The Chinese River Dolphin is Now Extinct....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Rest in Peace.....

Failure in Yangtze dolphin search

A freshwater dolphin found only in China is "effectively extinct", an expedition has declared following a fruitless six-week search.

The Yangtze River dolphin, or baiji, was listed as "critically endangered" on the Red List of Threatened Species.

It has been dying out due to habitat degradation, overfishing, pollution and ship traffic - which confounds the sonar the animal uses to find food.

Zoologists announced a plan to save the mammal earlier this year.

"We have to accept the fact that the baiji is extinct. We lost the race," said August Pfluger, co-head of the expedition and director of baiji.org, an environmental group dedicated to saving the animal.

"It is a tragedy, a loss not only for China, but for the entire world," he added.

Mr Pfluger admitted it was possible that animals had been missed despite the use of optical and acoustic equipment and trained observers.

The baiji lives along the lower reaches of China's environmentally-degraded Yangtze River and is thought to have been in existence for about 20 million years.

If confirmed, it would be the first large aquatic mammal driven to extinction since hunting and overfishing killed off the Californian monk seal in the 1950s.

The damage to the baiji's habitat is also affecting the Yangtze finless porpoise, whose numbers have fallen to below 400, the expedition found.

http://csiwhalesalive.org/LvWangDingLturn02.jpg

Poor fella. This animal was alive for more than 20 million years....until the friggin' Chinese decided to make plastic bags out of their skins....

sad

WrathfulDwarf
Survival of the Fittest I guess...

Can they Clone the fishy and make more?

Robtard
Though I am sad to see a species go extinct do too pollution and human greed, it had a run of 20 million years and that ain't half bad.

As stated above, "they" should extract DNA from one of those handbags and store it for future cloning procedures.

xmarksthespot
It is, or rather was, a rather weird looking dolphin. I doubt it's remained unchanged for 20 million years though, that seems a bit hyperbolic.Originally posted by Robtard
As stated above, "they" should extract DNA from one of those handbags and store it for future cloning procedures. ...erm

The Core
I ate the last one.

Robtard
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
It is, or rather was, a rather weird looking dolphin. I doubt it's remained unchanged for 20 million years though, that seems a bit hyperbolic.

You never know, if it's form was suited for it's environment and the environment didn't have any drastic changes (I know, hard to believe it didn't considering the time line stated), it is possible it remained largely unchanged. Also the possibility that the species moved around and found similar habitats as it's previous habitat changed.

erm
What's wrong with cloning to restore a species made extinct do to pollution?

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Robtard
What's wrong with cloning to restore a species made extinct do to pollution? It was more to do with the proposed technique being unfeasible.

Robtard
It was more to do with the proposed technique being unfeasible.

Never know what future technologies will hold and depending on the process with which the skin was treated, viable DNA may still exist. That or look for a corpse or a piece of a corpse.

botankus
An animal goes extinct in the backyard of the same people who went door-to-door mauling people's pet dogs over a rabies scare and you're surprised?

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
An animal goes extinct in the backyard of the same people who went door-to-door mauling people's pet dogs over a rabies scare and you're surprised?

The Chinese don't just let animals go extinct you know, if you would see the trouble they are going through to save the panda's... Most western nations never did anything even close to that in their own country when animals were at stake

FeceMan
It was more to do with the proposed technique being unfeasible.
Lol.

but jurssic prak!!11!111!!1

Robtard
Originally posted by FeceMan
Lol.

but jurssic prak!!11!111!!1

You realize cloning is possible with just one viable cell?

FeceMan
You realize that wasn't the point of my post?

Robtard
You realize that wasn't the point of my post?

Then please explain what was the point? I missed it I guess.

botankus
Originally posted by Fishy
The Chinese don't just let animals go extinct you know, if you would see the trouble they are going through to save the panda's... Most western nations never did anything even close to that in their own country when animals were at stake

Congratulations!

They still mangled pet doggies from the leashes of life until a bloody death took their souls.

Fishy
Originally posted by botankus
Congratulations!

They still mangled pet doggies from the leashes of life until a bloody death took their souls.

Dogs don't have souls, it's in the bible.

FeceMan
Then please explain what was the point? I missed it I guess.
Nevermind, then.

Anyway, did you really expect anything more from a country so crappy that it collectively freaks out and bludgeons dogs to death on the streets?

dirkdirden
Now we just have to work on the panda next.

Robtard
Nevermind, then.

Anyway, did you really expect anything more from a country so crappy that it collectively freaks out and bludgeons dogs to death on the streets?

Not sure, it's kind of inconclusive, they obviously killed it off do to pollution and greed, but as Fishy noted, China has also showed compassion and show of force for preserving the Panda.

Still though, the Chinese are not known for their compassion towards animals in general, especially considering their lust for black rhino horn, tiger penis, shark fins etc. etc. etc.

PVS
they should develope a taste for the human uteris and human testicles. that would solve many problems

Fishy
Not sure, it's kind of inconclusive, they obviously killed it off do to pollution and greed, but as Fishy noted, China has also showed compassion and show of force for preserving the Panda.

Still though, the Chinese are not known for their compassion towards animals in general, especially considering their lust for black rhino horn, tiger penis, shark fins etc. etc. etc.

Well that's what a lot of other people would say about the bio-industry... If that's the English word for it

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
they should develope a taste for the human uteris and human testicles. that would solve many problems

Unfortunately, they eat those exotic foods for supposed boost in sexual performance. Silly little bastards should just be happy with the cards they're dealt with and accept that they have small penises.

Maestro
Well by 1998 there was only 7 left in the wild, so you would of thought later down the road they were going to eventually go extinct, guess the panda was first priority smokin'

BackFire
Originally posted by Draco69
Rest in Peace.....

Failure in Yangtze dolphin search

A freshwater dolphin found only in China is "effectively extinct", an expedition has declared following a fruitless six-week search.

The Yangtze River dolphin, or baiji, was listed as "critically endangered" on the Red List of Threatened Species.

It has been dying out due to habitat degradation, overfishing, pollution and ship traffic - which confounds the sonar the animal uses to find food.

Zoologists announced a plan to save the mammal earlier this year.

"We have to accept the fact that the baiji is extinct. We lost the race," said August Pfluger, co-head of the expedition and director of baiji.org, an environmental group dedicated to saving the animal.

"It is a tragedy, a loss not only for China, but for the entire world," he added.

Mr Pfluger admitted it was possible that animals had been missed despite the use of optical and acoustic equipment and trained observers.

The baiji lives along the lower reaches of China's environmentally-degraded Yangtze River and is thought to have been in existence for about 20 million years.

If confirmed, it would be the first large aquatic mammal driven to extinction since hunting and overfishing killed off the Californian monk seal in the 1950s.

The damage to the baiji's habitat is also affecting the Yangtze finless porpoise, whose numbers have fallen to below 400, the expedition found.

Poor fella. This animal was alive for more than 20 million years....until the friggin' Chinese decided to make plastic bags out of their skins....

sad

It's already been established that China sucks, they had an overpopulation problem with dogs and decided that the best way to deal with the "crisis" was to beat a bunch to death with a big stick. I mean, if we were talking about goths or emos or hippies, that's one thing, but these are dogs, dogs deserve better.

I'm not being cute, I really mean it.

Bardock42
Doubt it will have much of an impact.

Capt_Fantastic
Damn! I hope they're not extinct! I think my chinese bloodhound shoes would look FABULOUS! with a nice chinese river dolphine belt!

BlackC@
The chinese are a bunch of selfish friggin' idiots! They don't give a shit about anything besides themselves, especially not a animals.

bigbran
Originally posted by BackFire
It's already been established that China sucks, they had an overpopulation problem with dogs and decided that the best way to deal with the "crisis" was to beat a bunch to death with a big stick. I mean, if we were talking about goths or emos or hippies, that's one thing, but these are dogs, dogs deserve better.

I'm not being cute, I really mean it. laughing laughing laughing

Shalimar_fox
great another animal gone from the face of the earth.this deeply saddens me.But I've always be this way when it comes to animals

sbo
Very sad news. Unfortunately the way things are going in China , it will probably won't be the only animal that country will lose over the next century.

Quiero Mota
Dogs don't have souls, it's in the bible.

All animals have souls, its in the Koran.

Fishy
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
All animals have souls, its in the Koran.

The Koran is fake. It says so in the bible

Quiero Mota
The Koran is fake. It says so in the bible

Nope. The Koran was written 700 years after the Bible, and corrects it.

Fishy
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Nope. The Koran was written 700 years after the Bible, and corrects it.

But the Pope said that the Bible is the only right book and the Pope is the highest voice of God on Earth

grey fox
Originally posted by Draco69

Shite. sad

I bet the bastard would'a tasted great with some lemon and tartar sauce.

Rogue Jedi
such a shame. dolphins are such beautiful creatures.

PVS
i dont know...that one is butt ugly...but still....a shame

Rogue Jedi
other than being fresh water, how does it differ from a regular dolphin?

PVS
im just saying its ugly. should have been the 'dildo-nose' dolphin

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Wha' da fwuck dem dolphins doin' in da river 'nyway? Dey shou' be chillin' an' all in de ocean, fo' real. No doub'. Peas.

Rogue Jedi
poor wittle dolphins.....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.