"Hurt" by Johnny Cash

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwcxf55fzHE

This is a song by Johnny Cash, a cover of a Nine Inch Nails song. I'd heard this song a long time ago, and was re-introduced to it by Dusty. I'm going to say it, I love this song. With a passion. It's a very powerful lament of life, helped in no small part by Cash's powerful, time-worn voice.

I've made some bad choices in my life recently (not drugs or anything, bad academic choices), and this song helped me to realize what I always tell myself: you make the choices you make. Telling yourself is definitely not the same as being told by someone else, or even a song. Nothing can change what you've done. All you can do is figure out what to do next.

Victor Von Doom
I think I may be the only person who isn't really a fan of this. I don't see the big deal about it.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
I think I may be the only person who isn't really a fan of this. I don't see the big deal about it.

It's a good cover. End of big deal.

Strangelove
I think I may be the only person who isn't really a fan of this. I don't see the big deal about it. It's not really about the song, it's a sorrowful lament of a life wasted.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Strangelove
It's not really about the song, it's a sorrowful lament of a life wasted.

Well, why then the Cash version though?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well, why then the Cash version though? Because I like his version better. There's the fact the he died shortly after its release, and his voice is much better suited to the mournful tone.

The Core
I know the intentions were good, but that entire album is kind of embarassing. As if people were trying to get Johnny Cash to live up to his hype, regardless of his health. He's good, but I've always found him to be overrated.

~Da Rev~
NIN does it better

Strangelove
Originally posted by The Core
I know the intentions were good, but that entire album is kind of embarassing. As if people were trying to get Johnny Cash to live up to his hype, regardless of his health. He's good, but I've always found him to be overrated. I'm not a huge fan of him by any means, but being a theatre major, I know when someone's got a voice that can pack a punch.Originally posted by ~Da Rev~
NIN does it better I like 'em both a lot

Kid Kurdy
It's an amazing cover. I'm not afraid to admit I was moved when I saw the accompanying video for the first time.

So was Reznor by the way.

amity75
He knew he was on his last legs when he sang it and that makes it all the more powerful. And Johnny Cash WAS an interesting character. I don't think it would have had the same impact if someone like Kenny Rogers had covered it...

Bardock42
I know the intentions were good, but that entire album is kind of embarassing. As if people were trying to get Johnny Cash to live up to his hype, regardless of his health. He's good, but I've always found him to be overrated.

I am very fond of American IV, what is your beef with it?

Tptmanno1
I agree, I like Trent's version better.
And I remember getting into an argument over who wrote this first..
Was funny...

Dusty
I can't help but weep when I watch the music video. I'm a huge Cash fan, and I'll admit this is probably the greatest music video ever made. I would say this even if I wasn't a fan.

I feel very different. I actually prefer Johnny's late stuff to his earlier songs. His last albums were his best, in my personal opinion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Was funny...

Yeah, cause like an argument over "who wrote it first" implies that someone wrote it second...haha, hilarious.

Victor Von Doom
This is what I thought- not even a musical appreciation for the most part, more philosophical.

Bardock42
This is what I thought- not even a musical appreciation for the most part, more philosophical.

...what?

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Was funny...

Someone who should have known better actually accused me, more or less, of getting it wrong when I suggested that Reznor wrote it.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Someone who should have known better actually accused me, more or less, of getting it wrong when I suggested that Reznor wrote it.

-AC

Johnny Cash?

Alpha Centauri
Johnny Cash?

Precisely.

-AC

Bardock42
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Precisely.

-AC

That old bastard liar...

Victor Von Doom
...what?

That the song owes its high stature to factors other than musical content.

Bardock42
That the song owes its high stature to factors other than musical content.

Oh...yeah, true, true. Good song regardless.

Kram3r
I haven't heard other versions of this song but this was pretty powerful nevertheless.

Punkyhermy
Originally posted by Strangelove
It's not really about the song, it's a sorrowful lament of a life wasted.

exactly.

i know the feeling.

"if i could start again,
a million miles away.

i would keep myself,
i would find a way."

*le sigh*

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.