Realism in games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pulse2
I'm not being specific here, very generalised smile

Do you think that developers could really increase the realism in games, there are car simulators that add crashing and damage, but damage is very unrealistic, you can drive at tops speeds hit a wall and get a small dent, is there much point adding this option if it does little or nothing to effect the game? The added realism would force a gamer to not cheat but be careful with thier cars as they drive so as not to completly wreck it, however the closest to this is not race simulators, but games such as burnout and Colin Macrae, which is a lttle pointless.

Fighters should have sweat and blood by now, if Smackdown games can do it, fighter should be able to do it too, and have more as they have much less then that of Smackdown which has to render all the ppl in the crowds, levels, 45 or more real people etc, and still has space to add various options plus a create a character mode, what is it in regular fighting games that takes up so much space that they cannot add things like create a character, which VF is now adding to thier new game 5, and sweat, blood and fatigue, taking several blows to the face should leave you bleeding somewhat, moving about alot should get you tired and sweaty, why not add it?

There are many things devs have available, but I don't think they take advantage of it sad What do you think, am I right or wrong?

dirkdirden
They could if they wanted to. But game are more fun when they are less real. For me anyways. Mario rules but nothing could be less real than that.

Smasandian
Well with racing games, I kinda of understand. If the game is racing simulator like rFactor, then complete damage would be an good addition, but can games handle all those physics to create such damage collision. I dont know.

Also, your competly forgetting that most racing games involve licensed cars, because everybody rather drive an Aston Martin Vanquish over some generic Burnout car, but to my knowledge, most games that involve licensed cars dont allow complete damage.

But for fighters, I dont know, it kinda make it not fun, maybe.

Pulse2
Originally posted by Smasandian
Well with racing games, I kinda of understand. If the game is racing simulator like rFactor, then complete damage would be an good addition, but can games handle all those physics to create such damage collision. I dont know.

Also, your competly forgetting that most racing games involve licensed cars, because everybody rather drive an Aston Martin Vanquish over some generic Burnout car, but to my knowledge, most games that involve licensed cars dont allow complete damage.

But for fighters, I dont know, it kinda make it not fun, maybe. I can understand the licsensing point, I don't really see how sweat and blood (maybe not so much blood) and fatigue can make the game less fun, the fatugue doesn'r exactly have to effect the way the character fights, but they could at least look tired, the addition of swaet, blood and fatigue in Smackdown do not make the games any less fun smile Actually, it mainatians its fun factor, but adds that bit more to make it more realsitic and enjoyable.

I mean existing games don't have to have this, but if Namco really wanted to, they could produce another fighter, sweat, blood, the ability to fight in a bar and knock ppl over counters and tables or elsewhere etc, smash lights out, set the sprinkler off, dunno, there are lots of ideas, developers could be creative, and seeing as these are completly different games to existing ones, they do not spoil the other existing franchise smile

General Kaliero
I think realism depends on the type of game. For something like Resident Evil, I say yes, make it as real as possible. Realistic gore is part of the fun of such horror games. However, a realistic Mario just wouldn't be as entertaining, and indeed could become somewhat frightening in itself.

As for fighting games... I'm on the fence. I do know though that I do NOT want to see my Seong Mina covered in blood, sweat, and bruises after a victory.

Smasandian
The thing is, what are fighters trying to accomplish?

Generally, its stylized martial arts, or insane stunts. Wouldnt it be out of place if realism is part of what the characters look like? Doing something in any fighting game that doesnt follow the law of physics, would like different if realism took part in makeup of the character. For example, doing a flying upside down kick next to a bloody arm. It goes against the whole stylized thing.

Also, what about woman characters? I know its a game, but couldnt it be unethical to repeatly punch a woman character in the face to see her bleed?

I dont know, unless the game is all about the true realism of martial arts, I think realism would go against what the game was trying to accomplish. I can see it working in UFC game, but I think thats already happen.

EDIT: Mr General kinda of beat me too it.

Mišt
Realism in car simulators is shit anyway, if you're doing a 50 lap circuit and you brush the fence on the first lap and end up knocking one of your tyres out, you have lost already and have to restart. Not fun at all.

Fighting games, depends. Wrestling games and stuff, it works, thats the spirit of the game. A game like Tekken could have a bit more realism, just something like..hitting someone in a certain area with a certain move could cripple them slightly, dislocate their shoulder or something and have them move slower and limit some of their moves afterwards, then it'd be more tactical than a button mash.

Smasandian
True, blowing out a tire in the first lap would suck, but what would be worst....the first lap, or blowing out the tire on the 49th lap. That would suck.

Some people like that type of realism. PC Gamer still has a column about simulation's, usually racing. People want to ride in an F1 car just like the series, just as same as people who want to play realistic football game.

Pulse2
Yeah, but that would really make use of the pit stop smile How often do you actually use the pitstop in racing sims, I know in all my life of gaming, I have never (or only maybe a few times to see what it was like) used a pit stop. Why have it there if it has no purpose?

I can understand females, and that can be avoided the way Smackdown does, although that is kinda sexist sad

Obviously platformers don't have to be real, such as Mario and Sonic, they are meant to be unreal, but in our day and age, games like MGS should be very real, shooting a guard in the leg should leave them limping, shooting them in the arm should leave them with one arm, etc etc.

And yes Mist, fatigue and sweat etc as well as bodily damage in particular areas could be a method of forcing games to think with thier mind rather then bash the buttons and win.

Smasandian
Yeah, they're called racing sims. They all have pitstops usually.

True, fatigue and sweat and bodily damage would be a great assest but only if the game warrents it. UFC games would work well, while games like Dead Or Alive wont. It destroys the whole mystic about that type of fighting game.

Pulse2
I don't think its such a bad thing smile It is rather annoying when you put time and effort into a fighting game just for a newbie to come, bash the buttons and win, that would never happen in Halo or Smackdown or a racing game, so why let it happen in a fighter?

I fatigue would mean that you can keep kicking and punching forever and eventually you get worn out with all the kicking you do, sort of like an energy bar. This will teach fighter lovers to use more tactics such as offense when needed or defence rather then bash to win.

IceJaw
What fighter games are you referring to?

Pulse2
None in particular, most fighting games are under the same box at the moment sad Anime looking characters with just fighting styles and characters, but lack of bodily damage, sweat and blood, only Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat diffrenciate themselves. But even the blood in Mortal Kombat looked slightly rubbish sad

Smasandian
Originally posted by Pulse2
I don't think its such a bad thing smile It is rather annoying when you put time and effort into a fighting game just for a newbie to come, bash the buttons and win, that would never happen in Halo or Smackdown or a racing game, so why let it happen in a fighter?

I fatigue would mean that you can keep kicking and punching forever and eventually you get worn out with all the kicking you do, sort of like an energy bar. This will teach fighter lovers to use more tactics such as offense when needed or defence rather then bash to win.

But the thing is, thats not what developers want. You cant tell the developers that fighting games should have realism in them. If they want to make a game that you can buttonmash at, let them.

The whole point is that you play the game, button mash to figure out combos and such, and then learn how to play until you gotten all figured out.

It's like in racing game where the first start crashing in the wall, or an FPS dying alot when you first start playing.

Pulse2
But the thing is, thats not what developers want. You cant tell the developers that fighting games should have realism in them. If they want to make a game that you can buttonmash at, let them.

The whole point is that you play the game, button mash to figure out combos and such, and then learn how to play until you gotten all figured out.

It's like in racing game where the first start crashing in the wall, or an FPS dying alot when you first start playing. Yeah, but these qualities make you want to continue playing the game, with fighters now, its grows repetitive fast with constant winning and only loosing on hard modes as they are too easy when you button mash, you could never button mash and get through an entire level of Halo, Halo requires concentration and skill to beat the level even on the easiest setting. I could be downstairs with a wireless controller playing Tekken and not looking at the screen and as long as I button mash, I'll win. Doesn't really use the brain much does it.

Games are supposed to get you thinking, use you brain, this is why we enjoy games like Halo, Command and Conquerer, Age of the empires, and racing games. Fighters are probably the easist to master of them all ecluding figthers such as Smackdown or Boxing games for examples.

I'm not telling the developers what to do, its just something they may want to consider before another fighter uses an idea such as that and ends up taking the existing ones places. smile

Smasandian
Most fighters take enourmous amount of skill to be great at. Remembering button combinations, split timing for jumps and really knowing your opponent is crucial for the game

Just like any other genre, they're always a few games that suck...but most fighters, stickly buttonmashing will only get you so far.

I would think boxing games and especially Smackdown games are easier to master than fighters. Facing against a competitor who is better than you will always result in a loss.

Pulse2
I wouldn't say they are easier to master, I've faced real opponents in Smackdown and felt frustrated when I dealt little or no damage on them because they are too fast and too smart, but for Tekken, even the greatest master of Tekken could still by chance get beaten by me if I button bash.

Smasandian
Yeah sure, I've button mashed before, and my friends always beat me in Tekkan.

General Kaliero
Such button mashing can exist in any fighting game. I'm rather skilled in the Soul Calibur games, but despite all my practice and memorization of combos I usually win only about half the time against my father, who just hits buttons until something happens.

Button mashing CAN take down skilled players, and not just rarely, but quite often.

Smasandian
Which is similiar to a guy getting a lucky shot in CS, or a guy who camps, or players who have the unnatural ability to be lucky and have the enemy when he turned away.

I just know, I button mash everygame, and I usually always lose.

Blanka
Games shouldnt be toooo real!!

Pulse2
Which is similiar to a guy getting a lucky shot in CS, or a guy who camps, or players who have the unnatural ability to be lucky and have the enemy when he turned away.

I just know, I button mash everygame, and I usually always lose. I'm just saying that fighting games are particularly easier, a non gamer can pick up a controller and not know which character they are playing with far less what they are even playing and yet still win.

In a game such as Smackdown, you could never win by repeating the same moves, you still have to press certain buttons together to grapple, or pin, to climb up the turnbuckle, run or pull off certain things, and even in Socom or CS an experienced gamer would be able to headshot thier newbie opponent with ease as they would know about stealth and offense, in a racer, an experienced gamer knows the tracks and the best cars to choose giving them an edge. Its only in fighters can a newbie have no idea of what they are doing and beat an experienced gamer by simply smashing the buttons on the joystiq or keyboard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.