Netherlands Shuts Off Analog TV

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tonnochi
Taken from IMDb news.
(http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/2006-12-12/#tv3)

"The Netherlands on Monday became the first country to switch all of its television stations to digital. A spokesman for Royal KPN NV said that all analog transmitters were turned off between midnight and 2:00 a.m. The U.S. plans to end analog transmission in 2009."

Fishy
With only 70.000 people still using it, and it costing 11 million euro's a year it's not really that strange a decision, cheaper to just give everybody digital...

Marxman
My parents still don't have digital cable in their house. laughing

Atlantis001

Mr. Sandman
Television is going to give out sooner or later, to give way to watching TV on the internet.

Just have to work on image quality and transfer rates.

grey fox
...and thus begins the age of Skynet.

Robtard

~Forever*Alone~
whats analog?

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
whats analog?

I don't know if this is a joke or not, but its ****ing funny.

Deano
holland will rot.

Robtard
Originally posted by ~Forever*Alone~
whats analog?

"An analog or analogue signal is any variable signal continuous in both time and amplitude. It differs from a digital signal in that small fluctuations in the signal are meaningful. Analog is usually thought of in an electrical context, however mechanical, pneumatic, hydraulic, and other systems may also convey analog signals.

An analog signal uses some property of the medium to convey the signal's information. For example, an aneroid barometer uses rotary position as the signal to convey pressure information. Electrically, the property most commonly used is voltage followed closely by frequency, current, and charge.

Any information may be conveyed by an analog signal, often such a signal is a measured response to changes in physical phenomena, such as sound, light, temperature, position, or pressure, and is achieved using a transducer.

For example, in an analog sound recording, the variation in pressure of a sound striking a microphone creates a corresponding variation in the voltage amplitude of a current passing through it. An increase in the volume of the sound causes the fluctuation of the current's voltage amplitude to increase while keeping the same rhythm."

In simple terms, it's an older and outdated way of transmitting/receiving information (watching Televsion). Digital is the new black.

The Core
That's incredible, in my opinion. The U.S. is another 2 years behind, granted the population difference is pretty steep. I can't bare to watch analog television, personally.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by grey fox
...and thus begins the age of Skynet.

very good

Fishy
Originally posted by The Core
That's incredible, in my opinion. The U.S. is another 2 years behind, granted the population difference is pretty steep. I can't bare to watch analog television, personally.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/WF1.WORLD.JPG

Do you see that really small red dot above France on that map? That's half Holland Half Belgium and a tiny little bit of Luxembourg but you can't see Luxembourg from Space, then compare that to the US....

I'd say we had a much easier time here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.