PoD Force Shields

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sexyback
I just had a few queries about this technique that was introduced in PoD.

1. Was knowledge of this technique actually available to anybody outside of the BoD, because I kinda just assumed so, but there's not actually really any proof, and to my knowledge, the technique has never been mentioned outside of PoD. Perhaps the knowledge was exclusive to just the BoD. Just a thought.

2. I always assumed that the force shield wouldn't block a tangible attack such as lightning or blasterfire, because it never actually happens, and just doesn't feel right or logical, but I was reading through PoD, and I came across this:

'The vehicle was bearing down on him in a direct line. Bane let his hand drop to his lightsaber, ready to unclip it at a moment's notice. The Force welled up within him, prepared to throw up a protective shield if the flier's front-mounted blasters should open fire.'

So it's clear that Bane was fully prepared to defend against blasterfire with a force shield, so isn't it safe to assume that the force shield could defend against tangible attacks?

Discuss!

Advent
1. I highly doubt it's circumscribed to just the Brotherhood of Darkness or even that era in general. I haven't actually read Path of Destruction, so I can't tell you that it's the same defense, but we see Tott Donetta, a relative small fry on the grand scale of things, block numerous shots of blaster fire coming from two star fighters:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/928/tottblock8jsuu0.th.jpg

Even if it's not the same defensive move, the Tales of the Jedi Companion lists Force Shield as a feat Jedi can perform.

2. No, in this case we cannot assume that because it blocks X, it can block Y. The actual nature of physical manifestations of the force and blaster fire are not the same. They have completely different properties, so it's not correct to make that presumption.

Sexyback
Oh really now?

You do realise all matter in the SW Galaxy is, by definition, a manifestation of the force. But don't worry, I know what you're getting at.

Do explain why. I mean, how does the fact that one is a produced from a force attack affect its properties. I'm pretty sure force lightning and natural lightning would have the same physical properties, even though one is a force power. I really don't see what you're getting at here, all matter inside the SW Galaxy is made up of the force.

Now the thing is, they have many similarities as well, being that they're both tangible attacks etc.. So please, do explain how the differences between them would make that huge a difference.

Sexyback
Anyone else who's read PoD have views on this?

jollyjim311
I've read it, and, a force shield blocks or lessens the force attacks of others (of course, sometimes to an inconsequential degree). These attacks are like push, choke, crush, and other TK attacks. Lightning has been shown being blocked by hands, and, it is probably deflected too by this technique. We have seen physical attacks, such as blaster bolts, blocked by the force from people like Corran Horn, and Vader. Vaders blocking Hans bolt in ESB could come from his armored gauntlet, the force, or both (From the Novelisation: "The Dark Lord had lifted a gauntlet-protected hand and effortlessly deflected them..." ). However, we have seen him catch and throw back bolts ( http://www.swtimeline.ru/?comics=77&page=002 -> http://www.swtimeline.ru/?comics=77&page=003 ), which, I imagine has everything to do with the force. We have also seen Obi Wan, in the Clone Wars cartoon, block bullets with the force.

Basically, most things can be blocked with the force, assuming the defender is powerful enough to block it. Basically, don't over think it. It is a defence provided by the force.

Kadesh
Originally posted by jollyjim311
I've read it, and, a force shield blocks or lessens the force attacks of others (of course, sometimes to an inconsequential degree). These attacks are like push, choke, crush, and other TK attacks. Lightning has been shown being blocked by hands, and, it is probably deflected too by this technique. We have seen physical attacks, such as blaster bolts, blocked by the force from people like Corran Horn, and Vader. Vaders blocking Hans bolt in ESB could come from his armored gauntlet, the force, or both (From the Novelisation: "The Dark Lord had lifted a gauntlet-protected hand and effortlessly deflected them..." ). However, we have seen him catch and throw back bolts ( http://www.swtimeline.ru/?comics=77&page=002 -> http://www.swtimeline.ru/?comics=77&page=003 ), which, I imagine has everything to do with the force. We have also seen Obi Wan, in the Clone Wars cartoon, block bullets with the force.

Basically, most things can be blocked with the force, assuming the defender is powerful enough to block it. Basically, don't over think it. It is a defence provided by the force. Man thats impressive, deflecting the entire platoons bullets with the force, can do the same to lightning

Captain REX
Hehe, POD...

Marxman
Yea like jollyjim said, its the Force, best not to think too far into it. That's like trying to figure out if the chicken or the egg was first stick out tongue . This technique was mainly used during lightsaber duels so the opponents couldn't take your lightsaber away or simply kill you by crushing you with the Force, like Bane did to that one Sith apprentice during their practice duel.

But I guess its power was dependent on the user's knowledge of the Force, just like every other Force power. Yoda was able to completely negate Dooku's lightning while Bane went through the Force shields of people he fought in PoD by pure strength.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.