Civil Unions Passes NJ Assembly & Senate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PVS
http://bluejersey.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=3459
Civil Unions Passes Assembly & Senate

By a vote of 69-5 with six abstentions, the New Jersey Assembly has just passed a bill to outlaw discrimination against New Jersey's transgender citizens. The New Jersey State Senate passed the bill last Monday by a vote of 31-5. The combined vote in the two chambers was an historic 100 to 10, a ten-to-one margin that is the largest margin in American history by which a state legislture has passed a transgender equality law.

The new law will add a citizen's "gender identity or expression" as a basis for protection under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination. Enactment of the new law has been a top priority for Garden State Equality, which has taken a number of bold measures to advance the bill; and for the Gender Rights Advocacy Association of New Jersey, the statewide transgender organization.

Fishy
So it was actually legal to discriminate because of tihs before?

Well that sounds half logical in some jobs like representatives but otherwise that was pretty stupid

Capt_Fantastic
This was less about discrimination and more about civil unions. The discrimination part comes into play when you consider that homosexuals can't get married.

PVS
to demand only the absolute will get you nowhere. you have to wait for all the
old decreped neocons to get old and die, and then real social change will come.
until then its excellent news imho.

its like people who demand that all drugs be legal. that or nothing. how about we first concern ourselves with not having someone thrown in prison for smoking a joint ever again. THEN get your eye back on the prize

Alliance
I agree. While I wish progress could be made instantaneously...something is better than nothing. And unfortunately, thats the way its likely going to play out.

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by PVS
to demand only the absolute will get you nowhere. you have to wait for all the
old decreped neocons to get old and die, and then real social change will come.
until then its excellent news imho.

its like people who demand that all drugs be legal. that or nothing. how about we first concern ourselves with not having someone thrown in prison for smoking a joint ever again. THEN get your eye back on the prize

Is that addressed at me?

I've got no issues with baby steps. As long as they're actually being taken. I think this is a great thing for New Jersey, and marriage equality. I think it represents a big step forward for acceptance of homosexuality as a valid way of living. But to continue with your analogy, a baby doesn't take it's first steps and then sit down for the rest of its life. And in the matter of gay marriage, I'm all for a jumping off point, but "seperate but equal" isn't good enough. And as it is, most people in this country are sitting on their asses. But that's to be expected, since it doesn't effect most people.

Alliance
Its not about the acceptance of homosexuality. Its first and foremost about the dignified and equal treatment of human beings.

Seperate but equal will (hopefully) never last...but don't tell the homophobes/bigots that.

sithsaber408
Hooray?

confused

PVS
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Is that addressed at me?

I've got no issues with baby steps. As long as they're actually being taken. I think this is a great thing for New Jersey, and marriage equality. I think it represents a big step forward for acceptance of homosexuality as a valid way of living. But to continue with your analogy, a baby doesn't take it's first steps and then sit down for the rest of its life. And in the matter of gay marriage, I'm all for a jumping off point, but "seperate but equal" isn't good enough. And as it is, most people in this country are sitting on their asses. But that's to be expected, since it doesn't effect most people.

yeah, im not saying that you should jump on the table and do the irish jig singing "LORDY LORDY FREE AT LAST!!!". just that the top priority at the moment should be to move such antidiscrimination laws to the level of federal. then on to the next challenge.

silver_tears
Finally Jersey has at least one redeeming quality hmm

The Core
I didn't see anything in there about unions..?

EDIT: It's in the article, BTW.

Robtard
PVS, let me be the first to knee-jerk in your thread, allow me the honors...

"The liberals have won! This will destroy the sanctity of marriage! America is doomed!"

PVS
Originally posted by The Core
I didn't see anything in there about unions..?

EDIT: It's in the article, BTW.

my bad:

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Hooray?

confused

Why does your tradition mean so much to you ? Does your tradition truly supercede the value of two people's happiness ?

PVS
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Why does your tradition mean so much to you ? Does your tradition truly supercede the value of two people's happiness ?

...apparently erm

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by PVS
...apparently erm

It's such a shame though....he values something that means nothing... sad

Soleran
It's such a shame though....he values something that means nothing... sad

That's funny!

Maybe tradition means more then happiness to him.

Besides happiness is temporary and is fed by the moment, I think most people can agree "marriage" isn't a constant state of happiness however traditions can loom forever if allowed

eek!

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Soleran
That's funny!

Maybe tradition means more then happiness to him.

Besides happiness is temporary and is fed by the moment, I think most people can agree "marriage" isn't a constant state of happiness however traditions can loom forever if allowed

eek!

So because Tradition tends to last longer than happiness, that makes it of more value ?

Cancer lasts longer than an Orgasm...which do you prefer ?

Soleran
So because Tradition tends to last longer than happiness, that makes it of more value ?

You tell me, I was just presenting another side. You apparently feel happiness should supercede tradition.

You obviously value happiness more, thats fine. Happiness comes and goes in a moment, tradition can last generations.

Not a sermon, just a thought.

So clever, so witty, I'll take orgasm.

PVS
'tradition', in the bastardised fascist sense of the word, is a means of persecuting and judging others who are different, and forcing your own warped sense of right and wrong upon them, while cowardly hiding behind a euphamism...'tradition', 'freedom', 'family' etc. all lovely words stained with sadistic fascist shit. next comes the 'traditional family values concentration camp'

Soleran
Originally posted by PVS
'tradition', in the bastardised fascist sense of the word, is a means of persecuting and judging others who are different, and forcing your own warped sense of right and wrong upon them, while cowardly hiding behind a euphamism...'tradition', 'freedom', 'family' etc. all lovely words stained with sadistic fascist shit. next comes the 'traditional family values concentration camp'

Sure

Happiness is also just a temporary state in which obviously marriage doesn't necessarily maintain.

At the end of the day good for the folks that got this changed, if folks want to get married power to them.

Lol on a side note to traditions, Christmas and Easter just got cancelled these traditions aren't fair to non-christians and make them unhappy.

PVS
Originally posted by Soleran

Lol on a side note to traditions, Christmas and Easter just got cancelled these traditions aren't fair to non-christians and make them unhappy.

niether christmas nor easter are imposed on anyone. sure people have to see santa clause and the easter bunny plastered all over marketing ads, however this is not the imposing of tradition.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by PVS

I know. I think it's so disgusting how f*cktarts like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are claming to "fight for the family", when they end up destroying more families than anyone else.

Robtard
I know. I think it's so disgusting how f*cktarts like Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are claming to "fight for the family", when they end up destroying more families than anyone else.

Here's a little fun hypocrisy...

Many of the more prominent "Gay Marriage Will Destroy The Sanctity...Blah...Blah..." crowd are either divorced themselves or on their 2nd+ marriage.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.