Christianity Questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

muslimscholar
i am confused if Jesus came to die for sins of Christians then doesn't that mean Christians can do what they want and get away with it coz Jesus died for them?

debbiejo
The thing is anybody that believes in Jesus can be saved. But anyone of any religion is now called a Christian, and yep, you can go on sinning and sinning and sinning and just say the magic words "Forgive me."..Then go on sinning and sinning again...........

Just like that,..........see how easy it is........... confused

muslimscholar
but jesus died so people wont have to ask for forgivness and i thought he was god?

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by muslimscholar
but jesus died so people wont have to ask for forgivness and i thought he was god?

And this is where the trouble starts Muslimscholar.....Christians will often use the "get out free" card, and commit all the wrongs they wish....

muslimscholar
anyone got any answers

Soleran
There are some Christians that would commit sin and do it over and over again while using the I am sorry and accept Jesus in their hearts but without them truly repenting their sins its just empty words and only God can be the judge of that.

The End

Regret
i am confused if Jesus came to die for sins of Christians then doesn't that mean Christians can do what they want and get away with it coz Jesus died for them? Depends on which Christian denomination is being examined. Typically repentance is required for forgiveness to be obtained. Then if one sins following repentance then that individual did not truly repent and has not yet obtained forgiveness. But, yes, there are some (not that my denomination or myself agree with them) that hold that the hypothetical you state is true.

muslimscholar
so what sins did jesus die for if u can ask for forgivness and get rid of ur sins?

Soleran
so what sins did jesus die for if u can ask for forgivness and get rid of ur sins?

He died for the sins of mankind (he didn't differentiate which ones so it's assumed he died for all of them)

There is a story written about it, you should read it before asking a billion questions about it.

muslimscholar
Originally posted by Soleran
He died for the sins of mankind (he didn't differentiate which ones so it's assumed he died for all of them)

There is a story written about it, you should read it before asking a billion questions about it.

yes but if people can ask for forgivness and be forgived

Regret
so what sins did jesus die for if u can ask for forgivness and get rid of ur sins? All sins can be forgiven following true repentance, but then, can one truly repent of all types of sin?

lord xyz
There are some Christians that would commit sin and do it over and over again while using the I am sorry and accept Jesus in their hearts but without them truly repenting their sins its just empty words and only God can be the judge of that.

The End what if they do truly repent their sins then go off doing other sins?

Soleran
Originally posted by lord xyz
what if they do truly repent their sins then go off doing other sins?

Yes WHAT IF then, WHAT IF!?

Man WILL make mistakes, I believe the system in place allows and recognizes that sins will be made, crazy huh.

King Kandy
Yes. That's how Christianity works.

debbiejo
Yet sins are also your thoughts which us being human cannot control. There should be a "Ask only once " clause....

Just like the "Once Saved always saved."

peejayd
* there are sins committed accidentally, or because of ignorance, or due to weakness of flesh... these things are considerable...

"If any one sees his brother committing what is not a mortal sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not mortal. There is sin which is mortal; I do not say that one is to pray for that.
All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal."
I John 5:16-17

* Saint John preached that the brethren in the Church should pray for fellow brethren who committed sins which are NOT mortal... one example of a mortal sin which cannot be forgiven is:

"For if we sin deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,
But a fearful prospect of judgment, and a fury of fire which will consume the adversaries."
Hebrews 10:26-27

* sins committed deliberately... so the logic that states if we commit sin and ask for forgiveness and we will be forgiven regardless of what kind of sin committed is not in accord with Christ's teachings... wink

peejayd
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yet sins are also your thoughts which us being human cannot control. There should be a "Ask only once " clause....

Just like the "Once Saved always saved."

* the "Once Saved Always Saved" doctrine, often used by Baptist churches and Born Again / Charismatic fellowships, is not in accord with the Bible...

"Look to yourselves, that you may not lose what you have worked for, but may win a full reward."
II John 8

* salvation can be lost... wink

debbiejo
According to the scriptures yes....You're name CAN be taken out of the book of life..........I agree.

Bardock42
And they couldn't before. Nice of Jebus to do that for us folks, eh?

muslimscholar
yes but jesus is god and he couldent forgived them so he kills himself so people can be forgived

Alliance
I belive most Christians say that he didn't kill himslef, but rather allowed himself to be killed.

In some branches of Christianity, Jesus is not God, but a man.

lord xyz
Yes WHAT IF then, WHAT IF!?

Man WILL make mistakes, I believe the system in place allows and recognizes that sins will be made, crazy huh. Not so much crazy, more along the lines of ridiculous.

ska57
i am confused if Jesus came to die for sins of Christians then doesn't that mean Christians can do what they want and get away with it coz Jesus died for them?

"What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer?" Romans 6:1-2

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Alliance
I belive most Christians say that he didn't kill himslef, but rather allowed himself to be killed.

In some branches of Christianity, Jesus is not God, but a man.

I believe I read that somewhere as well...or I could be wrong.

Alliance
There are so many sects and differing opinons, its often hard to keep them straight.

ska57
There are so many sects and differing opinons, its often hard to keep them straight.

That is why my only source for Christianity is the Bible, not some person who makes something up that seems better, because in the end it leads to death.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death." Proverbs 14:12

lil bitchiness
So, that means everyone should ignore the Pope. If thats the case, I agree.

Alliance
Your opinon is just as guilty. The bible has been irrovcable changed throught history by varying religious sects. The bible too, was made up by people.

That quote is not contextual at all, and doesn't even make sense in this situation.

muslimscholar
if the bible is the word of god then why are things sometimes been thrown out or put in by men?

M.T. STYLE
what if god just one of us.

Alliance
if the bible is the word of god then why are things sometimes been thrown out or put in by men?

Its not. Thats why ALL holy texts are wrong.

lord xyz
Its not. Thats why ALL holy texts are wrong. OR rather some are right, but it's impossible to tell.

Alliance
Yes, Better explination.

debbiejo
And many texts were edit and others thrown out.

Alliance
And they weren't even written at the same time.

debbiejo
And seems the texts are added onto from one to the other. Like they were copied, then added to.

Alliance
Biased sources.

debbiejo
Selected sources too.

Alliance
sources with alterior motives?

Lord Urizen
Who cares ? Most religions suck ne way..... thumb down

Alliance
So? We can still study them.

debbiejo
sources with alterior motives? Sources with different views were thrown out. And new ones added in with the alterior motives...........ta ta ta daaaa!!............St. Paul laughing out loud The new guy that god didn't pick.

Yet there really are not any scriptures to be seen today. Only bits and pieces. What we have today are the early fathers views and additions and what they thought were important.

lil bitchiness

All Holy Books were written by men. God would not put all this wisdom to us in a single book then expect us to blindly follow it.

That is why God would not bring a book down to begin with. There are far too many complex relations and things in this world, socially consructed and otherwise, which are not static - eveything changes, and everything will keep on changing.
God wants you to read othe things, explore other ways (that is assuming God is watching you)

A God who believes one book is for all time is a very simple God.

(And above is my logical evaluation of things)

However...

If reading the Qur'an makes you spiritually fullfilled, than thats fine. This might be the way to God, but it is not THE ONLY way.
Same goes if you believe in Jesus, Moses or abraham. If such makes you spiritually fullfilled, then who am I to claim otherwise.

Believe in stones brother, as long as you don't throw them at me.

Alfheim
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I believe I read that somewhere as well...or I could be wrong.

No thats correct they are called Unitarian Christians. They believe that Jesus was man and not God. If thats what you are refering to.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Alfheim
No thats correct they are called Unitarian Christians. They believe that Jesus was man and not God. If thats what you are refering to.

I think so. Im pretty sure I read it somewhere, or heard it, but I was not sure.

Thanks!

Alliance
Originally posted by Alfheim

Thats at least what I was referring to. I'm sure lil thought the same.

Lord Urizen
So? We can still study them.

That is true yes

mahasattva

It is not. The same thing with other religious text, the Torah, Koran, the Bhagavad gita etc... the concept of God did not descend from religions. Both religion and god are the inventions of man

mahasattva
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Who cares ? Most religions suck ne way..... thumb down

Is Buddhism rocks? cool

Alfheim
Originally posted by mahasattva
Is Buddhism rocks? cool

Its too laid back for me.

Alliance
Is Buddhism rocks? cool

no

mahasattva
no

Highly educated people and even ordinary man have highly respect with this great religion...Buddhism is becoming popular to the west... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Alliance
Its a fad.

A bunch of people figured out that Abrhamic gods weren't the only ones around and went slaphappy.

Buddhism is too often viewed as this perfect relgion. People overlook its own flaws because its currently considered popular.

Lord Urizen
Is Buddhism rocks? cool

Buddhism is hott....

My prior statement was just a joke....Christianity and Islam have the potential to become very productive and positive forces..they always had that potential. But unfortunately, since religion is nothing more than a human construct in general, they are prone to corruption.

lil bitchiness
Buddhism's is not a religion, its a philosophical thought, for a lot of people.

Buddhism is in the same group as Epicureanism, I would say. (not by the philosphy, but by the type)

Lord Urizen
Buddhism is a lot more appealing to me than all other religions though, atleast as a philosophy...

However, as a mythology Hinduism definately beats all !

lil bitchiness
Buddhism is very difficult to practice - properly at least.

debbiejo
Buddhism seems ok, but New age is kinda cool, they accept all views ecpect traditional religions..It's a very acceptive spiritual view and encompasses very much.

Lord Urizen
Buddhism is very difficult to practice - properly at least.

Yes, because it asks us to let go of the self, and to resist all urge to do harm to another. That's not something most people are ready to do yet....

lord xyz
Its a fad.

A bunch of people figured out that Abrhamic gods weren't the only ones around and went slaphappy.

Buddhism is too often viewed as this perfect relgion. People overlook its own flaws because its currently considered popular. I too am skeptical of this religion being as great as it is said to be.

m. sade
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
Yes, because it asks us to let go of the self, and to resist all urge to do harm to another. That's not something most people are ready to do yet....

"There could be no greater mistake than for a Westerner the direct practice of *, for it would be a matter of his will and his consciousness, and would only strengthen the latter, bringing about the very effect to be avoided."
-Jung (1930)
"Secret of the Golden Flower"

Of course, this was written in the 1930s when the divide between the East and West was more distinctly felt, but my impression is that in addition to some people not being ready for it yet, their conscious efforts to do so would have the opposite effect of reinforcing the ego.

m. sade

mahasattva
Its a fad.

Buddhism is too often viewed as this perfect relgion. People overlook its own flaws because its currently considered popular.

Not so in Buddhism. Its because buddha's teachings are humanistic philosophy that elucidates the truth and the workings of human mind which guides the supreme way of life and the reverence of all living beings.This what makes it popular and appealing to the people.

Alliance
Any religion will sell itself, and its not that simple.

Besides, there are many other philosophies that teach the same things.

mahasattva

mahasattva
Any religion will sell itself, and its not that simple.

Besides, there are many other philosophies that teach the same things.

Buddhism don't sell by itself. People just love the Buddha Dharma if they could discover it..

Alliance
laughing out loud Oh I love hearing that. Thats what every religion says.

m. sade
I find all the exalted sentiment upsets my stomach... sick

If I had to state a preference though, it would definitely be Chinese Buddhism, specically Chan Buddhism.... (Linji was the man chair)

Alliance
concerning....buddhism?

m. sade
i was specifically referring to the article above and mahasattva's promotion of nichiren buddhism... but in general i do find enthusiastic zeal.... nauseous

no, i respect buddhism, but i don't feel obligated to like it

ThePittman

lil bitchiness
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, they are not two separate religions.

ThePittman
Catholicism is a branch of Christianity, they are not two separate religions. Well I know that there are many branches of Christianity and many have different views and beliefs.

Alliance
Christianity was not around until about 50 years after "Jesus's" death. That is when the first books of the New Testement were first written.

Religions similar to Christianity were around before Christianity.

Catholicism is Christianity, one of its three main branches.

The ironic message that you are indirectyl hitting on is that the Jews, who worship the same god as Christians, supposedly were not saved, according to some versions of Christianity, because they did not accept Christ. So, even though they were following God's will, because he had not sent his "son" yet, they were burned.

Of course, in Christianity there are so many sects and competing ideas that there is no "this is Christian" archtype.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by ThePittman
Well I know that there are many branches of Christianity and many have different views and beliefs.

You asked the diffeance between Chistianity and Catholicism, so I assumed you meant that Catholicism is different to Chistianity.

ThePittman

Alliance
No. You've, frankly, read wrong. The Old Testement was around, but that was co-opted from the Torah. Christianity was not founded as a religion until maybe about 100 CE

ThePittman

Alliance
Didn't you mother ever teach you about the quality of websites on the internet? stick out tongue

Any religion will do anyhting to justify its historical existance as THE religoin. Fortunately, most do so against fact, so its easy to spot the liars.

lord xyz

ThePittman

lord xyz

ThePittman
Originally posted by lord xyz
The history of western religion?!? That book sounds retarded. No offense. It was a pretty good book; we had to read it for my university class.

lil bitchiness
Oh yeah, as aleady pointed out, all of the Old Testament is Torah. Chistianity, technically is only the New Testament.

Nellinator
As for Christianity beginning before Christ, it may have been a reference to the belief amongst the Jews that a Messiah would come according to prophecy. That is the only explanation that I can think of.

As for name Christians, it is first used in the Bible in Acts 11:26 where it says:
"The disciples were called Christians first at Antioch."

Basically there were thousands of people already following the teachings of Christ and accepting him as the Messiah at the time Acts was written for which there are varying dates from about 60AD-80AD, both of which are equally feasible as far as I can tell. If the book was recorded after the events it seems feasible that the term 'Christians' could have been used as early as five years after the death of Christ and no later than fifty years after.

Christian is a Greek term as Christ is the Greek word for Savior which is why it would be used in Antioch, a Hellene city.

finti
teaching of Jesus, christ is a label that his followers pinned on him

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.