done for the heck of it, or to fulfil some twisted vision, then I say down with that. Yeah.

LC is one of the most badass superstrength characters in existance. He's also cool as ice, kinda like Riddick if he was a superhero. If you've never read him, why would you proclaim him a bad superhero, since you know nothing about him?

Scoobless
What? ... when was Hobgoblin black?

TricksterPriest
Better question is, which one? There were 3 or hobgoblins, not counting the demogoblin.

Ok, race in comics. Unless it violates a huge part of the character, just get the best actor you can, regardless of skin color. Best example of that: Michael Clarke Duncan. Daredevil was a piece of shit movie. That's generally agreed upon. And there was considerable outrage at having a black guy play Wilson Fisk. But..., I saw the movie on tv anyway. Late night, wanted to see something new, yadda yadda. Point is, they were right, the movie blew monkey balls. BUT, MCD NAILED THE ROLE. He was perfect as Kingpin. No one else could have gotten that role down so well.

Now, let's go the opposite way. Take a character where the color of their skin is actually a large part of who they are. Luke Cage. You can't cast Ryan Reynolds for that role, not withstanding the miscasting, because Luke Cage is a BLACK SUPERHERO. Always has been, always will be. A large part of his character is his being black and dealing with racial issues. Personally I always hated his yellow costume. His new street clothes are much better.

lightbulb MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN AS LUKE CAGE! ****ing genius! Is that or is that not a great idea? eek!

superbatman86
Originally posted by Tonnochi
This is a big issue in the Comic To Film world. For example:

Hobgoblin Originally African-American, white in the Spider-Man Animated Series.

Jessica Jones Originally Caucasian, now African-American in the new Luke Cage movie (2007).

Pete Ross Originally Caucasian, now African-American in Smallville.

Kingpin Originally Caucasian, and then African-American in the Daredevil movie.

Possibly Luke Cage Rumors speculate Ryan Reynolds as Luke Cage in the upcoming movie. I could see Reynolds as Flash or Deadpool(mostly because he does have that smart-ass sense of humor) but not Cage.

TricksterPriest
So, is there actually a DP movie? Because I only heard it was rumored. Reynolds has the kind of smart-ass manner required for Deadpool. But maybe not the voice. DP has a gravelly Demi Moore like voice. Barry Allen Flash, no. Wally West Flash, yes.

roughrider
Originally posted by IRTMU-Dragon
Luke Cage was the shittiest super hero ever.

Why would they do a movie on him, honestly...

Don't be hatin' on a creation of Archie Goodwin. Luke was a very unique character for his time. A movie on him, would be an opportunity to see a real street level hero in action - no gadgets, no costume.

Ryan Reynolds?? The only casting I've heard was Tyrese Gibson, as a possibility.
I hope they don't back off and make Jessica Jones black, just to avoid some controversy. Interracial relationships are a large part of everyday society now, even if some people in Alabama, Georgia etc. will complain.

Darth Martin
Tyrese would make a good Cage....but Reynolds. Boy Stop!

Super Guy
The change I always hated was harvey dent in Batman 89...
But what the Hell are they gonna change next? Batman as a black, lesbian woman in the ghetto?!

Dynamic One
Originally posted by roughrider
Don't be hatin' on a creation of Archie Goodwin. Luke was a very unique character for his time. A movie on him, would be an opportunity to see a real street level hero in action - no gadgets, no costume.

Ryan Reynolds?? The only casting I've heard was Tyrese Gibson, as a possibility.
I hope they don't back off and make Jessica Jones black, just to avoid some controversy. Interracial relationships are a large part of everyday society now, even if some people in Alabama, Georgia etc. will complain.

Luke Cage is a product of 70's era blaxploitation films. Look at his clothes!! Anyway, as far as race goes in comics and comic to film adaptions, I think you have to take a step back and look at the intentions behind hollywood as it was stated before. For instance MCD as kingpin,yea he did a real good job, king pin's character isnt based around his race so much as it is his personality and his experiences and MCD owned it. If there was a white dude who could have got the part then i would have preferred it bc it would have been a more accurate detailing. Now as far as Luke Cage goes someone already pointed it out that LC is a character whose racial background is prominent in his character and his experiences, and to go on from that hollywood has the biggest problem when it comes to interracial relationships, when it comes to black men and white women. they never have this problem with white men and black women or latinas. White women are still like gold to white amerikkka, they are pure and should never be touched by the filthy big lipped...er uhh nevermind.

Most times when a white actress opposites a black lead, she stands the risk of getting typecast, look at julia stiles, bc im betting you that if JJ will turn out to be a white girl in the movie adapt, she will play the part.

I don't have a problem with race changing if its done to shake up a plot or to introduce a new point, the only time I have a problem with it is when hollywood gets all antzy about stupid ish.

Super Guy
I actually find the whole avoiding of interracial relatuionships pretty ironic when I think that in the Spawn movie, they changed Terry's race and made it an interracial thing... roll eyes (sarcastic)

AcousticDoc
hollywood has the biggest problem when it comes to interracial relationships, when it comes to black men and white women.

Originally posted by Hypester
I think Hollywood is still scared of doing the whole interacial relationships (ESPECIALLY when it comes to black men and white women) thing mainstream...

I disagree. The races of other men have it a lot worse when it come to hollywood interracial media. Black men involved with white, latina, and asian women are pretty common in hollywood compared to other non-white races.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.