another musician/celebrity, another cause....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KharmaDog
Recently Jimmy Buffet commented that his line of restaurants are now boycotting Canadian seafood because of the seal hunt.

I wonder Mr. Buffet is aware of the current overpopulation of harp seals on the eastern coast of Canada and the damage that they are inflicting on the fishery in conjunction with the many international fleets off our banks? I was also wondering if he considered that if more people take part in the boycott, it will destroy an already fragile east coast economy were many people already live close to the poverty line and depend on eco-related opportunities to make ends meet.

I also wonder as to Mr. Buffet's education on this issue. To speak out and act as he has, I sure hope he has looked closely at the problem and the economic and environmental negatives that would harm the eastern fishery and environment if this hunt were to totally cease.

Taking a stand is admirable. Taking an uneducated stand that ill affects the economy, a good percentage of the population and the environmental balance of an entire region is both irresponsible, and rather ignorant.

Perhaps instead of enacting a boycott, Mr. Buffet could have offered some suggestions as to how to both control an out of control population of animals, and how to put food on the tables of the families on the east coast who rely on the seal hunt to make it through the year. Or perhaps, he could have just shut his cake-hole and continued to make money off an already overharvested sea with his chain of seafood restaurants.

My point basically is, is anyone else sick of these morons speaking out about issues that they really have no grasp on?

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by KharmaDog
My point basically is, is anyone else sick of these morons speaking out about issues that they really have no grasp on?

I'm of two minds about this issue. One the one hand, they feel they have the right to speak out for or against any number of issues as a matter of some civic duty. But we validate their behavior by paying them any attention.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
I'm of two minds about this issue. One the one hand, they feel they have the right to speak out for or against any number of issues as a matter of some civic duty. But we validate their behavior by paying them any attention.

I have no problem with people speaking out, and I understand how one could want to use their celebrity status to make a point. It just seems that so often these people have their heads so far up their own asses that they have no idea what they are talking about and even less regard for the responsibility or consequences of their actions.

BackFire
The only Buffet I'm interested in is Hometown Buffet.

Soleran

Does it really matter, he doesn't like it and he owns the business. There we go...........

KharmaDog
Originally posted by Soleran
Does it really matter, he doesn't like it and he owns the business. There we go...........

Unfortunately, his opinion matters to many, and that affects the lives of others.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
*posts apathetically*

ToMacco
I find it best to simply roll my eyes and change the channel when I hear famous people speaking out.

PVS
he's been spending too much time in margaritaville

ToMacco
me too. . . beer

PVS
have you found your lost shaker of salt?

ToMacco
Yeah, it was at the bottom of my beer. *I'm a stupid drunken bastard*

debbiejo
Originally posted by ToMacco
Yeah, it was at the bottom of my beer. *I'm a stupid drunken bastard* What's it doing in a beer? blink

ToMacco
I dropped it, dammit.

Soleran
Unfortunately, his opinion matters to many, and that affects the lives of others.

So stop killing seals and do as he asks to save the economy.

Which I realize is a double edged sword but none the less.

Fishy
Over simplification of issues seems to be the current trend, even in politics... Stupid idiots almost never realize something just isn't that black and white.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.