Ebonics

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Moisey
I cannot find a article about it. But, I've heard that they made Ebonics a seperate language. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. What are your point of views?

Soleran
Originally posted by Moisey
I cannot find a article about it. But, I've heard that they made Ebonics a seperate language. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. What are your point of views?

Yackum Smackum, I also speak jive, this is so cool.

Lord Urizen
YO I DOESN'T NOT APREESHATE DIS KINDA STEREOTIPPING OF MA PEEPS N*GGA

Victor Von Doom

Did you wonder why you couldn't find an article?

What exactly were you finding ridiculous?

Emperor Ashtar
"It's just a dialect, that I select when I hang"
-Special Ed

Moisey
That they made Ebonics a language.

Victor Von Doom
That they are making Ebonics a language.

Yes, we established this.

Why?

Emperor Ashtar
It could become a language, I guess.

Soleran
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
YO I DOESN'T NOT APREESHATE DIS KINDA STEREOTIPPING OF MA PEEPS N*GGA

West Side, fo realz

chris_64256
I cannot find a article about it. But, I've heard that they made Ebonics a seperate language. I think it's absolutely ridiculous. What are your point of views? If this is true the world should be destroyed. But now that I think about it Standards have been lowered so much in this country threw schools, buisness and the social coulture I don't find it shocking. Besides pretty soon speaking English in this country is already being slowly done away and spanish being close to a mandatory course in schools now.

BackFire
Time to make 1337 5834k (leet speak) a language too.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by chris_64256
If this is true the world should be destroyed. But now that I think about it Standards have been lowered so much in this country threw schools, buisness and the social coulture I don't find it shocking. Besides pretty soon speaking English in this country is already being slowly done away and spanish being close to a mandatory course in schools now.

Do you mind if I borrow this post? I'm up to 'irony' in my rewriting of the dictionary, and I need an example.

chris_64256
Why not.

Grinning Goku
Threw does not = through.

debbiejo
They tried to develop classes here in the Detroit area school system.........It was stuck down........

darthsecretus30
You people make me sick ... unreal

Naz
Originally posted by debbiejo
They tried to develop classes here in the Detroit area school system.........It was stuck down........

So, since you don't have classes, what do you do all day? Sit out in the playground and eat lunch?

Eclipso
I could major in that.

Strangelove
Ebonics is a stain on the English language. It's a repugnant wanna-be sub-dialect that doesn't deserve its own popularity. Used only by black youth that long ago threw away their potential for success, idiot white people who for some reason want to emulate them, and for biting ridicule of the society that allowed this abomination to flower.

grey fox
Originally posted by BackFire

7h47 w05#P b3 $3v3r4# |{1nP$ 0 4w3$0m3.

Alfheim

Its a load of PC crap.

Strangelove
Originally posted by grey fox
7h47 w05#P b3 $3v3r4# |{1nP$ 0 4w3$0m3. c0u|d /\/07 u/\//\/3|257a/\/d 4 \/\/0|2d 0f 747 blink

debbiejo
I believe they may have wanted to institute it in the schools so others could understand what it/they mean(s)............Cause I have no clue when they talk..........I just have to point at the menu, and say I'll take the number 3 please... blink

Victor Von Doom
I believe they may have wanted to institute it in the schools so others could understand what it/they mean(s)............Cause I have no clue when they talk..........I just have to point at the menu, and say I'll take the number 3 please... blink

That's how I feel when you post, you silly, silly illiterate person.

Does someone actually have a source for this?

Or is everybody just going to start foaming at the mouth because of something someone heard, which even if true, would not affect them personally?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Strangelove
Ebonics is a stain on the English language. It's a repugnant wanna-be sub-dialect that doesn't deserve its own popularity. Used only by black youth that long ago threw away their potential for success, idiot white people who for some reason want to emulate them, and for biting ridicule of the society that allowed this abomination to flower.

^ That sounded like a racist's rant.

Ebonics is just another variant of the English language, just like any other accent or dialect. It's by no means an "abomination".

Bardock42
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

Ebonics is just another variant of the English language, just like any other accent or dialect. It's by no means an "abomination".

I agree and I would have said something if I weren't white and would find ebonics to be an abomination.

Quiero Mota
What do you mean?

Bardock42
What do you mean?

was making a joke. Started out all liberal and open minded then changed to bigoted and ignorant. I enjoyed it.

lil bitchiness

Yes, i concur!!

grey fox
c0u|d /\/07 u/\//\/3|257a/\/d 4 \/\/0|2d 0f 747 blink

70 b4D Ph0r J00 7h3N

darthsecretus30
Originally posted by Bardock42
was making a joke. Started out all liberal and open minded then changed to bigoted and ignorant. I enjoyed it.

To be honest, I think you need to leave your house for a day or 2. You and your 37700 posts are a tad bit sad... I'm sure theres a special girl or guy out there for you. But since your such a sarcastic bastard, I really don't care. We all know you wish you were black ...

Bardock42
Originally posted by darthsecretus30
To be honest, I think you need to leave your house for a day or 2. You and your 37700 posts are a tad bit sad... I'm sure theres a special girl or guy out there for you. But since your such a sarcastic bastard, I really don't care. We all know you wish you were black ... Well, there are pros and cons to being black.

Rogue Jedi
dood, tell me about it. i am not black, but i see it every damn day.

heru
Making it another language, is only given those who don't understand, a opportunity to learn it. People want to know what's being said around them, regardless of what language it is. The fact that it's the English language. The soul language of the United States, makes it even more intolerable for those who don't understand. They have made dictionaries of slang, but it was useless. The usage of the words change so frequently, that about time one studies the dictionary. They're still in limbo. To truly understand, one must grow up in the environment or interact with those from the environment. Bottom line, pretenders get no love, so if you can't hang then don't swing.

Rogue Jedi
are we talking ghetto ebonics here?

heru
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
are we talking ghetto ebonics here?

No, English slang all around the country.

Rogue Jedi
ok. because ghetto ebonics are the epitome of ignorance.

Evil Dead
I disagree. "Ebonics" is ignorance, plain and simple. It is not a dialect nor an accent. The mispronunciation of words could be considered a accent or dialect. Player sounds like playa....door knob sounds like doe knob. This is akin to southerners saying fishin instead of fishing or huntin instead of hunting. That, however, has nothing to do with the complete butchering of the basic parts of speech. Some person stating, "I am going to class" is correct English grammar while someone stating, "yo nigga, I <b>IS</b> headed to da class" is fundamentally incorrect..........due to ignorance of correct English grammar brought on by poor education.

This was the basic gist of the backlash against the california school who wanted to teach "ebonics" around 10 years ago. The very idea is completely racist, implying that the color of one's skin denotes one being uneducated and ignorant to the fundamental structure of their native language.

It has nothing to do with ebony, black. It has to do with ignorance. It's not "ebonics" it's "I'm uneducated and do not know correct grammar". Because a person is black does not mean they do not know how to correctly speak the English language. Because a person is white does not mean they do speak the English language correctly......as I've demonstrated in this post. In the English language, no sentence can begin with the word "because".

so if "ebonics" is the language used by ebony (black) people......does that mean Bryant Gumble, Jesse Jackson and Will Smith are all white? The very idea that the color of a person's skin has anything to do with their level of intelligence is just retarded.

heru
ok. because ghetto ebonics are the epitome of ignorance.

I see you lack the understanding of ghetto slang altogether. Mean while mainstream America is trying to learn it. Now why would someone want to learn ignorance? confused1

Rogue Jedi
i undeerstand ghetto slang prety darn good. its idiotic and repulsive.

Soleran
Originally posted by heru
Now why would someone want to learn ignorance? confused1

I cannot answer that, but I did notice alot of people like to spread ignorance.

debbiejo
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
That's how I feel when you post, you silly, silly illiterate person.

Does someone actually have a source for this?

Or is everybody just going to start foaming at the mouth because of something someone heard, which even if true, would not affect them personally? I don't have or need to post old sources......I live in the Metro(well, just north of it) area and I remember what was in the News papers and what everyone was talking about and also what was on the TV news, and how the school boards were bombarded with angry parents for even considering it..........Do your own research.

Rogue Jedi
easy folks.

Quiero Mota

Rogue Jedi
dude, i AM a bit jealous at your low rider collection. you suck.

Quiero Mota
dude, i AM a bit jealous at your low rider collection. you suck.

cool What can I say??

LethalFemme
cool What can I say??

Hola????tongue_ss

Rogue Jedi
dont be a braggart, baboso. i am more into the hot rod look. my dad has a 69 camaro he is slowly restoring.

Quiero Mota
dont be a braggart, baboso. i am more into the hot rod look. my dad has a 69 camaro he is slowly restoring.

^ Beautiful!

What color and which variant?

The fact that you're also about American muscle, automatically makes us friends. cool

Rogue Jedi
i dont know all about the variant crap, just that it is primer gray. he is gonna deck it out, paint it black. my old 70 silverado is just sitting at his house.

Strangelove

Ebonics is just another variant of the English language, just like any other accent or dialect. It's by no means an "abomination". I'm anything but racist. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like Evil Dead said, mispronouncing words and using improper grammar is not an 'accent' or 'dialect.' It's ignorance, plain and simple. People who use it in everyday conversation obviously have no desire to advance themselves.

Bardock42
I am sure you and ED have very good points, but I kept thinking...who the hell cares.

I think we should just go look at the definition of the word language and if Ebonics fits it, very well, it's a language alright. No racism or anything.

BackFire
Ebonics is just an excuse for idiots to embrace their foolishness and try and give it credibility.

Bardock42
Ebonics is just an excuse for idiots to embrace their foolishness and try and give it credibility.

But whatdoes it matter?

BackFire
It doesn't matter, it's just annoying.

Bardock42
It doesn't matter, it's just annoying.

Hmm, yeah, I guess I can undertsand that.

BackFire
Don't lie, you can't.

Bardock42
Don't lie, you can't.

I lie. I'm, German. Zat's vat vee do.

BackFire
And dirty 'shiza' (shit) videos.

Rogue Jedi
what gets me is when two white people try and use ghetto ebonics.
what up dawg?
fo sho, muthafukka.

Bardock42
what gets me is when two white people try and use ghetto ebonics.
what up dawg?
fo sho, muthafukka. Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Do you mind if I borrow this post? I'm up to 'irony' in my rewriting of the dictionary, and I need an example.

heru
i undeerstand ghetto slang prety darn good. its idiotic and repulsive.

How could you understand ghetto slang. When you can't even spell the word understand. no expression

Fishy
How could you understand ghetto slang. When you can't even spell the word understand. no expression

I really don't see how one is required for the other in this case.

Rogue Jedi
just a typo. smartass.

Strangelove
Do you mind if I borrow this post? I'm up to 'irony' in my rewriting of the dictionary, and I need an example. laughing

You take the cake, sir

Emperor Ashtar
It's just a dialect, of course words are going to pronounced and sound differently. As long as it does not hinder the individulas basic language skills, and isn't out of context I see no harm. It only becomes a problem when people use "Ebonics" in an appropriate time, like when addressing someone unfamiliar or at work or school; Then it's just plain rude.

MightyEInherjar
I don't approve of it being another language. Another dialect is fine, but not another language. Not to mention that it's just another form of segregation to define it as another 'language.' A black youth who speaks ebonics (or as I've found the correct term to be, AAVE) could be turned down by a number of other people in different situations because he, like many immigrants, can't speak English.

I found this article insightful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

Strangelove
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
It's just a dialect, of course words are going to pronounced and sound differently. As long as it does not hinder the individulas basic language skills, and isn't out of context I see no harm. It only becomes a problem when people use "Ebonics" in an appropriate time, like when addressing someone unfamiliar or at work or school; Then it's just plain rude. pronouncing words differently isn't a huge problem, but completely ignoring grammar is where I draw the line.

I wonder if the French got this mad when Quebecois came about... hmm

office jesus
I'm anything but racist. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Like Evil Dead said, mispronouncing words and using improper grammar is not an 'accent' or 'dialect.' It's ignorance, plain and simple. People who use it in everyday conversation obviously have no desire to advance themselves.

Agreed.

debbiejo
Eubonics. bangin

Emperor Ashtar
pronouncing words differently isn't a huge problem, but completely ignoring grammar is where I draw the line.

And that's what makes it a dialect, wether you like it or not.

debbiejo
Eubonics is NOT a dialect. It's not even a real word........It's made up just like the language...

Victor Von Doom
Eubonics is NOT a dialect. It's not even a real word........It's made up just like the language...

'Eubonics' isn't anything.

All languages are made up.

Emperor Ashtar
Aren't all words MADE UP by someone at sometime, and it isn't a language. It's a dialect that plays on preexisting words. The word Ebonics comes from combination of the word "Ebony" and "Pheonics", and it's a dialect created by Hip Hop enthusiast.

debbiejo
Aren't we being even more intelligent today, more than usual....... roll eyes (sarcastic)

Of course all languages are made up, but eubonics has no purpose...We have all the languages we need, especially english..., smart

BackFire
'Eubonics' isn't anything.

All languages are made up.

Eubonics is clearly European Ebonics.

Victor Von Doom
Eubonics is clearly European Ebonics.

You are right.

debbiejo
Eubonics destroys the ability to communicate...........

Emperor Ashtar
The Term was coined by Dr. Robert Williams, I belive in 1973.

No, it doesn't.

Victor Von Doom

How exactly would you justify your posting style then?

You are usually incomprehensible.

debbiejo
How exactly would you justify your posting style then?

You are usually incomprehensible. You wouldn't hurt my feelings on Christmas now would you????

And that's not true, people understand my posts, I just..........gasp a lot.........gasping again............whew..........I heard that was sexy... cool

BackFire
You wouldn't hurt my feelings on Christmas now would you????

And that's not true, people understand my posts, I just..........gasp a lot.........gasping again............whew..........I heard that was sexy... cool

Not when you do it textually, it's not. Get a mic up in this house and gasp and moan, maybe then.

Victor Von Doom
You wouldn't hurt my feelings on Christmas now would you????

Maybe not. Boxing Day here now though.

And that's not true, people understand my posts

Yes, other ones like you.

debbiejo
I'm talking like Marlyn Monroe..............Now you can use your imaginations............. when viewing my posts......... happy

BackFire
I'm talking like Marlyn Monroe..............Now you can use your imaginations............. when viewing my posts......... happy

Not worth it.

Victor Von Doom

Would that be during the overdose?

Emperor Ashtar

Of course all languages are made up, but eubonics has no purpose...We have all the languages we need, especially english..., smart
Yeah, it does have a purpose, it's a dialect used by Hip Hop Enthusiast to communicate. Most subcultures have dialects, so, I don't see how it's a big deal.

debbiejo
Would that be during the overdose? Oooo that was a good one!

This is when suckin up to the President singing happy birthday....

btw boxing day is stupid....

BackFire
Would that be during the overdose?

Hahahaha

Your funny.

=Tired Hiker=

I think if enough people speak it, then why not. But they should learn a common language as well, I can't really imagine Ebonics alone getting anyone very far.

Lord Urizen
YO YO YO

ANIMAL FRO

BARNEY GOT SHOT BY A ----G-I- JO !

Strangelove
And that's what makes it a dialect, wether you like it or not. no, you're wrong.

Dialects of languages may change the way words are pronounced, or even change words altogether, but I've never heard of a dialect that completely ignores the grammar structure of the origin language

Bardock42
no, you're wrong.

Dialects of languages may change the way words are pronounced, or even change words altogether, but I've never heard of a dialect that completely ignores the grammar structure of the origin language

So you are saying it is a different language?

Strangelove
So you are saying it is a different language? of evil, maybe ermm

lil bitchiness
no, you're wrong.

I concur!

Bardock42
no, you're wrong.

Dialects of languages may change the way words are pronounced, or even change words altogether, but I've never heard of a dialect that completely ignores the grammar structure of the origin language Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I concur!

Well, not to piss in anybody's bowl, but the actual definition of the word kinda disagrees.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Dialects

http://www.peak.org/~jeremy/dictionary/chapters/accents.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect

Sorry.

Basically what I want to say, if you don't want to accept it as dialect (or variety of English) you'd have to accept it as language. It's one or the other.

lil bitchiness
Well, not to piss in anybody's bowl, but the actual definition of the word kinda disagrees.

Sorry.

Basically what I want to say, if you don't want to accept it as dialect (or variety of English) you'd have to accept it as language. It's one or the other.

I don't accept it as either, and I don't have to.

Lord Urizen
YO SON I GANGSTA FO SHO SHEEZY WEEEZY FEEZZY MA NEEEEEZY, GORILLA CHEESE DAT SH*T WIT DA FRIEZ !

Emperor Ashtar
no, you're wrong.

Creole does, so, again your wrong, it's a dialect.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I don't accept it as either, and I don't have to.

No, you are right, you don't Though, well, it is one or the other. But I don't want to take your free will or anything.

Victor Von Doom
I don't have or need to post old sources......I live in the Metro(well, just north of it) area and I remember what was in the News papers and what everyone was talking about and also what was on the TV news, and how the school boards were bombarded with angry parents for even considering it..........Do your own research.

Well, no. I don't need to research whether 'they' have made Ebonics 'a separate language'. It's a bs claim.

If someone will claim it, they should back it up, not just say 'I heard', and then expect others to bother looking around.

Bardock42
Also, Strangelove and lil b, if you don't accept it as language and also not as dialect, may I ask what you think it is? Because I find it lacks other options.

Rogue Jedi
Yeah, it does have a purpose, it's a dialect used by Hip Hop Enthusiast to communicate. Most subcultures have dialects, so, I don't see how it's a big deal.
it's like people in the southern states using "y'all" for "you all." people in the north, like in pittsburgh, say "yen's" instead of "y'all."

heru

No, it doesn't, it keeps the outsiders out. Which would be those people same people who don't understand. This is why a great deal despise of it so much.

Rogue Jedi
and who gets to define who the "outsiders" are?

Robtard
No, it doesn't, it keeps the outsiders out. Which would be those people same people who don't understand. This is why a great deal despise of it so much.

Suffering from Xenophobia are we?

heru
and who gets to define who the "outsiders" are?

The ones who dominate that environment, speaking the slang.

Now if you would excuse me. I'm about to bounce to some shortie pad to get some slime, One.

Rogue Jedi
outsiders....i know you dont mean it that way, but it sounds elitist.

heru
Originally posted by Robtard
Suffering from Xenophobia are we?

Not at all, living in a city keeps you around strangers everyday.

Robtard
Not at all, living in a city keeps you around strangers everyday.

Well go up and introduce yourself, they won't be strangers any longer.

Rogue Jedi
exactly. just cuz they live in the hood, or in a rich neighborhood, or whereever, that doesnt make us outsiders.

Emperor Ashtar
For your claim to even be plausible, every person that speaks ebonics would have to use the exact same words and euthamisms. Which is definelty not case at all, seems to me that people simple dislike ebonics and this is why they are making claims that make no sense.

QFT, seems people are just being elitist as usual.

heru
Fortunately I have a life, and better things to do.

Emperor Ashtar
Fortunately I have a life, and better things to do.
So, that just means your aleinating yourself.

heru
For your claim to even be plausible, every person that speaks ebonics would have to use the exact same words and euthamisms. Which is definelty not case at all, seems to me that people simple dislike ebonics and this is why they are making claims that make no sense.

QFT, seems people are just being elitist as usual.

So your saying, the lack of understanding is not one of the reasons of despising it.

Emperor Ashtar
So your saying, the lack of understanding is not one of the reasons of despising it.

I know it's the lack of people not understanding or misunderstanding (Thank you media) ebonics that makes them despise it. But, if you have no knowledge of something, where do you get off claiming it isn't a dialect when it is. Bottom line is, if you don't like ebonics, fine. If you don't understand it, fine as well. But, don't make wild assumptions and critique something you have no kowledge of. Espeially when you make the choice of not wanting to learn anything about it.

Rogue Jedi
there are indeed elitists here in the GDF. i am not gonna name them, for fear of their tendency to....well, you get the rest.

heru
So, that just means your aleinating yourself.

Do you go out on the streets everyday, and introduce yourself to every person you see? no Just because someone tells you there name, does not mean you no them.

heru
I know it's the lack of people not understanding or misunderstanding (Thank you media) ebonics that makes them despise it. But, if you have no knowledge of something, where do you get off claiming it isn't a dialect when it is. Bottom line is, if you don't like ebonics, fine. If you don't understand it, fine as well. But, don't make wild assumptions and critique something you have no kowledge of. Espeially when you make the choice of not wanting to learn anything about it.

I agree.

Emperor Ashtar
Do you go out on the streets everyday, and introduce yourself to every person you see? no Just because someone tells you there name, does not mean you no them.

What are you talking about, your the one that said ebonics keeps people from understanding "outsiders" or each other. And, as it was said before, they are only unfimilair to you because YOU DON'T KNOW THEM. So, how is it a language barrier if you don't even want to associate yourself with people who speak ebonics?

Rogue Jedi
we should do like in seinfeld when mayor guilani proposed that all NY citizens wear name tags.

heru
What are you talking about, your the one that said ebonics keeps people from understanding "outsiders" or each other. And, as it was said before, they are only unfimilair to you because YOU DON'T KNOW THEM. So, how is it a language barrier if you don't even want to associate yourself with people who speak ebonics?

Ebonics keeps people from understanding outsiders.

What are you talking about? I said speaking slang keeps those, who do not understand it out.

Not keeping those who speak slang incompetent to outsiders.

Personally I like slang, one just have to know when and when not to use it.

Rogue Jedi
but why would they wanna keep them out?

Emperor Ashtar
Ebonics keeps people from understanding outsiders.

What are you talking about? I said speaking slang keeps those, who do not understand it out.

And like I said, what's the point if your not even going to speak to the these so called "Outsiders" in the first place.

Personally I like slang, one just have to know when and when not to use it.

I already made a point about that earlier.

heru
but why would they wanna keep them out?

Same reason why one who speaks Spanish and English. Decides to speak Spanish in front of one of there peers.

1. It's more comfortable for the two, to engage in there native tongue

2. To throw a person off, who do not speak spanish when talking about them

3. To keep a confidential conversation, if there in a area where no one speaks spanish.

Rogue Jedi
i love when someone speaks spanish in front of me to be secretive. i speak just enough that i understand the jist of it.

Emperor Ashtar
Same reason why one who speaks Spanish and English. Decides to speak Spanish in front of one of there peers.

1. It's more comfortable for the two, to engage in there native tongue

2. To throw a person off, who do not speak spanish when talking about them

3. To keep a confidential conversation, if there in a area where no one speaks spanish.

1. And that's bad, why?

2. That depends on the person.

3. wouldn't that fit in as #2 also?

heru

And like I said, what's the point if your not even going to speak to the these so called "Outsiders" in the first place.

I never said I wouldn't speak to outsiders. I just wouldn't speak slang to them, because they may not understand me. Now if they speak it first, then it will let me know that they understand.

heru
1. And that's bad, why?

2. That depends on the person.

3. wouldn't that fit in as #2 also?

2 would be about someone else

While 3 could be something personal about the speaker.

Strangelove
Creole does, so, again your wrong, it's a dialect. 'a creole language' as a phrase means the combination of two languages, in which pronunciations of words as well as grammar structures can easily be mixed. So the actual language Creole is more than likely a creole language itself, and therefore it doesn't count, because it has two origin languages.Originally posted by Bardock42

Sorry.

Basically what I want to say, if you don't want to accept it as dialect (or variety of English) you'd have to accept it as language. It's one or the other. Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I don't accept it as either, and I don't have to. I don't feel like it's a language or a dialect, it's glorified jargon.

Emperor Ashtar

I never said I wouldn't speak to outsiders. I just wouldn't speak slang to them, because they may not understand me. Now if they speak it first, then it will let me know that they understand.

This is what you said:

Meaning you would not approach them at all.

heru
This is what you said:

Meaning you would not approach them at all.

What would be my reason to approach them?

To find out do thing speak slang? no expression

Emperor Ashtar
I don't feel like it's a language or a dialect, it's glorified jargon.

Because you dislike it, doesn't mean it is not a dialect. You have yet to explain why it's not a dialect, and FYI some forms of ebonics incorporate words from other languages as well, just like creole.

Emperor Ashtar
What would be my reason to approach them?

To find out do thing speak slang? no expression

If you don't apporaoch them, then don't claim there keeping outsiders out by speaking there dialect. When it's obvious that's not the case.

Strangelove
Because you dislike it, doesn't mean it is not a dialect. You have yet to explain why it's not a dialect, and FYI some forms of ebonics incorporate words from other languages as well. It's not the fact that I dislike it that I discount it as a dialect. I dislike it at the same time that I discount it as a 'dialect' or 'accent.' Like I just said, it's glorified jargon

heru
If you don't apporaoch them, then don't claim there keeping outsiders out by speaking there dialect. When it's obvious that's not the case.

Do you approach people to see if they speak slang?

Emperor Ashtar
It's not the fact that I dislike it that I discount it as a dialect. I dislike it at the same time that I discount it as a 'dialect' or 'accent.' Like I just said, it's glorified jargon

No, you said it is not a dialect. You did not say that you do not feel it is not a dialect. If you don't feel it's a dialect, then fine, we can end this debate here. But, claiming it is not one is a whole different agenda.again, how is it not a dialect, what disqualifies it from being a dialect?

Emperor Ashtar
Do you approach people to see if they speak slang?
That's not what you said, you claimed it keeps outsiders from communicating with others. How is that so, if according to you. You will not even approach a stranger, anyway?

heru
That's not what you said, you claimed it keeps outsiders from communicating with others. How is that so, if according to you. You will not even approach a stranger, anyway?

Answer the question yes or no

Emperor Ashtar
Answer the question yes or no
Stop dancing around the point, please. How can ebonics create a barrier according to you, If you won't even approach anyone you don't know?

heru
Stop dancing around the point please, how can eboics create a barrier according to you. If you won't even approach anyone you don't know?

The fact that you can't give me a yes or no answer. Lets me know I'm wasting my time. Have a good night and enjoy your new years.

One.

Emperor Ashtar
The fact that you can't give me a yes or no answer. Lets me know I'm wasting my time. Have a good night and enjoy your new years.

One.

Why would I give you an answer, to an obvious ploy to sidetrack me proving you wrong? You claimed that ebonics creates a barrier to people communicating. Despite also claiming you would not approach someone you do not know.You contradict yourself greatly, and now attempt to shift the focus away from me, by posting a random question.

Strangelove
No, you said it is not a dialect. You did not say that you do not feel it is not a dialect. If you don't feel it's a dialect, then fine, we can end this debate here. But, claiming it is not one is a whole different agenda.again, how is it not a dialect, what disqualifies it from being a dialect? If I say it is not a dialect, isn't it a given that I don't feel that it's a dialect?

I apologize, I'm too used to all of the implications of what I'm saying being conveyed through my voice, rather than written words. It's difficult to spell it all out.

Upon looking it up (in Wikipedia), I can determine that Ebonics is not a dialect. Mostly because dialect is used as too broad a term these days. Specifically, Ebonics is an ethnolect, a 'type variety' of the English language. While dialect restricts the classification to geographical areas, where ebonics would definitely not apply, an ethnolect is quite correct since it is predominately used by blacks.

So i guess we were both correct, technically.

I still don't like it though no expression

Emperor Ashtar
If I say it is not a dialect, isn't it a given that I don't feel that it's a dialect?

I apologize, I'm too used to all of the implications of what I'm saying being conveyed through my voice, rather than written words. It's difficult to spell it all out.

Upon looking it up (in Wikipedia), I can determine that Ebonics is not a dialect. Mostly because dialect is used as too broad a term these days. Specifically, Ebonics is an ethnolect, a 'type variety' of the English language. While dialect restricts the classification to geographical areas, where ebonics would definitely not apply, an ethnolect is quite correct since it is predominately used by blacks.

So i guess we were both correct, technically.

I still don't like it though no expression
Actually, alot of caucasians use ebonics as well. So, I doubt wikipedia is correct, I belive it's more of a sociolect (SP), blacks haven't predominantly spoken ebonics since the 90's.

Strangelove
Actually, alot of caucasians use ebonics as well. So, I doubt wikipedia is correct, I belive it's more of a sociolect (SP), blacks haven't predominantly spoken ebonics since the 90's. Wikipedia is probably a little behind, and I bet many blacks are turned off the ebonics these days because grotty little middle class white kids are hijacking it to try and sound 'cool'

your spelling was correct, but I don't think it's a sociolect because its use isn't restricted to a single social class.

ethnolect is probably more correct than any other classification we could come up with

debbiejo
Using eubonics will not make you look or sound educated.

Rogue Jedi
"y'all" reckon we gonna go over "yonder" to the OTF?

Emperor Ashtar
Wikipedia is probably a little behind, and I bet many blacks are turned off the ebonics these days because grotty little middle class white kids are hijacking it to try and sound 'cool'

I don't like speaking ebonics much anymore,Simply because the words have become very over the top stupid and just random. I'm from new York, and the Ebonics we used to speak was more comprehensible and not over the top. I have no problem with white people speaking ebonics, I do however have a problem with ebonics becoming a language and commercial.

your spelling was correct, but I don't think it's a sociolect because its use isn't restricted to a single social class. Oh, Ok.

Emperor Ashtar
Using eubonics will not make you look or sound educated.

That's funny coming from you.

Shalimar_fox
frankly i find noting wrong with it whats the differentice between "Kidd that was so thigh" &"Dude how rad,totaly cool"why target one form of slang and not the rest is it becuase black people use it.well it's about how people wish to express them self

back on page one someone made an comment abouut how it's used by black youth that that long ago threw away their potential for success. i'm taking it your white.well what gives you or any other race the right to determen what success for another race.don't try an make it seem like white kids are the perfect little angels,or like your ice is colder.white kids do everything an black kid dose and some more it's just the in this world it's being covered up so well.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>