The Descent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Röland
With the release of The Descent on DVD in a few days I have a question.

If you've seen it is it worth buying when it comes out or should I just rent it?

Leathergien
buy it!! it is a great movie!!

i enjoyed it !!

BackFire
Yep, buying it for sure, outstanding film.

Röland
Alright sounds good, I think I'll buy it.

Thanks for the help. smile

deathbycorn
If you enjoy listening to whinging pommy bitches accents, go ahead.

Wolfie
Definitely worth buying.

DraconianDevil
Don't buy it, rent it 1st and see if you like it. I didn't like it, but you should rent it first.

drewbiefan
scary big grin?

Solo
It's rental worthy, that's about it.

BackFire
I just watched it again today, the DVD has the original ending, which is much better than the generic "Americanized" ending we got over here, actually kinda ties things together and adds a level of coherency to the flashbacks with the birthday cake.

Man, such an outstanding movie.

Wolfie
Yeah, when I heard that they cut the ending back, I knew right away that it would be promoting the "unrated DVD with an all-new alternate ending that you couldn't see in theaters!"

The UK ending is great. The US ending was just a stupid jump scare that left me going "WTF?"

MildPossession
Only two of the women are British...

Yes buy it on dvd, fabulous film.

Zilverz
THe UK ending had better flow with the film, but i enjoyed the American ending better.

BUY the DVD i will be

BackFire
Eh, the American ending was very cliche. Though it suggested something completely different from the original. One of the few times the alternate endings actually changes the entire notion suggested in the film.

Either way, the movie's astounding and a must own for any horror fan.

deathbycorn
This is one of them movies that everyone jumps on the bandwagon about.

If someone who people regard as knowing abit about horror says this was a great movie, the followers join in and say it's a great movie.

Same goes with movies like the TCM remake, someone hates it so everyone else does.

I don't say a movie is good because everyone else does, I have my own opinions.

SelphieT
Well, I see the overall reviews as good, so I think I'll give it a chance and rent it! wink

Zilverz
Originally posted by deathbycorn
This is one of them movies that everyone jumps on the bandwagon about.

If someone who people regard as knowing abit about horror says this was a great movie, the followers join in and say it's a great movie.

Same goes with movies like the TCM remake, someone hates it so everyone else does.

I don't say a movie is good because everyone else does, I have my own opinions.

you are the only one here that doesnt like it ... there is no bandwagon

deathbycorn
If Backfire likes a movie, every single person on this horror board likes it.

BANDWAGON.

Solo
I'll agree that it's pretty overrated, but it's good nonetheless.

BackFire

BANDWAGON.

And what about the millions of other people who are praising the movie and don't frequent this board?

I mean, I'd love to think that my opinion is that influential, but obviously it's not. People like this movie because it's very good, well made, and intense, precisely what a horror film should be. A very nice break from the Saw-esque rippoffs and half-assed gorefests going around right now.

Röland

BANDWAGON.

I havn't been on KMC for that long but from what I've seen, Backfire knows his horror movies and he knows what's good.

I am a big fan of creature movies, a type of horror movie that has been forgotten it seems. So EVEN if Backfire said "This movie sucks and shouldn't even be rented." I would probably still buy it.

I was looking for opinions on whether I should just outright buy it or rent if first.

deathbycorn
Originally posted by BackFire
And what about the millions of other people who are praising the movie and don't frequent this board?

I mean, I'd love to think that my opinion is that influential, but obviously it's not. People like this movie because it's very good, well made, and intense, precisely what a horror film should be. A very nice break from the Saw-esque rippoffs and half-assed gorefests going around right now.
I'll have to watch it again I've missed something... I grabbed a dvd rip when it first came out in November 2005 on R2 DVD so I'll watch it tonight.

I really think this movie is over rated and is popular because of Marshall's first film, Dog Soldiers.

deathbycorn
The thing that really annoyed me was the SMEEGALS hahaha what kind of a creature is a Lord of the Rings lookalike stick out tongue

BackFire
The only time they looked like him was when she first sees that one in the room for the first time. Once we see them in detail they have little in common.

dirkdirden
Good movie I liked it. Made me screm out loud like a girl.

LORDSIDIOUS01
I love The Descent. Shauna Macdonald is very gorgeous and a very talented actress. I look forward to the sequel/ You should buy the DVD like I'm going to.

Wolfie
I was pissed today that the Wal-Mart bonus disc only came with the full screen edition DVD. But then I went to Best Buy and they have a bonus disc that came with the widescreen. smile

From what I understand (having not seen either disc yet) the Wal-Mart disc has an interview with Neil Marshall on why the movie is an all-women cast. The Best Buy disc is apparently some behind-the-scenes stuff on the effects.

deathbycorn
>

deathbycorn
Ok I watched it again last night.

I still have some problems with it, but I do take my comment back, it was a good movie.

Problems = Couldn't make out what was happening most of the time, cave dwellers sounded like Predator.

But one part scared the living crap out of me, when the cave dweller is standing behind one of the girls when the other girl has the infared camera on - it was a VERY frightning scene. The scene where it attacks them first. Great horror film making there. I'd forgot about that scene and I was watching it alone in pitch black... not good for the heart laughing out loud

dirkdirden

I still have some problems with it, but I do take my comment back, it was a good movie.

Problems = Couldn't make out what was happening most of the time, cave dwellers sounded like Predator.

But one part scared the living crap out of me, when the cave dweller is standing behind one of the girls when the other girl has the infared camera on - it was a VERY frightning scene. The scene where it attacks them first. Great horror film making there. I'd forgot about that scene and I was watching it alone in pitch black... not good for the heart laughing out loud

Watching it the movie theater was great. made me scream like a girl on that part. The movie does a great job with the build up to the suspence it doesn't just give it to you it makes you wait for it.

MildPossession
That was the first time they saw the 'creatures', when filming that scene, they hadn't been introduced to them in the work shops apparently lol.

DraconianDevil

Now whos on the bandwagon wink lol

Zilverz
Purchased the Uncut DVD and watched it tonight with friends. My buddies wife sceamed like 3 times it was great .. and my buddy was hiding under the covers haha ... they both reported to be a little bit clausterphobic during the viewing

Great film

SnakeEyes
Just watched this last night.

My big complaint was that it took a while to get going.

I thought the last 30-40 minutes were great, but up until then, it seemed somewhat slow.

I'd say this was an average film. Nothing special, but not bad either.

BackFire
The slowness of the beginning was a great build-up of suspense and a creation of the atmosphere. I loved the slow "Descent" into harsh, visceral horror.

Solo
I thought it was great that they took their time.

allofyousuckkk
i didnt like the ending, uk or us. They were both kinda dumb

otherwise, it was good

not worth my money though, i wont watch it more than once

roughrider
How does the ending(s) work on the DVD?
It says it's uncut. Does that mean they include the last two minutes of the end from the UK version, or is that just included as a deleted scene?

How the film ends, would seem to point the direction for the sequel that's currently being made. Were the creatures real, or just a part of Sarah's disintegrating mental state?

Espantada23
I rented the uncut version....so it was the ending where when she gets out of the cave it ends up being just a dream while she's passed out ...that ending I didn't much care for ...but i thought the movie was awesome.

roughrider
Even with the original ending, I suppose the film could be read different ways, because we never see Sarah's death. She is suffering from waking dreams and hallucinations throughout the film. The last sequence could be a dream too; maybe she did get out. And maybe the sequel opens with her in an asylum somewhere, still thinking she's in the cave with her daughter.

The reason I want her to live is, it's not fair to put us through hell with her - death of her family in the accident, finding out her dead husband's infidelity with her 'friend' Juno, then behind tracked as prey by the dwellers - just so she would die in the end. What would be the point of it all?
It would be like Ripley getting killed at the end of ALIEN.

Zilverz
jezz how long have you last two been on this forum ? USE SPOILER TAGS next time... dont be a loser

The Uncut DVD is exactly that UNCUT so it is the original UK ending

Here is my take:

There is no way the monsters are a hallucination. Overwhelming evidence in the film

The US ending can be interpreted as she needs to increase her dosages of anti-psychotics when she makes it back into town. Obviously she will indefinately have her psyche damaged from the climatic events in her life

The UK ending: Beth told Sara she had to "find her own way out" and in a way.. she did

Röland
I bought this the other night and I must say it was a superb film.

One of the newer horror movies that actually made me jump. yes

Out of both the endings I liked the

UK ending where she DOESN'T escape the cave and is consumed mentally by darkness.

Wolfie

Zilverz
Originally posted by Wolfie
I don't think anyone liked the US ending.

I did ..

i wanted out of that cave system bad .. and was satisfied with her escaping and just being tramatized

Wolfie
You even liked how Juno appeared as a ghost or whatever to end the movie at a cheap jump scare?

I don't mind them getting out or dying in there. The US ending just cut it before it needed to be cut. The last minute or so was an important closure to the birthday cake visions.

Röland
You even liked how Juno appeared as a ghost or whatever to end the movie at a cheap jump scare?

I don't mind them getting out or dying in there. The US ending just cut it before it needed to be cut. The last minute or so was an important closure to the birthday cake visions.

I didn't get the birthday cake visions right away but I think I get it now.

Let me know if this is what it means.

She was supposed to celebrate her daughters birthday but didn't get to because of the accident. So the UK ending just shows us that she did get to celebrate her daughters birthday even though it is just in her mind?

roughrider
Originally posted by Zilverz
jezz how long have you last two been on this forum ? USE SPOILER TAGS next time... dont be a loser

The Uncut DVD is exactly that UNCUT so it is the original UK ending

Here is my take:

There is no way the monsters are a hallucination. Overwhelming evidence in the film

The US ending can be interpreted as she needs to increase her dosages of anti-psychotics when she makes it back into town. Obviously she will indefinately have her psyche damaged from the climatic events in her life

The UK ending: Beth told Sara she had to "find her own way out" and in a way.. she did

I've been on this site for a long time. Go F**k Yourself.
This is a place to discuss the film openly. I deliberately didn't read any specific reviews or any threads here, before I saw it. miffed

People here have talked openly about the two endings for months now. You get heavy on using spoiler tags before a release, not forever after it's out.

Zilverz
Originally posted by roughrider
I've been on this site for a long time. Go F**k Yourself.
This is a place to discuss the film openly. I deliberately didn't read any specific reviews or any threads here, before I saw it. miffed

People here have talked openly about the two endings for months now. You get heavy on using spoiler tags before a release, not forever after it's out.

so because you been on this site a long time that means you can spoil movies??? Its not like the movie has been released for years and years it just hit DVD this week .. many people havent seen it ..

its pretty simple. if you can just train your brain to be as quick to quote a spoiler as you are to cuss someone asking you to show some respect i think well be straight

Zilverz

Her Daughter and Husband killed, off her anti-psychotics, went into an environment that actually provokes hallucinating behavior on its own, has to kill her 2 best friends one of which was sleeping with her husband and indirectly caused there deaths and some new species of creatures is trying to eat her alive .. id say it was more of a horrored image/hallucination she now had than any type of ghost .. i dont like jump scenes .. but they had to get it across that she was freaking out.

I didnt make anything of the birthday cake. Was the little girls birthday soon? Had it already passed ? I dont know those details but from watching it twice i hadnt really noticed anything substantial from it other than she misses her little girl. If you an impression from it i would like to hear it

roughrider
Originally posted by Zilverz
so because you been on this site a long time that means you can spoil movies??? Its not like the movie has been released for years and years it just hit DVD this week .. many people havent seen it ..

its pretty simple. if you can just train your brain to be as quick to quote a spoiler as you are to cuss someone asking you to show some respect i think well be straight

You haven't earned my respect yet, starting off with insults in your first response.

The Core
Just use spoiler tags next time, and stop bitching. Not that big of a deal.

I watched it this afternoon, and thought it was decent. The setting was solid, as was the acting, but it seemed like the story couldn't make up its mind which way to go, suggesting 2 different directions, and selling neither in the end.

As a Horror movie, it would have been better without the psychosis. I would have been happy with "Alien" meets "Deliverance" in a cave. As a psychological thriller, which it leaned more towards,(and served continuity correctly) we could have done without the creatures, which were never that menacing.

boomshakalaka
I didnt like the Descent.
it was all a big blur to me. which is why I am happy I didnt even rent it, someone else brought it over.

Zilverz
Originally posted by boomshakalaka
I didnt like the Descent.
it was all a big blur to me. which is why I am happy I didnt even rent it, someone else brought it over.

maybe keep your BAC below .08 next time

LORDSIDIOUS01
I loved The Descent. I am going to buy the unrated cut tomorrow. Everyone should go out a buy such a great movie.

Caribbean_Chick
I do agree that they really didn't seem to know where they wanted to go with the movie, but it was pretty jumpy and suspenseful nontheless. I definitely liked the UK ending better, though I haven't seen the US ending I don't think, but it doesn't sound that great. I thought the creatures were pretty good as well

LORDSIDIOUS01
STILL A GREAT MOVIE.

Yuna_And_Tidus
My Mother told my cousin Shannon rented this film and watched it and couldn't sleep! I don't know what type of genre of movie she is into so I don't know if this really was scary, or if it's just not her thing.

I'm all abour horror/suspense though and I Love being scared, though nothing really scares me, so I'd definately like to see this movie!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Great horror film. Don't know how to use Spoiler tags.

Yuna_And_Tidus
with no spaces.

LORDSIDIOUS01
OK

roughrider
OK, THIS IS IN REGARDS TO THE ENDING(S). DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM...

I watched it again last night, and I am convinced Sarah got out at the end. When she falls and gets knocked out in the climax, the chamber she lands in already has some glowing daylight at the side - slow down the DVD; you can see it there already just before she lands. It gets a little brighter as she awakens and crawls out of the hole.
When she has the false start in the car and sees Juno's ghost, and seemingly awakes back in the cave, the chamber is different from the one she landed in - no daylight around, no bones.
So, I think the answer is she physically escapes the cave, but her mind is trapped down there because her psyche has devolved into something so primal - her own 'descent' - and she's crazy now. It keeps in pattern with the waking dreams and hallucinations she suffered, since the accident at the beginning.

soin2cal
omg this is the most boring thrilling movie i have ever seen! It wasnt even a proper horror movie.

LORDSIDIOUS01
OK, THIS IS IN REGARDS TO THE ENDING(S). DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM...

I watched it again last night, and I am convinced Sarah got out at the end. When she falls and gets knocked out in the climax, the chamber she lands in already has some glowing daylight at the side - slow down the DVD; you can see it there already just before she lands. It gets a little brighter as she awakens and crawls out of the hole.
When she has the false start in the car and sees Juno's ghost, and seemingly awakes back in the cave, the chamber is different from the one she landed in - no daylight around, no bones.
So, I think the answer is she physically escapes the cave, but her mind is trapped down there because her psyche has devolved into something so primal - her own 'descent' - and she's crazy now. It keeps in pattern with the waking dreams and hallucinations she suffered, since the accident at the beginning.

I loved The Descent and I agree with you.

Röland
Originally posted by soin2cal
omg this is the most boring thrilling movie i have ever seen! It wasnt even a proper horror movie.

What do you define as a "proper" horror movie then? laughing out loud

Vinny Valentine
This is a horror film.

roughrider
Originally posted by soin2cal

How much more blood & shock moments do you need? blink

It just happens to be a great film as well, not just an effective piece of terror.

DeNiro
Yep, buying it for sure, outstanding film.

Ive been thinking about renting this movie for weeks but thought it was going to be a dumb movie but now i have to go rent it. i thought that feast was going to be a dumb horor flick also but i liked that movie alot

jason maddox
The Decent was by far the best horror movie I've seen in a long time, I loved the story and they actually made it somewhat scary with the whole being trapped and hunted scenario.

Evil Dead
for the record........I enjoyed the movie, I bought the dvd...........but only because BackFire liked it.

BackFire
How strange, I only liked it because you liked it.

....Twilight Zone?

DeNiro
you guys want some time alone big grin

Evil Dead
the question is, would you like a bit of alone time with both of us?

DeNiro
yes

also in regards to the movie the decent i just watched it and i wish i could get my ****in 2 hours back cause that movie sucked

SelphieT
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with the ending....but nonetheless, an outstanding movie. I loved it.

I'm so glad Juno got what she deserved.

Discos
this movie, is to the date, the only movie that this has happened to me....I loved this movie in the cinema, but once I bought it on DVD I just found it boring and stupid.

It also was the first time I wished in a horror movie that they didn't do what they did, go cave tunneling or whatever. Thats something I would never do - I know thats what all Horror movies are about but I would definatly rather sleep in Michael Myers bedroom than go through a mountain.

SelphieT
Yeah, the whole claustrophobia thing really got to me. I'm not claustrophobic, but when you're trapped in a cave......who isn't?

I didn't see it in theaters, but I bet it was a million times better there too. But I saw it on DVD, and still liked it a lot.

Wolfie
Originally posted by SelphieT
I have to admit, I was a little disappointed with the ending....but nonetheless, an outstanding movie. I loved it.

I'm so glad Juno got what she deserved.
Which ending did you watch? The US ending (rated DVD) was very disappointing. The original ending (unrated DVD) was good, IMO.

Discos
erm....asian looking woman gets killed by the main star female, main star female falls through into another room....dreams she escapes but wakes up in the cave - fades to black and ends.

SelphieT
Originally posted by Discos
erm....asian looking woman gets killed by the main star female, main star female falls through into another room....dreams she escapes but wakes up in the cave - fades to black and ends.

Yeah, thats the lame one I saw. Is there a better ending? Whats the other ending like? What happens?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I loved The Descent. Shauna was very good. BTW. She was born in Malaysia, but raised in Scotland. The other one is english.

Röland
Originally posted by SelphieT
Yeah, thats the lame one I saw. Is there a better ending? Whats the other ending like? What happens?

If you think that ending is lame, you'll think the US ending is even lamer.

I thought the US ending was just typical "end on a scare" technique while the UK ending was fitting for the movie.

MildPossession
I thought the ending was fine in the English version.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I liked both endings.

Qapla.

DanZeke25
This movie sucked f*cking balls, along with basically every single recent horror movie released.

roughrider
Originally posted by DanZeke25
This movie sucked f*cking balls, along with basically every single recent horror movie released.

So, what to you is a good horror film; and that also happens to be a good film?

DanZeke25
So, what to you is a good horror film; and that also happens to be a good film?

I really couldn't tell you that, because IMO Horror in general movies just aren't good. The object of a horror movie is to scare you, and if it doesn't do that then it most likely sucks because the story/plot is nothing good.

The only horror movies I enjoyed were Halloween, and the Saw franchise. But I consider Saw to be a thriller.

SkinWalker
I just watched this for the first time and it was fantastic. I was really reading into the film before I saw it and heard that there was this scene where you first saw the crawlers and I heard it was so creepy and all that stuff. Then I saw that part and wasn't impressed, I then thought that it was going to turn really stupid. Alas, though, I was wrong. The crawler appeared from the camera light and I freaked out, a very strong horror movie moment. Great film.

tylerTOXICITY
^ Agreed.
Great movie for sure, I bought it i'm proud.
Lol, ive had it for a while, i watch it all the time, Although, I also watch my NOES collection friday collection Chucky collection all the itme big grin

Great movie, US ending very american.
UK and NZ ending, effing amazing.

MildPossession
Saw series, ha ha.

Anyway, there are two sequels on the way for this film, unfortunately.

tylerTOXICITY
Unfortunatly?
lol.
A second decent?

pretty ame i'd say.
They should've just left you, Thinking WTF.
And i still think they should come back with another VS. movie.

Röland
Originally posted by MildPossession
Saw series, ha ha.

This dissapoints me because there is no need for any sequel or prequel to this movie.

BruceSkywalker
Saw series, ha ha.

I look forward to seeing the sequel.

SkinWalker
I would see it. The problem is though, despite the summary they have on IMDB for it sounding interesting, Neil Marshall(who doesn't want to direct, just be apart of it) said it won't be a rehashing of the first one. Which, I don't really see how it can't be.

MildPossession
It's following on from the American version apparently, so it will be lost on British audiences unless they do something...

BackFire
Sequel is unnecessary.

SkinWalker
It's following on from the American version apparently, so it will be lost on British audiences unless they do something...

Well yeah, but it might not make sense because most of the DVDs of it have put both endings togethers. I originally saw the american ending, but my copy just has the two endings put together.

Anyway, I'm actually interested in where they will take it having left off from the first. They say in the only known summary that they will find an unexpected survivor. That can only be Juno I think, any other survivor would be unethical considering you saw them all really die. How long will it take for them to go back though, will a be a day or two, or will it be weeks and will she be some cliched old hermit.

It also talks about how they had Sarah go back down with them to the cave, which would do hell to her pysche, but would they just go and kill some and bring them back, explore their territory, or try to cause extinction.

MildPossession
I agree with Backfire.

BackFire
And I agree with you that it's pure dumbassery to make the sequel following the inferior American ending. Boy, this already has the makings of a disaster.

Wolfie
The Descent is perfectly fine without a sequel. And if it plays off the "American ending" (is it really even an ending? America just cut the movie short), it's even more pointless. As far as I'm concerned, the American ending doesn't exist.

Röland
The Descent is perfectly fine without a sequel. And if it plays off the "American ending" (is it really even an ending? America just cut the movie short), it's even more pointless. As far as I'm concerned, the American ending doesn't exist.
I agree with everything you just said Wolfie.

BruceSkywalker
I look forward to the sequel. It'll be interesting to see how its done.

Röland
Sequel News

The Descent 2 / The De2cent

------------------------------

Picking up from where the last movie left off, Sarah (Shauna Macdonald) escapes the cave and seeks refuge at a local gas station, where she collapses and is rushed to a local hospital. Not being able to speak because of the horrific events that have mentally scarred her, a search and rescue team take Sarah back to where the horrible events happened to find any possible answers and survivors. However, whilst down in the cave...things don't go to plan as the group fight for their lives against the crawlers and find an unexpected survivor from the last film.

------------------------------

Reminds me a lot of Aliens. This could be awesome if it's done right. I mean Aliens wasn't really a needed sequel but it turned out to be better than the original.

BackFire
Lame.

Raoul

Selphie
Juno? I guess it would make sense if it was her, but I'd prefer not......

MildPossession
All of the main cast are back in the sequel, in flashbacks.

Better than the original? don't make me laugh.

Raoul
Originally posted by Selphie

thats her. uhuh

Röland
Originally posted by Selphie
That would be the only real choice I could see. We technically didn't see Juno die but I like to stick to the UK ending where Sarah never actually made it out of the cave system. I don't think this sequel could top the first one but if it's done well, which it probably won't be, it could be good.
Better than the original? don't make me laugh.
I was referring to Aliens being better than Alien. Just my opinion.

MildPossession
I just assumed you meant The Descent II will go the same way too.

Röland
I just assumed you meant The Descent II will go the same way too.
Sorry bout that, I should have worded it better. erm

Unless the Descent 2 is flawless, I would never think that it will/is going to be better than the first one. I really didn't want this sequel to come out but I'm not going to trash it till I see if it's a worthy sequel.

MildPossession
There is a video on youtube about the studio they are filming in, has some behind the scenes footage of the sequel. Lost the link but it should be easy enough to find on there.

Selphie
I saw some behind the scene footage from the first movie, and it looked like all the crew had a really fun time working on the movie, which I think is great. Might as well have fun with something you're working on!

K.Diddy
smokin' Just bumped this thread because now the sequel is out,I guess it's time too see the first,Yes,I haven't seen it yet,So I will be posting a review soon.

smokin' Peace out

BackFire
The sequel is absolute shit, has one of the most idiotic endings I've ever seen, stay away.

The original, however, is a masterpiece.

K.Diddy
The sequel is absolute shit, has one of the most idiotic endings I've ever seen, stay away.

The original, however, is a masterpiece.

smile Thanks for the advice but I will see the sequel anyway,mainly because I am one of them people that no matter how much I hear a sequel to a movie sucks,I cant resist not seeing it.

MildPossession
The sequel is nothing special but not the worst horror out there, has some decent scenes, the ending is however idiotic.

The first film is fantastic though, and British. smile

jennifermoss

RedRum666
Yeah, I really enjoyed the original movie for it's originality. I'll want to see the sequel eventually, even if I wait for it to show up on cable.

daniel111
It really makes one feel horror who will watch it for the first time.Both parts 1 &2 are good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.