Obi wan has trained you well !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Ok Vader says this line to luke in all three movies why ?? He hates obi wan but he still talks about him confused

Is it another idea by GL ? roll eyes (sarcastic)

General G
He says it in episode 4? confused

People still talkl about things if they hate them, I hate a lot of things that I still talk about. OB1 didn't even train Luke that much, Yoda did more.

Marxman
Vader didn't know about Yoda. He assumed that Obi-Wan had taught him

Tangible God
All those who hate Bush still talk about him, don't they?

Why wouldn't Vader still mention Obi-Wan when he's facing down his son whom he knows was trained by his old master whom he hasn't seen in 20-some years?

vintageSW77
i think there is a little bit of respect still there for Obi
not because of his faith but great warriors and all that
ive had a beer
clouded my judgement is

coolmovies
He says it in ESB and ROTJ

steverules
lol why did you say all three. Have you seen episode 4?

Sesse
"I've been waiting for you Obi Wan. We meet again at last."

This line was edited from:

"I've been waiting for you, Obi Wan has trained you well. We meet again at last."

queeq
He mever says it in ANH.... he never even meets Luke face-to-face.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by coolmovies
Ok Vader says this line to luke in all three movies why ?? He hates obi wan but he still talks about him confused

Because Vader is impressed with the sudden increase to skill level and handling of the Force Luke shows. He is able to resist the dark side and keep his emotions at bay in Episode VI which Vader finds impressive because he would have never been able to do that when he was Luke's age.

Tangible God
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Because Vader is impressed with the sudden increase to skill level and handling of the Force Luke shows. He is able to resist the dark side and keep his emotions at bay in Episode VI which Vader finds impressive because he would have never been able to do that when he was Luke's age. coolmovies wasn't asking why Vader keeps commenting on his skill, but rather why he keeps mentioning Obi-Wan.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Tangible God
coolmovies wasn't asking why Vader keeps commenting on his skill, but rather why he keeps mentioning Obi-Wan.

Because Anakin was trained by Obi-Wan and he didn't resist the dark side as much as Luke who was also trained by Kenobi. That's my guess.

SpaceMonkey
Wow, what a useless thread. Let's answer this question once and for all and end it.

Vader tells Luke he was well trained by Obi-Wan in Empire and Jedi because he didn't expect Luke to be that powerful in the Force, considering there aren't any Jedi left to train him, as far as he knows. Remember, Vader has NO idea Yoda is still around. He goes on to assume it's been Obi-Wan that has trained him all these years up to the the point Vader kills him on the Death Star in A New Hope. When Vader sees how powerful Luke really is, he HAS to give props to the training he believes Obi-Wan has to have given Luke. Especially considering he thinks of Obi-Wan as a failure.

Hope this helps answer this question. smile

Mr Parker
All those who hate Bush still talk about him, don't they?

very good point. big grin

queeq
laughing out loud

coolmovies
ya thanks alot guys

Blue_Hefner
Originally posted by coolmovies

I'm guessing Vader somehow saw Luke before Luke shot at the door, and Vader assumed Luke came with Obi-Wan.

queeq
Really??????????

Darth Subjekt
I think he was more trying to play to Luke's emotions. Like, OB1 trained you well, let me, your father complete your training, and we'll kick ass from there. He basically said that anyway, but thats why I think he mentioned it. And sesse...what the hell are you talking about? Both those lines imply talking to a completely different person...it wasn't edited from that.

Sesse
ME talks about the truth! Me talks about the gorge lucus!

Darth Subjekt
no expression wow

queeq
Who is Gorge Lucus?

Sesse
hmmm... Now that was elegant. embarrasment

queeq
Indeed.

RichardD
Also remember that Darth Vader/Anakin was dissatisfied with his own training by Obi Wan. It's almost as if he's saying Obi Wan has trained you (Luke) well, why the hell couldn't he have done that for me?!?

SpaceMonkey
Good point.

queeq
No, it isn't. In ROTS he thanked him for his training.

SpaceMonkey
Yeah, and then he left the entire Jedi code behind. I see what you're saying, Queeq. I just think he felt that way before he turned, afterwards every feeling he had for Obi-Wan, including that of how he was trained, was gone. Remember, Obi-Wan says to Anakin, "I have failed you, Anakin.", and Vader says to Luke, "Now his failure is complete.". I see a connection there.

queeq
Yeah, well, I think the entire Jedi order failed in Anakin's training. I am just not convinced by the PT OB1 could have done better, or anyone for that matter. No one ever handled such a case, so old and so gifted a padawan.

SpaceMonkey
Very true.

queeq
So OB1 FEELS guilty, doesn't mean he was. GL always said Anakin CHOSE his path.

SpaceMonkey
Guilt is a feeling. If he fells guilty it means he was guilty. Honestly, Obi_wan was not prepared to do any of that stuff. He was granted the rank of Jedi Master because he defeated a Sith.... no one knows that he got lucky. Who's to say he told the Council the truth: "Umm, I got my a** kicked by the Sith Lord, but he was arrogant and I saw a chance to use some trickery and catch him off guard... lucky for me I guess, ha ha.". He was never ready to train Anakin, he did it at the behest of Qui-Gon, that was the real tragedy of the prequels, that Qui-Gon's death was what thrust Obi-Wan into a position he wasn't ready for.

SpaceMonkey
Sorry, repost.

Tangible God
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Guilt is a feeling. If he fells guilty it means he was guilty. Honestly, Obi_wan was not prepared to do any of that stuff. He was granted the rank of Jedi Master because he defeated a Sith.... no one knows that he got lucky. Who's to say he told the Council the truth: "Umm, I got my a** kicked by the Sith Lord, but he was arrogant and I saw a chance to use some trickery and catch him off guard... lucky for me I guess, ha ha.". He was never ready to train Anakin, he did it at the behest of Qui-Gon, that was the real tragedy of the prequels, that Qui-Gon's death was what thrust Obi-Wan into a position he wasn't ready for. I once felt guilty because I thought I lost my friend's car keys at a bar, but then it turned out they were in my back pocket. I felt guilty but that doesn't mean I was guilty.

SpaceMonkey
Well played, Tangible God!! However, Obi-Wan never found the keyes he lost... he always lived with the guilt... and Vader never got his keyes back.

Tangible God
The truth of the matter is, Obi-Wan didn't lose Anakin's keys in the first place. Palpatine stole them, and said Obi-Wan lost them. Even by ROTJ, Palpatine snuck off Coruscant late at night to go cruising in Anakin's old BMW Starfighter, which Vader still kept in top shape, just hoping that one day, the ghost of Obi-Wan might return his keys.

That's why he keeps mentioning Obi-Wan to Luke. He was hoping Obi-Wan had handed the keys down to him during his training.

Marxman
Dumb ass should had an extra set for those kinds of situations. Its his own fault, nobody else's.

queeq
So tell me then: what exactly did OB1 do wrong from what we know from AOTC and ROTS?

RichardD
I don't think that Obi did do anything wrong with his training of Anakin. Anakin was just not a strong enough character to resist the temptations of the dark side. Luke, on the other hand, was.

Anakin felt dissatisfied because he wanted more glory and power. Obi and the rest of the jedi weren't going to give it to him.

Obi felt guilty because he felt responsible for Anakin in the same way a father feels responsible for a child. But sometimes the child does stupid things, and it's not the fault of the parent.

queeq
Exactly. I agree.

Luke should be the chosen one, and he is for me.

SpaceMonkey
The truth of the matter is, Obi-Wan didn't lose Anakin's keys in the first place. Palpatine stole them, and said Obi-Wan lost them. Even by ROTJ, Palpatine snuck off Coruscant late at night to go cruising in Anakin's old BMW Starfighter, which Vader still kept in top shape, just hoping that one day, the ghost of Obi-Wan might return his keys.

That's why he keeps mentioning Obi-Wan to Luke. He was hoping Obi-Wan had handed the keys down to him during his training.

LOL!! laughing

queeq
The Keymaster.

Rampant ox
Originally posted by queeq
Luke should be the chosen one, and he is for me.

But there wouldnt be a Luke if it wasnt for Anakin and the lack of condoms in the SW Universe. stick out tongue

queeq
So? Is a SW chosen one not allowed to have a dad?

Rampant ox
Anakin didnt.

Tangible God
But he ain't the Chosen One.

SpaceMonkey
Anakin was carrying the chosen one.... down there... for over 20 years. So it COULD have been Luke that was being detected all that time, hypothetically. I must meditate on this. sleep

queeq
It;s just my fantasy and personal preference. I know Anakin is the chosen one, but he's a poor saviour. In his good days he was a whining brat, and he could only turn after seeing his son resist the dark side. So yeah.... I'd have preferred no chosen-one sh!t in SW, but Luke seems to fit the picture better. IMHO OC.

SpaceMonkey
Agreed smile

queeq
Wow... good.

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by queeq
It;s just my fantasy and personal preference. I know Anakin is the chosen one, but he's a poor saviour. In his good days he was a whining brat, and he could only turn after seeing his son resist the dark side. So yeah.... I'd have preferred no chosen-one sh!t in SW, but Luke seems to fit the picture better. IMHO OC.

I guess not all messiahs save a golden age from a dark age. Anakin still did what was prophesied. He just did it without candy and ice-cream falling from the sky.

Marxman
Originally posted by Rampant ox
Anakin didnt. PLAGUEIS!!!

Marxman
Sorry I kind of shouted that without fully explaining. Darth Plagueis is the father of Anakin Skywalker. big grin

queeq
Originally posted by Phoenix2001
I guess not all messiahs save a golden age from a dark age. Anakin still did what was prophesied. He just did it without candy and ice-cream falling from the sky.

he kinda undid what he partly caused himself after 20 years...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.