There's no revolution in Belgium. Really

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Da preacher
By RAF CASERT, Associated Press Writer
Thu Dec 14, 6:55 PM ET

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Suddenly and shockingly, Belgium came to an end. State television broke into regular programming late Wednesday with an urgent bulletin: The Dutch-speaking half of the country had declared independence and the king and queen had fled. Grainy pictures from the military airport showed dark silhouettes of a royal entourage boarding a plane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Only after a half hour did the station flash the message: "This is fiction."

It was too late. Many Belgians had already fallen for the hoax.

Frantic viewers flooded the call center of the RTBF broadcaster that aired the stunt. Embassies called Belgian authorities to find out what was going on, while foreign journalists scrambled to get confirmation.

"Ambassadors who were worried asked what they had to tell their capitals," said Senate Chair Anne-Marie Lizin. "This fiction was seen as a reality and it created a catastrophic image of the country."

RTBF defended the program, saying it showed the importance of debate on the future of Belgium. But the network won few friends.

Even the Jean-Claude Juncker, the prime minister from neighboring Luxembourg, was angry and let it be know at the opening of the European Union summit. "This is not the kind of issue you play around with," he said.

The RTBF's phony newscast reported that the "Flemish parliament has unilaterally declared the independence of Flanders" and that King Albert and Queen Paola had left on the first air force plane available.

The broadcast showed jubilant demonstrators waving the yellow-and-black flag with the Flemish Lion outside the legislature. A small crowd of monarchists rallied outside the royal palace waving the Belgian flag.

Reporting that the royal family fled did not go down well at the palace, which said in a statement the hoax was in "bad taste."

"It is totally unacceptable," said Vice Premier Didier Reynders.

The linguistic demons pitting Dutch-speaking Flanders in the north against French-speaking Wallonia in the south have been mostly quiet for the past two decades, ever since far-reaching autonomy was granted in the 1980s.

Yet the economic disparity between wealthy Flanders and struggling Wallonia has recently intensified the political debate. The North is demanding more autonomy while the South clings to a unity that better spreads the economic spoils. The royal family is often portrayed as the glue that holds the nation together.

Independence is not an aim of any of the major parties in power, whatever their linguistic preference. It explains why the program was so widely condemned on Thursday.

"It is abhorrent. It defies belief. It is a caricature of Flanders," said Yves Leterme, the Minister-President of the Flemish region.

His counterpart from Wallonia, Elio di Rupo, was just as negative. "Never in my long political life have I seen such worry. Anguish came from around the world," he said.

About the only people who enjoyed the program were the separatist far-right Flemish Interest party. It wants to get rid of the king and thought it could see a flash of its future in an independent Flanders.

"I want to congratulate the RTBF for this daring show," said Flemish Interest leader Filip Dewinter

Rogue Jedi
i'm not in belgium. i could care less.

Da preacher
Read the story.

It's quite funny.

Rogue Jedi
no thanx.

Fishy
No it actually is a pretty funny story, got to love shit like that. Especially because international media agency's and even diplomats picked up on it, absolutely ****ing brilliant smile

Capt_Fantastic
That's pretty irresponsible, isn't it? It reminds me of Orson Wells' broadcast of War of the Worlds. At least in that case, Wells said it was all fiction at teh beginning of the broadcast. But people who tuned in late didn't hear that. People were jumping out of windows because they thought Mars had invaded, for god's sake.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi

"couldn't", you mean "couldn't".

Alliance
We talked about this in my Poli Sci class yesterday. (Apparently we DO get international news in the US) I think it was a rather ignorant thing to do.

A political War of the Worlds.

Fishy
Originally posted by Alliance
We talked about this in my Poli Sci class yesterday. (Apparently we DO get international news in the US) I think it was a rather ignorant thing to do.

Why? It started a debate and it made me laugh, it's the best political related news I heard in days...

Da preacher
It was awesome. U shoulda seen the footage man.

smoker4
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
That's pretty irresponsible, isn't it? It reminds me of Orson Wells' broadcast of War of the Worlds. At least in that case, Wells said it was all fiction at teh beginning of the broadcast. But people who tuned in late didn't hear that. People were jumping out of windows because they thought Mars had invaded, for god's sake.

Nice siggy by the way Preacher, Prince is a goddamn musical genius!!

http://mo-prince.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/images/prince11.jpg

Da preacher
I KNOW.

lol

Puttin' his discography on Itunes right now.

smoker4
Originally posted by Da preacher
I KNOW.

lol

Puttin' his discography on Itunes right now.

Most excellent, i managed to get my filthy mits on some rare stuff but am still pissed off about losing one of my favourites, a little song called 'player'

Da preacher
I used to have it, I know, it's awesome.
Shame it ain't been released.

smoker4
Originally posted by Da preacher
I used to have it, I know, it's awesome.
Shame it ain't been released.

Most definatley, i need to burgle his vault and by that i dont mean penetrate him!

Da preacher
We betta continue par PM

FeceMan
My thoughts exactly.

Except, you know, this was far more likely to happen.

Fire
Originally posted by Fishy
No it actually is a pretty funny story, got to love shit like that. Especially because international media agency's and even diplomats picked up on it, absolutely ****ing brilliant smile
Yes that was the most hilarious consequence of the entire event. Shows that international media and diplomats should learn to check their sources. If they had bothered to contact one politician or the RTBF news agency, they would have known it was a hoax. Plus it shows very poor judgement in Belgian politics that they took it for real to start with. But understanding of Belgian politics is something I stopped looking for in international media and with foreign politicians for a long time.

That's the opinion of many politicians over here. But it didn't have those grave consequences. As Fishy said earlier, it sparked a debate that was necessary and long over due.

Originally posted by Alliance

Same reply as before. It's a matter of personal taste, but the debate was necessary.

Originally posted by FeceMan
My thoughts exactly.

Except, you know, this was far more likely to happen.
That's a wrong interpretation of the Belgian political climate. The break up of Belgium is a long time away if it will ever happen. Yes a lot of Flemish, mainly far-right, politicians see this as the ultimate goal but the public will not allow that to happen any time soon. It would not happen over night, unless by force - which is even more unlikely-
The break up of Belgium would be preluded by months and months of debates about a variety of subjects. I, and tons of Belgian politicians and political analysts don't see it happen. The talks about what to do with Brussels would go on and on.

Da preacher
They didn't even bother watching Flemish television which they also receive , it's in the first 10 channels probably.

Dumbasses.

Fishy
Join Holland, we could use another war for Belgium territory over here stick out tongue

Lana
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi

Because of course nothing outside the US is important, right?

roll eyes (sarcastic)

FeceMan
Originally posted by Fire
That's a wrong interpretation of the Belgian political climate. The break up of Belgium is a long time away if it will ever happen. Yes a lot of Flemish, mainly far-right, politicians see this as the ultimate goal but the public will not allow that to happen any time soon. It would not happen over night, unless by force - which is even more unlikely-
The break up of Belgium would be preluded by months and months of debates about a variety of subjects. I, and tons of Belgian politicians and political analysts don't see it happen. The talks about what to do with Brussels would go on and on.
Out of the two events, which is more likely to happen:

Martians invade the Earth OR part of Belgium secedes?

I pick the latter.
Originally posted by Lana
Because of course nothing outside the US is important, right?

roll eyes (sarcastic)
Now you're smartening up.

Fire
In the way they showed on TV? they are both equally unlikely in my eyes. But yea you might have a point. Still people thinking Belgium is about to fall apart don't know anything about Belgium. It's been far worse in our country.

And Fishy no way in hell we will join Holland

Da preacher

Yeah laughing

Fishy
In the way they showed on TV? they are both equally unlikely in my eyes. But yea you might have a point. Still people thinking Belgium is about to fall apart don't know anything about Belgium. It's been far worse in our country.

And Fishy no way in hell we will join Holland

Ah why not??

At least that way we can say that we actually have Dutch people that speak the damn language.

WrathfulDwarf
De revolutie is hier!

Storm
The probability that Flanders and Wallonia would separate completely is quite small. None of the two communities is prepared to give up Brussels, which because of its multilingual status cannot be cut up into a Flemish and Walloon part. Opinion polls show that most Belgians want to maintain the federation.

Fire
Originally posted by Fishy
Ah why not??

At least that way we can say that we actually have Dutch people that speak the damn language.
Too many Flemish people don't like Dutch people. stick out tongue

Fishy
Too many Flemish people don't like Dutch people. stick out tongue

Most Dutch people don't like Dutch people so I still don't see the problem stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.