A friendly public service announcement

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PandoraMomo
As some of you know, I currently work at a restaurant/movie theater as a hostess/concierge/server.
We recently have been having some problems with our "guests". People like to forget to give tips. Seriously, that is horrible. Servers do not make very much at all hourly, and most of a servers income is from tips. I understand it is the holidays, and everyone's budgets are tight right now, but please, be considerate. If you stiff us on tips, we will remember you. If you come back another time, and stiff us again, we will really remember you, and you will get the bare miminum amount of courtesy possible.

So remember, tips=happy servers and good service.

Thank you and happy holidays! big grin

Dusty
I shall tip my waitress. She might just be you.

Röland
Tip your delivery guy too. big grin

Dusty

Lana
Hah, smartass stick out tongue

Spearhead
Eh, I thought it was clever

Röland
Originally posted by Dusty
I'm not expecting a child.

pffft

See if you get your pizza on time. mhmm

Dusty

Starhawk
LOL I tip my GF after a good night of sex, does that count?

smoker4
Originally posted by Starhawk

No paying for sex doesnt count!

Dusty

You give her actual tips or money?

Starhawk
If shes good in the sack why would she need actual tips? LMAO

Dusty
If shes good in the scak why would she need actual tips? LMAO

I'm not familiar with a "scak". Acronym?

Sammy Davis Jr's Crib Around Krypton?

Edit: I'm glad you know how to use the edit function. 2 points.

smoker4

Sercret Code About Kock

Starhawk
Yes, after years and years of painstaking trials, finnaly I have it mastered.

Röland
Are you saying my wife is ugly?

Not at all, I'm saying you suck at tipping.

ThePittman
I delivered pizza for 8 years while going through school and college and we remember if you tip us or not and let me just say $2 for 5 pizzas is a crappy tip. wink

Röland
Originally posted by ThePittman
I delivered pizza for 8 years while going through school and college and we remember if you tip us or not and let me just say $2 for 5 pizzas is a crappy tip. wink

Yeah the other night I had to deliver 2 pizzas, 3 orders of wings and 2 bottles of pop to this one guys house.

I got a $1.50 tip. sad

Starhawk
Once while I was work on a play some of the cast memebers went to a resturant and the waitress had to remember our orders by giving us number where we were sitting. By the time she got back we had all moved so everyone gave her a 5$ tip. So 20x 5$

ThePittman

Barker

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396155

Röland
Sometimes they are good some are bad, the worst one that I ever got was on a $1,500 order and got $10. I had another guy that I delivered to once or twice a week for 6 years and he only gave me the 15 cent change ever time off a $20 order. mad

Holy crap what was the $1,500 order for?

Yeah I've gotten the old "keep the change" line when the change is only 25 cents.

ThePittman

Röland
It was to the spring training camp for the Angels in Arizona. We used to get $700 to $1000 orders all the time from our store. When the Cowboys were in town for Super Bowl 30 we had over a $2000 order that we took to them, got a $300 tip off of that one.

That must have been cool, I mean not only do you get a awesome tip, you get to deliver to sports teams.

Barker
It was to the spring training camp for the Angels in Arizona. We used to get $700 to $1000 orders all the time from our store. When the Cowboys were in town for Super Bowl 30 we had over a $2000 order that we took to them, got a $300 tip off of that one.
Autographs?

ThePittman

Dusty
Originally posted by Barker
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396155 http://www.jewoftheday.com/Ulpan/Images/Sammy%20Davis%20Jr.jpg

Leo.M
I always tip. $2 if its a fast food place and $10 if its a fancy place.

Kelly_LS
Originally posted by PandoraMomo
As some of you know, I currently work at a restaurant/movie theater as a hostess/concierge/server.
We recently have been having some problems with our "guests". People like to forget to give tips. Seriously, that is horrible. Servers do not make very much at all hourly, and most of a servers income is from tips. I understand it is the holidays, and everyone's budgets are tight right now, but please, be considerate. If you stiff us on tips, we will remember you. If you come back another time, and stiff us again, we will really remember you, and you will get the bare miminum amount of courtesy possible.

Thank you and happy holidays! big grin
Actually no offense but most people don't forget to tip their waitresses/waitors, they just actually didn't like the service and/or attitude that they received from the waitress/waitor. smile There's a tip for YOU instead. smile

Röland
Originally posted by Kelly_LS
Actually no offense but most people don't forget to tip their waitresses/waitors, they just actually didn't like the service and/or attitude that they received from the waitress/waitor. smile There's a tip for YOU instead. smile

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make sh*t.

Enough said. 31

Dusty
Society says, "Don't tip these guys over here, but tip these guys over here." It's bullshit.

PandoraMomo
Honestly, I'd understand that, but when your guest satisfaction rating is 99%(the highest in our company), and when you never hear any complaints, for the most part, that kind of kills that idea.

PandoraMomo
I shall tip my waitress. She might just be you.
thank you! my goal has been acheived

Originally posted by Lana
Hah, smartass stick out tongue
bey-otch

Originally posted by Röland
Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!
Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?
Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.
Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?
Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make sh*t.

Enough said. 31
I love that!!! Yeah, most servers make under $4.50 an hour

Röland

Kelly_LS
Honestly, I'd understand that, but when your guest satisfaction rating is 99%(the highest in our company), and when you never hear any complaints, for the most part, that kind of kills that idea.
I was just saying. I mean I'm sure you'd be a good waitress. It was just a thought. Maybe people are just rude or short on a few bucks and use other methods of payment?

Lana
I was just saying. I mean I'm sure you'd be a good waitress. It was just a thought. Maybe people are just rude or short on a few bucks and use other methods of payment?

If people are rude, that's their problem, and doesn't give them a right to take it out on the server. Short a few bucks, again, their problem, you should make sure you have enough to cover tip, that's like not putting tax into account. Using other methods of payment, NOT an excuse at all, because if you're paying by card there is a spot to write in a tip.

So no, not excuses to not tip at all.

PandoraMomo
I'm not bashing you or anything, Im sorry if it came off that way. It just seems that alot of people dont seem to think that tipping is something that you need to do, and that is just freaking rude

Impediment
Mr. Pink's spiel about not tipping in the movie Reservoir Dogs makes sense to me, in some aspects.

Dusty
Originally posted by Impediment
Mr. Pink's spiel about not tipping in the movie Reservoir Dogs makes sense to me, in some aspects.

That it does. But Mr. Pink also had the ignorance to stick around the rendezvous until the cops showed up.

Leo.M
If people are rude, that's their problem, and doesn't give them a right to take it out on the server. Short a few bucks, again, their problem, you should make sure you have enough to cover tip, that's like not putting tax into account. Using other methods of payment, NOT an excuse at all, because if you're paying by card there is a spot to write in a tip.

That's a laugh. No wonder some people don't tip.

I personally do tip, every time. I say please and thank you and I've very well behaved the whole time even if the waitress is taking forever. But I seriously doubt it's the buyers fault that waitress/waitors depend on tips or that they expect a tip. erm

You want more money, get a better job. Don't count on tips to come in.

Röland
Originally posted by Impediment

I understand what you're saying Imp. I can see how customers might not have liked the service and won't tip.

But if you work as a waiter/waitress or a delivery person you don't exactly get raises so most of the money you'll make is on tips. I make $20 - $30 on tips alone when I work.

To me I think if you don't like the service atleast tip something just don't leave nothing.

Lana
Originally posted by Leo.M
That's a laugh. No wonder some people don't tip.

I personally do tip, every time. I say please and thank you and I've very well behaved the whole time even if the waitress is taking forever. But I seriously doubt it's the buyers fault that waitress/waitors depend on tips or that they expect a tip. erm

You want more money, get a better job. Don't count on tips to come in.

Servers HAVE to rely on tips because they make under minimum wage. The reason they make under minimum wage is because the employers expect them to make the difference in tips. You can make good money from tips as a server.

Think of it this way - if they changed it so that servers got paid a higher wage and thus didn't have to rely on tips, that would mean restaurants having to raise their prices - significantly - to cover the wages. And people would whine and b!tch about that. So I'd say it is indirectly the fault of the customers who want everything for nothing that the system is like it is now.

Kelly_LS

Good point. I wasn't like disagreeing in my first post, I just had that thought. I do agree though. It's never happened in my family but some of my friends play this game called Dine'n'Dash and I came up with that.
I'm not bashing you or anything, Im sorry if it came off that way. It just seems that alot of people dont seem to think that tipping is something that you need to do, and that is just freaking rude
Oh I know!!! I know you weren't bashing me, stick out tongue. No offense taken by any of that. Sorry if I came off like that in my first post. Every time we've ever gone out to a restaurant we've always tipped, even if the waitor/waitress wasn't very nice.

Storm
Over here, service charge is always included and tipping is not expected. It is optional, and only given as a sign of appreciation.

Ceterum censeo OTF esse delendam.

PandoraMomo
Good point. I wasn't like disagreeing in my first post, I just had that thought. I do agree though. It's never happened in my family but some of my friends play this game called Dine'n'Dash and I came up with that.

Oh I know!!! I know you weren't bashing me, stick out tongue. No offense taken by any of that. Sorry if I came off like that in my first post. Every time we've ever gone out to a restaurant we've always tipped, even if the waitor/waitress wasn't very nice.
Ok.

Thorinn

Thank you and happy holidays! big grin If I grabbed your ass, would you spit in my food? naughty

silver_tears
I prefer the way in France, the tip is counted into the price of the meal as a separate payment. They warn you ahead of time, don't wanna tip, don't eat there.

I always tip, obviously at times the tip is much higher depending on the service and such, and I'll be honest, even my general mood at the moment.

However, here servers at restaurants make several dollars above minimum wage to begin with, so them automatically expecting to be tipped is ridiculous. People working retail for example don't get tipped for simply doing their job.

That being said, I'll be working as a waitress during the summer for about 5 months, so I plan on using all my skills to my advantage to rake in the tips. The place I'm eyeing, they make on average 150 in a 8 hour shift on tips alone. Add to that the 72+ bucks wage. w00t

Soleran
Tips shouldn't be expected they should be earned.

If someone looked to add a "tip" into the cost of my meal I wouldn't call that a tip anymore.

I will say great servers can really rake in the cash though, I love to tip good/great servers.

silver_tears
Exactly on the spot with the enjoying tipping good servers bit.

Although to be fair, I tip hot guys way more than any chick would make off me blush2
Specially ones I seriously flirt with.
It's an easy way to get free drinks haha

Soleran
Originally posted by silver_tears
Exactly on the spot with the enjoying tipping good servers bit.

Although to be fair, I tip hot guys way more than any chick would make off me blush2
Specially ones I seriously flirt with.
It's an easy way to get free drinks haha

Well with that in mind you should make a great deal of money in the summer, stick with the male patrons though wink

silver_tears
I plan on it, and I'll be honest, I'll use my boobs to my advantage. thumb up
And once I get my serving license for bars, I'll be golden haha drunken male patrons baby shock

Soleran
And once I get my serving license for bars, I'll be golden haha drunken male patrons baby shock

thumb up

PandoraMomo
Originally posted by Soleran
Tips shouldn't be expected they should be earned.

If someone looked to add a "tip" into the cost of my meal I wouldn't call that a tip anymore.

I will say great servers can really rake in the cash though, I love to tip good/great servers.
If the server is horrible, then by all means they do not deserve a tip, but if they do a good job, and you are happy with thier service, I would highly suggest tipping.

Röland

Are you going to use the old "whoops I spilled the drink in your lap technique?" stick out tongue

PandoraMomo
that sounds like something I have said before, since I plan on getting my bartending liscence as well.

Oh, and my one co-worker refers to my boobs as "the reason Mo gets alot of tips"

Lana

laughing out loud I gotta admit, if I ever get a job as a waitress, I'd probably do the same thing.

that sounds like something I have said before, since I plan on getting my bartending liscence as well.

Oh, and my one co-worker refers to my boobs as "the reason Mo gets alot of tips"

That's because your boobs are awesome.

Soleran
If the server is horrible, then by all means they do not deserve a tip, but if they do a good job, and you are happy with thier service, I would highly suggest tipping.

I agree with you 100%, which is why I do like to tip and I tip (what I feel to be very well 20%) when the service is good/great.

Sucky servers though get the shaft and a dirty table left to bus!

silver_tears

Dusty
I plan on the "leaning forward while subtly pushing the breasts together and upwards while sliding the drink forward across the counter." hmm

Don't lose your glasses

silver_tears

These suckers are brilliant aren't they?
I feel no shame abusing them in such a way evillaugh

Soleran
So maybe if a guy stuffed a sock down his crotch and shoved it in the faces of girls as he served drinks he might get some extra tips as well, maybe!

I so want to be a male server if thats true! smart

PandoraMomo
laughing out loud I gotta admit, if I ever get a job as a waitress, I'd probably do the same thing.

That's because your boobs are awesome.
as are yours, my dear
I plan on the "leaning forward while subtly pushing the breasts together and upwards while sliding the drink forward across the counter." hmm
I go in for the kill when Im serving in the theater. The tables are lower in there, so i'd have to lean over anyway to put down plates and drinks, I just makes sure certain people get certain views

silver_tears
Don't lose your glasses

I'm not completely useless ermm
Not always anyways.

Lana
as are yours, my dear

I go in for the kill when Im serving in the theater. The tables are lower in there, so i'd have to lean over anyway to put down plates and drinks, I just makes sure certain people get certain views

Haha, that's awesome.

These suckers are brilliant aren't they?
I feel no shame abusing them in such a way evillaugh

If you've got it, flaunt it!

Momo knows how often I like to wear low-cut tops stick out tongue

Bardock42
I'm very sorry the government taxes their tips, that's ****ed up. That ain't my fault. It would seem to me that waitresses are one of the many groups the government ****s in the ass on a regular basis. Look, if you ask me to sign something that says the government shouldn't do that, I'll sign it, put it to a vote, I'll vote for it, but what I won't do is play ball. And as for this non-college bullshit I got two words for that: learn to ****in' type, 'cause if you're expecting me to help out with the rent you're in for a big ****in' surprise.

Anyways, tips are based on the performance of the server (besides our slaves make more money over here anyways)

Röland
So maybe if a guy stuffed a sock down his crotch and shoved it in the faces of girls as he served drinks he might get some extra tips as well, maybe!

I should try that on my next delivery. hmm

silver_tears

I so want to be a male server if thats true! smart

Highest tips I ever gave was a.) this guy who was in uniform for the restaurant (black dress pants, white dress shirt tucked in) and he had this awesome belt on, drew the eyes right to his ass when he walked away, and it was super. doped

and b.) also uniform, same thing, black dress pants and tucked in white dress shirt, except he looked a touch ruffled (really busy time) and his shirt looked as if he just had some wild sex because it was a little disheveled and clingy to his bod, well that just led to dirty thoughts and such.

Both were attractive too, I mean lets be honest, the attractive ones obviously make the best money just by being flirty. No amount of peppiness or bubbliness would help some truly ugly server. erm
Just one flirty look from the hot server and that's a guaranteed tip if they're any good.

silver_tears
as are yours, my dear

Best way to get ahead laughing out loud

Soleran
Highest tips I ever gave was a.) this guy who was in uniform for the restaurant (black dress pants, white dress shirt tucked in) and he had this awesome belt on, drew the eyes right to his ass when he walked away, and it was super. doped

and b.) also uniform, same thing, black dress pants and tucked in white dress shirt, except he looked a touch ruffled (really busy time) and his shirt looked as if he just had some wild sex because it was a little disheveled and clingy to his bod, well that just led to dirty thoughts and such.

Both were attractive too, I mean lets be honest, the attractive ones obviously make the best money just by being flirty. No amount of peppiness or bubbliness would help some truly ugly server. erm
Just one flirty look from the hot server and that's a guaranteed tip if they're any good.

Wow, guess I need to look for a job as a server I would crack six figures in no time then. big grin

silver_tears
Wow, guess I need to look for a job as a server I would crack six figures in no time then. big grin

As long as your ass never quits. hmm

Mišt

Well by the same regard, if you pick a shit job that relys on tipping, then its your problem. You cant just tell people to tip, and that they are wrong/bad/lazy/pricks for not doing it.
'Oh can you cough up a few extra bucks to give me, even though I've done what's required in my job and getting paid for it anyway'. If you're on minimum wage and complaining about it, get another job. Some people do, some people dont, if it was set up as Irene said where it is mentioned beforehand, at least then there is no excuse.

Originally posted by Storm
Over here, service charge is always included and tipping is not expected. It is optional, and only given as a sign of appreciation.

Ceterum censeo OTF esse delendam.

Ditto, then again, servers arent on minimum wage here.

TheKingofKINGS!

Thank you and happy holidays! big grin I never understood why servers should get tipped and not people like doctors, or..firemen. You get paid minimum wage just like the baggage boys do, but they don't get tips.

But hey, whatever.

Lana
Servers do not get paid minimum wage in the US. They are paid a significant amount UNDER minimum wage.

Baggage boys do get tipped, actually.

And believe it or not, jobs are not easy to find. Which is why people get stuck working shit ones for shit pay. Because they have no choice in the matter, it's that or nothing.

Strangelove
Some people say I tip too much ermm

Röland
Originally posted by Strangelove
Some people say I tip too much ermm

You better tip me when I deliver your pizza. ermm

Strangelove

Lana
I think retail workers should get tipped ermm

Röland
I don't at school. Cuz I'm po'

Start recyclin them bottles boy! stick out tongue

TheKingofKINGS!
I think that professional entertainers shoudn't get paid nearly as much as they do. They get paid more for a week or work than the president does for an entire term. That's wrong.

Dusty
I think retail workers should get tipped ermm

I don't think anyone should be tipped.

Lana
I don't think anyone should be tipped.

Try working a service or retail job and then see how much you think that.

Dusty
Try working a service or retail job and then see how much you think that.

That wasn't the impression I intended to make.

If I had things my way, every service and retail job would be paid just above minimum wage. A fair payment that would add average tips made.

TheKingofKINGS!
I mean, the tips are taxed anyways. erm

Lana
That wasn't the impression I intended to make.

If I had things my way, every service and retail job would be paid just above minimum wage. A fair payment that would add average tips made.

Making minimum wage higher would help that greatly.

And speaking of, it was voted to be raised in Illinois which makes me happy, it's going to be $7.50 big grin

Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
I mean, the tips are taxed anyways. erm

Well, duh. Any earned income is taxed.

BakaXero
haha I find that over here if you want good tips you work for a pub and most pubs have pokies (slot machines) and people who win usually give generous tips.

TheKingofKINGS!

And speaking of, it was voted to be raised in Illinois which makes me happy, it's going to be $7.50 big grin

Well, duh. Any earned income is taxed. And he I am stuck n PA with a Minimum wage of $5.25.

Though all raising the minium wage will do is raise unemployment and inflation. **** the economic system.

Dusty

Awesome. smile

Röland
The minimum wage in Ohio is $5.15 but it's getting raised to $6.25 or somewhere around there.

Lana
And he I am stuck n PA with a Minimum wage of $5.25.

Though all raising the minium wage will do is raise unemployment and inflation. **** the economic system.

No, actually it really won't. Most places that hire people for minimum wage are large corporations and they can easily absorb the raise.

Awesome. smile

Yes. Should what I make be raised accordingly with the min. wage raise, I'll be making almost $8 an hour once that goes into effect.

Dusty
Yes. Should what I make be raised accordingly with the min. wage raise, I'll be making almost $8 an hour once that goes into effect.

What do you plan to do with the difference made?

Strangelove

And speaking of, it was voted to be raised in Illinois which makes me happy, it's going to be $7.50 big grinThe Democratic Congress wants to raise the national min. wage to $7.75, I believe.

It's still $5.15 in Indiana glare

Lana
What do you plan to do with the difference made?

Well, I've got car insurance bills to pay, and a trip to England and college stuff to save for.

The Democratic Congress wants to raise the national min. wage to $7.75, I believe.

It's still $5.15 in Indiana glare

That would be pretty awesome.

And the minimum wage right now is really kind of ridiculous. You cannot live on $5.15 an hour working full time.

TheKingofKINGS!
No, actually it really won't. Most places that hire people for minimum wage are large corporations and they can easily absorb the raise.

Yes. Should what I make be raised accordingly with the min. wage raise, I'll be making almost $8 an hour once that goes into effect. You seem to forget small family buisnesses that will have to fire that nice boy from down the street who needs his five and a quater to feed his daughter, because his wife died, and she didn't have life insurance. Trust me... a lot of places (At least in Pittsburgh) that hire for minimum wage would have to make some paycuts/fire some people were minumum wage to be raised.

Lana
You seem to forget small family buisnesses that will have to fire that nice boy from down the street who needs his five and a quater to feed his daughter, because his wife died, and she didn't have life insurance. Trust me... a lot of places (At least in Pittsburgh) that hire for minimum wage would have to make some paycuts/fire some people were minumum wage to be raised.

I can see a small family business having trouble with it, but they're really becoming quite rare.

The current national minimum wage is not enough to upkeep a standard of living, for that matter. Meaning, you can't live on $5.15 an hour working full time.

Strangelove
That would be pretty awesome.

And the minimum wage right now is really kind of ridiculous. You cannot live on $5.15 an hour working full time. Yeah, it's 'Big Business' that opposing it, I don't think any small businesses are really complaining

Dusty
Well, I've got car insurance bills to pay, and a trip to England and college stuff to save for.

Sounds good. Glad to know your money is going to a good cause.

TheKingofKINGS!
I can see a small family business having trouble with it, but they're really becoming quite rare.

The current national minimum wage is not enough to upkeep a standard of living, for that matter. Meaning, you can't live on $5.15 an hour working full time. Pittsburhg is full of those small family buisnesses. Go to Squirrel Hill, and you'll see it's basically all family buisnesses. (Despite a starbucks and a Barnes and Noble.)

Lana
Yeah, it's 'Big Business' that opposing it, I don't think any small businesses are really complaining

Yup. The small businesses that might have a bit of trouble with raising the wage are fine doing so, but the big box companies like Walmart that can easily absorb the additional cost are the ones pitching fits.

Pittsburhg is full of those small family buisnesses. Go to Squirrel Hill, and you'll see it's basically all family buisnesses. (Despite a starbucks and a Barnes and Noble.)

Is that common, though?

No, not at all.

TheKingofKINGS!
Yup. The small businesses that might have a bit of trouble with raising the wage are fine doing so, but the big box companies like Walmart that can easily absorb the additional cost are the ones pitching fits.

Is that common, though?

No, not at all. Maybe it's not common around the country, but it is in my area. About half the city is small buisnesses. A raise in Minimum wage would be a real hit on the Burgh.

Mišt
Servers do not get paid minimum wage in the US. They are paid a significant amount UNDER minimum wage.

Baggage boys do get tipped, actually.

And believe it or not, jobs are not easy to find. Which is why people get stuck working shit ones for shit pay. Because they have no choice in the matter, it's that or nothing.

You should be able to dispute it then, min. wage here is $6.50 I think, currency converter says its about $5US, if you are earning under that and you are over 20 then somethings ****ed up. You're not with any workers unions or anything?

Hell you would make twice that in fast food, why you would get a job like that in the first place is beyond me....srug

$8US = $10AU (Im using this http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi so it might be off), you work at EB right? How the **** does a 20 yr old make under $10AU at a retail chain store? blink I gotta say, your economy sucks, you would make more at McDonalds doing piss work than retail.

I work in fast food and I make about $9US @ 19 yrs old, and its not even that big of a chain brand like McD's. And I thought that was piss pay so I got a second job and make $9.6US on training pay with about 3 upcoming pay rises in the next 3 months..

But back on the tipping thing, some of the customers might be doing the same kind of work and simply cant afford to spare the extra $ despite how good the service is, usually they have signs here saying something like 'A 10% service charge applies to all transactions' or something of the sort rather than people paying for what it advertised and then just assuming people will tip.

Strangelove
Servers do not get paid minimum wage in the US. They are paid a significant amount UNDER minimum wage.Although you are correct, if the tips along with the wage do not equal the same as if they were getting minimum wage, the employer is required by law to make up the difference

not that it makes it any better, of course

Lana
Originally posted by Mišt
You should be able to dispute it then, min. wage here is $6.50 I think, currency converter says its about $5US, if you are earning under that and you are over 20 then somethings ****ed up. You're not with any workers unions or anything?

Hell you would make twice that in fast food, why you would get a job like that in the first place is beyond me....srug

$8US = $10AU (Im using this http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi so it might be off), you work at EB right? How the **** does a 20 yr old make under $10AU at a retail chain store? blink I gotta say, your economy sucks, you would make more at McDonalds doing piss work than retail.

I work in fast food and I make about $9US @ 19 yrs old, and its not even that big of a chain brand like McD's. And I thought that was piss pay so I got a second job and make $9.6US on training pay with about 3 upcoming pay rises in the next 3 months..

But back on the tipping thing, some of the customers might be doing the same kind of work and simply cant afford to spare the extra $ despite how good the service is, usually they have signs here saying something like 'A 10% service charge applies to all transactions' or something of the sort rather than people paying for what it advertised and then just assuming people will tip.

The national minimum wage in the US is $5.15, though what it actually is varies from state to state; in Illinois it is $6.50 right now but will be soon raised to $7.50. Minimum wage for servers is $2.13 an hour, I think, or something about that, because they are expected to make up the difference in tips.

Right now I make $6.90 an hour at EB, which is 40 cents over minimum wage. If I were working fast food - which was my last job - I would be making minimum wage. When I worked at the movie theater I made $6.75 an hour. Wages also are not at all effected by your age either, for the most part.

Can't really try and dispute things like wages with employers, either, as most states in the US are 'at will' - meaning you can be fired on whatever whim your boss thinks up.

Simply put, in the US the pay for retail/fast food/service jobs sucks ass, and it seems the laws care more about protecting the big businesses than the people themselves.

Röland

Mišt
The national minimum wage in the US is $5.15, though what it actually is varies from state to state; in Illinois it is $6.50 right now but will be soon raised to $7.50. Minimum wage for servers is $2.13 an hour, I think, or something about that, because they are expected to make up the difference in tips.

Right now I make $6.90 an hour at EB, which is 40 cents over minimum wage. If I were working fast food - which was my last job - I would be making minimum wage. When I worked at the movie theater I made $6.75 an hour. Wages also are not at all effected by your age either, for the most part.

Can't really try and dispute things like wages with employers, either, as most states in the US are 'at will' - meaning you can be fired on whatever whim your boss thinks up.

Simply put, in the US the pay for retail/fast food/service jobs sucks ass, and it seems the laws care more about protecting the big businesses than the people themselves.

That is maaajorly screwed.

Originally posted by Röland
I don't know where Lana lives, but where I am, you're lucky if you find a job that pays over min. wage. Over here fast food is a very shitty job.

I'm not a waiter but I do deliver for the local pizza place and I make more in tips then I do through a weekly paycheck, so I NEED the tips.

But thats why its called minimum wage, they cant pay you under it or else its illegal What the f**k? Glad I dont live there..

Lana

Röland
And what he means is that most places pay minimum wage and that's it, not a cent over. And then if you're a server you don't even get that, you have a different minimum wage.

Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry to confuse you Mist.

Mišt
And you guys dont have any workers unions or anything? I've got one, basically they nick $5 out of my pay each week and then they go off and do deals and stuff with the businesses for pay rises and stuff, and also protect you if your employer suddenly fires you..

Still cant believe that $2.13........daaamn. I'd make more than that in 10mins sitting around doing nothing..

Lana
Certain places have unions, but most places don't. And unions in general have a pretty bad rap in the US.

Also can't forget that a good portion of paychecks are taken out for taxes. Which especially gets ridiculous when you don't make enough to actually have to pay income taxes. I mean, yeah, I'll get it all back, but I'd really rather have it NOW.

Mišt
Holy shit if you worked full time 5 days a week you'd get less than $100...

Whats your tax rate? I think mine is something like..$10 out of every $100 or so..but they cant take any if you dont make a certain amount...

Destiny_Desire
sup yall?

Lana

Mišt
How much does tipping actually improve your pay rate? Like does it just bring it up to minimum rate standards or do you get extras and so on?

Lana

PandoraMomo

Bardock42
Server's performance. Server's performance.

PandoraMomo
Originally posted by Bardock42
Server's performance. Server's performance.
agreed.
My only problem with some people is that some dont think about tipping, even when they get good service. I'm just poining out that, when deserved, tipping can be a great thing that is greatly appreciated.

BakaXero
agreed.
My only problem with some people is that some dont think about tipping, even when they get good service. I'm just poining out that, when deserved, tipping can be a great thing that is greatly appreciated.
is a dollar ok?

PandoraMomo
Originally posted by BakaXero
is a dollar ok?
depends on how much your order was, how you treated your server, and how they treated you.

BakaXero
depends on how much your order was, how you treated your server, and how they treated you.
aren't we getting complicated here?
usually i just give them my change in church money.

Bardock42
agreed.

I agree. Tipping is a good thing. Makes you all feel good in your tummy too.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.