The FCC, The Good? The Bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starhawk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Communications_Commission

A good thing or a bad thing? discuss.

PVS
a wikipedia link and thats it? erm

ThePittman
Just like any other controlling or regulatory body they do stupid thing and good things; you got something in particular to talk about?

botankus
I'd like to report on section 1.3 of that article, subsection 8: Media Relations. My analysis confirms that media relations suck.

Starhawk
Well there's been allot of talk lately about them, have they gone to far? With channels like HBO where you can say and do pretty much anything you want, do we still need them at all?

What's good about it? What's bad about it? How would you change the policies to make it better? Where do you consider the line on apporpriate programming?

Is that enough questions?

ThePittman

Starhawk
Originally posted by Starhawk
Well there's been allot of talk lately about them, have they gone to far? With channels like HBO where you can say and do pretty much anything you want, do we still need them at all?

What's good about it? What's bad about it? How would you change the policies to make it better? Where do you consider the line on apporpriate programming?

Is that enough questions?

Lot's of disscusion topics there, read slower this time.

botankus
When TeleTubbies resorts to La-La getting boinked by Tinky-Winky, then I'd say it's safe to assume that we don't need the FCC anymore.

WrathfulDwarf
If they regulate and not just restrict stuff...it's good.

Fishy
From what I know about it, which is almost nothing they should limit commercial time, they are damned annoying in the US and they should stop censorship on TV channels, so they suck if that's not their job then I have no idea if they suck or not and to be honest I couldn't care less.

PVS
who else would have had the guts and fortitude to stand up to howard stern and fine him for saying 'toilet' on the air. we need to protect the children!!!

Evil Dead
the FCC is ridiculous and unnecissary.

broadcast channels (radio or tv) should not be restricted in content at all. The signal is free over the airwaves....that, however, does not mean the government should step in and tell little Johnny's parents what content is suitable for their child. If a parent doesn't like the content of a show, they shouldn't let the child watch it. that simple. The FCC is really unnecissary in this area and just a waste of tax dollars. The advertisers already put more restrictions on any given show than the FCC does. As advertisers, they want their products to be seen by as many people as possible.......so they insist on certain guidlines as to not offend potential customers who will cease watching a show (therefore advertisements during) due to lude or vulgar content.

Cable and Satelite television/radio.........none of the FCC business at all by their own doctrine. They are pay services. A person must go out of their way to pay for, order and recieve the programming. If they are not happy with the content, they just stop paying and recieving it.

BackFire
For proof of the FCC's shittiness, look no further than their intentions to start "regulating" (AKA ****ing up) content on premium cable, and satellite radio and TV channels.

Marxman
First of all, I want to say that censorship in any form is stupid. I know there are some people that won't agree with that but that's just my opinion.

Second of all, the FCC is a huge waste of money. We spend money on this so they can censor our media. It isn't the governments responsibility to decide what is and isn't appropriate for us to watch.

With advancements in technology for parental control, like the V-chip which is in a lot of new television sets, parents can easily regulate what their children watch without the government's help.

Even though, like I said earlier, regulating what your children see is stupid because 1) they'll eventually see it despite their parents' efforts and 2) the only thing censorship can do is limit knowledge and stunt emotional growth.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.