What is Multiversal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starhawk
I see allot of people arguing about this on the threads and I think it needs a clarified definition.

So what is required for a character to be considered Multiversal?

Mindship
Originally posted by Starhawk
So what is required for a character to be considered Multiversal?

A multiversal character is one whose actions have vast, significant consequence in more than one universe, including being able to destroy multiple universes. This is what makes a multiversal character different from an interdimensional character. The interdimensional character can influence events in more than one universe, but its impact in each is nowhere near cosmic scale. smokin'

leonidas
mindship is always good for a solid, well-thought-out answer. wink

imo, i'd add that a multiversal being/thing is something that can travel to other universes (outside 616) and not lose . . . status (abraxas may be an example of this type). that is, the being/thing is viewed as a 'power' wherever he/she/it goes. its sphere of influence never wanes. it might also be used to describe a being whose purview or jurisdiction is the entire multiverse (ie -- LT, roma). in general, i think it also implies that the character/thing is unique among all the universes that make up the multiverse. (though it's possible to argue this latter point if, for instance, you believe that the IG is multiversal because the IG has appeared in alternate universes in the past making it clearly NOT unique).

least that's how I'VE always viewed the term. smile

inamilist
wow

those are kick ass answers.....

I hadnt thought about it till just this minute....

then as a whole, what are the TVA, a interdimensional force or multiversal force..... I mean, in general, do people know who they are? does that matter?

King Kandy
They have to be able to have drastic effects on more then one universe.

supervenom
Then whats Omniverse?

Mindship
Originally posted by leonidas
mindship is always good for a solid, well-thought-out answer. wink

...as long as it doesn't have to apply to the real world. rock

boriquaking55
Originally posted by supervenom
Then whats Omniverse?

Ominversal is pertaining to all universes in existence -- encompassing all multiverses in fiction and such

The closest we've come to seing Omniversal within a comic was probably the Amalgam brothers in JLA/Avengers -- They were apparentely all-powerful in both the Marvel & DC multiverses including all suboardinate universes within the two companies- however, in theory, they were not truly Omniversal either. Not even the supreme beings in each respective comic book company can be considered Omniversal

supervenom
Originally posted by boriquaking55
Ominversal is pertaining to all universes in existence -- encompassing all multiverses in fiction and such

The closest we've come to seing Omniversal within a comic was probably the Amalgam brothers in JLA/Avengers -- They were apparentely all-powerful in both the Marvel & DC multiverses including all suboardinate universes within the two companies- however, in theory, they were not truly Omniversal either. Not even the supreme beings in each respective comic book company can be considered Omniversal

Thanks for the explanation.

manjaro
also on a side note. whenever you hear the term multiverse being thrown around there is always "neighborhoods" i say this cuz when Majestic showed up in mainstream DC he said that he wasnt even in his "neighborhood" of the multiverse... meaning that presumblaby there were infinte versions of superman and the JLA and everybody we kno, love, and hate in DC, but they were in another sector of space time.. looking at it as a giant pie, divided up in a bunch of pieces.. ok so without trying to get too deep and profound look at it this way

omniverse: ocean
multiverse: each different species in the ocean
universe: each different subset of species...like the way we are humans, but of many different races, or the fact that there are well over 1000 different speceis of ants. branches if you will

WrathfulDwarf
In Comics...All that we consider Reality is not confine to a Universe. Reality is very broad. There are infinite number of Universes that only Cosmic and Divine Beings like The Spectre and The Living Tribunal know about. We know of them because these characters interact with others in their respective worlds.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.