Return Of the Jedi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Alot of fans complain about this film and say ony SW and ESB are the best . I say its brillient a climax ending between father and son.

I love the battle and distroying of the death star

General G
I haven't heard many complaints. And yeah, I agree though, this was a great movie, second in my opinion to ESB, I love the Sidious/Vader/Luke scene at the end, it's soooo awesome. I dunno, the only reason I didn't like it much is the damn ewoks. I have expressed this before that Ewoks and a handful of rebel soldiers could not have taken out an entire LEGION OF THE EMPEROR'S BEST TROOPS!!! There's just no way. If they had been wookies, it would have been a lot more believable.

kamikz
Well I guess the lines that go something like "nothing is stronger than a man fighting for his freedom" fits in pretty good here!

sithsaber408
Also, to hear Lucas tell it on the ROTJ dvd commentary, the ewok's objective is to "distract and draw out" the stormtroopers guarding the shield generator.

Not to defeat them in actual battle.

Much as the Gungan's stategy in the first episode is to draw out and distract the droid army from Theed city, so that the Jedi and Padme can get inside.

In both cases, this seems reasonable enough.

EPIIIBITES
Jedi's a very well put together film... It's entertaining and brings everything to a close nicely...people are just pissed about the ewoks.

ESB and ANH are better than Jedi though...and in terms of good filmaking, no prequel will ever come close to it (those are an embarassment to filmaking and to the franchise...especially EPIII...oh my...it BITES)

Tangible God
I know they're a little naive, but I just can't stand people saying Ep. III was better than ANY of the OT. ROTJ, in terms of good storyline and acting, is leagues above ROTS.

queeq
It's a tie for me. I like ROTJ because of the great scenes with Luke, Vader and the Emperor. It has the best opening sequence of ALL films (well, ROTS was nice but very long in comparison) because it is impressive, it's compact, sets the stage for a final conflict and we are promised to see an even bigger baddie....

The Han rescue is allright, not great but good enough. And the Ewoks... well some of it is embarassing. And we don't see much of that strategy Lucas came up with (probably in later years) because all we see is Stormies getting killed and At-ST's being destroyed. Looks like defeating to me...
And then there is the terrible tying-up-lose-ends in such a rushed way, with Leia being Luke's sister, Han Solo and Leia in love.... I dunno... that's kinda too cheesy, even for SW. I guess that's why a lot of people dislike it so much.

To me, the scenes with Luke, VAder and the Emperor ae so awesome that they compensate for a lot of the cheesier bits.

coolmovies
ROTJ has great lines like 'I wanna be a jedi like my father before me '
'so you have a sister ' and so on. Everything is great apart from the ewoks.

Its a thousand times better then ROTS . Its a Classic !!

vintageSW77
true the Vader/Emperor/Luke bits are some of the greatest SW moments
and are way above anything in the PT

and after Jar Jar,Talking Super Battle Droids,the guy who runs the diner and farting eopies The Ewoks are now seen in a different light personally.

To quote Simon Pegg in the sitcom SPACED

"Jar Jar Binks makes The Ewoks look like ****ing SHAFT!!!!"

queeq
laughing out loud

Mr Parker
I hate Jedi even worse than the star wars prequals.damn I wish jedi had never been made.

coolmovies
you hate everything man !! mad

queeq
Yeah. what do you like about SW?

Gideon
Reasons for the Vader/Luke/Emperor scenes being the best? Critics say that they were the defining parts of the movie. But I'm curious what you all think.

Rampant ox
I loved that part because of the music when Luke jumps out at Vader from under the stairs. Easily the best music in the entire saga, kudos to John Williams.

EPIIIBITES
Looking specifically at the ending, it was a perfect climax for the whole trilogy.

It had technology, sorcery, great hand-to-hand combat, and some great veteran acting by McDiarmid, to make the bad guy seem reeeeeally bad.

But even more, it had a lot of tension...leading to exhiliration, when Vader does away with Palps. A great way for the story to wrap up (the good within triumphing over evil). IMO, it was at that point where Star Wars went from being 3 very good and very influnetial fantasy/action/adventure films, to an iconic fable and classic storytelling of our time. That last 15 mins of Jedi really raised it up a knotch and made the films classics.

Especially in the context of the prequels, it's a great way to see the chosen one fulfill his destiny (too bad those films bit the big one).

Any questions?

Antaeus
Return of the Jedi would definately have been the best of all 6 episodes if there were no Ewoks. This episode has the best scene of them all - the fight between Vader, Sidious and Luke.

Because of the Ewoks it may only be second best - I am not quite sure. It is a fight with "The empire strikes back"

Mr Parker
No way that whole idiot Luke/Leia brother and sister thing ruined the whole thing.That was just a cop out lame idea of Georges just so Han could get the girl without Lukes feelings being hurt. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by coolmovies
you hate everything man !! mad

No I don't.I can just spot crappy sequels when its so obvious they are crap. as I talked with you before,stick to your guns when you post something.don't let other posters sway you and change your mind.You were correct the FIRST time when you stated in the movie discussion section that Rocky 4 and 5 both sucked.But then when others started posting they were looking forward to seeing the new Rocky film,you caved in and changed your mind.Again stick to your guns and don't let other posters sway you.I loved the first 3 Rocky films and I loved the first two star wars films A NEW HOPE AND EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.after Empire though,the story writing for the films got to be lame and uninspiring though just like they did after Rocky 3. I can guarantee you that just because a bunch of posters come on here and start stating how much they loved Jedi and try to justify it being as good as its predecessors,I wont allow them to change my position on the movie. roll eyes (sarcastic)

coolmovies
All sw fans agree that SW + ESB are the best and ROTJ is good movie to end a trilogy .

You dont even like ROTJ

Antaeus
Originally posted by Mr Parker
No way that whole idiot Luke/Leia brother and sister thing ruined the whole thing.That was just a cop out lame idea of Georges just so Han could get the girl without Lukes feelings being hurt. mad

I think it was perfect - and the way Luke said it: "The force is strong in my family - my father has it, I have it and my sister has it" was one of the finest lines in Star Wars.

Nice Lucas cool

Antaeus
All sw fans agree that SW + ESB are the best and ROTJ is good movie to end a trilogy .

You dont even like ROTJ

ROTJ is way better than "A new hope".
A new hope (ep 4) was fantastic because it was the first and this stuff was never seen before - but ep. 5 and 6 was better.
But we can probably agree that all 3 were good - which is best is more difficult.

queeq
Originally posted by Antaeus
I think it was perfect - and the way Luke said it: "The force is strong in my family - my father has it, I have it and my sister has it" was one of the finest lines in Star Wars.

Nice Lucas cool

Fine line, I agree, but bad plot point.

Antaeus
Originally posted by queeq
Fine line, I agree, but bad plot point.

blink, Please explain.....
The movie or exactly when Luke told Leia?

Darth Vegas
I loved RotJ when I first saw it as a kid and considered it my favorite until I rewatched the original trilogy some years later. That's when I realized that ESB was indeed the better overall film.

ESB has been my fav of the original trilogy ever since with Jedi coming a close second.

It's true that the Ewoks take away from Jedi, but still, you can't deny the other high points of the film (ie. Jabba's Palace, the Pit of Carkoon, "It's a trap!", the rebel starships flying into the Death Star, Luke vs. Vader part 2).

Mr Parker

You dont even like ROTJ

Not true at all.countless people have come on here in the past many times before besides myself such as Ushgarik and Mechmoggy who also have stated before they agree with me as well that Jedi is even worse than the prequals for obvious reasons.I made a thread a longggggg time ago like a couple years or so ago dishing Jedi and quite a few people came on and agreed with me about my beefs with the movie. big grin

Marxman
"There's only one Return and its not of the King, its of the Jedi."

pr1983
Jedi has always been my favourite of the original trilogy, the final battle between luke and vader, and vader's redemption, to me make that movie better than any of the prequels...

granted its not as good as its predecessors, but i think its a fine movie in its own right...

queeq
blink, Please explain.....
The movie or exactly when Luke told Leia?

Bad plot point... as in: the whole Leia-is-Luke's-sister polt point was a bad thing. It was one of those forced-in, crampy and awkward plot lines in Jedi.

Marxman
I just watched RotJ again and dammit I like it!

The lightsaber battle is one of the best of BOTH trilogies. Luke finally becomes the quote-unquote "hero". He's like 194739180x more badass in this one then any of the other ones. He was such a tool in the other movies.

vintageSW77
anyone who things that any of the prequels are better than Jedi are talking out of their arse
the sabre fights...they get stuck in instead of all that poncey twirling about stuff ,its just so good to see troopers who aint CGI,superior space battles that dont give you a headache,a real bit of menace from Palpatine instead of the laughing pantomime villain of SITH,some true moist eye moments,a hero who you actually feel has had a tough time over the past few years,the best ever bit of redemption in a movie EVER and yip the Ewoks as ive said before aint even irritating anymore personally

the OT is STAR WARS
the PT is a big CGI whackoffathon with all the warmth of the coldest night on HOTH

coolmovies
The final space battle in Jedi is enough to say its a great movie . Luke goes nuts when vader talks about his sister .

Tangible God
Originally posted by vintageSW77
anyone who things that any of the prequels are better than Jedi are talking out of their arse
the sabre fights...they get stuck in instead of all that poncey twirling about stuff ,its just so good to see troopers who aint CGI,superior space battles that dont give you a headache,a real bit of menace from Palpatine instead of the laughing pantomime villain of SITH,some true moist eye moments,a hero who you actually feel has had a tough time over the past few years,the best ever bit of redemption in a movie EVER and yip the Ewoks as ive said before aint even irritating anymore personally

the OT is STAR WARS
the PT is a big CGI whackoffathon with all the warmth of the coldest night on HOTH Damn straight.

vintageSW77
i like this guy

Alliance
You're wrong. PT totally kicks ROTJ out a 99th story window.

vintageSW77
99th story window?

if there was one nearby after seeing any PT flick i would have jumped

queeq
laughing out loud

vintageSW77
i only just noticed that the stormtrooper who tells Leia "DONT MOVE" at the bunker now has Jangos voice

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Mr Parker
ROTJ is way better than "A new hope".
A new hope (ep 4) was fantastic because it was the first and this stuff was never seen before - but ep. 5 and 6 was better.
But we can probably agree that all 3 were good - which is best is more difficult.

ROTJ is crap compared to a new hope. not even close thumb down Jedi suffers from predictability.I mean that whole death star battle scene was like de ju vu all over again.It had people thinking-wait a minute,havent we seen this before? we went through all that before with a new hope and unlike a new hope,you knew how the outcome would turn out and it had horrible plot lines.you want to say they were better than the prequals,fine go ahead but thats a joke to say its better than a new hope.

by the way the proof is in the pudding that jedi is not near as good as its a new hope or empire.The majority of reviews dish Jedi while they are very favorable towards a new hope and empire. big grin

Mr Parker

Nice Lucas cool

Man that was corny as hell when he said- my sister has it.at that point I had a hard time not falling out of the chair laughing because Leia is now discovering she kissed BROTHER on the mouth with passion earlier. laughing laughing

Darth Martin
Great movie, I would just have made the duel alot longer and changed th ewoks to wookies.

Rampant ox
Personally I think the Ewoks are great. Its just the fact that they can overcome a legion of Stormtroopers (the Emperors best no less) which angers me.

Tangible God
Or perhaps that's why they're so cool.

queeq
That second Death Star... that's where Lucas ran out of imagination and started repetition as an art form. All through the PT he did that...

Tangible God
In his defence, it would've been hard to trump the first DS in terms of coolness.

Rampant ox
It must have been a sh*t of a job for Lucas in terms of finding an appropriate commander for the DS who could surpass the sheer awesomeness of Tarkin. I guess thats why he decided to pull out the big guns and put the Emperor on board.

Gideon
Originally posted by Rampant ox
It must have been a sh*t of a job for Lucas in terms of finding an appropriate commander for the DS who could surpass the sheer awesomeness of Tarkin. I guess thats why he decided to pull out the big guns and put the Emperor on board.

Tarkin was the second best villain of the movies (PT and OT), and top five material for the whole of the EU.

Rampant ox
Second to Count Dooku. no expression

But in saying that Peter Cushing did do a fabulous job. The sheer arrogance and malice that was displayed from Tarkin in such short screen time was superb. I doubt even the great Christopher Lee could have done a better job as Tarkin, as Mr Lee himself was offered the part.

queeq
Lee and Cushing were same school....

ToMacco
old school?

Rampant ox
Originally posted by queeq
Lee and Cushing were same school....

yes

Gideon
That's funny. big grin

No. no expression

stick out tongue

Peter kicked ass. Tarkin was a better villain than Dooku. But, Christopher Lee kicks just as much ass.

I know. The words "Christopher Lee" and "ass" probably turn you on. stick out tongue

Rampant ox
whistle stick out tongue

queeq
Hm.

Rampant ox
shifty

queeq
Not that funny...

Rampant ox
Charming to the last...

Darth Martin
Darth Martin's Star Wars Movie Villain List

1. Darth Vader
2. Darth Sidious
3. Darth Tyranus/Grand Moff Tarkin

Tarkin was more evil. Tyranus was plain cooler.

Tangible God
Frankly, Sidious was the evilest.

Vader was the most badassest.

Tarkin was the coldest.

Dooku was the charmingest.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Darth Martin's Star Wars Movie Villain List

1. Darth Vader
2. Darth Sidious
3. Darth Tyranus/Grand Moff Tarkin

Tarkin was more evil. Tyranus was plain cooler.

I dont agree with the list but I agree wth the reasoning. Dooku wasnt 'evil' as such. He was a political idealist who wanted a stable and secure Government, and went about it the wrong way.

Now that I think about it, they were alike in alot of respects. They both had strict 'Human-Only' beleifs. They were both at the helm of their inhumane war machines, the Death Star and CIS respectively. They each held their personal agenda behind a stunning display of charasmatic and deadly prowess. They were each killed by a Skywalker due to their extreme arrogance. Does anyone here know if GL intended the two characters to mirror each other in their respective trilogies. Because Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing were very close friends and they are each in a league of their own when it comes to acting ability.

EDIT: 'Charmingest' - my new favourite word lol.

queeq
They had Me-only beliefs I think....

bakerboy
Only a thing: peter cushing and christopher lee are from the same school because both are the horror icons from the hammer films, british horror films from the 60s and 50s like dracula, frankenstein, the mummy, etc. Both were terryfic in those movies and both did have a great chemnistry together. Difficult to find bigger class and charm what with cushing and lee in the same movie.

queeq
Reallly????? NOOO!!!!!

bakerboy
YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS, really.

coolmovies
does it matter which school they went to ?

queeq
*sigh*

Rampant ox
Lol.

queeq
Not that funny.

Rampant ox
Yet funny enough to make me lol.

queeq
OKay... well, it happens.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.