Spider-man: The Arachknight Returns (In depth review of a must read - Reign) SPOILERS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BlaqChaos
On a dark, stormy night, a spider is washed out of a water spout by the rain. Across the alley three kids are spray painting the side of a building the words "Where did u go?" in red letters. Behind them, a combat boot squashes the spider and splashes the water. The kids turn around to see three armed men in ski-mask. In surprise, the kids cry "REIGN!" The led man tells the kids they are violating the law and orders them on the ground. Instead, they bolt. The men pursue and open fire, striking one kid with a taser-like weapon, bringing him down hard in a puddle. The other two kids don't look back, hoping to ditch the other their pursuers.

In a flower shop, a brown-haired young man and his sexy red-headed wife are getting their money back for a mistake the store made. They are at the counter talking to an bearded, grey-haired man in his sixties. In the background, there is someone yelling the name "Parker!" over and over, louder with each mistake that the brown-haired young man points out. The persons yelling Parker is revealed to be the store owner. To our surprise, he's not yelling at the brown-haired man with the red-headed wife, but to the grey-haired, old man behind the counter. Because this is Peter's second mistake this week, the own fires him. Peter pleads to keep his job, but to no avail. He takes the returned flowers and leaves out into the rain to go home.

On the street, one of the kids runs right into Peter, and they both hit the ground. Peter's only concern is that the flowers were okay. As he reaches for them, the two armed men catched up to the kid and trample the flowers as they grab him. The kid struggles some, so they start roughing him up a little by punching him in the stomach and head. Peter approaches to try to get the men to calm down, but in the scuffel, they tumble over onto him, blodding him nose and breaking his right arm. The men put the cuffs on the kid, then help Peter to his feet and tell him to go home. As the men take away the second child, Peter sees the third hiding behind a corner with tears in her eyes. She crys out to him, asking how he could just let them take him. She tells him that there's no one out here to help them or save them. Peter turns his back and continues home in the rain.

On the TV news, the Daily Bugle Network is telling how the city is preparing fora celebrationg for a decade free of super-powered crime. They mention that the city is also ready to celebrate the anniversary of it's independance. They tell of the mayor, who is viewed as the savior of the city, is preparing to have a secret project activated to protect the city from super-powered attacks. The Webb. A web-like barrier to seal the city off in case of super-powered attack. They praise the mayor as a true American hero, and the city's greatest defender.

In another part of town, inside a highrise, the mayor is sitting in a darkened room having dinner. Behind him stands his aid, and across from him sits a bald, naked man in a near catatonic state. The man flesh hangs from his body as is he at one point had been much heavier. The mayor and his aid talk of how its been over 10 years since their guest has eaten solid food, which may explain why he isn't eating... The mayor offers to cut a piece of steak for the silent guest if he can muster the strenght to reach the fork, the we are shown that the man is handcuffed to the chair and the mayor says "Oh, that's right." in a feint of surprise. The mayor calls the man his "trophy" that he takes out once a year like a Christmas ornament, then after diner orders him returned to "the vault."

Across town, Parker arives back home. His arm is now bandaged in a cast. He puts what's left of the crushed flowers in water, and makes soup, speaking to an unseen person. He tells of how he lost his job, makes general conversation, then ask questions. There is nothing but silence, and he yells "SAY SOMETHING!" The picture pulls back to show the profile of a scrawny, red-headed woman sitting across from him. She remains silent. Peter whispers "I'm sorry..."

In the news, the mayor is now at a press converence. A line of ski-maisked "Reign" troops behind him. The mayor tells the press that with the pending activation of the Webb, the likelyhood of a super-powered attack is higher. He tells them that he is temporarily suspending the electorial process, and that their security and safety is more important than "outdated govrnment tradition." The press agrees, saying he should stay until the job is done. It is mentioned that all large metal ornaments will have to be removed from all buildings in order for the Webb to be fully installed. Church bells, crosses, metal statues will all have to come down. But it is "a small price to pay for freedom." The newsroom also report on the speculations that Mayor Waters will be taking his style of government to the rest of America soon.

Back on the streets, two Reign troops are in the rain talking about how the roughed up and humiliated one person that was taken into custody. A man appearing to be in his ninties is approaching. He is wearing a black trenchcoat, with a black hat and a red scarf. As he makes his way past them on his walker, he is grumbling obscenities the entire way. He spits in the direction of the troops. One wishes to press the issue, but the other dismisses his an a harmless old man, and they go back to their conversation.

At home Parker lies in bed. He is awakened by the red haired woman and they share a moment of intamacy. Peter is not sure if it is really happening or if it's a dream, thinking that this was the first time in ten years that he's tasted sunshine. Then he awakens in bed alone. He sit up, naked except for his socks and cast. He nearly vomits, but forces it back down as it comes up his throat. He can still taste the old soup and stale saltines, thinking that they almost taste as good the second time. He hears a knock at his door, puts on his glasses and an old white pair of boxers, and goes to answer it. When he opens the doors, we see the same old man with the walker from before, but this time we see him much closer. The grey Charlie Chaplin/Hitleresque mustashe identifies him in an instant. J. Jonah Jameson. His head bald, except for a few random hairs. He holds a small stuffed padded envelope under his arm that he drops inside the door. He talks to Peter telling him how good it is to see him again, making small talk. He keeps smiling and talking to Peter, but Peter remains silent. Jameson keeps refering to him as "my boy" and "son" but Peter simply closes the door in his face. Through the door Jameson tells Peter that he came a long way to see him, that he didn't expect to be welcomed with open arms, but that they have a lot to talk about. That they have "history". When he gets no reply from Peter, he simply says "Open the package Parker. I've been holding it for you for a long time." and leaves.

Inside his apartment, Peter sits down agaisnt the door, nearly in tears. He takes the package and begins to examine it.

Outside, Jameson heads down the street in the rain, once again spouting obscenities. He comes to a car, takes his walker, and begins to smash it into the windows yelling ever louder. The two Reign troops see him and decide that he's no longer a "harmless" old man, and head over to him.

Peter open the package and takes out a camera. One that he left at the Bugle years ago. He wonders if there's even any film inside, thinking of how it's been years since he's taken ANY pictures. THen dismisses Jameson a a crazy old man.

Outside, Jameson smacks one of the troops in the head with his walker. The other thinks it's funny.

Inside, Peter notices something odd about the black fabric that the camera was wrapped in...

The other troop comes over to Jameson smiling, triying to get him to calm down. Jameson gives him a left hook across the face, and a nose bleed, while screaming "PARKER!"

Upstairs, Peter drops the camera and the fabric in surprise.

The Reign troops decide to teach Jameson a lesson. Jameson still ranting and raving.

Looking at the black fabric on the floor, Peter notices that it has eyes. He sees his own reflection in the silvery, reflective eye, and slowly reachs down to it.

On the street, Jameson is being pummelled by the two troops. He yells "Parker! Help!" As the two men move in to finish him off, Jameson starts to say that he's sorry. They tell him that sorry isn't going to cut it, but as he goes on about being sorry for everything, the realize that he's not talking to them. They look behind them and see Spider-man landing; wearing nothing but his socks, boxers, cast, and mask from his black costume. One holds down Jameson, while the other goes for Spidey. Peter takes him down quickly. The other, more cautious, pulls his gun and moves in on Spidey. Peter fights through the pain of old bones and unused muscles as he jumps the guys. As he beats him, he sees himself in his classic costume. He sees the man that killed his uncle, that he later killed. He sees his Aunt May while he sees himself as a boy. He sees Mary Jane as he sees himself as a man. He sees his Uncle Ben with a hole in his head, as he sees himself in all black. Then he comes back to the present and sees Jameson. Jameson tells him that he found it with his old things at the Bugle. He remarks that for years Peter let him hate him. That he was a newspaper man, and that he dealt in truth, but Peter gave him nothing but lies. He tells Peter that's why he sold the Bugle, because Peter made him a liar. Then he tells Peter that that's all in the past, and he wants to put it behind them. "I need you. The city needs you." he ask Peter can he count on him...and Peter knocks him out cold, then walks awy in the rainy night.

END BOOK ONE

doctorstrongbad
Who wrote this? Do you have a link?

Dan-El
I think this is from that upcoming Spider-Man comic, Spider-Man: Reign

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Dan-El
I think this is from that upcoming Spider-Man comic, Spider-Man: Reign

It sounds like an awesome comic book. smile

Ultraman Baltan
Sounds like a fanfic.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan
Sounds like a fanfic.

It could be, a comic would be cooler.

BlaqChaos
This isn't a fanfic or a professional review. This is just my summary of the first issue, a synopsis. It came out on Wednesday and since no one was talking about it, I thought I'd tell everyone what the story was. If it was a fanfic, it wouldn't be tagged as a spoiler.

You've all seen the cover of the first issue. It's the one where you see a battered Spidey clutching a tombstone that says "Here lies Mary Jane Parker".

I'm just saying that the book is really worth checking out (although, I could've really gone without having to see Peter's shriveled up, sixty year old dick in the book).

It's in the Marvel Knights line so be ready for some harsh language (for a Spider-man book), nudity (as I just mentioned), and violence (with plenty of blood seen).

BlaqChaos
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Man:_Reign

doctorstrongbad
Awesome I will have to check it out, except for the naked old man parts.

BlaqChaos
But am I the only person reminded of "The Dark Knight Returns" by this?

BlaqChaos
Hey, I found an article with pictures online.

http://www.newsarama.com/WW_Chicago_06/Marvel/reign/andrews.html

PRAYERRUN
While I love the plot, it's kinda dark for a spidey story.

Lucid Lui
Originally posted by BlaqChaos
But am I the only person reminded of "The Dark Knight Returns" by this? I haven't read it yet but all the reviews i've read say that aswell. They all say it's a good read, and has alot of potential, but it needs to establish it's own identity or it'll just be remembered as a DKR copy.

Hopefully it does (establish it's own identity), cause it certainly sounds like it could be one of the great Spider-Man stories.

steverules
Is mary Jane dying?????????????

Black Adam
Originally posted by steverules
Is mary Jane dying?????????????

I think she's already dead and parker is just hallucinating.

all in all it was pretty good read. I guess I'll stick around for the second issue to see old man parker kick some totalitarian ass.

doctorstrongbad
It would be a new direction for Spider-man.

Dan-El
I picked up a copy. It was interesting to say the least. Pete is definitely a broken man in this ish.

doctorstrongbad
I picked up a copy. It was interesting to say the least. Pete is definitely a broken man in this ish.

How was the art? Have they shown any bad guys yet? I'm sure he will bounce back.

Black Adam
Originally posted by doctorstrongbad
How was the art? Have they shown any bad guys yet? I'm sure he will bounce back.

The art was all right.. not great but passable.

as for bad guys....i think they showed a skinnier( with flaps and flaps of skin hanging of him) Kingpin.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Black Adam

as for bad guys....i think they showed a skinnier( with flaps and flaps of skin hanging of him) Kingpin.

I wonder what happened to KingPin?

H. S. 6
I wonder what happened to KingPin?

You ever see Fat Bastard after Jenny Craig?

Yup.

Gannon
Originally posted by H. S. 6
You ever see Fat Bastard after Jenny Craig?

Yup.
laughing

Dan-El

I was trying to figure out who that was. My mind was saying the Blob, but I *****-slapped that thought.

doctorstrongbad
I wonder if all the bad guys will look this beaten and defeated?

DBZ MAN
I thought it was the blob or summat.

steverules
How does MJ die..who kills her...and why didn't Pete save her?

Black Adam
Originally posted by steverules
How does MJ die..who kills her...and why didn't Pete save her?

it's only been the first issue. It doesn't say.

steverules
Oh so she's dead but we don't know how or when?

H. S. 6
The panels with half computer-generated art and half hand-drawn art pissed me off. It looks... ugly.

Doc Ock
The panel where we saw Peter's ding dong disturbed me more no expression

doctorstrongbad
The panels with half computer-generated art and half hand-drawn art pissed me off. It looks... ugly.

I'm not sure why they did that, maybe it was supose to look high tech or something? It was different, but still good.

H. S. 6
If Peter is around 60, how the hell is Jameson still alive and kicking? Shouldn't he be, like, 90?

Doc Ock
You never heard of someone living to their 90's??

H. S. 6
Originally posted by Doc Ock
You never heard of someone living to their 90's??

I've never heard of someone fighting two guards in their 90's.

Doc Ock
I've never heard of someone fighting two guards in their 90's.

You've never heard of an old person lashing out?? Especially some grumpy old man??

doctorstrongbad
You've never heard of an old person lashing out?? Especially some grumpy old man??

Maybe at Publix trying to get a good deal on a dented can of corn. hehe To be fair, I do live in Florida. We have plenty of elderly folks down here.

Doc Ock
Old people can be quite fiesty when they want to be.

doctorstrongbad
Old people can be quite fiesty when they want to be.

You should see them when its time for Matlock.

NiņoAraņa
this was a really good read, the panel that was white and kinda passed by everyone he "dissapointed" was great, really creepy.

Doc Ock
You should see them when its time for Matlock.

LOL! Reminds me of Grandpa Simpson.

H. S. 6

I've never seen a 90+ year old make a man in their prime bleed.

Doc Ock
I've never seen a 90+ year old make a man in their prime bleed.

Not many old men get into brawls like that.

doctorstrongbad
Not many old men get into brawls like that.

If there was a sale on laxatives or prunes, they might duke it out. hehe

Dan-El
Jameson's still alive because he's a fighter. He went from copyboy to reporter to Editor in Chief of the Daily Bugle through the majority of his life. He's overcome alcoholism, the death of his wife, his son being a werewolf, and the tiresome taunts of "that webbed menace!"

NiņoAraņa
he's only like 60-70(max) there......

doctorstrongbad
Jameson's still alive because he's a fighter. He went from copyboy to reporter to Editor in Chief of the Daily Bugle through the majority of his life. He's overcome alcoholism, the death of his wife, his son being a werewolf, and the tiresome taunts of "that webbed menace!"

Jameson has always been driven by his goals. The man is a survivor, its too bad he is always against Spider-man.

H. S. 6

Dan-El
I'd say 85

doctorstrongbad
If Peter's 60 in Reign (at the very least) and Jameson was 50 when Parker started to work at the Daily Bugle, JJJ's 90, at least.

This is the future, maybe they have meds that increase your lifespan?

NiņoAraņa
anybody pick up number two?

Doc Ock
Yes, I did. It was great. Lots of villains featured in it.

Dan-El
I'm liking Reign so far, but I really hate all this darkness in Spidey's life right now. Not just in Reign, but also with the Civil War, and the Back in Black deal to hype up SM3. I'm really missing the adventurous Peter before the Other came to pass. The only titles I usually end up smiling about are USM and Friendly Neighborhood. Amazing is getting depressing when it comes to Pete's situation, Spectacular isn't focusing on him at all as of late, Civil War has him fighting his former friends and allies. I feel beat up just watching Pete get, well, beat up.

H. S. 6
I thought the second issue was decent. Not much happened, but a nice twist at the end.

Dan-El
Agreed!

doctorstrongbad
I thought the second issue was decent. Not much happened, but a nice twist at the end.

Are we allowed to tell the ending on here?

Doc Ock
Are we allowed to tell the ending on here?

Doc Ock is burying Peter alive in a graveyard next to MJ, Aunt May, and Uncle Ben.

Spiderman_RJ
i just read the book and after civil war.....wow....marvel is really showing their point of view againt the u.s governament. too bad many readers ignore this.

Doc Ock
Originally posted by Spiderman_RJ
i just read the book and after civil war.....wow....marvel is really showing their point of view againt the u.s governament. too bad many readers ignore this.

That's not true. It may be quiet on this board , but I've seen other message boards, and many people are reading and enjoying this title.

Sparkz
I'm liking Reign so far, but I really hate all this darkness in Spidey's life right now. Not just in Reign, but also with the Civil War, and the Back in Black deal to hype up SM3. I'm really missing the adventurous Peter before the Other came to pass. The only titles I usually end up smiling about are USM and Friendly Neighborhood. Amazing is getting depressing when it comes to Pete's situation, Spectacular isn't focusing on him at all as of late, Civil War has him fighting his former friends and allies. I feel beat up just watching Pete get, well, beat up.

You mean JMS's run before all the upgrades? and the whole Ezikle stuff.

doctorstrongbad

Thats beacuse DC is set in a fake, made up world. Marvel is set in the real world. Thats why I like them better. smile

Sparkz
Thats beacuse DC is set in a fake, made up world. Marvel is set in the real world. Thats why I like them better. smile

What does DC have to do with anything in this topic?

Doc Ock
Actually, Marvel characters are more sci fi based than DC's ones.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Sparkz
What does DC have to do with anything in this topic?

Marvel can appeal to the real world, like 9/11 or talk about the government.

Spiderman_RJ made a comment about Marvel and their view of the government.

NiņoAraņa
edit: i asked this already lol

well i just picked up number 2, i like i like! it's starting to answer tiny questions too. does anyone think it might become Canon?

Doc Ock

Spiderman_RJ
what is a canon? if you mean continuity no this is another universe and even though it migh implies it relates to civil war, i consider this just a what if civil war was sucefull?

Dan-El
Originally posted by Sparkz
You mean JMS's run before all the upgrades? and the whole Ezikle stuff.

I liked Ezekiel, Morlun, and Shathra just fine! Once Pete joined the Avengers, it all went downhill. Hell, it might've been doing that since Romita Jr. left, though, unlike Ock and several others here, I liked the Sins Past storyline.

doctorstrongbad
I liked Ezekiel, Morlun, and Shathra just fine! Once Pete joined the Avengers, it all went downhill. Hell, it might've been doing that since Romita Jr. left, though, unlike Ock and several others here, I liked the Sins Past storyline.

Were the Avengers all old as well? Which members were on the team? I haven't seen that issue yet.

Dan-El
Were the Avengers all old as well? Which members were on the team? I haven't seen that issue yet.

Wait, what? It was after the Avengers Disassembled line, and Cap convinces Tony, after the massive prison break on Ryker's, that they should reform the Avengers.

doctorstrongbad

Who was in the Avengers line up? Were they all old as well?

Spiderman_RJ
cap,iron man,wolverine, luke cage, spide man and woman. and sentry

Sparkz

Yeah I loved that run, and while I didnt like what sins past did to Gwen stacy but I did enjoy the story itself. he did go down hill after awhile but I'v never thought he's done a bad story.

doctorstrongbad
cap,iron man,wolverine, luke cage, spide man and woman. and sentry

That's in the current universe. I thought we were talking about the Archknight story line?

Dan-El
We were. I just expressed my dislike for how dark Peter's life is becoming. I still like JMS as a writer, I just wish the editors would pull Pete out of this rut.

H. S. 6
Actually, Marvel characters are more sci fi based than DC's ones.

How do you figure?

doctorstrongbad
cap,iron man,wolverine, luke cage, spider man and woman. and sentry

Who is the other member? The guy is the mask and grey outfit. I heard a rumor it was daredevil.

NiņoAraņa
wait, three is out?

Doc Ock
No, it's not.

doctorstrongbad

NiņoAraņa
feb. something, late i presume

Bardock42
Holy shit, that sounds great. I need it. Stupid Germany...stupid not having the Comics I want.

doctorstrongbad
Originally posted by Bardock42
Holy shit, that sounds great. I need it. Stupid Germany...stupid not having the Comics I want.

Can't you order them on-line? Thats what I would do. yep yep

NiņoAraņa
i love me some Reign......can't wait til 4

Dan-El
After I read issue 3, I realized that this book is all about hope! Man, Andrews really throws ya for loops in this comic!

DBZ MAN
After I read issue 3, I realized that this book is all about hope! Man, Andrews really throws ya for loops in this comic!
I gathered that after issue 1.

doctorstrongbad

Yeah man if anybody can handle it, its the web head Peter Parker.

H. S. 6
Meh. Issue three was disappointing. Hopefully 4 is better.

Black Adam
A THOUSAND EGGS OF CANCER!!

yeah this series really didn't turn out the way I imagined it would. It's either giving me LOL moments intentionally or the writer can't write drama.
also the art seems to be getting worse. I better not see that ugly ass newscaster again.

doctorstrongbad
The art wasn't bad just different. They are trying to make this an unique comic.

NiņoAraņa
A THOUSAND EGGS OF CANCER!!

yeah this series really didn't turn out the way I imagined it would. It's either giving me LOL moments intentionally or the writer can't write drama.
also the art seems to be getting worse. I better not see that ugly ass newscaster again. yeah he's prob. gonna be on the first page

The art wasn't bad just different. They are trying to make this an unique comic. i agree, i have no problems with the art

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Peter making out with MJs corpse was SO ****ING GROSS.........I MEAN, WTF! but uh, that's just me....ermm

and i decree Venom is gonna DESTROY old Parker....

H. S. 6
The art wasn't bad just different. They are trying to make this an unique comic.

I personally think it sucks.

Darkside 999
it sucks too cartooney

doctorstrongbad
I never said it was the world's best art, just a little different than the other artwork out there.

Dan-El
I think the art, for the mood the book is trying to set, is dead on. In a similar subject, I was disappointed in Frank Miller's art in The Dark Knight Returns.

doctorstrongbad
I think the art, for the mood the book is trying to set, is dead on. In a similar subject, I was disappointed in Frank Miller's art in The Dark Knight Returns.

I really hated that art in that book. Wasn't that the one when Robin finally came out of the closet?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.