Teacher at my school banned for 2 days..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kelly_LS
A teacher at my school was banned for two days without pay because he said the "N" word while reading a book and it didn't so much offend the kid (yes he's black), but he went home and told his mother and she made a big deal out of it and it was all over the Kentucky news. I swear that's the STUPIDEST thing ever. I haven't got all of the details and I don't know if the kid just WANTED to get the teacher in trouble, or if he really WAS offended by the contents in the book but I heard that before they began reading he warned the class and said that he was sorry if any of the content was offensive. In my sophomore year we were reading Huck Finn and if anyone has read that book (probably everyone), you all know how many times the "N" word is referred in that book and my teacher said it each and every time, and warned the class before we began reading the book.

I kind of felt this belonged here because it's more of a discussion topic, so sorry if it has to be moved. It's just really irksome that they have to blow something out of proportion. If I find out any details I will update.

Mr. Sandman
Haha you live in Kentucky.

That word isn't a problem in NY. Everyone says it, nobody cares.

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Haha you live in Kentucky.

That word isn't a problem in NY. Everyone says it, nobody cares.
It's boring here. And everyone blows everything out of proportion.

And I won't say I don't say it when referring to my friends just for fun. But this was purely educational wise.

Bardock42
Well...that's pretty stupid. though, why would he have to read it loud and say it each and every time? I mean. Anyways, he shouldn't get banned for such a thing.

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by Bardock42
Well...that's pretty stupid. though, why would he have to read it loud and say it each and every time? I mean. Anyways, he shouldn't get banned for such a thing.

Because that's the way it was written?

that was a stupid question.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Because that's the way it was written?

that was a stupid question.

Yes, one would assume Sophomores are able to read for themselves though. Then again. Kentucky. Then again Kentucky in the US. Nevermind.

Nellinator
Yes, one would assume Sophomores are able to read for themselves though. Then again. Kentucky. Then again Kentucky in the US. Nevermind.
I hope you are referring to American public education. In which case hysterical

PVS
lolz cuz amerikans iz stupid hyuk hyuk

good one, toolbox

Fishy
What kind of stupid thing is this? And why the hell are you calling it the N word?

Claiming people should be able to say it and then refusing to say it can be seen as hypocritical... After all it's not like there is anything bad about the word. Not to mention that some people might not know what you are talking about.

Anyways stupid school stupid mom... stupid everything.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
lolz cuz amerikans iz stupid hyuk hyuk

good one, toolbox

Thankies, I knew you'd like it.

Kelly_LS
I'm not sure, but then again it's a part of the literature. I do see what you mean though.
I don't know what grade this teacher teaches though, I was just referring to when I was a sophomore (now a senior) and I had an English teacher that read Huck Finn to us and used the N word because it was in the literature. I heard the teacher that just got in trouble here was reading something called "Hoops" or "Loops" or something.

Originally posted by Fishy
What kind of stupid thing is this? And why the hell are you calling it the N word?

Claiming people should be able to say it and then refusing to say it can be seen as hypocritical... After all it's not like there is anything bad about the word. Not to mention that some people might not know what you are talking about.

Anyways stupid school stupid mom... stupid everything.
Because I only use it when I'm joking around and this is a serious matter. THAT'S why I'm referring it as the "N" word on here.

Ricodrayz
Reminds me of this but this was worse http://youtube.com/watch?v=daCqGbV3uRY laughing laughing Sorry, it is funny embarrasment

Fishy
In serious matters, especially one's relating to the world you should be able to call the thing whatever the hell it is. Using bullshit political correct crap will only take away impact from the discussion and weaken it.. Sometimes it's just best to call it what it is.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Kelly_LS
I'm not sure, but then again it's a part of the literature. I do see what you mean though.

I don't know what grade this teacher teaches though, I was just referring to when I was a sophomore (now a senior) and I had an English teacher that read Huck Finn to us and used the N word because it was in the literature. I heard the teacher that just got in trouble here was reading something called "Hoops" or "Loops" or something.

I meant is it necessary to read a book out loud that could be offensive. On another note, is it even necessary to read a book out loud at all?

Okay...that confused me, sorry. Though still, if it is a part of the book. I don't see the problem.

Fishy
I meant is it necessary to read a book out loud that could be offensive. On another note, is it even necessary to read a book out loud at all?

Okay...that confused me, sorry. Though still, if it is a part of the book. I don't see the problem.

To the first thing, if you're reading a book out load then yes. To the second no, people should learn how to read themselves. Their not in kindergarten anymore...

dirkdirden
Was the book the adventures of huckleberry fin? That book is loaded with the ****** word.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Fishy
To the first thing, if you're reading a book out load then yes. To the second no, people should learn how to read themselves. Their not in kindergarten anymore...

Well, yeah, the second was kinda the main point. I agree, if you should for some reason choose to read out loud than all.

Originally posted by dirkdirden
Was the book the adventures of huckleberry fin? That book is loaded with the ****** word.

That is funny. Never heard it like that.

Kelly_LS

Yes in my opinion. Just because a book contains a few choice words (or more) doesn't mean that it's not a good book and not suitable to teach to students about literature.
Originally posted by dirkdirden
No, it was called "Hoops" I think. I wrote about it in previous posts.

dirkdirden

That is funny. Never heard it like that.

You can't say the ****** word. ****** just mean worthless slave and maybe one day white people, Mexican people, and maybe even the Asians could all be ****** too.

Quiero Mota
it didn't so much offend the kid (yes he's black), but he went home and told his mother and she made a big deal out of it

That's because of her age. She's probably middleaged and the N-word triggers a fire deep within her. And if she grew up in KY, I'm sure she's heard her share of the word.

I honestly believe the N-word is a generational word and in 50 years it won't be a big deal. (Or as much of a big deal, if at all.)

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
That's because of her age. She's probably middleaged and the N-word triggers a fire deep within her. And if she grew up in KY, I'm sure she's heard her share of the word.

I honestly believe the N-word is a generational word and in 50 years it won't be a big deal. (Or as much of a big deal, if at all.)
Yeah and like I said, when I get more details I'll post them because I don't know if this is just some freaking scam for attention, like a lot of idiots are trying to get these days or what. We'll just have to see.

xmarksthespot
It's just a word. I don't get why people refer to it as the "N" word even in a discussion. If you're not using a word in an offensive manner then people who get offended are just being idiotic and overreactive.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It's just a word. I don't get why people refer to it as the "N" word even in a discussion. If you're not using a word in an offensive manner then people who get offended are just being idiotic and overreactive.

No not really. Because of what you just said, I can tell that you really don't understand what the N-word means.

Ricodrayz
It's just a word. I don't get why people refer to it as the "N" word even in a discussion. If you're not using a word in an offensive manner then people who get offended are just being idiotic and overreactive. I know right! Nice isn't a bad word eek!

xmarksthespot
No not really. Because of what you just said, I can tell that you really don't understand what the N-word means. It can be used in an offensive manner. But if I for example make a thread about a teacher being banned for using the word ****** or Michael Richards using the word ******, I feel no need to sugarcoat it and call it the "N-word". Words alone have limited meaning. The context in which they are used are important. When people ignore context it leads to idiocy like a teacher being banned for reading a book out loud.

Marxman
Haha I remember junior year we read Huck Finn and my teacher was a white lady fresh out of college. So everytime ****** was in the text she'd have us replace it with "person" when reading aloud during class (we had 80 minute class periods so reading aloud wasn't a huge waste of time).

Anyways me and the only black kid in the class laughed at the fact that everyone would say "person" and we always said ****** when we had to read to make the rest of the class feel uncomfortable. I like making white people feel uncomfortable smile

And furthermore, the fact that the topic starter said N-word instead of writing it out is probably best because we all know some people on these forums would have been like "zomg wtf do those 6 stars mean?!"

Quiero Mota
It can be used in an offensive manner. But if I for example make a thread about a teacher being banned for using the word ****** or Michael Richards using the word ******, I feel no need to sugarcoat it and call it the "N-word". Words alone have limited meaning. The context in which they are used are important. When people ignore context it leads to idiocy like a teacher being banned for reading a book out loud.

If you're gonna throw the word around like that, then do it in a situation like a phone conversation, and not in a place like a bar with mixed company.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Marxman
Haha I remember junior year we read Huck Finn and my teacher was a white lady fresh out of college. So everytime ****** was in the text she'd have us replace it with "person" when reading aloud during class (we had 80 minute class periods so reading aloud wasn't a huge waste of time).

Anyways me and the only black kid in the class laughed at the fact that everyone would say "person" and we always said ****** when we had to read to make the rest of the class feel uncomfortable. I like making white people feel uncomfortable smile

And furthermore, the fact that the topic starter said N-word instead of writing it out is probably best because we all know some people on these forums would have been like "zomg wtf do those 6 stars mean?!"

Good times. We only had one black guy in our class and we always laughed when our cracker teach read it.....he acctually had the Gnuts to read it.

Atlantis001
Thats stupid, in fact we would have to use other "forbidden" words to give a correct measure of how stupid that was. And that word is not only used in a offensive way.

Rogue Jedi
A teacher at my school was banned for two days without pay because he said the "N" word while reading a book and it didn't so much offend the kid (yes he's black), but he went home and told his mother and she made a big deal out of it and it was all over the Kentucky news. I swear that's the STUPIDEST thing ever. I haven't got all of the details and I don't know if the kid just WANTED to get the teacher in trouble, or if he really WAS offended by the contents in the book but I heard that before they began reading he warned the class and said that he was sorry if any of the content was offensive. In my sophomore year we were reading Huck Finn and if anyone has read that book (probably everyone), you all know how many times the "N" word is referred in that book and my teacher said it each and every time, and warned the class before we began reading the book.

I kind of felt this belonged here because it's more of a discussion topic, so sorry if it has to be moved. It's just really irksome that they have to blow something out of proportion. If I find out any details I will update.
how was the N word used? was it straight out of the book, as in the storyline, or was the teacher using it to describe a character or something?

Bardock42

What if one of the white kids had read ****** as well? You'd be fine with it?

Rogue Jedi
nothing would have happened if the teacher had said honky or cracker.

Kelly_LS
Well I agree, but lots of others don't.
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
how was the N word used? was it straight out of the book, as in the storyline, or was the teacher using it to describe a character or something?
Straight out of the book from what I was told.

FeceMan
You know, there is educational value in reading something aloud and participating in a class discussion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by FeceMan
You know, there is educational value in reading something aloud and participating in a class discussion.

...hardly.

Rogue Jedi
if it was straight out of the book, then there should be no drama.

Marxman
What if one of the white kids had read ****** as well? You'd be fine with it?

Actually I couldn't care less if a white kid said it. For multiple reasons.

1) I'm not black. I'm Puerto Rican.
2) If it was being read out of a book there's no reason why they should be afraid to say it. Words are only hurtful in context. If a red neck called a black guy "******" out of spite there will probably be problems. However, black people use it referring to each other, similar to how internet users call each other noobs.

nothing would have happened if the teacher had said honky or cracker.

Well that's because white people don't make as big of a deal about it as black people make of ******. I remember a teacher becoming so pissed off at my 7th grade class that he called us "a bunch of ******* and spics." Needless to say he was fired the next day.

Rogue Jedi
saying it in anger like that is different than reading the text from a book.

wait, was it a novel or a textbook? couldnt have been a textbook.

Kelly_LS
if it was straight out of the book, then there should be no drama.
Yet there is.
Actually I couldn't care less if a white kid said it. For multiple reasons.

1) I'm not black. I'm Puerto Rican.
2) If it was being read out of a book there's no reason why they should be afraid to say it. Words are only hurtful in context. If a red neck called a black guy "******" out of spite there will probably be problems. However, black people use it referring to each other, similar to how internet users call each other noobs.

Well that's because white people don't make as big of a deal about it as black people make of ******. I remember a teacher becoming so pissed off at my 7th grade class that he called us "a bunch of ******* and spics." Needless to say he was fired the next day.
Not everyone here in Kentucky is a redneck. roll eyes (sarcastic)
saying it in anger like that is different than reading the text from a book.

wait, was it a novel or a textbook? couldnt have been a textbook.
As I said before, Hoops. Hoops is a novel.
http://www.randomhouse.com/teachers/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780440938842

Rogue Jedi
what would you have done if you were the teacher reading to your class and the n****r word came up?

Marxman
Not everyone here in Kentucky is a redneck. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I wasn't implying that. Simply coming up with an example.

what would you have done if you were the teacher reading to your class and the n****r word came up?

Do my job and read.

Kelly_LS
Me? Already been done, as I said before, once again.
I wasn't implying that. Simply coming up with an example.

Do my job and read.
Okay.

office jesus
No not really. Because of what you just said, I can tell that you really don't understand what the N-word means.

Niger?

Marxman
Originally posted by office jesus
Niger?

No that's a country in Africa.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.