Greatest Philosopher Of All Time?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm
Who do you consider to be the greatest philosopher of all time?

Explain your nomination. How did you make your choice? By what criteria did you measure a philosopher' s significance?

Depending on the amount of nominations, the candidates will be narrowed down to ten or five.

Fire
I want to nominate more than one, but I'm not allowed stick out tongue, So if I have to narrow it down to one I'm using Aristotle. His ideas (especially from the politea) have been important long after his death. He was able to learn from his master and at the same time formulate his own idea's.

Mindship
Does he/she have to be dead?

xmarksthespot
Homer...

...Simpson. happy

Bardock42
Originally posted by Mindship

Hahahaha, "she", hahaha.

Fire
no Mindship I don't think he or she has to be death

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Fire
no Mindship I don't think he or she has to be death Death is a she. stick out tongue

Thanos doesn't swing that way. happy

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Bardock42
Hahahaha, "she", hahaha.

It's funny because it's true.

Storm
Originally posted by Mindship
No.

xmarksthespot
Can they be fictional? hmm

Storm
No.

lil bitchiness
Hmm, I don't think I can come up with one greatest philosopher. There are variety of philosophers, who were interested in different things. I see Marx as a political philosopher, who showed little or no interest in metaphysics and the nature of world.

We have Plato and Aristotle, who were political but also social and in case of Aristotle, interested in such things as metaphysics. Things which go beyond social structures and roles.

Out of the two, I would perfer Plato of course, since unlike Aristotle, was not a misogynist.
However I still hesitate to call Plato the single best one.

In anycase, I would not be able to point to a single philosopher as ''the best''.

Bardock42
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
Can they be fictional? hmm

Wouldn't the author be the Philosopher then?

Blue_Hefner
Jesus

xmarksthespot
She said no fictional philosophers. erm

Lord Urizen
Buddha

or Jesus Christ

they seem to have had the most powerful influence on people to this date....

lil bitchiness
She said no fictional philosophers. erm

Jesus is a historical figure, so technically he is not fictional.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Jesus is a historical figure, so technically he is not fictional.

Well his existence has not really been proven.

Jesus doesn't really apply as Philosopher in such a case. As he might very well be fictional, or at least most of his teachings and actions.

Mindship
Initial considerations...
Hegel
Wilber
Rand

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Jesus is a historical figure, so technically he is not fictional. That he's (presumably) based on an actual person doesn't really make the Biblical incarnation any more non-fiction than the Coca Cola bastardization that is Santa... erm

Fire
Keep it on topic guys

Fishy
That he's (presumably) based on an actual person doesn't really make the Biblical incarnation any more non-fiction than the Coca Cola bastardization that is Santa... erm

That would still make his philosophy's good now wouldn't it?

Still I would go for somebody like Plato or Budda

thedrownedgod
adam smith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.