Knights of the Old Republic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Julie
I just read the X-box magazine and it says that a new RPG game called Knights of the Old Republic will come out in the fourth quarter this year.

It looks like a lot of fun!

LanceWindu
I heard about this. It is based 400 years before TPM.

Julie
I think the graphics will be great anyway....but will the game itself feel like Star Wars?

LanceWindu
You definately can't judge it by the movies because it is set waaay before them.

Ushgarak
I;ve talked about KOTOR loads of times. It has been in development on the PC for ages. And it is going to be DAMN good, by the looks of things.

LanceWindu
Is it also going to be available for online play?

Julie
Not sure, but I would guess not b/c they have galaxies coming out for PC.

LanceWindu
Why not do both? It would sure get moe people online a the same time.

Julie
True....but if you draw too many people on at the same time you could upset the balance of the world...... wink

LanceWindu
It would probably slow down connection time for us 56k users.

Julie
True....I was talking about the real world.....what if the water purifiers all decide to go on strike and not work 'cause they wanna play!!!!!!!.....Star Wars could cause chaos wink

LanceWindu
Well it causes chaos whenever the movies come out.

Julie
Chaos can be good evil face wink I mean hey it is Star Wars!

LanceWindu
Go Star Wars!

Julie
Absolutely!.....what would us poor directionless people do w/o Star Wars to take our mind off the cares of the world?

LanceWindu
Who knows.

Ushgarak
KOTOR is a story-bassed game and not a persistent world and so might not be suited for on-line play.

That said, I expect it to have the same range of options as the Baldur's Gate games, which were made by the same people. These games were two of the finest ever to come on the PC, each lasted many months of playing time with almost totally non-linear scenarious, branching plotlines and dialogue choices and even in-party romances based on the sex and profession of your character and those with him. The multi-player options (co-operative play only) were astounding.

When they said that Bioware were doing a Star Wars RPG as well, it was a VERY happy day.

I think I have a thread about this buried deep inside this section somewhere; in wich I posted a link with some details about the game. I'll see if I can find some details again

Julie
Yeaaa....***stubborn childish voice***...I wanna play now wink

Ushgarak
I note that, just to irritate me, its PC release is being delayed until after the X-Box. PURELY because they don't want it to calsh with Galaxies. Bastards. I'd rather they ditched Galaxies, myself...

LanceWindu
Those jerks! How could they delay any SW game???

Julie
I'm sensing a bit of tension......I suppose it's all good for those of us who own x-box.

So when is the game supposed to come out for PC????

LanceWindu
That's what I'm waiting for. I don't own an X-Box. So I'll get it for my comp.

Julie
oh do you at least have PS2 or some other game sys?

LanceWindu
I own a PS2, PS1, N64, GB, Atari, SNES, NES, and Sega Genesis.

Julie
cool.....do you have a gameboy?

LanceWindu
Yeah that's the GB.

I only have 2 games for it even though I've owned it forever.

Julie
Which games?....I have the turtles....super mario....tetris....spiderman...and a bunch of others

LanceWindu
Tetris and Crash Test Dummies.

Julie
"Crash test dummies"??????
sounds painful smile

Ushgarak
The original release date for both platforms was some time in Autumn, but with Galaxies coming out at the same time the PC reelase is back to Spring! ARRRRGGGGHHH!

Julie
That's sad sad .....do I sense a little tension, Ush???

Ushgarak
No!

(Breaks something)

Julie
Whoa...anger management class wink big grin

LanceWindu
laughing out loud laughing out loud

Ush is crazy.

Julie
Can't argue with a statement like that smile

LanceWindu
But you also have to admit that he isn't as bad as yerssot.

Julie
They both are a bit strange sometimes...but yes I guess I do have to agree with you there.

LanceWindu
At least I'm not crazy.........always.

Ushgarak
Am I too crazy or am I too serious? It's quite annoying to be accused of both, unless you think I am seriously crazy.

LanceWindu
laughing out loud

Julie
What about intense?...do you think that describes Ush??????

LanceWindu
I don't really know about that. He's intriguing maybe.

Julie
Interesting.....both your comment and Ush wink

LanceWindu
Which comment???

Julie
about Ush being intriguing...I found that interesting...

LanceWindu
But why is that interesting?

Julie
some things are just well "interesting"

*shrug*
Don't read too much into it wink .....though this is an "interesting" conversation...not so I lie..... evil face wait I never lie.....I take it back...AHHHHHH just change the subject quickly. smile

LanceWindu
Okay, how is your life as a Star Wars book worm?

Julie
hmm...well so far, Lance, its been going very well lately because of Easter break....I just finished the Thrawn Trilogy.

wait hold that thought...

LanceWindu
And this is where you created the other thread.

Julie
You catch on quick wink

LanceWindu
I know.

Julie
What....no special cocky voice to accompany that "I know"...wow I think I'm shocked smile

LanceWindu
OK, here we go:

*In cocky voice*

"I know"

Julie
that's what I thought you said wink smile

LanceWindu
Good.

I don't like to have to repeat myself more than twice.

j/k

Julie
What?...J/K I was going to make you repeat youself evil face

LanceWindu
Good.

I don't like to repeat myself more than twice.

j/k

Did I just repeat myself again???

Julie
I ya did laddie.....uh where did that come from....gues the movie wink

LanceWindu
Hmm. I do not know.

Julie
Lady and the Tramp

LanceWindu
I never would have guessed that.

Julie
Why?...you don't watch that many Disney movies....I end up watching them again every time I babysit...it's one less hour I have to actually do something with the children wink

LanceWindu
I watch them. I have to whenever my neice's are around. I just haven't seen that one in forever.

Julie
I gather that you haven't seen your nieces in awhile either wink .... Disney movies are ok, but Star Wars rules big grin

LanceWindu
I watch my neices almost everyday.

Disney=OK

StarWars=Great!

Julie
Wow.....what'll happen when you get a job????

LanceWindu
Daycare

Julie
oh.....that's sad sad ...daycare doesn't sound too fun to me

LanceWindu
They've been in it before. They say they like 'school'.

Julie
smile How old are they?

LanceWindu
Taylor is 3 1/2
Alicia is 2 1/2

Julie
Wow....I bet they run you ragged big grin

LanceWindu
Yup

Julie
No wonder you are tired at night and have no energy to read big grin

LanceWindu
That's the main reason.

Julie
awww.....poor baby evil face wink

Well, that's cool.....it'll make you a good father when you grow old wink

LanceWindu
If I can ever get a woman.

Julie
laughing out loud .....someday.....you'll meet a girl who'll be just right for you.....who doesn't like a man who's nice enought to take care of his nieces wink

LanceWindu
Pretty much every girl I know

Julie
sad ....poor Lance......well keep looking I guess wink

LanceWindu
Don't worry I will

Julie
good...persistance is another good quality wink

LanceWindu
I know I'm just gonna annoy every girl I meet though

Julie
You see now doubting yourself....that can't help you and might even harm your confidence in yourself.....

LanceWindu
What confidence in myself?

Julie
see there you go again.....try to have confidence in yourself...it might help you wink

LanceWindu
I believe this thread has run it's course. Unless we can get it back on topic.

This is why I wish I was a mod for the lit section!!!

Julie
hmmm if you were a dark knight in the old republic you could force choke someone into listening to you as you shout to the world that you want to be mod of the lit section wink

LanceWindu
I tried to get Raz to let me be a mod, but he keeps saying it's only an invitation only type thingy. So I guess I need to quit pestering him.

Julie
I see...so what's a mod supposed to do?????

LanceWindu
MAke sure people stay somewhat on topic. Close threads that have run their course.
edit posts that users messed up but can't change it.(Only if they let you)

Julie
ha...well the poor mods have got their jobs cut out for them don't they? big grin .....they seem to be slacking too smile

LanceWindu
Yeah.

It's a miracle if we get any more than 5 people to visit the EU section a day anyways.

Julie
You...me...Yerssot...Ush...and Vol?.....
Actually, I meant the mod was slacking because we're always off topic smile

LanceWindu
I don't think finti even cares about this place.

Julie
cool let's keep it that way wink

LanceWindu
Sure thing.

Julie
Though it might be good if finti did a sweeping job once in awhile big grin

LanceWindu
He came in today and posted once. But that was it.

Ushgarak
I'd mod around here for him if I could be arsed.

Julie
confused (hey Lance, what's he talking about?)

LanceWindu
I see finti's name on the top of the page.

Julie
*nods and smiles*

LanceWindu
Then how is Ush the mod here?

Julie
maybe he asked real nice like wink

LanceWindu
But it says finti is the mod and those things are always up to date.

Julie
there are exceptions to every rule

LanceWindu
Well earlier Ush said that this isn't his area, meaning he was joking the other day.

Julie
oh....ok....

...onto the next topic them evil face ....whoever the mod is can't stop us now wink

LanceWindu
Ush try's to stop us.

Julie
where when how why?

LanceWindu
You forgot WHAT?.

Julie
oops

Captain REX
I saw the word crazy on the first page...have you said anything about me yet? big grin

So, any new news on KOTOR?

LanceWindu
Not that I know of.

I'll go check their main page.

Julie
*waits for Lance's return*

LanceWindu
*Lance walks in*

Hi guys!

Nothing new over at KOTOR.

Julie
sad oh well....I think this game comes out in December of this year, but I'm not quite sure, can someone confirm or deny this?

LanceWindu
I've heard November to December. So I think it's safe to say the end of this year.

Julie
Yes I guess that would prove to be true.....Aotc is only days away, Rebel Stand is soon to follow.....traitor is a few months away and then comes destiny's way and then probably Knights

LanceWindu
Well now I have learned that KOTOR is set to come out Fall 2002. You will be able to order it online from stores.lucasarts.com on September 1st

Julie
cool.....for a moment their I forgot what KOTOR was wink

LanceWindu
How could you forget what the intitials mean? I mean just look at this thread's name!

Mujaffa

Julie
I recently read an article about KotOR in Star Wars Gamer, ...now I really wish the game would come out NOW smile wink

LanceWindu
More on KOTOR from IGN. This is an article from when they went to E3:

Sounds great so far!!!

Ushgarak
Latent Force powers? Oh, it's just like Kyle Katarn! Why can't you ever just play an every day Jedi!!!?

Never mind. If it has multi-play and it works like Baldur's Gate, then one person plays the 'central' character and the other players play his friends, and they can be anything they like.

Mujaffa
just say a trailer from the game........... amasing
this game is better than Outcast

finti
So it is a one person "shoot" them up jedi way kind of game. I will be a sith for sure cool

LanceWindu
Yeah that would be fun.

I like the part where it says if you stay on the path of the dark long enough maybe you'll become the next Sith lord!!!

Ushgarak
Huh??/ It's not a 'shoot' them up at all! It's an RPG!

LanceWindu
It has shoot-em-up in it, but at it's heart it is an expansive RPG.

Julie
shoot 'em ups are cool, I'm not really sure I've played that many RPGs...but Knights is definately on my to buy list.......the only questions are will I be able to get decent grades in college....or will my life be oriented aroung KOTOR

Ushgarak
Anyone interested in KOTOR and who had cash to spare may want to look at the new game Neverwinter Nights.

As I have mentioned before, KOTOR is being done by the same people who did the award winning Baldur's Gate RPG computer game, its sequel, and full expansion packs for both. These games were based on the Dungeons and Dragons system, in the same way KOTOR is based on the Star Wars roleplaying system.

Neverwinter Nights is their brand new D&D computer role-playing game.

As both of those Role-playing systems are now owned by Wizards of the Coast they use virtually the same rules, and Neverwinter Nights reflects this. So basically KOTOR will be very similar to NN indeed, only with lightsabres instead of swords and the Force instead of magic, and classes like Jedi Guardian instead of Fighter.

Neverwinter Nights, aside from offering some 60 hours or more of gameplay in a huge, non-linear immersive story that can be played on your own or with friends, just as the excellent Baldur's Gate games did before it, also now has a full 3-d engine (the same one KOTOR will have) and a full editor which allows you to create your own stories and act as Gamesmaster as other people play through them.

If KOTOR has the same thing I will be a very happy man.

Captain REX
What I want is a few games on GC for once. And NOW!!! LucasArts is giving GameCube players Jedi Outcast in winter, and then Gladius, Clone Wards, and Red Rock later. I WANT THEM NOW AND I WANT KOTOR TO BE AMONG THEM! mad

I don't have a 3d accelerator card, so that's why I'm pissed. mad mad

Ushgarak
Ok, we get that... doesn't quite change my point about people checking out Neverwinter Nights, though!

Captain REX
Cool! Neverwinter Nights sounds interesting. I'll check it out if I ever get it on GameCube.

Julie
Neverwinter Nights sounds interesting, but I think I'll stick to KotOR just because that should take me long enough.....
Morrowwind is another RPG game ....it's kinda boring if your just watching though

Captain REX
There is also Freedom Force, but I've only seen my friend mess around on that by destroying buildings and so on. You are super-heroes. "The Ant" sounds disturbingly like Spiderman. It is an RPG I think. You have three or more super heroes and you order them around (attacks, movements, etc.). You can destroy everything, from rocks to lamp posts, from cars to buildings.

I told my friend to stop destroying buildings, it looked too much like September 11th was being reanacted on his computer.

Ushgarak
It is more a combat game than an RPG.

My point is still that KOTOR really will be roughly the same as Neverwinter Nights, though.

Captain REX
Yes, I've seen ads for the game in the GamePro magazine. Along with KOTOR, Outcast, and Jedi Starfighter. smile

Ushgarak
Hmm. Played NN for a bit now, and it is great, but it is more linear than Baldur's Gate. You aren't forced to do anything but it certainly does not have BG's feel of being able to travel anywhere you like in the world (and if you went somewhere too dangerous for you, tough!).

If we assume that KOTOR will be the same, then I guess Galaxies will beat it in that sense.

Julie
then let's not assume that smile

Ushgarak
I think sense tells us whe should...

Julie
eek! what sense?

Ushgarak
It HAS been known.

Julie
hmmmph wink

Bespin Bart
I didn't know Barbie_girl liked to travel. laughing out loud stick out tongue

Ushgarak
How dare she have the same initials as that game!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>